Sierra Designs Mountain Guide question

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by Scotchmon, Jan 14, 2018 at 7:38 AM.

1. Scotchmon

Scotchmon Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I recently purchased the above tarp tent and was looking over the pitch instructions and it only mentions the 10 guy lines but makes no mention of the long piece of webbing attached to the shelter.
    Does anybody have experience with this shelter?
    BTW... I found a pretty good deal at Mountainsteals.com $248 . 33% off suggested retail....

central joe and Haggis like this.
  2. Haggis

Haggis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    image.jpeg I have one, for early spring and fall camping it's great. I think it's supposed to be a winter/snow tent, and the ground flaps are for turning out and burying under snow to keep out wind. I turn the flaps in and bury them under a groundcloth and gear,,,

It's a real moisture trap, so I prefer to use it more like a Whelen Lean-to,,,
    image.jpeg

I also like it for times when I'm just out for the day, but want a sun/rain shelter.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018 at 9:00 AM
  3. Scotchmon

Scotchmon Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I would imagine it could trap moisture being single walled and especially if using a propane heater. Ice shanties can get especially frosty from propane usage. With that being said, does yours have the 3/4” webbing strap? It also has a small male buckle end on it..
    Also, have you since replaced the pole?
    The shock corded pole looks rather wimpy....
    Edit: O.K , I found the female end and I’m assuming it has something to do with using the side port.... time to pitch it ...
    Edit : now that it is pitched it looks to me that it is used to stabilize the door opening when open, as it would run across the floor space from corner to corner....
    was planning on sleeping out tonight, but she has other plans for me. Oh well, there will be other nights..... gotta keep the peace....

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018 at 6:20 PM
    central joe, Winterhorse and Haggis like this.
  4. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Edit : "now that it is pitched it looks to me that it is used to stabilize the door opening when open, as it would run across the floor space from corner to corner...."
    Yep You got it
    Believe me when the wind is blowing 160 kph ventilation is the last thing on your mind and a stronger pole is needed for that possibility, a 32mm CF triple wrap pole in that case and plenty of rope