Smokey tea!

Discussion in 'Food' started by crewhead05, Dec 13, 2018.

1. crewhead05

crewhead05 caffeine, nicotine, knives and nature. Lifetime Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I was introduced to this by a buddy of mine. I have never liked tea all that much but this stuff is amazing. The leaves smell like a campfire. The taste has a true smokey flavor. Its fantastic.

I know its blasphemy but i paired it with a steak and smoked sausage tonight. Cant recommend it enough!

479DE37B-FCDE-4061-B62A-A1A31D9FF480.jpeg 933CDFAC-D258-416D-9EE9-08507B63772E.jpeg 05EB2920-0962-43E7-8BD7-412632F5AB0D.jpeg

2. Pastor Chris

Pastor Chris Keeper of the T.Darrah Tenkara Pass-Around Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend Hardwoodsman Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I see no blasphemy, only good taste and a nice meal!

3. BradGad

BradGad Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    1) There’s a group, a subforum, for you here now that you are here, as a tea guy (I think).

2) If you haven’t already read it, you should read James Michener’s *Centennial*... a great read even if you aren’t a bushcrafter, and esp so if you are. Lapsang souchong gets good coverage there. It was my entré into the world of tea.

3) Be aware there are two varieties of Lapsang... Chinese and Russian. Most of what we get here is Russian (i.e., made for Russians back in the olden days). Looks like you might have stumbled onto the good stuff... the Chinese.

4. Huey

Huey The Lurker Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Going to look for that, thanks.

Also KFC (Kentucky Fired Cured) cigars are just like a campfire. They are AMAZING!

5. crewhead05

Blog Posts:
    Thank you. Ill check that book out

Ive aways been intrigued by those cigars. May have to give them a shot now

rsnurkle, Huey, MrFixIt and 5 others like this.
  6. Haggis

Haggis Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    THE favorite of all my favorite teas for more than 40 years...

7. crewhead05

Blog Posts:
    I guess i stumbled on to a good one!

GreySwampFox, Huey, MrFixIt and 3 others like this.
  8. Mr. Tettnanger

Mr. Tettnanger Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I need to try some of this! Thanks for the reminder!

9. BradGad

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, there is a group.

Tea-aholics United. A bunch of tossers but their heart is in the right place.

10. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Thanks... you enablers... :4:

11. crewhead05

Blog Posts:
  12. NevadaBlue

NevadaBlue —- Roughian #7 -— --- Graybeard -— Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Yep, 2 of them, and an Earl Gray and some tea eggs. Sigh... :)

13. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks, I'll have to try this one!

One of my all time favorites was a loose leaf smokey rich Kenyan Oolong that I got from Stash. Long since discontinued I'm afraid.

14. Beach Hiker

Beach Hiker LB #42 Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I will add this to my "must try" list.

15. tomcfitz

tomcfitz Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I LOVE Lapsang Souchong tea. Its freaking fantastic. I've got a mug of the stuff on my desk right now! My coworkers hate it, but I don't care.

If you like it, try a "Bohea" tea, which is an old, old recipe including Lapsang Souchong. Its the kind of tea thrown into the Boston Harbor during that famous tea party!

16. Beach Hiker

Blog Posts:
    Now that there is just a truly bizarre bit of knowledge!

BradGad, GreySwampFox, Huey and 8 others like this.
  17. Guillaume Longval

Guillaume Longval Friction Fire Addict

Blog Posts:
    my favorite too...except in the bush. i had a few experiences next to a camp fire where it tasted like, well, normal black tea. cause the smell of the fire negated the smell of the tea. :(

:)its perfect for the bush blues if you cant get out though!

(and i tasted very good and very bad russian. same for lapsang.)

18. tomcfitz

Blog Posts:
    Hah! Not as bizarre as you might think: Bohea was by far the most common tea during the 18th century across Europe and the Americas. Also known as "Wuyi" Tea.

