Small Camper

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by Riverpirate, Sep 11, 2018.

1. RickS

RickS Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thanks very much!

Guttersnipe likes this.
  2. hidden_lion

hidden_lion Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    so cool...Now, thanks to you i am caught up in the urge to make one. They are amazing, and may convince my wife to come camping with me

Guttersnipe and Seacapt. like this.
  3. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Good in the back yard for visitor overflow and you notice there's sleeping space under the bed for another adult or 2 small children.

Guttersnipe and hidden_lion like this.
  4. 1773

1773 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have camped out of a pickup, a pop up and a tow behind trailer, I have no experience with the teardrops but they seem nice. I came to add I would avoid the pop-up campers, they seem like a good idea but have all the negatives of a tow behind regular camper but none of the real advantages, they have all the disadvantages of a tent but none of the advantages. The only positive they have over a tent is that they have more room and a little faster set up as the kitchen area is built in. If I was looking for a small camper I would get one of the small rigid side campers they are only slightly more expensive than a pop up and only slightly heavier but have a lot of advantages, easier to heat/cool, easier to pack and easier to access gear stored in them while on the road or at home.

5. RickS

RickS Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    @1773 I have been looking at pop ups, so it's good to hear your take on them. I have a 1994 Toyota with a 22re, so have been looking at light, small trailers.

Lichen and Guttersnipe like this.
  6. 1773

1773 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have the 95 version of the Toyota, I haven't pulled a camper with it but have pulled a 15' jon boat and an ATV with it and I wouldn't want to pull anything heavier if you had much of a climb or a decent, those are less than 1000 pounds including the trailer and you can definitely tell they are back there. Of course when I am pulling them I also usually have assorted other gear in the bed of the truck which also adds weight. I'll trade the pulling capacity though for the woods performance of that little truck.

Guttersnipe and RickS like this.
  7. Morrow7x

Morrow7x Scout

Blog Posts:
    Another season of small trailer camping has come to an end, unless I can maybe get to Utah in the next couple weeks...

Attached Files:

Guttersnipe and mjh like this.
  8. Thorbyfour

Thorbyfour Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    A9B87C04-6072-4E6F-AD21-69D7F5DFF15C.jpeg I built this one from a 5x8 cargo trailer. Sleeps 2 on bunks. Has 160 watts of solar, 200 amp hours of gel
    Battery, 1000 watt inverter, 55 watt ac to dc converter, stereo system, Max Air 10 speed reversible ceiling fan, recessed led lighting, fold away table, self contained toilet, custom built axle to give extra ground clearance and to match my Jeep lug pattern so I could run Rubicon wheels and tires. I am in the process of making small changes to it(every time I go out I adjust to make it better). Just got home from a 10 hour round trip 2 night run. Worked great. I have propane and electric heat. I prefer the electric. I have a 2200 watt quiet generator to power when not able to connect to shore power.

Built most of it over last winter. Can be done pretty cheaply if you are patient and plan ahead for what you want it to be.

1A67942A-30EB-497B-A1B6-03C4BD7321F8.jpeg

63C06694-5F93-4003-AA54-9D1771818B60.jpeg

☝️This is during the recent remodel converting the pull out goucho bed into bunks. The goucho ate up too much floor space.

I had stripped the interior down to metal and completely insulated and rewired before installing the interior.

Not saying this is what you want or want to do but it’s an option when you want to go small. I needed small and light weight but comfortable for my wife. I can pretty much take this anywhere off-road and my wife is very happy with the creature comforts. I could not afford the commercial built units that met this requirement.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    kelpie13, J. Pierce, Seacapt. and 4 others like this.
  9. LongChinJon

LongChinJon Guide

Blog Posts:
    Guttersnipe likes this.
  10. PERRO

PERRO Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  11. Phisikos

Phisikos Scout

Blog Posts:
    Hey just something to theow into this conversation... I am an auto appraiser for insurance and happen to be one of the handful of guys in my area to be trained on writing damage to RVs...

Some day the wife and I want to travel the country in one, but now that I've seen how they are made I absolutely will not do that- I'd much sooner get a work van or box truck and just build my new home inside it. The way even a million dollar class A is constructed is astonishing... They are all garbage!

Particularly if all you want is a teardrop, I'd recommend starting with a nice trailer of your size of choice and just build it yourself. When the time comes for us, I'll be building my own and it will be better!

12. Phisikos

Phisikos Scout

Blog Posts:
    Just to add to that last post:. Recently wrote an estimate that totalled out an RV... Materials cost (bear in mind they make money on parts so this is inflated was maybe $6500... Labor came out to around $46,000. That was to replace both walls and floor....

Made of garbage!

13. Rarrapuda

Rarrapuda Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    ohhhhh, how much?! lol

Guttersnipe likes this.
  14. 95bv5

95bv5 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Very Upstate NY (any further North and I would be
    I am in love with this camper. That you for sharing.

Guttersnipe likes this.
  15. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Gonna be a whole lot less sophisticated, and definitely not as pretty as some of what y'all got, but I just brought home the 2nd half of my camper project for next year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A Free slide in pickup camper!
    A little research, looks like it's a 8.5' 1966 Eldorado Mohawk Chieftain.

Some friends cleaning up the property in anticipation of selling the house, wanted it gone. All I had to do was con a friend into helping me load it up(someone took the jacks off of it, no way to load in a truck, so it was a goat roping to get it jacked/winched into a utility trailer), and haul it away.

It's been sitting about 30 years. It's a bit rough, will need re-sheeted on the outside, but it's pretty clean inside, still a water tight roof and 99% structurally sound.

The first half of the project is a 2wd '74 Chevy pickup a buddy gave me a couple years ago, that I'm cutting into a pickup bed trailer.

Will permanently mount the camper in the trailer next summer. :)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018 at 1:42 AM
    Guttersnipe, J. Pierce and Seacapt. like this.
  16. Foulwind

Foulwind Guide

Blog Posts:
    In the Redwoods, Santa Cruz Mountains, CA.
    Fond memories of dads cab-over he had. Late 70's early 80's, don't remember the brand now. I do remember having to run between the corner jacks, and give each one a few pumps to raise it up so dad could back the 72' dodge under it. The camper was a little large for the dodge 1500's stock rear so he changed the springs, and put a little larger tire size on the truck to handle the camper. Camper had a "Forced air" furnace that really heated the interior up! It was my job to fill its water tank. the sink initially had a pump faucet, then dad got fancy one weekend and Poof it was electric! Simply open the valve and water came out like in the house! No more pumping the little handle! I remember riding the camper, in the cab-over while heading to what ever event we were gong to. Running back and forth between the jacks to lower it back down once at camp after dad pulls truck out from under it, I got real good at opening and closing the jack valves so the thing would settle slowly.
    My camper shell is my camp home.

Guttersnipe likes this.