Sketchy Behavior

Discussion in 'General Bushcraft Discussion' started by pure_mahem, May 9, 2019.

1. pure_mahem

pure_mahem Guide

Blog Posts:
    Eastern Upstate NY / South Western Vermont
    Recently I've noticed individuals going through archived threads and posting a like. At first glance you think oh that's nice someone found one of your old posts useful and the knowledge is being shared.

Looking more closely at the bigger picture these individuals are putting a like on every post in the thread. Now granted an individual could like every post but that's kind of unlikely. I hope they are just going through and doing that to get their like count up to enter some giveaway or appear like they are an active member on the thread in order to deceive members.

I've pointed this out to the mods in the past when it's happened before. But it seems to keep happening with different user names.

Just wanted to make you all aware these going ons. I personally think its kind of sketchy. Please feel free to share if you've experienced this or your opinion.

The thread this time was from 2011 I've had in the past do this to threads from 2008 2009 and 2010

2. M.Hatfield

M.Hatfield Midnight Joker #42 Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I don't think liking contributions of years past is sketchy really. Seeing positive encouragement from others in the form of likes motivates many folks here to keep on participating in this community based on learning and sharing knowledge. :)

I also don't really view likes as some sort of popularity rating. Instead, I use them as a 'thank you for contributing to the forum' type of acknowledgement. :dblthumb:

No GAW's I have started or seen started ever hinge on 'liking' posts. :cool:

Bottom line, I am a bit confused...... why exactly do you think liking posts is sketchy? :confused:

3. Jim L.

Jim L. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm guilty of liking old threads that I was directed to in one form or another.

I've been "liking" in the form of recognition to the poster. It also helps with the "last read" feature.

Was I doing something wrong or untoward? I was not aware that a "like" to some one else's post affected one's personal stats.

Sorry if that's an error on my part.

4. Red Wing

Red Wing Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yeah a lot of the likes I get on older posts are from members I see active all over the forum

5. Enzo

Enzo Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    When you like a post, it doesn’t increase your like count. The like count is a measure of how many likes other people have given your posts. By liking someone else’s post, your like count does not increase.

I’m not sure what sort of ulterior motive someone could have for liking old posts.

6. Chris4x4Gill2

Chris4x4Gill2 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Usually, when new "members" with no or few posts start resurrecting dead threads its a spam bot.

7. M.Hatfield

Blog Posts:
    I am curious about this as well. :)

CosmicJoke, cek, Sosteve and 21 others like this.
  8. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Wait a minute here...
    Every post I've read in this thread so far, the person posting has more Likes than Messages/Posts... with the exception of one.
    And that's the person saying getting Likes is sketchy :33:

Coincidence? :18:

9. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I am not understanding the issue. If I ‘like’ a post, it means what I want it to mean. It means I like the post and/or that I have read the post. I tend to click the like button on a lot of posts so I know I have seen it. If it is an older post/thread, I tend to use it only for currently active members.
    Still not sure what the point of the OP is... :33:

Posting on an old thread that is of interest brings it to the attention of those who may not have seen it. That is good, IMO. I have learned a LOT from some old threads that someone brought to the top again.

Confused...

10. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I suspect that the OP needs something else to do other than study who ‘likes’ something. :14:

11. Jim L.

Blog Posts:
    I have "liked" every post in this thread so far. :4:

12. fishiker

fishiker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I "liked" your post but now I'm wondering if I should have...... am I simply being a pawn in a much larger game:6:

13. Jim L.

Blog Posts:
    Sorry, @pure_mahem , just a little ribbing on that last one. It's not a bad thing to keep eyes open these days.

Sosteve, Sawdustdave, A17 and 16 others like this.
  14. fishiker

fishiker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @Jim L. is right. It never hurts to be reminded of "what ifs"
    I believe this forum has a much higher than average ratio of good-guys to not-so-good when compared with the rest of the WWW:51:

15. LazyPK

LazyPK Guide

Blog Posts:
    I like most posts I read, even if I disagree with the content .Don't look for things to be upset about...

16. pure_mahem

pure_mahem Guide

Blog Posts:
    Hey I dont think its an issue that anyone likes a post or many posts. I do find it odd that a thread that hasnt seen the light of day in many years has every post in the thread liked. Do yall put a like on every single post you read or just put a like to the ones you thought presented you some useful knowledge or what not. No like this is my first day here ya know.

Sawdustdave, svh, A17 and 11 others like this.
  17. Outdoor Dauber

Outdoor Dauber Roughian #3 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Same here

CosmicJoke, Sosteve, A17 and 15 others like this.
  18. Pastor Chris

Pastor Chris Keeper of the T.Darrah Tenkara Pass-Around Supporter Hardwoodsman Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Before the software change over a few years ago, each member's little box would also record "likes given" and there were a few members who were obviously motivated to make that a high number for some reason. That is no longer. Not sure of the suspicion but who knows?

