Selling my Tacoma

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by americanstrat98, Mar 15, 2019 at 1:15 PM.

1. americanstrat98

americanstrat98 Wanderer Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Yep, I'm selling my 2wd Tacoma. For the first time in 14 years I won't be driving a Tacoma. I love the reliability, but honestly when you have to pull your truck out of your back yard with a garden tractor for the tenth time it's time to make a judgement call. No I won't be upgrading to another older 4x4 Tacoma due to the amount of money it costs to get one in the same condition.

00S0S_cOwswBRpYQq_600x450.jpg

The requirements for the new used truck are 4x4, 4 seats (don't care about 4 doors), and a towing capacity north of 8,000lbs. I have land that I have to manage, and a tractor to maintain, but I also have a son, and will be having another child within the next two years. All of this has to come in under $ 9,000. I'm gonna pocket $1,000 for unforseen expenses that come with a change in vehicles.

I am thinking a 1998 Dodge 1500 Sport, or a 2001 Chevy Z71 with the Vortec motor. Unmodified of course with the exception of a winch. I could think of at least 10 good reasons to have/use a winch right off the bat.

Any suggestions out there on specific models. I like Fords, but their line up is hard to sort through. Give me some ideas for a Bushcraft truck.

2. wvridgerunner

wvridgerunner BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Search for trucks on car fax and cars r us. I have rented cars to pick up vehicles out off my area to get exactly what I wanted. Look the frames over really close rust can be a big problem.

3. Monkeynono

Monkeynono Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Keep the Taco, buy a beater for the yard.

4. oldpinecricker

oldpinecricker Guide

Blog Posts:
    Keep the taco and find an older Chevy 4x4 Silverado junker for the work portion.

I've got two Dodge Cummins diesel trucks but my nephew's wife has an nice 1995 Silverado extra cab 4x4. The truck is in nice shape but the motor is essentially destroyed. I can get a crate motor for this for under 3k and have cheap parts and a decent 4x4 beater for the woods or even cross country.

woodsmanjohn and Gruntinhusaybah like this.
  5. americanstrat98

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the advise folks, but I'm selling it. I don't want to maintain 2 trucks, 2 cars, 2 motorcycles. One truck is enough. If it's in my yard you can count on me maintaining it.

As I said I'm going for either a

2001 Z71
    2002 Dodge 2500
    1998 Dodge 1500 Sport
    98-02 Toyota SR5 4DR 5Spd 4x4

Let me know of any legendary models I am missing. Some specific models from the big three are known for their durability, so those are the ones I am looking for. I won't be buying a pre 1998 American vehicle, and yes there are a slew of trucks I have no interest in. My dad , borther, cousin all had 2001 Z71's with the Vortec and other than a alternator, or interior part quality they were dependable trucks that are still pulling their boats and tractors.

I will be searching for clean vehicles that are well maintained, and will likely buy from my neighboring states. I haven't bought a vehicle locally, ever. There isn't much around here.

@oldpinecricker , those Dodge 2500/3500 with Cummins are fine machines. If I find the right model I just may pick it up. I've heard the transmission is their week point if you hop up the motors, so I'd be looking for a stock one.

@wvridgerunner , my thoughts exactly. There are some excellent models with the right options out there if you are willing to travel. I am.

woodsmanjohn likes this.
  6. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    No Dodge
    No Chevy

The mines out here go through thousands of pickups.
    They pick Fords for lots of reasons, reliability is a big one.
    Ford.

7. americanstrat98

Blog Posts:
    More cowbell

Lode, buckfynn, woodsmanjohn and 2 others like this.
  8. americanstrat98

Blog Posts:
    Much better, lol. There are certain models from each brand that I would not buy with your money much less mine. Just need help narrowing the field. I do like Fords, but there are so many models to look at from. 98-2002. Any specifics?

NevadaBlue likes this.
  9. oldpinecricker

oldpinecricker Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yes the super duty stuff from Ford is decent and you see tons of it even in what is called the Middle East or Central Asia.

Ford does have it junk though in their 5.4 5.7 Triton motors and the older v-6 series in their ranger and explorer were not so good.

The real issue with the Triton light duty stuff is they had threads for spark plugs that were only contacting on one or two threads. It was an threading issue that turned out to be a problem for owners.

