Slow to change

Discussion in 'BUSHCRAFT CODGERS' started by saxonaxe, Oct 12, 2019 at 10:35 AM.

1. saxonaxe

saxonaxe Scout

Blog Posts:
    County of Pembrokeshire, South West Wales.
    There is an old expression in this land, " The King's Highway" although now of course it is the " Queen's Highway." Down through the Centuries it has been an offence under the law (and still is) to obstruct The Highway, the law was made to prevent land owners or anyone else for that matter, stopping ordinary people from being able to freely travel the land.
    Even today if a road has to be closed for any reason, permission has to be obtained from the local County Council to temporarily close the road , and notices, under the law, must be posted prior to the date of closure.

I mention this because such an event is taking place in the small town a few miles from where I live. From pre Medieval times the ruling Monarch would issue " Charters" to Towns and Villages which permitted them to close the Highway for Markets, Festivals, processions etc:

The local charter is for Michaelmas Day, the Christian celebration of St Micheal's Day which actually falls at the end of September but is celebrated here in early October.
    At various times during three days and evenings the Highway or in this case the High Street, closes under the Charter granted by a Tudor King 700 years ago.
    Originally the Charter was for a market, religious processions and entertainment.

[​IMG]

The yellow warning notices in English and the Welsh language have been displayed for a few days and in the afternoons and evenings the High Street is full of music, bright lights and loads of youngsters having fun on the machines set up by a Travelling Fair.

When the road closes the daytime red safety barriers are removed and only pedestrians are allowed in the High Street.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I couldn't resist taking this photograph, a 300+ year old Church looking down on Neon lit Clowns..:D
    [​IMG]

The travelling fair folk will work through the night, and by tomorrow morning will be on their way to the next village or town, perhaps somewhere else with a Royal Charter.

2. Hoof

Hoof Former Genius

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the post, interesting.

Quinlan, TX-1948 and central joe like this.
  3. Quinlan

Quinlan Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Greetings,

Thank you for sharing this @saxonaxe!

Regards,

Christos

Hoof likes this.
  4. heldfast

heldfast Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Interesting! They shut down our Main Street today here in one of the oldest colonial towns. No mention of Michaelmas but I wonder if it’s an inherited tradition, since they set up a street fair ... no overt clowns, although some impromptu clowns were in attendance.

5. saxonaxe

saxonaxe Scout

Blog Posts:
    County of Pembrokeshire, South West Wales.
    That's always a possibility, heldfast, although the original reason for your local fair may be lost in time, the date itself may now be a traditional event.

Over here in the rural farming areas it's surprising how the old festivals and Saint's days are still used by the country folk to mark the passing of the year.

My mate who is a Game Keeper always settles up his accounts with the landowner at Lammas. That's August 1st. Lammas comes from the old Anglo Saxon words meaning 'Loaf Mass' because the Corn harvest would be starting by that date and they knew they would have bread to eat through the coming Winter.

I'm sure some of old festival dates must have crossed the ocean, although some of them have been turned into commercial money making exercises, such as All Hallows Eve, now Halloween.
    :D

Bridgetdaddy, heldfast and KFF like this.
  6. backlasher

backlasher Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Very interesting. Thanks.