Short person looking for a backpack

Discussion in 'Packs, Bags & Pouches' started by HannahT, Aug 8, 2018.

1. HannahT

HannahT Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'm 5'3", so a lot of stuff doesn't fit me. What I'm looking for is a pack that will work both for short trips and for longer ones, and hold all my hammocking gear if I take that along (I have a tarp and underquilt). I've been looking at the Maxpedition Falcon 2, but I'm concerned all the hammocking gear won't fit in it. Would the Falcon 3 or even the Gryfalcon be too bulky for me to carry? Does anybody know of other packs that would be better, that won't break the bank? I like plenty of pockets, by the way.

rsnurkle and M.Hatfield like this.
  2. M.Hatfield

M.Hatfield Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I suggest you measure your torso length (from base spine to shoulder) and see where you fall.

Most small sized backpacks fit are designed to fit as follows: https://www.osprey.com/us/en/fitting-learning/size-fit

That guide works well for packs made by almost all companies. Consider looking outside of Maxpedition for something with a more exact fit and better potential gear storage?

NattyBo and rsnurkle like this.
  3. LostViking

LostViking Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @HannahT,

I agree with @M.Hatfield,
    Osprey buils an extremely nice pack. With an even better warranty.

As does Gregory and Deuter. There are a few others but these spring to mind.
    The most important part is, all three build woman specific packs. In my mind that may be the way to go.

Another company that I can recommend is Granite Gear. They build some nice solid no frills packs. Also in lady specific models.

Perhaps get to a sport shop and get professionally fitted if you have access. At least the first time. Try them on if you can. What looks good on paper or the internet. May not necessarily be what works well on your back.

Good Luck, and Welcome!
    LV,

M.Hatfield likes this.
  4. cstrickland

cstrickland Scout

Blog Posts:
    When my son was Scouts , we bought him a gregory pack I believe it was. It had an adjustable home and worked perfect. I am at work now but I will get you a picture later for reference . He has moved on now as he got bigger but the pack has held up great

5. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    Some may depend on your bone/muscle structure.
    How things ride on your hips , and how tightly you are comfortable with it loaded .
    Unrelated but important is it's break away feature ,being able to get free can be an issue depending on the terrain .

6. marbleman

marbleman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    As everyone mentioned, good fit is the most important. I am a fan of Max Falcon II. The II is 23L while the III is 35L. I am 5'10", and the pack is too short for the belt to fit my waist, but at 5'2" it may be good.

There are straps on the bottom of the Falcon, that could be good for hammock gear/tarps/jacket, and preserve inside storage for other things.

Good luck, there are a lot of good packs mentioned so far.

7. M.Hatfield

M.Hatfield Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yep! A good backpack can be like a pair of shoes. You have to try them on and see how they fit your body type.

8. Terasec

Terasec Guide

Blog Posts:
    not sure what certain modern bags are called
    I would refer to such as "technical" bags
    bag I have high sierra karadon has so many adjustments sizing can fit most body types,
    adjustment is not just strap length but can adjust how/where straps attach to the pack
    I have the following high sierra karadon backpack
    http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Packs/Internal and External Framed Backpacks/High Sierra Karadon 65L Backpack/Test Report by Brian Hartman/

https://shop.highsierra.com/karadontechnology.html

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    M.Hatfield likes this.
  9. wrath0r

wrath0r Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Osprey's bags do tend to run small, but that's a good thing in your case. I'm 5'6" and my L.L. Bean Continental pack is perfect for me. Not sure how much that 3" matters.

M.Hatfield likes this.
  10. Medic17

Medic17 Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I do not know why people look at Maxpedition for day / quick overnight packs, they are really chuck bags.
    (Not carrying, just chuck it in the trunk of your car.) Heavy and not very comfortable.

Take a look into Arcteryx or Osprey.
    Awesome & light packs.

I have a Arcteryx RT25 that will do everything the Falcon II will do but at 1/2 the weight and 2x the comfort. You can find the similar on eBay for a decent price.