Just my opinion. Beside old Toyota Hilux trucks the most reliable domestic trucks made were the 94-98 Dodge Cummins p-pump trucks and the old 7.3 Ford powerstroke models. No other domestic trucks since or before have the longevity of these two diesels. They might have smaller build or mechanical issues here and there but overall the motor and run life longevity is unlike anything we have today.

10. JC1

JC1 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Get a toyota, everything else will require more work and maintenance

11. oldpinecricker

oldpinecricker Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yes. As long as your looking at a 4cyl. The Toyota 8cyl do not have the reputation of toughness and longevity of the 4cyl and Diesel engines Toyota put out in the past. Just putting a starter on an Toyota v8 is an exercise in difficulty.

12. JC1

JC1 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I know of a few guys with the 6 and 8 that are close to 200k miles

woodsmanjohn likes this.
  13. Wasp

Wasp We are GO for Sting! Supporter

Blog Posts:
    What about an early 90's ford? They look good and are really easy to work on yourself. You can practically climb under the hood. Already are or can easily be set up to haul more. Can still find parts and upgrades.

Like this 95 F250 4x4
    [​IMG]

14. HoustonB77

HoustonB77 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You see mainly fords in the Texas oil fields also. Huge companies are buying fords for a reason.

woodsmanjohn likes this.
  15. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Yep. I had a 92 1/2 ton 4x4 and ran it a long time. Then my son ran it after I gave it to him. He just bought my ‘06 Tundra or he would still be running it. Good trucks.

We found out at the mines that for general purpose use, the 1/2 ton rigs held up better than 3/4 ton ones. The rough roads were actually easier on the 1/2 ton suspension and frames. Of course, it IS necessary to drive at least 75 on dirt roads... :rolleyes:

americanstrat98 likes this.
  16. Toytech

Toytech Scout

Blog Posts:
    2000-2006 Toyota Tundra? Around me they seem to go for cheaper than the same year Tacoma`s . Yes the 4.7 is a timing belt engine so there is a bit more maintenance , but they are pretty rock solid engines with decent power .

woodsmanjohn and americanstrat98 like this.
  17. Roamer

Roamer Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    If you can raise your price range up to around $15k you could get into a later-model F-150 (2010-ish). I'd shoot for that.

woodsmanjohn likes this.
  18. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    Btw, I haven't been a ford guy for a really long time. But I was trying to be practical for yojr requests and I feel that was the last generation of really well built trucks anyway. Most these days are built for looks, city driving, or just so someone can say they drive a truck. Back then they built trucks to be a truck, and they were good at it.

19. JKR

JKR Scout

Blog Posts:
    How about putting a winch on the Tacoma? And does it already have a limited slip differential or a positive-traction rear end? If not, how about just upgrading that with an Air-Locker or similar? That and maybe some more aggressive tire tread pattern might fix you right up. JMHO YMMV :)

20. Dillon Finan

Dillon Finan Tracker

Blog Posts:
    look for a nissan frontier 4x4 they are cheaper than yotas, but just as reliable.

21. PLackey

PLackey Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Don't get a pre 97 ford 1/2 ton with a 5 speed. The tow rating on the m5od was 3500 lb. F250 like wasp mentioned would be good. Zf 5 speed it a tank. You will have to maintain it (a lot) or anything over 15 yr old.

+1 to avoid 90s dodge. Not mopar's better years.

woodsmanjohn and americanstrat98 like this.
  22. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    :11:Sacrilege:11:

23. Dillon Finan

Dillon Finan Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Always been a Pagan - in my roots!
    hahaha

24. PLackey

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, if it's paid for, I would be tempted to get a used e-locker rear axle and some knobbies. Four wheel drive is good for getting you stuck even deeper.

Then again I got rid of my 2w sr5 for a jeep, so I'm not one to talk.

25. Gruntinhusaybah

Gruntinhusaybah Fallbrook Forge Hobbyist Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Sell that truck in Ca, you’ll get 20ish for it.

As for a new to you truck.
    That budget, I’d look at at a 90s F250 DIESEL
    Or a Dodge Ram 2500 DIESEL, if it was my money it’d be the dodge, and I’d go 97 or OLDER. The 12 valve Cummins is the best truck engine made. Ever.

