slingshot laws by state...

Discussion in 'Primitive Tools' started by leaf and lightning, Mar 22, 2011.

1. leaf and lightning

leaf and lightning Guide

Blog Posts:
  2. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh Dirt Merchant Bushclass I Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    In Ohio, you may own them (not in Columbus though) but it is 100% illegal to hunt any species of game with them.

3. leaf and lightning

leaf and lightning Guide

Blog Posts:
    every official I have asked about hunting with them in NY has looked at me like I was nuts for asking... as near as I can tell the official stance by DEC is that they are toys, not hunting impliments, so no regs(clarification:that I have found as of yet)...

4. saxon

saxon Guide

Blog Posts:
    Mass, New Jersey and Rhode Island are the only states to outlaw completely. I find it hard to imagine the logic behind that but at least its only three states.

It is illegal to hunt with a sling shot in PA.

5. HiWayMan

HiWayMan Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Are you sure that they are outlawing "slingshots" and not "slungshots"? Slungshots are completely different. A slungshot is weight attached to a cord used to knock someone out.

6. longrifle54

longrifle54 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Seans fortified compound via carrier pigeon
    This is interesting!! I would have never even fathomed that we would need laws to regulate slingshots, and the use of them!! What has the world become. Seems we would/should have more to worry about.

plinsc likes this.
  7. Falstaff

Falstaff Scout

Blog Posts:
    In AZ you can hunt most small game with a slingshot, airgun, blowgun, bow and arrow, rimfire or shotgun.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  8. solocanoe

solocanoe Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    wow.... the things there are laws about....

and to think we pay these people to sit around and come up with this stuff!

anywho...thanks for posting this, L+L - can't say I liked reading it...but I sure learned something!

9. econnofoot

econnofoot Guest

Blog Posts:
    I know in some foreign countries they don't alloy braces and stuff, wasn't aware of any state laws here. Good heads up.

10. Ahnkochee

Ahnkochee Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    How do they straighten teeth? :4:

11. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    and yet, this summer, i couldn't find one in a local walmart (East Syracuse)... but they did sell BB guns at said walmart... curious.

i am SO glad i live in LA.

12. HoosierArcher

HoosierArcher Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    I can't access the link, I get an error message saying I'm not allowed to view the topic. I am even a member of the website.

SoreFeet likes this.
  13. BigBepf

BigBepf Tracker

Blog Posts:
    St. Louis, Missouri - United States of America
    yeah can't see it. What does it say about Missouri?

14. wbfos

wbfos Scout

Blog Posts:
    Ok in NY if you have a slingshot with a wrist brace (Wrist Rocket style) they are a "Dangerous and Prohibited Weapon" under SECTION 265.01 for this reason many Wal-Marts wont carry sling shots. I have "Barked" a few tree rats with them and a few bunnies also the Game Warden that saw me said as far as he knew the law was "unclear" about hunting with them and I would be better off with a .22 (or starting this year we can hunt with a air rifle .177 cal or larger 600fps or greater for small game)

15. Two Bears

Two Bears Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    I found some completely wrong info for my state and my city.

16. Maple_City_Woodsman

Maple_City_Woodsman Tracker

Blog Posts:
    NO JOKE!

For the love of all things sacred, what are these people smoking? Illegal to own a slingshot for goodness sakes?

Andy LeVangie likes this.
  17. Capt. Jeff

Capt. Jeff Guest

Blog Posts:
    i had the same problem. i joined the site, and still didnt work. not sure whats going on there. good site though!

18. Galthoas

Galthoas Tracker

Blog Posts:
    They have changed the site around recently and it messed up the link it looks like. There really is not much information on the sight other then the states already listed above so I think it is one where it is up to the person to find it for themselves.

19. Outsoul

Outsoul Scout

Blog Posts:
    Finding logic in most of Massachusetts laws is pretty hard. I own three slingshots. I find it kinda funny how I bought two of them in state!