19. StinkBait

StinkBait Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I was liking old threads last night, very old threads from years ago popped up while I was researching Snow Peak kettle no.1 using the search bar. I went "Like" crazy from all the great info given on that pot in those old threads, I do this all the time. I don't care how old the thread is, I'll "like" multiple posts on those old threads too, good info deserves a like, hopefully those "likes" encourage the posters to keep posting informative and helpful posts as to me a Like equals a thank you or an agree on an opinion we may share.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  20. White Falcon

White Falcon Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm new and have gone back and looked at old posts that interest me. If I liked it I "like" it. Some like knives, I think I liked most knives. So I guess now I won't like any posts!! Some people like to bring sh*t up I guess. :) :) I think you can check on other sites about someone if they use the same screen name and aviator, LIKE ME! But that I guess would be tooooo much trouble.
    Sorry for the rant! "White Falcon"

21. Wasp

Wasp DOWN IN DIXIE Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I didn't know we have archived threads? And clicking 'like' only ups the persons comment you are liking, not your own.

I look up stuff all the time and if I see a bushcraftusa thread and go to it I may like a few posts, but for the same reason I like any other posts, because it's good info, I like the picture, or I agree with what they said.

I've also never seen a giveaway for how many likes someone else has. I have seen several where the person doing the GAW has reached a certain milestone of likes (arbitrary number determined by them) and done a GAW though. Most GAW threads require you to be a supporter and have a certain number of posts or have been here a while, or combination.

We have lots of members that are lurkers so random likes in old threads wouldn't surprise me.

22. pure_mahem

pure_mahem Guide

Blog Posts:
    I think thats what I was thinking Pastor Chris. Didnt notice user info changed again. Hey maybe it's nothing and like yall said. just thought it was odd. I've been here since 2008 and this is the first year this seems to keep happening so thought id point it out.

Sawdustdave, A17, Yohawk and 11 others like this.
  23. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    Some people do. There was a guy on another forum, "gatorbait", and he would like every post so he would know he already read it. Like a marker.

I don't understand how even if someone did it would benefit them?

Skotelawe, yooper71, Sosteve and 13 others like this.
  24. Jim L.

Blog Posts:
    Concern is noted and appreciated. With few exceptions that I won't go into, I do tend to "like" most posts that I read. More of an acknowledgment of another member's contribution and/or participation in the subject of the OP and subsequent discussion (sometimes the discussion strays from the OP).

CosmicJoke, Sosteve, A17 and 16 others like this.
  25. JosephDurham

JosephDurham Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    If I like the thread or post, I’ll like it. If I don’t, I won’t. Posted today, last week, last year, 5 years ago, what’s it matter? If I like it, I like it.

I just don’t understand the issue.

26. goon

goon Scout

Blog Posts:
    I’ve searched and found useful info many times here on old threads. I also resurrect them sometimes if there has been recent discussion on the topic. Other guys also seem to “like” most of the comments in their to threads to thank people for the insight.

A17, Outdoor Dauber, Yohawk and 16 others like this.
  27. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    Well STOP IT!o_O

And its "avatar" not "aviator" you bird brain. :)

Sosteve, A17, Yohawk and 13 others like this.
  28. MAD Punty

MAD Punty Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    As a veteran of forum warfare over many years, coming here and having people throw likes around like beads at Mardi Gras was and is strange to me. I'm still trying to remember to do it more, myself.

I think it is just a kind of courtesy folks around here show to one another. Nothing wrong with it, and it's pretty refreshing, actually.

I do try to make a point of doing it for anyone that posts in a thread I started.

If someone like me can be approaching 5K likes with just over 800 posts, that probably shows some sketchy judgement on behalf of the rest of the forum members, but other than that, no harm done, right?:57:

29. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    People start out with a few dozen likes here from their introduction thread. Usually its because someone new shared something about themselves and people are just saying interesting and nice to meet ya.

Sosteve, A17, Yohawk and 12 others like this.
  30. Holmesmade

Holmesmade Guide

Blog Posts:
    old threads lost their “like” count some time ago.
    If I wander into an old thread and like what I find there, I’ll click likes. Someone took time out of their day to pass along knowledge of some type. Who cares if it was 5 minutes, or, 5 years ago?
    Useful info is useful info and bringing old threads back to life can introduce beginners to something they may not learn, otherwise.
    It also provides the opportunity to tell someone you still appreciate the effort they expended in doing something badass.
    Trip reports, gear reviews, modifications, WIPs, random thoughts and ideas, shared with friends and complete strangers for the sake of sharing.

What’s not to “Like”?