They both have their specific issues and quirks, but both have huge followings and all the info is available to you online.

hidden_lion, nomad orphan and aaronu like this.
  26. Bluetech

Bluetech Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    If you're looking for reliability in one of these try and find an f350 so you get a solid front axle. Rebuilt many a Dana 50 in obs fords I've owned. Other than that imo these are fantastic rigs. I've had 4 in this body style now and now have the previous.

PLackey and americanstrat98 like this.
  27. Bluetech

Blog Posts:
    If I was going to use it to actually do something that made me think I needed a 3/4 ton you would be hard pressed to beat a super duty. I wouldnt buy a diesel unless I had a need for one especially for the prices they go for used now. Otherwise it sounds like you're pretty sold on the 01 chevy thing. I've always preferred fords unless I owned a diesel. I always had better luck with the cummins than the power strokes. My 96 dodge 1500 with a 5.9 I sold 5 years ago with 186ish thousand on it and it's still running around today. Whatever I bought if it was older like that and I didnt consider myself to be a mechanic I'd take it to an independent shop to have it inspected before i bought it. Good luck!

28. americanstrat98

Blog Posts:
    That baby is gorgeous, but a pretty penny indeed. There are a few of that caliber within 3-400 miles, but most of the ones under $10k are hammered like a bent nail.

My step-dad has had a Powerstroke F350 Lariat for about 20 years and it has been a real work horse. He is deplorable with maintenance and that thing keeps on truckin. He has a Yamaha ATV he bought in 2000 and it is still on the original motor oil. :eek:.

I'm down here for the weekend with them and talking it over with them, and my Dad. I've built up enough respect with them that they'll let me borrow their trucks, boats, tractors when I need them. I'm not known for getting stuck and breaking it, but I really hate borrowing things.

Recently my brothers have purchased Jeeps and I've rented Jeeps a few times and other than the low towing capacity they would be handy around the property. Of course I'm talking about the TJ's with the inline 4.0. If I got a jeep I would buy a 5x8 trailer to go with it. I have a canoe/kayak trailer and access to my neighbors 6x10' trailer any time I need it.

I'm not really stuck on anything. I can rebuild darn near anything, but once it is built I'd like for it to stay built. I dont mind going through bushings, shocks, hoses, but transmissions and motors are another matter.

Toyota V6's ever since 1997 have been some fine motors. You guys don't know what you're missing. Are they as good as the 22RE? I dunno, but they are nothing like the early 90's V6 with the head gasket problems that Toyota made. The 4.0 VVT-I has racked up a pretty decent rep.

A locker had crossed my mind, but I've used a truck with lockers on the very road leading out of my hunting spots and it'll drive you straight into the swamp if you don't have anything pulling weight up front. Our tracors barely make it out of there, but I have never had so much as a hickup with my old Toyota 4x4, my brothers Jeep. My dad told me just a minute ago that this year he got the 4-wheeler stuck, then got his Chevy stuck trying to get it out. He had to go grab the tractor with 4x4 to get them all out.

Something I didn't mention is that the heavy diesels do run the risk of sinking in my yard. My neighbors looked like a bunch of goofballs trying to pull a guy out of his front yard last year. There were three trucks, two tractors, and a bull Dozier pulling them all out like a train by the end of it. What were the trucks? A Tundra, then an F350, then a Chevy HD, lol.

Thanks for sharing the thoughts and wisdom. :dblthumb:

Toytech, PLackey and Bluetech like this.
  29. Manzi1

Manzi1 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Mid 90's Toyota Xcab. Not so computer-centric. Manual. Buy a second a build a trailer from it.

Be patient and cruise craigslist / cargurus / ebay

I've been looking for a V6 Tundra, Manual or a Xcab 90's Truck. However when I'm able to buy I can't find one.LOL. When I'm back to work I'll see 3 or 4 that I would consider buying???

Bluetech likes this.
  30. Bluetech

Blog Posts:
    10 grand good lord. That's insane. If one was pristine it would go for that but I'm in iowa so almost any you find have some rust but around here they can be had from 1500 to 4k pretty easy. Of course that goes up if it's a diesel through. I've had the urge to find a first gen cummins lately and I found one in Missouri with almost no rust. 1992 7k dollars and 280k when the odometer quit. Crazy prices on used diesels these days.