Andy LeVangie likes this.
  20. bearhunter2

bearhunter2 Guest

Blog Posts:
    their are/needs to be laws for a slingshot? :confused:
    sorry, i just wouldnt worry about them!

21. joboo

joboo Scout

Blog Posts:
    They just have um bite down on a running chain saw, straightens um right out!!

I am a big fan of sling shots and also a property owner in Nj. It is really a shame that I can not go out and shoot a simple sling shot in the woods. I under stand if some one is causing damage but that is the crime, not shooting some tin cans! Nj. is one of the worst states in the U.S. .
    When I leave down there I say to my neighbors, both from Pa. , last one out bring the American flag :42: !!!

22. swamprat

swamprat Guide

Blog Posts:
    Neither could I.

23. rdec

rdec Guide

Blog Posts:
    Slingshot laws are the type of thing that slips in without anyone noticing. (Knife laws ditto.) Some nitwit legislator has his window taken out by a kid and declares "There outa' be a law". With no slingshot lobby this passes without discussion. The irony is that I am licensed to carry a concealed sidearm but could find myself with a felony arrest if I am in possession of a wrist-lock slingshot.

Some also come into being because the legislature writes a vague law to be interpreted by some equally moronic bureaucrat who is allowed to write a regulation with the force of law. You also have the notion of "constructive possession" conjured up by busybody judges. A "slungshot" is also banned in NY - this is essentially a rock in a sock so anyone with a rock and a sock can be held to be in constructive possession of a slungshot.

Who is responsible for all this nonsense? You are. By allowing the legislature and the bureaucrats and the judges to continue this crap. The problem is that our freedoms are eroded a little at a time by the "boiled frog" or "slice of salami" approach. (Someone takes a thin slice of your salami and that isn't worth fighting about. He takes another, then another. Eventually all you have left is a thin slice and that isn't worth fighting about either.)

24. bearhunter2

bearhunter2 Guest

Blog Posts:
    i absolutly agree...
    political discussion is frowned upon here so i'll refrain from further comment, except to say that i simply ignore crap like 'slingshot' laws, etc...
    i highly doubt that the 'slingshot police' are out in force in any state...

but, you are right :(

25. NorCalHermit

NorCalHermit Scout

Blog Posts:
    Nope! Its SLINGSHOTS! People have been arrested for felony possession.

26. Redwolf

Redwolf Guide

Blog Posts:

Well said, it's like NYC and their numerous pocket knife arrests for any type of pocket knife.

27. rdec

rdec Guide

Blog Posts:
    In NY state both slungshots AND wristlock slingshots are on the outlaw list. Knife laws are also abundant and are of particular interest here. Knives do not appear in the NY list except for mention of "dagger or dirk" with neither being defined - presumably double edged with a point. I live in a small rural village in a small rural county in upstate NY, just south of the Adirondack border. Up here knives are commonly carried and used without issue (and I doubt anyone is going to bother with slingshots, either).

With knives, if you are traveling out of your local area it is advisable to get familiar with the local laws (or superstition, if you prefer) in areas you will be going to - or passing through. It is also a good idea to avoid display.

I mention "superstition" because I think that is what it is. Some areas find a knife scary but no area has any restriction on flashlights. I have seen a 6-D-cell Maglight pound a 2x4 to splinters and know some guys who carry these large flashlights in areas where defensive weapons are forbidden.

(I lived in VT for several years. The local game warden was a friend and all-round good guy who was also the only game warden killed in the line of duty in the history of VT. Arnold was killed by being hit on the head with a 6-cell Magllght.)

28. mike ware

mike ware Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    sling shot hunting

The ammo you get for the sling shot is caliber rated, I would think since most game is hunted with a caliber and not speed,it would be legal unless otherwise specifically stated.

29. Zig

Zig Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have to disagree on this point. The legislature is only accountable to the people in open election. The general public is completely impotent to create or change laws without a referendum. And that can only be issued by the legislature.