Basically, the first two major "Black" teas are from the same area, the Wuyi mountains. Also where Oolong Tea is from (they're the same plant just a different process). Bohea is a different name for the same area of China.

Pekoe and Souchong were two different "grades" (leaves from different parts of the tea plant and of different ages), with Souchong being a coarser leaf, and therefore "lower grade." (You may recognize "pekoe" as the basis for "English Breakfast Tea")

Anyway, "Bohea" essentially came to be the "working man's tea" and was cheaper and more accessible than higher end blends.

This: https://www.spiceandtea.com/bohea-tea.html is my favorite of the style, it has a pretty distinct "smoked orange" flavor.

http://www.oliverpluff.com/colonial-bohea-tea/ is a bit cheaper, and is advertised as "more traditional" but I've never tried it.

19. Beach Hiker

Blog Posts:
    @tomcfitz
    I admire your exper- tea- se.
    Ouch. Bad pun.

20. tomcfitz

Blog Posts:
    @Beach Hiker I used to date a girl who was WAY more into it than I was. I absorbed most of that through just proximity.

She was also really into nail polish stuff, and I can probably still name a few dozen of the colors...

But I wish I could remember where I just put that ****ing wrench!

21. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Scout

Blog Posts:
    Go try to find some tea... or anything else.. you'll trip over the damn wrench ;)

I Appreciate the info too, I love learning these little tidbits and trivia, history etc. :)

Haggis, crewhead05 and tomcfitz like this.
  22. Drop Cord

Drop Cord Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Lapsang Souchsong is one of my favorites. All the flavor of a fine English blend tobacco in a warm drink!

23. Cachersquirrel

Cachersquirrel Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I've tried three so far. Twinings tea bags so far were the strongest aroma and flavor, and I've been able to re-steep them three times. Next are the Taylor's in tea bags. Not as aromatic, but a nice subtle and smooth smoke flavor. It's grown on me. Last is the the Harney & Sons in loose leaf. The least aromatic of the three, with the flavor nice subtle and smooth. I tried making it while at a scout event, but it seemed like just being outside took away the aroma and flavor. Still a good tea, but I think I'm preferring the more bold and in your face that makes it so divisive.

bacpacjac likes this.
  24. UAHiker

UAHiker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    next time i'm buying something off amazon this is going in my cart!!

crewhead05 and Huey like this.
  25. Brook Trout

Brook Trout Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I just ordered a batch of this stuff last week after it was mentioned by someone in another post. Haven' received it yet, but can't imagine I won't like it based on how it's been described by everyone.

crewhead05 likes this.
  26. Ohio_Steve

Ohio_Steve Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    If you just want some samples, try Upton Tea. I've been getting all of my tea from them for about a dozen years. They have several loose leaf varieties.

Finest Russian Caravan: https://goo.gl/te5t5g
    Original Blend Russian Caravan: https://goo.gl/VZmHYV
    And five different Lapsang Souchong: https://goo.gl/uTT9pR

You can get a 12 gram (~1/2 oz) sample of each for $17.35 including shipping. Yea, that's still about $0.85/cup, but that's the cost to try several. If you like one (or more) larger quantities are around $0.15/cup. Still more than your average grocery store tea, but always higher quality.

DavidJAFO, tomcfitz and crewhead05 like this.
  27. 45jack

45jack Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    This tea was mentioned in another post so earlier today I ordered some.
    Different brand but same type. Also ordered some rooibos or something like that.
    Just expanding my horizons

Outdoor Dauber and crewhead05 like this.
  28. BradGad

Blog Posts:
    Some may have read James Michener’s Centennial. It’s how I was introduced to Lapsang Souchong. This would have been in the 70s.

Alexander McKeag is one of the first mountain men, a gentle Scotsman who is tough as old leather. The Rendezvous starts many years after he goes into the West and partners with Pasquinel. Here, he is at his first Rendezvous.

