1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

Snugpak Underquilt

Discussion in 'Hammocks' started by SniperSurvivalist, Jan 4, 2017.

1. SniperSurvivalist

SniperSurvivalist Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I want to get a hammock and the snugpak underquilt . I'd like to know has anyone had any experience with this underquilt like how is the tie on system is it easy no needing anything added like caribeners. Plus what temperature would you say for the Snugpak UnderQuilt .

FootPathOne likes this.
  2. Luafcm

Luafcm Scout

Blog Posts:
    I won't speak for the temp, but I found it quite easy to attach to a snugpak jungle hammock and also a grand trunk ul hammock. The suspension system was easy to setup IMO. I didn't modify anything.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

3. SniperSurvivalist

Blog Posts:
    i spent just a little too much to be able to afford that one was the original plan but didn't fit the budget but otherwise yeah it looks great.

FootPathOne likes this.
  4. SniperSurvivalist

Blog Posts:
    true i just ran out of people to ask stuff from. But my pack weight is starting to get high which is second reason of going with the underquilt to save weight.

FootPathOne likes this.
  5. SniperSurvivalist

Blog Posts:
    Lol i wish with the food -n- water . but yeah problem is either one i'd get be lugging a 3lb sleeping bag and 3lb wool blanket and 1lb poly throw with so it can go down to 10 degrees but yeah am thinking end of this year to get the cocoon and get one of them down sleeping bags to cut weight even more but while be a bit to get that stuff, so the underquilt would be more of to settle me for now till i can take it down weight . And yeah the cocoon does look cool. Good luck on cutting back on weight on you loadout.

FootPathOne likes this.
  6. grey mouse

grey mouse Scout

Blog Posts:
    I don't have the under quilt but I do have the cocoon. The cocoon can be used like an under quilt I guess. I do know that at three feet you can't feel a leaf blower on high blasting away at it from inside. It blocks the wind very nicely. We tested it one night in the high 20's to low 30's with only a MMS (all three) bag inside and Lazy Squirrel measured the inside air temp at 78 degrees with him snug inside the bag. He started sweating shortly and had to come out of the bag. Their products work but the sewing is a big issue. One of my cocoons came without tabs and the other tore some stitching the first time out even though I was very careful with it.

7. SniperSurvivalist

Blog Posts:
    yeah i saw that supossedly that is fixed now, just letting you know according to this .

FootPathOne likes this.
  8. SniperSurvivalist

Blog Posts:
    You're welcome even though am not buying it as of yet , i will in the future probally and glad to help on that .

FootPathOne likes this.
  9. grey mouse

grey mouse Scout

Blog Posts:
    Fellow member Lazy Squirrel bought one last week and has had no issues as of yet. He immediately took it to the river and hung by a sand bar on an over nighter. There were no discrepancies when he received it either.

10. BushNSnow80

BushNSnow80 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have the snugpak uq. I like it. I'm a budget friendly camper and this to me was a great buy. Half the price of the next one up. I used it in 18 degrees with a self inflating pad and zero degree bag and I was toasty. Setting it up was easy. Once I had it set up, I tied knots in the attaching chords and added a carabiner on each end so it would be easy to set up and take down in the future.

11. davidchagrin

davidchagrin Scout

Blog Posts:
    I got the Snugpak uq for Xmas from my wonderful wife. I've yet to use it in the field, but it's worked well in my cold basement. Easy to set up. Compression sack is nice. Stitching appears to be good, but time will tell. For under $50 for bottom insulation, the Snugpak really can't be beat.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

12. rmil

rmil Texan

Blog Posts:
    I'm by no means well versed in underquilts, but anyone have any experience with these?

Outdoor Vitals OV-Roost 40°F UnderQuilt / Sleeping Bag, Use As Ultralight UnderQuilt, Sleeping Bag, or Double Bag (40°F / Blue, Regular) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HQU4A84/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_89.CybDBAH9J9

Roughly same price, usable as a sleeping bag, and 2 lbs lighter if I'm reading correctly.

All apologies if I'm derailing the OPs intended thread.

SniperSurvivalist likes this.
  13. davidchagrin

davidchagrin Scout

Blog Posts:
    Sarge seems to dig it.

They make a cooler weather version, too. I believe that the Snugpak will take you to cooler temps than the Roost. This may account for some of the weight difference.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

rmil and SniperSurvivalist like this.
  14. Badger5

Badger5 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    This video helped me greatly. It really simplifies the suspension system. I can provide more details and pictures when I setup my hammock next. He uses some Dutchware gear....their stuff is awesome. Dutch is a great guy and I highlight recommend giving him your business (I am in no way affiliated, just a happy customer).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rmil likes this.
  15. SniperSurvivalist

Blog Posts:
    Well i have decided to go with a pad for now but will definitely consider Duthware Gear for when i am ready to spend a bit of money .

16. Crossbowboy

Crossbowboy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I guess I'll chime in here...

Last weekend I finally mixed enough alcohol with my OCD to try hanging in my SP underblanket. I think we brushed 50 degrees for the low, and I was a happy and toasty camper.

My attachment solution was to simply tie a few jank-ass knots in all the cords and hook them to the tarp prussics on my stock Hennessy Explorer. One beer and some monkey work adjusting the knots and I was hanging gap free. I have a pic somewhere if you want to see.

Just my .02, but I love the thing! I also have the Hennessy bubble pad and super-shelter system, but won't miss the bulk in the warmer months.