31. Bluetech

Blog Posts:
    You're right about that jeep 4.0 if I didnt tow much ever and was more worried about mud and swamps than snow and cold that's likely what I would go for. Darn near indestructible drive train with a 5 speed behind it. What state are you in if you dont mind me asking

32. PLackey

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, i bought a 5x8 trailer to go with my jeep. Tow rating is low, but I'm not getting stuck.

The new tacoma 3.5 is a dog. No low end grunt. Great gas mileage though.

If you are after a older oil burner, the Cummins is the engine. Shame it comes in a dodge. Great engine with a garbage transmission and truck body. Newer trucks are probably better, but 90s...pass.

3/4 ton Chevy has ball joint and steering issues with the IFS.

Stupid Doodies from 03 on are ok. That was the switch from Dana 50 to 60 I believe. There are some engine repairs that require removing the cab though. Kinda stupid design.

33. Monkeynono

Monkeynono Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I am a Chevy guy at heart but you couldn't give me a post 1989 Chevy. The IFS is sloppy, the steering is a suggestion at best. Here they rot extremely bad, I have done a absurd amount of brake lines on them.

If I had to buy a Chevy then it would be a 3500 there 2500 don't really carry weight well in my opinion, and the 3500 only slightly better.

As far a Dodge ,I owned a 2500 v10 loved that truck. Only sold it cause I needed more doors. Yes the dodge will spit the trans out at some point. It hauled weight and towed very well.

To me 1/2 ton truck are for DD, and not truck stuff.

Every fleet we service uses Ford's, and I drive a 2010 F350 6.4ps

34. americanstrat98

Blog Posts:
    Just a slight detour. I found my old CarDomain page. I bought this when I was 21 for $600. It had 390,000 miles on it.
    26304960002_large.jpg
    26304960003_large.jpg

I spent 3 months stripping it down, rebuilding the motor, interior, and drivetrain on a $2000 budget. Converted the interior to SR5 too :).
    images(30).jpg

images(32).jpg

I kept it for 7 years and drove it up to 650,000 miles. Man I loved this thing.
    26304960020_original.jpg

Thanks for the ideas folks. What you guys are saying is stuff I've heard before many times. The perfect deisel truck would likely be a Cummins shoved in a Ford, with a Chevy badge on the grill lol. My first truck was an 85 K10 Chevy and I do miss old blue.

I'm keeping my ears to the ground, and have the family out looking. There are good deals to be had for under 8 grand all day in the Shoppers, Craigslist ect. The old folks around here that take good care of their stuff aren't exactly tech savvy, but I've seen a few diamonds in the rough. My main thing is starting with a machine that isn't modded with wide wheels, big lifts , and shoddy wiring.

35. JoeJ

JoeJ Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    How can you say that!? All you need to do is remove the hood, strip the top of the motor down, plug the cylinders, place a sheet of cardboard on top of the block, stand on your head close to the firewall, scrap your knuckles and 3 hours later it’s done if everything goes right. At least for the 2001 Tundra/Sequoia that was the drill.

36. JoeJ

JoeJ Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    If you go the locker route, you really need “on-demand” lockers such as ARB air lockers but there are others. A posi rear is nice and probably more practical than lockers for most people.

37. hidden_lion

hidden_lion Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I love the dodge trucks above chevy pr ford. I have a 2008 dodge now, it's a great truck. I have had a 1994 which was awesome but had to sell before I moved to Italy for a while. I have had two 1ton dodge Van's which input over 380,000 miles on and did things only a 4x4 should have been used for. The 360 is an outstanding motor and still easy enough to work on. The fords look nice, but I just cant seem to trust them as far. The Chevy always seems to feel underpowered, even though they have good numbers and it seems they have early tranny problems, but I have no experience with them past 2000 so it may be a different best now.

Bluetech and americanstrat98 like this.
  38. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    My dad drives a 2010 Dodge 3500 4x4 with a straight six w/ turbo. He uses it for construction and hauls heavy loads and trailers dump loads with up to 20,000 lbs. He does have a steel bed on it with a fifth wheel attachment but never uses it. Gas milage is really good and overall it has been a good truck.

But personally, you couldn't sell me a Dodge. :)

39. americanstrat98

Blog Posts:
    Twist of fate Ladies and Gents. My step Brother's dad has a 2008 4x4 SR5 with lockers, a camper and rails and that he would sell to me for 10k. It was purchased from one of our cousins after he got too old to drive, and it has a good history. I'll only be out of pocket 1 grand after selling my truck and will be upgrading to leather seats, a camper shell , and roof rails.

This looks like a deal that is too good to pass up. IMG_0660~2.jpg

IMG_0663~3.jpg

40. Swampdog

Swampdog Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Heck yes, that's a good deal for sure.

41. squishware

squishware Troubleshooter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    tow rating though?

42. americanstrat98

Blog Posts:
    6,500 lbs which is what I currently have. The reason I was going with 8k or higher on an older truck was so I wouldn't be pushing it too hard when pulling our tractor which weighs 5,000lbs approx. Since I would be able to get the same generation truck with the same pull weight I wouldnt be loosing anything , but gaining 4wd, a locking diff, and a camper shell/rack.

The only reason I was getting an older truck was because I couldn't afford to buy a second generation tacoma with this package. I do believe hell has frozen over, because the dealership offered him 11k today for trade in, but he is willing to sell it to me for 10k because I'm his sons step brother.

@Swampdog
    I'd buy that for a dollar!

43. Bluetech

Blog Posts:
    Switch happened in 99 with the intro of the super duty. Since 99 it has always been a straight axle. 03 is when they went from the 7.3 to 6.0 mid year so 03 on would technically be worse unless you have the coin to bulletproof that 6.0 if going the diesel route

44. americanstrat98

Blog Posts:

My step dad's thoughts exactly. He said the only way he would own the 6.0 is if it was bullet proofed. I remember the day he brought home the 7.3. There was a Greyhound bus stuck on the railroad tracks and he got this huge grin on his face. We detoured over to them and asked if they needed help, and they said yes. We pulled that Greyhound full of people forward over the railroad tracks and he still tells that story to people. The 7.3 trucks have such a unique sound with that turbo.

A similar thing occured with the Toyota pickup in the photo above. I was down in the sand dunes a couple of weeks after building the motor, and was doing my best to score a date. We were all swimming when this joker backs his 2500 HD to the Rivers edge so they could sit on the tailgate and dangle their feet in the water. Well he got stuck, and his truck started sliding into the water, so me, and about 10 guys and gals loaded up my little Toyota and we pulled that truck out of the river. I got a date out of the deal too.

fatcat55, squishware and Bluetech like this.
  45. wrath0r

wrath0r Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The only thing I'd throw out there for you is try airing the tires down a bit when you'll be in the yard. That will put more rubber on the ground and let you get more grip.

46. hidden_lion

hidden_lion Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Very nice

47. PLackey

Blog Posts:
    Front axle was a solid d50 from 99 to mid 02. D60 after that. 9" vs 9.5" ring gear, slightly thinner shafts, same housings.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019 at 9:56 AM
  48. Bluetech

Blog Posts:
    Ya and I cant remember what constitutes gettin a 60 over a 50 in those years. Thought it was a dually had a 60 but it could have been the diesel option made it s 60. One of the two but cant remember

49. PLackey

Blog Posts:
    All srw.

50. americanstrat98

Blog Posts:
    I've been using that Kung Fu treachery since I was little with our 2wd ATV. I run them down to 10lbs in the yard, and 31lbs on the highway, and 20lbs in Rocky terrain.

I only got stuck in Colorado once during the winter, and would regularly go into mamouth gulch, and up towards the lakes around James Peak. I'd be up there with all the crawlers in my 2wd drive much to their chargrin. Slow and steady wins the race sometimes.

This Alabama slop is a whole nother story though. We have some sections on our land that I've been dying to get a vehicle in to harvest fatwood. Having a 4x4 will get me in and out, no problem.

Thanks again everyone for helping a brother out. I was gearing up for the great truck search of 2019, until a Tacoma fell in my lap. Being blessed with good family/friends is an understatement.

wrath0r likes this.