Primordial, Sosteve, A17 and 19 others like this.
  31. Luchtaine

Luchtaine MOA #22 Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    There have been several threads and challenges geared around resurrecting old threads.

32. RickWA

RickWA Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I sometimes do a search for a subject and come up with old threads. Out of courtesy I throw them a 'like.' I haven't seen it too much around here, but in other forums reviving an old thread will get you comments about being a "necromancer". You know, raising the dead. :rolleyes:

33. White Falcon

White Falcon Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the correction Wasp!!:dblthumb:

Sosteve, A17, Yohawk and 12 others like this.
  34. M.Hatfield

Blog Posts:
    My judgement is perfectly sound, thank you very much! :p :D

I cannot speak for others though..... :54:

35. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead LB#42 Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I tend to like just about every post I read...but I’m weird like that.
    :)

36. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    Well you're new or I would have reported you for spelling errors. :22:

Sosteve, A17, Yohawk and 13 others like this.
  37. pure_mahem

pure_mahem Guide

Blog Posts:
    but you aren't going to resurrect a thread by liking every post in it. You resurrect it by posting a comment or bumping it. I mean if someone likes an old post I will usually go check it out to see what they were liking. It's usually been a while since I've seen it and I probably forgot whatever it was I said and I do find it interesting to look at what it is we were talking about back then and if there's anything new now that would be relevant to that topic but its still kind of weird.

So they resurrected it for me and other contributors but no one else.

to be kind of a bit more clear we aren't talking about liking one old post or a couple old post. We are talking about going to a Topic and liking every post in it. Some reasons why have been brought up that make sense. Such as a place marker for reading old posts. He maybe thats it. I just havent encountered that before. Seems odd to me it would happen a half dozen times by different users this year and not before.

Is what it is. Thanks for all the comments. Now i will go through and like all of your posts for contributing. Thank you!

Sosteve, bacpacjac, A17 and 13 others like this.
  38. bush-hunter

bush-hunter Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Alot of guys are about 4 to 1 average on likes OP is 3 to 100. If I read it I give a like if I don't like, I give it a like and acknowledge it was written.

CosmicJoke, Sosteve, A17 and 12 others like this.
  39. JeffG

JeffG Guide

Blog Posts:
    Having recently discovered Bushcraft, I read old posts to "catch up". There are a lot of very knowlegable people here, and lots of tidbits added to the OP get a like from me. This forum is largely devoid of trolls, as opposed to others I have visited, and the only positive bit I can add in most cases, is a like to approve of the positivity.

40. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    What concerns me is, there are occasionally people that post and you check their profile and its from 2012 and they have 6 posts. LOL
    I know not everyone is super big on commenting but I'm still trying to figure those people out.

AdamD1776, Sosteve, A17 and 19 others like this.
  41. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    Lots of older members lost their likes when the new system started. Thats my understanding at least.

Sosteve, A17, NevadaBlue and 14 others like this.
  42. Lazarusaurus

Lazarusaurus Idot Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I don't always notice dates when I like stuff. Never gave it all that much thought I guess.

43. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
    WOW! THE LIKE POLICE,

JeffG, CosmicJoke, Sosteve and 12 others like this.
  44. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead LB#42 Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Yes, they did. One reason I go back and like their posts. Not only for the shared knowledge but to at least let them know someone appreciates their sharing of said knowledge.

45. merlinfire

merlinfire Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    personally i sometimes do a search to find info in an old thread (the nature of this pursuit/hobby/whatever is that old advice from old threads is usually still valid) and i guess i'm just trained to hit the like button as a "thanks" or "you're right!" type thing

CosmicJoke, MrFixIt, Sosteve and 12 others like this.
  46. bush-hunter

bush-hunter Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The sketchy behavior I saw was a 15 post in 3yrs giveaway winner I have been watching but still yet to see another post.

MrFixIt, Sosteve, A17 and 9 others like this.
  47. woodsranger

woodsranger Solitude Seeker

Blog Posts:
    I "like" every response to threads I start as a courtesy, whether or not I actually like the post. And BELIEVE me, sometimes it's very hard to give a "like" to a post I hate! But as I said, I'm being polite and essentially just thanking the person for responding to my thread.

Of course, that has absolutely nothing at all to do with the OP's post about going through old threads and liking every post, so uh...never mind. o_O

GoodPhotos, MrFixIt, Sosteve and 16 others like this.
  48. lodge camper

lodge camper Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    this place should drop the like button,anyway, imo. it's turned into a like-fest to see who can collect the most. silly.

MrFixIt, Sosteve, A17 and 7 others like this.
  49. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
    When a server brings us a meal, I say "Thank you." I guess that's sketchy.

50. Wasp

Blog Posts:
    No!

merlinfire, MrFixIt, Sosteve and 14 others like this.