Snapping turtle recipes

Discussion in 'Cooking & Water Purification' started by Tylitian, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Tylitian

Tylitian Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Hey all! So a few weeks ago I went out to an old farm pond with @Dandaman and set a few lines out for turtles. Usually I catch one or two, but the next day when we went out to check the lines and caught 3 good sized turtles... Well our work was cut out for us for sure! I am not super amazing at butchering turtles so it takes me about 45 min per turtle from start to finish.

Anyway we got them all cleaned up and today I decided to cook some of it up. I decided to braise the meat so i heated up a cast iron stove and poured in some olive oil and seared the meat then threw in garlic and mirepoix (onion, carrot, and celery) and sauteed it up. When I was happy with the color of the veges I added chicken stock and homemade salsa and let is simmer on the stove for several hours. It was delicious!

I was just wondering if any of y'all had some good recipes or ideas for snapping turtle cause I still have a ton in the freezer to cook up!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
    morganbw, MrFixIt, alukban and 5 others like this.
  2. NattyBo

NattyBo Bon Vivant Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Dandaman, morganbw, MrFixIt and 2 others like this.
  3. marbleman

marbleman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have never eaten a common snapper, but they hold an odd fascination/hate for them. They are very primitive. They don't hibernate, but can get oxygen by pushing their head out of the mud and allowing gas exchange to take place through the membranes of their mouth and throat. This is known as extrapulmonary respiration. If they cannot get enough oxygen through this method they start to utilize anaerobic pathways, burning sugars and fats without the use of oxygen.

Out of the water, they can be borderline aggressive, they can amputate a finger. They strike like a snake, one of my favorite dogs as a child had it's foreleg tendons cut by a snapper, effectively making it a three-legged dog.

Dandaman, morganbw, NattyBo and 3 others like this.
  4. zelph

zelph Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    When I was a kid my uncle cut the meat up into chunks, placed them in a bowl and then called me over to watch the chunks wiggle when he added salt to them. he cooked them in a frying pan as you did. Tastes like chicken :) Actually, different parts of the turtle has their own flavor. Some more "earthy" than others. ;-) I helped butcher them by grasping the beak with pliers and pulling so the neck would stretch out enough for him to put his ax to it.

Dandaman, marbleman, morganbw and 3 others like this.
  5. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    My grandfather would catch them and put them in a barrel. He would feed them greens for about a week to "clean" them out.
    After butchering, grandmother would boil the chunks and make a turtle soup with onions, carrots, taters and garlic.
    Served with fresh homemade bread...it was delicious!!

6. TWill

TWill Guide

Blog Posts:
    We dredge them with buttermilk and cornmeal mix and deep fry them like fish. Cut the chunks down so they cook through, about the size of bluegill fillets. The only snapping that happens is us eating them.

7. evegrant

evegrant Tracker

Blog Posts:
    It's said that turtles are nutritious but I haven't eaten them.

morganbw and Dandaman like this.
  8. Butler Ford

Butler Ford Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Floured and fried, same way you would chicken.

BF

morganbw, TWill and Dandaman like this.
  9. quintonhall

quintonhall Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Those critters have several different tasting cuts of meat inside. very tasty though

morganbw likes this.
  10. TWill

TWill Guide

Blog Posts:
    I don't know about the different flavors of meat that is supposed to be tasted on one but if they came out of a cattle pond expect the flavor to be a bit cow pie. We have a fair number up here in our ponds and swamp areas and they taste good but like most fried meats you season it to suit you so I get lots of black pepper and cayenne in my coating mixes.

morganbw likes this.