Sheep Hunters Anywhere?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Gathering' started by WoodGnome, Jul 10, 2018.

1. WoodGnome

WoodGnome Woodgnome Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I want to get more into sheep and chamoise hunting. I've been thinking about setting up a gun for this undertaking and have made up my mind about how that could work.

As I mostly hunt in woods and farmland the range I usually have to cover is not that big. That's why my main weapon is in 8x57 IS. However, to cover the distances needed in the mountains, I think I might have to go for a .308 or a 30-06. A .300 Win Mag would also be an option, but the additional weight of the longer barrel and ammo kind of worries me.

Now the 30-06 has more variations of ammo, which is kinda nice as I don't load myself. The .308 is a caliber, that I already have in a combined gun (large bullet, small bullet .308 and .222).

As for the gun itself I want to try a Russian precision manufacturer called Orsis. So the rifle would be an Orsis 140 with a plastic shaft in either .308 or 30-06 with a weaver base.

As scope I have in mind a DD-Optics 5-30 x 50 .

What do you guys think of this combination for mountain hunting? Which caliber do you prefer? One of the two or somtheing completely different?

Regards

2. Ahnkochee

Ahnkochee Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I like your choice based on sound reasoning. Here in Hawai'i we have two varieties of sheep, and goat. As you know these animals prefer open mountainous terrain where far shots are the norm. My rifle of choice for the past 35+ years has been a Winchester model 70 chambered in 30-06. My ammo of choice has been my own reloads using IMR4064 powder and 165 grain spitzer boattail bullets either Speer or Sierra. I believe the muzzle velocity is at around 2800 feet per second. I feel a shorter length action chambered in .308 Winchester would be equally as good in the same weight projectile. Where the 30-06 outshines the 308 in when you want to go the heavier bullets 180, 220, even 250 where the longer neck and larger powder capacity accommodates heavier projectiles better in my experience.
    The goats we have here especially those of better eating quality are usually young goats under 80 pounds so I have had success using my scoped (3 x 9 Russian Barska) Stainless steel H&R Handi Rifle chambered in .223 Remington using larger game bullets from 62 to 70 grains. I've reloaded 70 grain semi-spitzers (Sierra, and Barnes) which was worked great even on Axis Deer and wild boar.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  3. Hunt4lyf

Hunt4lyf Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I have zero experience with hunting the animals you are targeting BUT I've used a 308 for 25 years and have killed dozens of deer (120-300 pounds) and 10 elk (300- 550 pounds) with it. I feel confident with it out to 400 yards but prefer to keep my shots under 300 if possible and even closer than that if I can.

I've been on sheep and goat hunts here in Colorado, above timberline where the shots can be a long ways off and if it were me I'd go with the 30-06 or the 300 win mag, better bullet selection, more powder which equates to more energy at longer ranges, when you hit the animal you want it to go down and past 400 yds I think the 308 looses to much steam.

4. oldpinecricker

oldpinecricker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Norma and RWS have ammo available in 8x57 that is the equal of the 30-06. Don't sell the 8x57 short, it will do all the 308 and 30-06 can do.

If you really want to get into hunting you could get an simple Lee loading kit for the 308 or 8x57 for $35 US and then load any style bullet you desire.

I would seriously spend the $35 on a load kit and see what was possible with the 8x57.

One could hunt the world with either an 30-06 or 8x57 as one works as well as the other when loaded to similiar pressure.

5. longcruise

longcruise Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Probably not much used in your neck of the woods but in the US the .270 Winchester has an excellent reputation on big game and the ammo is not all that heavy. I gave my .270 to a family member and now feel at a loss over an upcoming elk hunt.

That rifle has killed 25 antelope, three elk and five deer with never an animal lost.