Simple Syrup

Discussion in 'Food' started by EternalLove, Apr 29, 2019.

1. EternalLove

EternalLove Guide

Blog Posts:
    I may post a picture later.

Simple syrup is simply 50/50 water and sugar. It's commonly used by bartenders. Simply heat up water in a pot on the stove (preferably filtered water or you could even use distilled if you wanted to) with sugar. Stir as it heats and the sugar will mix with the water
    It's not going be a heavy syrup if that is a concern of yours. Store in a bottle. A Nalgene bottle is perfect for this.

It's easy to use for coffee, iced teas, smoothies, and so on. You could bring this camping. It doesn't need refrigeration but I keep it in there anyway.

Simple smoothie: Fruit+ice+water+simple syrup+blend and enjoy.

Instead of using simple syrup, you can use fruit juice such as orange, apple, lemonade, cranberry, etc. What makes simple syrup better is that you may not want to use fruit juice with your smoothie as it tends to mess with the fruit flavor. The syrup is neutral and will blend with anything.

Enjoy.

2. Bonekrakker

Bonekrakker Not a chiropractor Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Anything at all. Like lime juice and tequila!

freebirdfb, KFF, MrFixIt and 2 others like this.
  3. EternalLove

EternalLove Guide

Blog Posts:
    It certainly mixes well with alchohol.

:dblthumb:

4. kronin323

kronin323 the barbarian Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yep, simple syrup is a standard bartending staple. It has the advantage of the sugar already being dissolved into a liquid without heating it up first, which could be an issue while mixing drinks.

I'm not really understanding the advantage of it over plain sugar while camping / backpacking, though; I can't think of a time in the field where pre-dissolved sugar would have been an advantage, yet its liquid state increases the equivalent weight. Am I missing something?

freebirdfb, KFF, wingnuts and 2 others like this.
  5. EternalLove

EternalLove Guide

Blog Posts:
    I believe that granulated sugar has a lot of air. By dissolving the sugar in water, you reduce that air. Simple syrup may be 50/50 but that does not necessarily mean that 8oz of simple syrup is the equivalent of 4oz of sugar. It's probably closer to 6oz of sugar by volume. Besides that, simple syrup dissolves easier in drinks and foods so you don't have sugar laying at the bottom of cup going to waste. So, it about balances out making in that 8oz of simple syrup will probably last about as long as 8oz of sugar if bringing this along on a camping trip or through hike. The sugar will still be lighter in weight.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    freebirdfb, kronin323 and Wasp like this.
  6. kronin323

Blog Posts:
    I think the confusing part about your statement is it's not clear when you mean ounce by volume or ounce by weight. Seems like you're saying that dissolved as simple syrup, you believe the sugar is more concentrated than in granular form. So by volume, you get more sugar in less volume. But in weight, you get less sugar in more weight, due to the added water content. That's what you mean? Is that speculation or are there hard numbers to back it up? I'm really asking, IDK myself.

Which is more important in packing your gear, volume or weight? Which is easier to manage, liquid or granules? I agree it dissolves more easily, but is undissolved sugar a problem that needs solving when camping?

Sorry, I'm not trying to be a d-hole here, I'm just trying to understand the real value-add in the field...

freebirdfb likes this.
  7. kronin323

Blog Posts:
    Also, if this is an improvement for camping / backpacking use, should we be applying the same methodology to salt, too?

freebirdfb likes this.
  8. haunted

haunted Guide

Blog Posts:
    mojitos.................................

freebirdfb likes this.
  9. Moondog55

Moondog55 Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Handy to have in the kitchen for drying of fruits, dip in syrup, drop in granulated sugar place on racks to air dry. Massive sugar hit plus a tiny bit of nutrients. Other than that I see basic and complex syrups as kitchen essentials. At the moment I only have cinnamon and lemon tho, Oh and sweet spiced chillie

freebirdfb likes this.
  10. Mikewood

Mikewood Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Don’t forget the brown sugar simple syrup for things like pancakes and old fashioned. Or just pack some molasses. Both packmore nutrition and flavor than white table sugar.

freebirdfb likes this.
  11. boomchakabowwow

boomchakabowwow Guide

Blog Posts:
    It’s a a simple way of sweetening cold things. Like ice tea, and yes bar drinks. That the only real advantage. It being already dissolved and it mixes easy with cold drinks. In most situations: like hot coffee - granulated sugar is easier. It doesn’t leave a sticky mess if you drop any. The syrup, yea. The squeeze bottle at the coffee shop is a mess. I would never take it camping.

freebirdfb likes this.
  12. EternalLove

EternalLove Guide

Blog Posts:
    I thought about mentioning brown sugar syrup. I use it for making Taiwan milk tea. If you make it with brown sugar, try some with milk and ice. I also prefer the brown sugar syrup with my coffee.

@kronin323 If I were doing an expedition where every gram counted, I would go with granulated sugar. Otherwise I bring a small bottle (8oz or even 4oz) of it for mixing into my drinks for convenience. On extended trips it seems to last as long as the equivalent amount of granulated sugar by volume, not by wieght. The weight penalty is small enough for me that the convenience is worth it.

Great for lemonade too.

13. PMSteve

PMSteve Old Timey Outdoorsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've used SS mixed with Maple flavoring for pancakes and waffles (making the SS a bit thicker with more sugar). Also using it (the thicker variety) blended with fresh fruit for another version of syrup for hotcakes.

Steve

freebirdfb and EternalLove like this.
  14. Ana24

Ana24 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    freebirdfb likes this.
  15. zelph

zelph Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Nice storage/dispenser container ;)

upload_2019-10-9_7-56-45.jpeg

16. KFF

KFF Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The only thing I need sugar for is tea and I use brown cubes for it. They travel real easy and dissolve just fine.

17. EternalLove

EternalLove Guide

Blog Posts:
    You need sugar for more then just tea. You need sugar for everything. Everything! Oatmeal? Sugar. Breakfast cereal? Sugar. Any sauce? Sugar. Bread? Sugar. Sugar? Sugar. Then add more sugar. Sugar on everything.

Sure, there may be some health consequences. Obesity, Diarrheabetes, Impotence, Sleep Fartnia. Minor inconveniences for enjoying the sweet nectar that is sugar.

KFF likes this.
  18. KFF

KFF Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @EternalLove nope, nope, nope aaaannndd nope.
    I did use it to make spruce needle syrup, but I think we never used that for anything. I wonder where it went.
    Oh and the kids make mean chocolate cake.

EternalLove likes this.