Snakehead Fishing?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Gathering' started by SVTvin, Jan 1, 2017.

1. SVTvin

SVTvin Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Any snakehead guys on here? Im planning a few trips next summer, never hooked into one with most of my fishing done in the salt. I starting talking to some guy on Instagram that focuses on snakeheads got some good information but more is always good.

2. Ahnkochee

Ahnkochee Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    We've had them here on O'ahu, Hawai'i since the early to mid 1800s when the Chinese immigrants first brought them over with them along with Chinese Catfish, and Rice Paddy Eel all of which breathe surface air so easy to transport via slow ship from China as long as they are kept wet. Snakehead my favorite eating freshwater fish. They sure do chew up artificial lures with their toothy maw so local bass fishermen here don't like them much. They are super easy to catch using live tilapia for bait. Lately their numbers have been dwindling here so getting to be a rare catch. Back in the 1980s they were viewed a nuisance by the bass fishermen here.

gila_dog and SVTvin like this.
  3. andyblack

andyblack Scout

Blog Posts:
    I had no idea those things were good to eat. They're getting to be a problem in the canals and rivers in Florida. I'm sure their numbers will stabilize.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SVTvin and blind & lost like this.
  4. SVTvin

SVTvin Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Same thing happened here with them in NY. Importanted through china town. There viewed as a nuisance everywhere. People thought they would wipe out the normal species there but they have been both thriving in areas. Snakeheads seem to leave bass alone and because of how protective the mother snakehead is the bass leave the snakehead babies.

Yeah the guy i speak to just went on a trip to FLA for some snakeheads caught his PB. There pretty good eating actually, hopefully the fish is here to stay instead of getting wiped out by the states.

5. okcaveman

okcaveman Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Speaking from a wildlife managers viewpoint, that is a terrible thing to wish for. They may not be the apocalypse to any water with them in it, but they are not native and could cause very negative impacts to native fish. Just because they may not wipe out LMB doesn't mean they aren't something else...
    I'm sure the guys who transplanted brookies and browns all over the west thought it was a great idea, and now the natives are struggling in most places due to it...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

6. Ahnkochee

Ahnkochee Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Here in Hawai'i the very first invasive freshwater fish were the Snakehead, Chinese Catfish, and Rice Paddy Eels. Later on in the late 1890s Largemouth Bass and Bluegills were introduced along with Tilapia. Then in the late '50s Smallmouth Bass, and Peacock Bass were also introduced. These later introductions seemed to thrive here even though the Snakeheads had decades if not a century headstart to establish themselves. When I was a kid Snakeheads were common, and considered a nuisance by bass fishermen. The Snakeheads have been decreasing in number especially since the state made all bass species strictly catch and release about 20 years ago. Not sure if fishermen are eating more Snakeheads or there are more bass to eat Snakeheads but their numbers have declined drastically in the last 20 years.

I know back in the late 1800s both Striped Bass and Shad from the east coast (New Jersey) were brought over via rail and introduced to the Sacramento River Delta area of San Francisco Bay, and they have multiplied and spread north into Oregon, and south past Monterrey Bay and provide a thriving sport fishery to this day. I have not heard of any negative impact from this introduction, though I would be surprised if there wasn't.

Here in Hawai'i back in the late 1950's the then territorial government introduced several varieties of snappers and groupers from different parts of the Pacific including French Polynesia, and Mexico. In their infinate wisdom they noticed that Hawai'i had no native shallow water snappers or groupers so they decided they'd do the sport fishermen a favor and introduce them (State sanctioned stupidity). Today 2 species of snapper and 1 grouper has taken hold of their new environment and are causing havoc. The single grouper that took root here the Blue Argus Grouper aka Ro'i eats everything in sight, and sportsmen avoid them like the plague because the vast majority caught here are toxic (ciguatera) to eat. The 2 snappers have no cultural connection to these islands so many local people don't eat these invasives. I personally keep every Ro'i Grouper I catch to turn into fertilizer and enjoying eating the snappers so keep every one of these too.

7. Turtle Creek

Turtle Creek Scout

Blog Posts:
    My buddy who is in the 'fish business' calls me a few years ago and says that he will be on Anthony Zimmerns Travel Channel show ... They take Zimmern fishing on Washington DC's stretch of the Potomac River for them. They night bow-fish in the river and creeks. Snakehead are everywhere (and really BIG) around DC now. In the show, they cooked the fish right on the boat - Zimmern loved it and gave it his seal of approval.

[​IMG]
    (Pic from Travel Ch/Zimmern's show)

Here's a random youtube video of a Potomac River snakehead caught on bow:

j_d likes this.