Sellier & Bellot .45 ACP Ammo

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Gruxxx, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Gruxxx

Gruxxx NRA Endowment Life Member Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I've been seeing some good deals lately on S&B .45 ACP 230 grn FMJ ammo. I reload, but also like to keep a healthy supply of factory stock. Two questions. #1, Is this stuff decent practice ammo? ...and #2, How is the brass for reloading? I Duck-Duck-Go'd it and only found some 2011-ish discussions that seemed to have a consensus that the primer pockets needed to be swaged.

2. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm sure some S&B made it into my target ammo bins. I don't recall if it needed swaged or not.
    It's good target ammo and good brass. And more importantly, something you didn't ask, it's all large primer pocket.

1911srule and Gruxxx like this.
  3. Gruxxx

Gruxxx NRA Endowment Life Member Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    PAcanis likes this.
  4. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:

That's something you only let happen once :17:

Birdman and Gruxxx like this.
  5. oathkeeper762

oathkeeper762 Bushbum & PT Wanderer Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I only have experience with the .45 acp fmj ammo but I really like it. I’ve had no feed issues, good brass, and my 1911’s really like it, as it’s very accurate and I get very nice groups. I reload and scrounge brass and I can’t recall having any specific issues with the primer pockets.

Gruxxx likes this.
  6. chesterpulley

chesterpulley Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Yes, decent brass and yes, tight primer pockets. I reloaded the same 200 cases ten times with a pretty healthy dose of Unique and they all made it through with no cracks or splits. Can't say that for a few other brands of brass.

Re: the primer pockets. I've chamfered them with decent results and swaging obviously works. Honestly I never noticed it until I started throwing them in the mixed brass rotation. They are far less forgiving of sloppy alignment at the primer station than other common ACP brass. They do tend to get a bit more agreeable after a couple firings.

JoeJ and Gruxxx like this.
  7. Mikem

Mikem Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Some of the S&B loads have heavy primer coating (red) that tends to gunk up pistols after awhile. Had 9mm the primers were hard, my Springfield 1911 would get a few FTF every mag or so, would fire on a second go.

8. Guy

Guy Founder Staff Member Administrator Vendor Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I use a 310 tool for rimmed cartridges and I purchased quite a few of the S&B .45 Colt a few years ago during a sale. They are the only ones that have bent the primer extractor on the die set. I had to replace one on the first 50 rounds. I just threw away the brass for the S&B after that and never purchased more. The HSM uses starline and are a decent price, so I just purchase those when on sale now.

9. azmike9

azmike9 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have always had good experiences with S&B ammo . 45 ACP and 9mm.

10. JoeJ

JoeJ Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I’ve reloaded S&B brass as range pickup brass and have always found the primer pockets to be tighter than most others. I’ve never altered them in any way but my progressive tells me when I encounter a S&B as it takes just a tad extra to seat the primer.

95% of my 45ACP brass is Starline +P brass and like most 45ACP brass you will probably lose it before it will split - meaning it won’t split for several years.:1: