Sewing Kit

Discussion in 'Self-made Gear' started by Flint_2016, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Flint_2016

Flint_2016 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Last night I was bored so I decided to make something.I keep miscellaneous items like leather scraps,claws(imitation bear claws,teeth(buffalo),fur scraps,etc.Included was a section of dried Japanese Knotweed stalk,much like bamboo,but more brittle and subjected to split and crack.Japanese knotweed has hollow stems with distinct raised nodes that give it the appearance of bamboo, though it is not closely related I had watched a youtube video about how a guy made a Saami type sewing kit,don't recall what wood he had used,but it met his needs.So I took the 6",more or less,section of J Knotweed(Fallopia japonica)a section of leather cut to size so it would wrap around it,and used leather lace to bind it.And just to further show it off,I used a plastic stencil of a vine,using green acrylic paint to paint it on.I'm not exactly what you'd call an artist or craftsman,my carving skills minimal,being an amateur level.Kit-wise,I placed into a square section of leather attached to a leather lanyard,two sewing needles(more like sail needles size-wise),and a threader,and at the opposite end(the top)I placed an awl that is also used for a stitcher.It's like a pin vice where you can attach different sized stitchers.Altogether,it turned out quite decent I must say for being an amateur craftsman.
    saamisewingkit (8).JPG
    saamisewingkit (6).JPG
    The thread,somewhat heavy duty,is wrapped around the groove of the wooden stopper
    saamisewingkit (7).JPG
    saamisewingkit (1).JPG
    Unfortunately the acrylic paint being runny,went outside the lines of the stencil

2. Hook

Hook Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I like it. Well done.

Flint_2016 likes this.
  3. Falcon45

Falcon45 Scout Lifetime Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Very cool..........great job!

Flint_2016 likes this.
  4. Flint_2016

Flint_2016 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thanks.Took only about 45 minutes to make.It'll be going in my emergency car bag.

5. ewtoutdoors

ewtoutdoors BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Nice job.

6. Bitterfists

Bitterfists Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I thought you were going for an ornate "floral/vine" look. Success!! The whole project looks great. I like the brass piece, where did it gets it?

Flint_2016 likes this.
  7. AdirondackBadger

AdirondackBadger Scout

Blog Posts:
    Very nice

"Start Where You Are, Use What You Have, Do What You Can."

8. Flint_2016

Flint_2016 Guide

Blog Posts:
    The brass item is a stitcher which works like a pin vice holding different sized stitchers.I got it off ebay,made in China.Cost $7.95 for me.Here's one for $12.95 exactly like mine

New Leathercraft Sewing Kit Leather Canvas Tent Awl Hand Stitcher Taper Needle Tool

This 4 piece kit is for stitching all thicknesses of leather, canvas, denim, ect. The vise-ended haft handle makes it very convenient for you to change needles with a twist of the haft end and holds them securely. Haft handle fits snugly in your palm for use, much better than the bulky stitching awls I have used in the past. Easily make interlocking stitches with the fine or coarse needle. The hook needle is great for making interlocking stitches or feed sack type stitches that can be unraveled when needed.

Specifications:
    Taper-Shank Haft Size: (2 3/4 x 1 inch....6.8 x 2.5 cm)
    Needle Lengths: (2 3/4 inch and 3 1/8 inch....7 cm and 8 cm)
    Material: Brass Plated High-Carbon Steel Haft with Stainless Steel Needles

Package content:
    1 Taper-Shank Haft Handle
    1 Curved Needle (2 3/4 inch....for coarse 1 mm sewing thread)
    1 Straight Needle (2 3/4 inch....for coarse 1 mm sewing thread)
    1 Hook Needle (3 1/8 inch....for coarse 1 mm sewing thread)
    s-l500.jpg
    New Leathercraft Sewing Kit Leather Canvas Tent Awl Hand Stitcher Needle Tools | eBay