Skill Set

Discussion in 'Other Skills' started by Wendy Owens, May 25, 2019.

1. Wendy Owens

Wendy Owens Scout

Blog Posts:
    I sometimes take for granted and forget, that those "skills" I grew up learning from my parents, my Grandparents aren't just common knowledge to everyone.

I learned at a young age how to skin a Racoon, squirrel, deer and keep my knives, saws and axes sharp in the process.

Cleaning fish and how to dress a chicken for the dinner table.

Not everyone has smoked a pig or canned vegetables, fruits or even meats and put them on the shelves of Grandma's root cellar.

We plowed gardens in the spring, cut firewood in the fall and worked on our own equipment out of necessity and not just for fun.

I've helped dig wells as well as hand dug graves, cut timbers for buildings and white washed fences.

This thread has no real purpose....I just have a birthday coming up next month and i'm feeling my age and just waxing nostalgic.

The picture is my Dad and Uncle Ralph after a successful morning running the trot lines on Bull Shoals Lake. Yep, i'm from Ozark Co Mo

Hillbilly stock and proud of it.

1056928_613615292005856_1614332409_n.jpg

Dscythe, BBizy, x39 and 27 others like this.
  2. Jim L.

Jim L. Guide

Blog Posts:
    Why do we think "Hill Billy", "Redneck", "Country Boy" are derogatories?. I aspire to these. Does any one remember the "Gomer Pyle" episode where hecand Sgt. Carter gained weight during survival training?

Yeppers, we get to eat.

3. ozarkbushman

ozarkbushman Scout

Blog Posts:
    That is a great episode! I come from a long line of hillbillies as well.
    Hillbilly Pride!

4. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    That rednecky area between Baltimore and Philly.
    Didn't grow up hunting, but we did a little fishing. Mom had a garden and canned or froze almost everything she grew. We also grew and stored our own potatoes, carrots (in buckets of sand), cabbage (as saurkraut, with juniper berries we picked), and mom made jams/jellies out of every wild berry we picked (raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries, mostly... some strawberries from a pick-ur-own place.) Dad made his own wine (red and white). We raised and butchered chickens as well (dad kept rabbits as a kid).

So, not a hillbilly, but learned some things that are useful as I grew up.

5. Jim L.

Jim L. Guide

Blog Posts:
    Juniper in sauerkraut, @Seeker ? You have my attention.....

6. Teeps

Teeps Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I think along those lines with a lot of fire making. I have always known since I was a tiny lad that you use tinder for a flame and then thin kindling, then a bit thicker kindling, then fuel. It's just in my brain as much as the ABCs are.

I saw a lady at a campground last year trying to light a 4" diameter log with a bic lighter. My wife laughed but I didn't see it as funny. I thought, how could that be possible to not know? So wifey and I went over and taught her how to build a fire. She said "Thanks I can't believe I forgot the liquid boyscout."

You know how that old saying goes "If you build a man a fire he will be warm for a night, but if you set a man on fire, he will be warm for the rest of his life"

Or something like that :18::18:

bosque bob, x39, Mtnwoman and 7 others like this.
  7. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    That rednecky area between Baltimore and Philly.
    Never heard of it? My brother and I used to have to shred, salt, and berry (not 'bury'; that's kim-shee) it. Dad would set us up with a crock, a box of cabbages, the slicer/box/slider thingy, salt, and the berries. We'd take turns shredding/cutting it. Then you used a big mallet looking thing (log on a pole, really) to mash the cabbage. Add a bit of salt and maybe a half dozen juniper berries. Shred another cabbage, thump it with the log, another bit of salt and berries, and so on, till it was full. Dad had two plates made of wood, the diameter of the crock, less about 1/2", each made of 3 sections with about 1/8" of space between them. you put one plate down, then the other so the spaces were 90* off. On top of this went a large piece of granite rock. Over the next day or so, it pressed the kraut down, and juice came up over the boards, effectively sealing it. That went into the root celler for, iirc, about 6 weeks to ferment. Then he took off the rock, skimmed all the scum off the top, removed the boards, and mom canned the sauerkraut (and the berries!) It gave it a really nice taste.

8. Wendy Owens

Wendy Owens Scout

Blog Posts:
    @Teeps My dad had a rule that the kids in the family weren't allowed to go hunting alone until they could build a shelter and a One Match Fire. i was hunting squirrels in a 40 acre woodlot at the age of 7. @Jim L. I agree, the terms Hillbilly and Redneck to me aren't derogatory...they indicate that someone works hard with their hands and somehow eeks out a living. I'm proud of my families roots as we can trace our lineage to being of the first families to move into Southwest Missouri.

9. Ketchikan85

Ketchikan85 Tracker Banned

Blog Posts:
    Snapped this pic a few years ago. He was headed to town at 45 mph. God bless rednecks.

[​IMG]

10. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Pure awesomeness!

Jim L. likes this.
  11. Wendy Owens

Wendy Owens Scout

Blog Posts:
    @Ketchikan85. Wondering if that is licensed as a trailer or a motor vehicle or both?

Jim L. and Woodsman Wannabe like this.
  12. Mtnwoman

Mtnwoman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Wendy, hillbilly here too. We are the ones who will survive if things go bad because we know how to do the important things. We can grow our own food and put it up. I grow a garden every year, raise and butcher hogs, and chickens, hunt and fish. As for people trying to start a fire with a bic and a log I've heard thoses stories before. It's funny and sad. How have people gotten so far removed from what I consider basic knowledge. I grew up with wood heat tho, and that's all we heat with now so maybe I'm just being to judgemental.
    My husband grew up dirt poor, he learned to make do or do without. His red neck ingenuity is impressive. He can fix just about anything. So people can make fun of us bumkins all they want, we can sit back, smile and know what they're missing.

BBizy, Jim L. and Winterhorse like this.