Sleep System Layering

Discussion in 'Winter Camping' started by CharClothed, Oct 5, 2018.

1. CharClothed

CharClothed Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    So I know a lot of you guys do layering when setting something on the ground to sleep on. What is your ground pad layering system that goes below the sleeping bag? My sleeping pad causes me to fall off all the time so looking at alternatives.

Bobsdock, NevadaBlue, Haggis and 2 others like this.
  2. Walking Crow

Walking Crow Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Age has reduced my enthusiasm for winter camping, but before the slowdown my system had evolved to this:
    1. Grabber "Space Blanket" on the bottom, silver side up. This was as much for a waterproof layer and a bright surface to help me find things without always having to find my glasses first, as it was for its radiant heat reflective properties.
    2. Full length Ridge Rest (the thicker version) or a Z-rest closed cell pad
    3. 3/4 length Thermarest pad.

I'm mostly a side sleeper and I would usually "bottom out" the Thermarest at shoulder and hip, but it seemed to add some insulation overall. Before I got hooked on Wiggy's bags, I used an old Eddie Bauer Kara Korum down bag with this base. If it wasn't going to be terribly windy or snow, I often just slept without an additional shelter, adding a tarp to deal with wind and/or snow.

For sub zero trips, where packing space permitted, I took a 2nd closed cell pad instead of the Thermarest. I now have an insulated air mattress that I would substitute for the Thermarest or the 2nd closed cell foam, but I haven't ventured out, having had only one spell of sub zero temps in the last several years. Perhaps this winter will be different.

I did add a USGI Bivy a few times. Putting the pads inside seemed to keep things together, but it was crowded.

Hope this has helped you a bit in your planning.

Haggis, Beach Hiker and Unistat76 like this.
  3. RobbieinME

RobbieinME Scout

Blog Posts:
    Sportsmans/causulty blanket, USGI iso pad, EXPED 9 DLX, zero degree 40yr old sierra Designs down bag, with a USGI green patrol bag and USGI gortex bivy. Slept down to -10-20F.

4. trailhermit

trailhermit Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  5. trailhermit

Blog Posts:
    The thin light foam pad can go under whatever air pad you might normally use. I have used mine in a hammock and in a tent along with my klymet inflatable pad. I also carry the Thermarest Z seat which I use under my feat when sleeping.

6. PACoureurDuBois

PACoureurDuBois Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Outside:
    • Bivy bag.

Inside, from bottom to top:
    • Teton foam sleeping pad,
    • Harbor freight "wool" blanket folded in half and laid on.
    • Me, wrapped in woobie
    • 100% wool blanket wrapped around woobie and me.

7. trailhermit

Blog Posts:
    I may have to try that set up. I like the idea of the woobie protecting me from the HF "wool" blanket. It may even work in my hammock. (Disclaimer: I live in the south. It's not like the temps are going to drop much below freezing.)

8. Usingmyrights

Usingmyrights Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I got a Xterm as part of a camping lot and that thing will cook you. I've got into the 50s with nothing but a thin top blanket and the 20s with my sleeping bag without issue.

UAHiker and Haggis like this.
  9. SkipJunkie

SkipJunkie Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Grabber on the ground , reflective side up . Bivy bag with 3/4 blue pad , klymit Z and a -20 Down sleeping bag .

Haggis likes this.
  10. marbleman

marbleman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm not familiar with winter camping. When you guys sleep at sub-zero temps, are you sleeping comfortably, or is it "Woohoo, I didn't die!"

11. Haggis

Haggis Guide

Blog Posts:
    I’ve shivered all night in very real danger at -30 in a too light bag, and I’ve slept in absolute comfort at the same temps in a too warm bag. Overkill with bag and ground pad(s) is a good thing in chilly weather.

12. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Comfort naturally, anything else is just dumb, but I admit that I like my comfort and perform badly if I don't sleep well.
    Sleeping well and surviving must surely be totally different poker games?
    The sheer bulk and weight of a winter mattress system is a bit daunting though, mine is adding up to weigh as much or more than the down sleeping bag and synthetic overbag combined

NevadaBlue and Haggis like this.
  13. Berner9

Berner9 Adventure Often! Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Gossamer gear Polycro or tyvek then Gossamer gear 1/8 and large Thermarest Xtherm. 3/8th GG foam if really cold.

Haggis likes this.
  14. James Levite

James Levite Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I use a simple Closed cell foam pad as my base. It also serves as a seat. Insulated luxe inflatable mattress. I have several down quilts in different weights I can choose from depending on time and temps.

Haggis likes this.
  15. JC1

JC1 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm looking for a cot

NevadaBlue, Haggis and camp casey like this.
  16. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue Graybeard Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I got a cot.

Haggis likes this.
  17. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I sleep on a cot every night. :)

Haggis and NevadaBlue like this.
  18. Dave L.

Dave L. Scout

Blog Posts:
    Last weekend car camping we used: Puzzle foam (2/3" closed cell foam mat from Amazon Basics), a 4'x6' sheet of Reflectix, a Klymit Insulated Double V, and a 1.5" thick open cell egg crate foam Mat from Walmart.
    Overkill but the wife and I slept great.

If it was just me and I was using a pack and or sled, I would use my 24"x 6' roll of reflectix, Thermarest Z-Fold closed cell foam mat and Klymit Insulated Static V.

19. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I need a cot myself these days but I put the insulation under it; where it won't get compressed.
    Layering for insulation is one thing and that's easy as insulation and R-Values are cumulative, comfort I found much harder to achieve but luckily we live in an affluent society and even comfort is achievable given money.
    I've found insulation relatively cheap and comfort relatively expensive and the cheaper the insulation the more robust it is or seems to be.
    Cheap and tough, blue CCF and Ensolite [ Ensolite is much tougher but heavier and I don't have such a pad any more] less cheap and tough but still reliable the old Cascade Designs shaped pads such as the RidgeRest and Z-Lite, then comes the foam filled mats like the original ThermaRest etc.
    Old. stiff and cranky if I don't sleep well I use a Sea to Summit comfort plus these days and add CCF pads and or a RidgeRest to achieve the warmth and safety factor I perceive to need. For car camping I have splurged a bit and as a couple we now have S2S self inflating mats extra wide and extra deep that come the closest to a real mattress I have come across at such a low weight but in terms of reliability I still have a T'Rest CampRest Deluxe that is as good as ever but too heavy except when using the car to carry the gear.
    So for my planned Northern winter bucket list trip and temperatures that may get down to -55C [ worst case scenario] I am bringing the S2S Comfort+ mat for comfort and I will layer that with a RidgeRest Solar long/wide and a cheaper CCF pad at least 12mm thick and deal with the stiffness factor as and when it occurs, perhaps by using the Taco-Roll method of packing the mat and sleeping bag on top of the sleds as an integrated unit

xrayit likes this.
  20. PACoureurDuBois

PACoureurDuBois Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    This reminds me of that caveman movie The Croods. Everytime something bad happens they count each other and go, "Yay, still alive!!!"

21. mtwarden

mtwarden roaming the Big Sky Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I always use a Xtherm pad (5.7 r value)- I'm comfortable into the teens w/ just this pad; if I'm expecting lower temps I augment the inflatable with various ccf pads- thin (1/8") to thick (z-rest) depending on temps

lots of folks don't pay close enough attention to what's under them and complain about their sleeping bag/quilt not being warm enough

UAHiker and marbleman like this.
  22. UAHiker

UAHiker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    another xtherm fan. i'll put ground cloth down (polycro or similar), xtherm and that's it. i've taken it down to single digits if not 0 with just EE 10 degree and appropriate clothing and been nice and comfortable :)

mtwarden and wvtracker14 like this.