~

McKeag bought nothing, would not even look seriously at anything. He had so simplified his life that he had all he required; his lead and powder he bought at regular intervals from whoever was passing his lonely camp. To indulge in something like sweetened peaches was beyond his imagination. And yet at this rendezvous he savored something so enticing that he would ever thereafter be its slave.

In the late afternoon he was standing by a tent run by a trapper-merchant from Oregon, an Englishman named Haversham, the only man at the rendezvous in European dress, and Haversham asked, “Care for a cup of tea?” It had been a long time since McKeag had drunk tea and he said, “Don’t mind if I do.”

The Englishman had two china cups and a small porcelain pot. Washing the cups with steaming water, he took down a square brown tin, opened the top carefully and placed a small portion of leaves in the pot. To McKeag they bore no visible difference from the tea leaves his mother had used, but when Haversham poured him a cup and he took his first sip, an aroma unlike any he had ever known greeted him. He sniffed it several times, then took a deep taste of the hot tea. It was better than anything he had previously tasted, better even than whiskey.

What did it taste like? Well, at first it was tarry, as if the person making the tea had infused by mistake some stray ends of well-tarred rope. But it was penetrating too, and a wee bit salty, and very rich and lingering. McKeag noticed that its taste dwelled in the mouth long after that of an ordinary tea. It was a man’s tea, deep and subtle and blended in some rugged place.

“What is it?” he asked. Haversham pointed to the brown canister, and McKeag said, “I can’t read.”

Haversham indicated the lettering and the scene of tea-pickers in India. “Lapsang souchong,” he said. “Best tea in the world.”

Impulsively McKeag asked, “You have some for sale?”

“Of course. We’re the agents.” It was a tea, Haversham explained, blended in India especially for men who had known the sea. It was cured in a unique way which the makers kept secret. “But smoke and tar must obviously play a part,” he said. It came normally from India to London, but the English traders in Oregon imported theirs from China.

“How long would a can like that last?” McKeag asked, cautiously again.

“It’ll keep forever … with the top on.”

“I mean, how many cups?”

“I use it sparingly. It would last me a year.”

“I’ll take two cans,” McKeag said, without asking the price. It was expensive, and as he tucked his small supply of coins back into his belt, Haversham explained, “The secret in making good lapsang souchong lies in heating the cup first. Heat it well. Then the flavor expands.” McKeag hid the canisters at the bottom of his gear, for he knew they were precious.

29. crewhead05

Blog Posts:
    Thats a good story

DavidJAFO, 45jack and BradGad like this.
  30. tomcfitz

Blog Posts:
    @Ohio_Steve Good looking out! I usually order from "Arbor Teas" but those samples are too good to pass up! (Also, for those of you into that sort of thing, Arbor Teas ships everything in compostable packaging, as well as being fair trade certified etc etc.)

@BradGad Wow! What an interesting story, I'll have to check out the source.

Ohio_Steve likes this.
  31. bacpacjac

bacpacjac Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I'm more of a coffee girl, but I need to try this soon! Thanks guys!

crewhead05, ExAF1N1 and DavidJAFO like this.
  32. ExAF1N1

ExAF1N1 LB-42 Purveyor of sharps and savory burnables. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Gonna look for this at the store on the way home tonight. I make sun tea in season with earl grey, hmm...

crewhead05 and DavidJAFO like this.
  33. DavidJAFO

DavidJAFO Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    hello,
    @crewhead05 there is quite a selection of Taylors of Harrogate teas in my local stores, I might try this wood smoke blend :) :44:
    Regards
    David

crewhead05 likes this.
  34. ExAF1N1

ExAF1N1 LB-42 Purveyor of sharps and savory burnables. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'm in luck! There wasn't any at the store, but it turns out my mom has an old box of it, I'm glad she never throws anything away! I'll be trying it soon! And she did confirm that it is indeed tarrey and smokey.

crewhead05 likes this.