In my mind, the slingshot issue is just silly. To quote Robert A. Heinlein:

I'm not supporting breaking the law or anything. I don't own a wrist rocket, nor am I suggesting that any NYers go out and get one to spite the state government. I'm just saying that you can do what you want as long as you are willing to accept the consequences of your actions.

This is just one more reason I can't wait to move to TN. Every state has silly laws. I'm sick of dealing with NYs. Time to try dealing with the silly laws in another state! I have a feeling it'll be easier in TN. :D

30. captainamer

captainamer Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the heads up!
    I need to check on missouri and kansas, just to make sure.
    I carry one with me Alot when im out walking.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

31. captainamer

captainamer Scout

Blog Posts:
  32. bearhunter2

bearhunter2 Guest

Blog Posts:
    i really enjoy that quote... i live free!

33. Sambo

Sambo Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Well here in Spain is out of the question considering having one , not longer on sale and outlaw any kind of throwing device, atlatl, spear, etc etc .....you can still hold on to a Village People record collection in public and get away with it am I lucky o what

34. piney

piney Bushwhacker

Blog Posts:
    Crazy, but true.

35. Andy LeVangie

Andy LeVangie Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Yeah. Massachusetts has some crazy laws for just about everything. At least they are written in a way it is easy to interpret them...NOT.

36. darodalaf

darodalaf Guide

Blog Posts:
    Often these stupid laws are made in reaction to some sort of crime.

When I was a kid I and my friends used to run around with wrist rockets, no problem.

Then some kid, whom I did not know, started shooting multiple strangers in the head. When one old woman had to go to the hospital after being shot while getting into her car at the supermarket, and ended up blind, boom, no more slingshots in my town by city law.

Oh, well, we all got into CO2 guns at that point.

37. PERRO

PERRO Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Just sharing info for Calif.

Slingshot Hunting

Posted on February 2, 2012 by CDFW

Question: I have been searching for any regulations specifically regarding slingshots but have found no clear reference to them within the Department of Fish and Game (DFG) hunting regulations................."

Answer: Slingshots may only be used to take nongame birds and mammals (California Code of Regulations Title 14, section 475). However, the only nongame birds that may be taken by any method are English house sparrows and starlings (FGC, sections 3800(a) and 3801).

There is also a crow hunting season, but crows may only be taken by shotgun, falconry or archery (CCR Title 14, section 485).

Common nongame mammals (“varmint” is not a term used in Fish and Game law) that may be taken include coyotes, bobcats, opossums, ground squirrels and orange-belly marmots. Take of bobcat requires possession of a bobcat tag (CCR Title 14, section 478.1).

Rabbits and tree squirrels are game mammals, and their take with a slingshot is illegal. Nongame mammals are those species not otherwise categorized in the law as resident small game (CCR Title 14, section 257), big game (CCR Title 14, section 350) or fur-bearing mammals (FGC, section 4000). The complete Fish and Game Code is available online at: http://dfg.ca.gov/enforcement/.

https://californiaoutdoors.wordpress.com/2012/02/02/slingshot-hunting/

38. Kenneth

Kenneth Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  39. x39

x39 Hyperborean Supporter

Blog Posts:
    A year or two ago here in Maine there was a bill before the legislature that would have legalized the use of slingshots for hunting. For some unfathomable reason (beyond the ignorance of the lawmakers) it didn't pass.

40. wingnuts

wingnuts Hunter/Gatherer Provider/Protector Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Nope it’s sling shots! Friggin idiots, classified as AOW! Pretty much everything in Jersey is illegal!

x39 likes this.
  41. x39

x39 Hyperborean Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Which is why I will travel well out of my way to avoid the state.

plinsc likes this.
  42. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    plinsc and x39 like this.
  43. Terasec

Terasec Guide

Blog Posts:
  44. plinsc

plinsc Tracker

Blog Posts:
    That would be great to have while deer hunting and the local squirrel convention sets up over you.