Panzer and M.Hatfield like this.
  11. NattyBo

NattyBo Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    M.Hatfield likes this.
  12. HannahT

HannahT Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks all - I'll definitely be looking into these backpacks you're recommending. I guess I need to find somewhere to try some of them on in person (I'm in central Kentucky).

wrath0r, marbleman and M.Hatfield like this.
  13. HannahT

HannahT Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Will all the packs mentioned take a lot of beating? I'll probably never be a Dave Canterbury style bushcrafter, but I want to be able to be hard on my gear. I'd like to be able to carry a hatchet. I've had a good look through the websites of Osprey, Gregory, Deuter, etc. and especially if I can find one of them on Amazon or ebay (I don't mind used gear, if it's still in good shape), I'd like to try one of them. The MOLLE was one thing that attracted me to Maxpedition, but it looks like with the other brands I can just carry all my stuff inside the pack and not have to attach it to the outside.

blind & lost likes this.
  14. marbleman

Blog Posts:
    Max is triple coated with polyurethane for weatherproofing, and a final layer of DuPont Teflon is applied to shed water, mud, and grease. 1000 Denier nylon, easy cleanup. You can drag it behind a vehicle, and it should be fine. Joking, but Max also has serious self-healing YKK zippers. One basic feature I like (not just Max) are packs that unzip all the way down, open like a clamshell. That keeps things from getting lost in the bottom. Maxpedition has load lifter straps, but I've never loaded them heavily enough to see that it made much difference.

I have an old Marbles Safety Axe (hatchet) that just barely fits in the MOLLE.

blind & lost likes this.
  15. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    Sharp tools need their own mask and should be handy not lost in a bag . IMO .

blind & lost likes this.
  16. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    A different way I choose to cary my hatchet.
    DSCN4626.JPG
    I almost forget it's there.
    It is also how I get girls to look at my "hatchet"

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018 at 5:08 PM
  17. marbleman

Blog Posts:
    Agreed. This is not mine, but it fits nicely on the outside of a bag, in MOLLE. The edge protector fits around the MOLLE nicely.
    0001998_vintage-marbles-2-safety-axe-1940s.jpeg

18. HannahT

HannahT Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Definitely. As soon as I upgrade from my Estwing hatchet to something like a Granfors Bruk (I've been drooling over the nice hatchets) I'm going to make a leather cover for it. I'd carry it on my hip, but being a gal, that's not a very comfortable way to carry it. I'd rather have it attached to the outside of my pack.

19. ra2bach

ra2bach Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Hannah, my experience is those types of packs are heavy and small capacity for the price. if I were you, I would look at REI Trail 40 pack for Women. right now you can get them in 2 colors on sale for $75.93 -- https://www.rei.com/product/880840/rei-co-op-trail-40-pack-womens

[​IMG]

these are an outstanding value at that price, they are very well built from good materials, comfortable, and with useful pockets and features. here's Ali, see what she says about hers -- https://herpackinglist.com/2015/07/rei-trail-40-backpack-review/

20. HannahT

HannahT Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'm going to try this one! Just ordered the brownish one. I like the pockets and all the outside straps and organizers. It's just cheap enough that I can get another pack later. My birthday's coming up in October and my dad will be getting a bushcrafting list from me! :18:

21. blind & lost

blind & lost Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
  22. ra2bach

ra2bach Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I hope you like it. my wife has the Trail 25 and she says it's very comfortable.

it has several external and internal pockets, top lash and bottom lash straps, unique hiking pole attachments, and comes with a rain cover. you can thread elastic or another type of cord through the daisy chain with a cord lock to make a web to carry your jacket or bulky items like a helmet or folding stool.

let me know what you think of it when you get it...

M.Hatfield likes this.
  23. HannahT

HannahT Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Will do!

24. CharClothed

CharClothed Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Where do you get it from?

25. CharClothed

CharClothed Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    As a young and not so knowledgeable person, I went to the local Moosejaw (a backpacking store) and they measured me and found a pack to my size. I have the newer version of that pack and love it. It's a Osprey. So if you have a actual backpacking store nearby, REI, Moosejaw, etc. They can help you in store and you can also try the packs out there.