Sierra Designs Mountain Guide question

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by Scotchmon, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Scotchmon

Scotchmon Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I recently purchased the above tarp tent and was looking over the pitch instructions and it only mentions the 10 guy lines but makes no mention of the long piece of webbing attached to the shelter.
    Does anybody have experience with this shelter?
    BTW... I found a pretty good deal at Mountainsteals.com $248 . 33% off suggested retail....

Bobsdock, central joe and Haggis like this.
  2. Haggis

Haggis Guide

Blog Posts:
    image.jpeg I have one, for early spring and fall camping it's great. I think it's supposed to be a winter/snow tent, and the ground flaps are for turning out and burying under snow to keep out wind. I turn the flaps in and bury them under a groundcloth and gear,,,

It's a real moisture trap, so I prefer to use it more like a Whelen Lean-to,,,
    image.jpeg

I also like it for times when I'm just out for the day, but want a sun/rain shelter.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  3. Scotchmon

Scotchmon Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I would imagine it could trap moisture being single walled and especially if using a propane heater. Ice shanties can get especially frosty from propane usage. With that being said, does yours have the 3/4” webbing strap? It also has a small male buckle end on it..
    Also, have you since replaced the pole?
    The shock corded pole looks rather wimpy....
    Edit: O.K , I found the female end and I’m assuming it has something to do with using the side port.... time to pitch it ...
    Edit : now that it is pitched it looks to me that it is used to stabilize the door opening when open, as it would run across the floor space from corner to corner....
    was planning on sleeping out tonight, but she has other plans for me. Oh well, there will be other nights..... gotta keep the peace....

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  4. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Edit : "now that it is pitched it looks to me that it is used to stabilize the door opening when open, as it would run across the floor space from corner to corner...."
    Yep You got it
    Believe me when the wind is blowing 160 kph ventilation is the last thing on your mind and a stronger pole is needed for that possibility, a 32mm CF triple wrap pole in that case and plenty of rope

5. Foilist

Foilist Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have this shelter. If I'm thinking of the same webbing strap, it's for holding the door flaps open.

I was using mine in some heavy snow and very cold temps with a propane heater recently. Yeah, there was a lot of condensation, but it didn't bother me much since it's so spacious inside and easy to avoid touching the walls.

My pole snapped under the weight of the snow, so I made a splint with a stick and zipties. Sierra Designs quickly sent me a new pole for free when I emailed them.

I'm enjoying this shelter. I got mine for a super deal on campsaver.com - $150 bucks last October.

Scotchmon and Haggis like this.
  6. ANFwoodsman

ANFwoodsman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I just used mine this weekend. I swapped out the stock pole for a replacement tarp pole from REI. I had to add a cap to the REI pole since it comes with an aluminum spike to go through the tarp grommets.

I used a small piece of turned walnut dowel with a hole drilled to accept the spike and a pvc pipe cap on top. The pole is heavier, but bombproof compared to the one it comes with.

The tent did trap moisture.

0114181725a.jpg

After 2 nights in the teens and single digits the inside was covered in frost.

I plan to turn mine into a hot tent set up, but I'm experimenting with stove type and placement before I install the jack.

I had been using a small 4 season tent for cold winter camping. I'd say the smaller tent was warmer, but a pain to move around in and get dressed / undressed.

It was nice to be able to stand up or sit on my camp stool inside the tent to change, take off boots, etc.

I didn't end up using the webbing strap (despite high winds night 1) - mostly because I also didn't realize it's purpose until later. I didn't have an issue, but I can see it's utility.

Bobsdock, Scotchmon and Haggis like this.
  7. Elgin

Elgin Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    Scotchmon and Haggis like this.
  8. ggreaves

ggreaves Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I have one of these I've converted to a hot tent. It works well and burning wood it's not a condensation trap at all. It's well ventilated at the top. I think propane heaters cause lots of condensation in general so unless your tent is canvas, you might be having a problem with moisture buildup.

Here's a link to my setup....

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CnmrKPRy1GjX3I4i2

9. ANFwoodsman

ANFwoodsman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @ggreaves , nice set up. Which stove are you using? Kni-co?

Which panel did you put your stove jack in? Near the door, or oposite side?

10. ggreaves

ggreaves Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    It's in the far panel opposite the door. You'll also notice I changed the flimsy pole it ships with to a very sturdy painters telescopic pole. It works very well. I'm going to be experimenting with an external bipod pole system that will open up the interior greatly by not having the internal pole in the way. The stove is an older model (but essentially brand new) knico Alaskan. It's entirely too big for this shelter but it works well. A smaller stove would be lighter but the additional room inside it creates would be negligible. I think.

ANFwoodsman likes this.
  11. oldpinecricker

oldpinecricker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    These are really good shelters other than the "hello I'm here yellow color" and the cheap center pole.

12. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I can tell you have never tried to find your camp during a whiteout, most of my gear is stealth but not my snow gear, especially my tents. I do agree that the supplied pole appears to be not as strong as it needed to be.

13. Timex

Timex Scout

Blog Posts:
    Had mine out in about 40 mph wind and it held up fine. Used it on a car camp trip for a dressing room and gear storage.

Scotchmon likes this.
  14. oldpinecricker

Blog Posts:
    There's studies that have been done in Colorado and Canada and even at zoos that have determined that black bears in particular are attracted to bright colors, especially blue. Grizzlies as well it appears have some stimuli to color and tend to leave tents and object of earth tones and camo alone vs bright colored objects.

I would like to lower the curious factor of both scent and sight when I'm out there as the area I live in and the regions I frequent are home to both black and grizzly bears.

If I'm remotely aware that bad weather is moving in I'm not going looking for my shelter in an whiteout. Chances are I'll be comfortably in it.

And yes I got snowed in once in Montana in the summer in an Kifaru Super tarp.

hidden_lion likes this.
  15. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I was under the impression neither were out and about in winter in the cold and that was what I was thinking about, because really it is a winter shelter originally aimed at climbers and skiers I thought Not having such to deal with bears is one of the better aspects of walking in winter perhaps?

16. oldpinecricker

Blog Posts:
    Well it's sometimes suprising when they are out and about. But there's some places in my region I visit that you can get snow any month of the year. In particular the Beartooth Plateau can be such a place as can much of the Canadian Rockies not far from me.

I've used Kifaru tarps and tipis a good number of times on the Beartooth.

Currently I am running an Ti Goat 6.5 shelter Integral Design (RAB) tarps, and the excellent but discontinued Integral Design Sil Shelter w/bug net.

A good while ago I had an Sierra Design tarp and it worked well when I used an replacement Easton aluminum center pole.

hidden_lion likes this.