Shelter half

Discussion in 'Winter Camping' started by roesso, Jan 30, 2018.

1. roesso

roesso Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have a German shelter half. I would like to try out this winter .does anyone use them to camp in the winter. I have a 20 degree down bag and a to go system bivy . We have snow coming in next week would like to try it out

2. thereandbackagain

thereandbackagain Scout

Blog Posts:
    YOUTUBE SURVIVAL RUSSIA has episodes with Lars wearing one. there are several tutorials for folding them online.

central joe likes this.
  3. Greebe

Greebe Non ducor, duco.

Blog Posts:
    Hopefully you have two halves and not just the one. :D I used them in the Army, and never really cared for having all the critters in the tent with us. Remember the first time I used one in the south in basic training and waking up to a huge centipede crawling across my face. Then in the morning I woke up with a few more down under. :eek:

These were always used as two man tents as well so they were pretty cozy.

4. ReallyBigMonkey1

ReallyBigMonkey1 Scout

Blog Posts:
    If you use two halves over a bivy you should have no issues at all. With no floor I would put two pads in the bottom of the bivy for winter sleeping

central joe likes this.
  5. racetrack

racetrack Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    They dont shed snow at all. It just sticks there and weighs everything down. A poly tarp stretched over top will help this.

6. koreamarine

koreamarine Tracker

Blog Posts:
    If it is like a zeltbahn-- no clue. Never used one.
    If it is designed like the US version- you can do a lot.

A floor, made of a poncho liner sandwiched between two ponchos- it will fit in there perfectly.

Make a rain fly out of another GI poncho- tie off the hood- the grommets on the poncho fit exactly on the pole tips sticking out at either end of the tent. Stake out the corners of the fly with some old bootlaces or 550 cord, and the middle grommets on either side. This fly will allow the canvas tent to stay dry on the outside for the most part, which will cure the problem of condensation inside your shelter half tent.

If you only have one half of the shelter half you can do the same thing, you just will have a fly over half a tent.

It is heavier than modern tents but it will last a long long time with proper care.

central joe and camp casey like this.
  7. riverjoe

riverjoe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I really can see no possible reason to use a canvas tent unless it’s for longevity or possibly nostalgia .
    They hold dampness which is your greatest enemy IMHO . If you need ventilation then sew a vent into you silnylon . If your afraid of useing a stove inside your tent then bring a sylnylon about four times larger then your shelter half , chances are it will still be lighter and you can quadruple the distance of your stove from the sidewalls and roof . I have seen theee or four silnylon tents made to be heated with a stove and capable of hanging a hammock in . You can walk upright in them
    And easily ba ck pack them less the stove that is . Bringing a stove bring a toboggan
    . These tents were full of light and warm and with the hammocks easily capable of -10 f without the stove .

I spent quite a few nights in army canvas tents and they were always dark damp and stinky .

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018 at 1:28 AM
    central joe and camp casey like this.
  8. camp casey

camp casey Guide

Blog Posts:
    C0D67CE5-9AD8-41F4-B154-071D6F9FB743.jpeg
    The tent on the left is a hammock hot tent and weighs 6 pounds, it’s 8 by 10 and made from silnylon, the tent on the right is also a hot tent and is made from canvas, it weighs 26 pounds.
    There are advantages to both, but I like to lighten my load, good luck.

riverjoe and central joe like this.
  9. Moe M.

Moe M. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Everyone has an opinion, me included o_O, and IMHO winters are custom made for enjoying a nice hot cup of coffee or coco while sitting in a comfortable recliner reading a copy of Mors book on Northern Bush Craft or participating in the BCUSA forum, if one has a fire place or wood stove it's even better.
    Freezing one's ass off in a cold canvas tent or worse yet a half shelter tarp is not my idea of comfort or fun, challenging sure, but so is fighting the flu if you get my drift, as a life long hunter in the great north east I've spent many a long day in the cold of winter chasing deer, I enjoyed every bit of it, but I was sure a happy man when I got in sight of the camp with it's warming fire, gallon jug of the cocktail of the day, and the lies of my hunting buddies, it's just something you don't get when your mustache and nose hair are clogged with ice from your frozen breath.
    Sorry to be such a Debbie downer, but I'll remind that there are names for people who get pleasure from inflicting pain on themselves. :4: