So, about that trip...

Discussion in 'General Bushcraft Discussion' started by dads2vette, May 10, 2019.

1. dads2vette

dads2vette Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Apparently, it is not my destiny to take this trip. The one I've had to cancel each of the past two years. The one I've had booked for months. The one I've harassed you all over for over a year. Campsites booked, hotel rooms booked...blah blah blah.

I'm back in Mesa after my stint helping my brother back in Buffalo. I was getting the wood to complete the storage installation in the back of the truck. Throw it in reverse and bang, then nothing. It does go into drive. I'm having a shop I trust take a look. The chances of it being a clutch is slim(reverse and first use the same clutch) so it seems it's a catastrophic failure. There's an outside chance it could be a few simple thing so we'll see.

I'm suppose to leave in 17 days. I can't afford a new truck or much of a used one so I'm Kind of stuck.

Really, it's an inconvenience. It's not my health, the kids are good and it'll just take some time. I'll have to save some $$$ for a vehicle but better than needing a kidney.

I'll update later but now I have to cal AAA

dave

2. fixits

fixits Noble Savage Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Bummer..fingers crossed for a quick n inexpensive resolution.

Still lots of snow in MT by the way. Beartooth pass wont be open for a while.

3. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead LB#42 Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Hate to hear that Dave. Hopefully just something minor...

4. Bobsdock

Bobsdock So long, and thanks for all the fish Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Bummer ! Hopefully it's an easy fix and you can still make your trip.

5. Andy 315

Andy 315 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Oh no. I am sorry to hear this. Hoping for a mechanical miracle.

6. CivilizationDropout

CivilizationDropout -MOA #17- Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    That is the worst, all that anticipation hurts when it lands...

7. M.Hatfield

M.Hatfield Midnight Joker #42 Lifetime Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hope you can still make it out. I will also pray for a miracle. :)

8. Beyond the Firelight

Beyond the Firelight Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Keep us posted. Here's hoping for a quick and easy fix.

CosmicJoke, fixits, Sosteve and 5 others like this.
  9. dads2vette

Blog Posts:
    I'm not giving up hope. I'm starting the cooking and freezing for the trip. Grilled chicken roasted with green chili sauce. It's out of the oven and cooling. Tomorrow I'm going to start smoking the pork buttes. I also got delivery of 2# of jerky, and 4# of dried blueberries. I picked up a corned beef roast. It was on sale for $2 a lb. How can you go wrong?

If I don't go at least I'll have delicious of choices for meals over the next few weeks.

10. blind & lost

blind & lost LB#42 Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Wish you the best!

11. T. Pollock

T. Pollock T's Custom Outdoor Gear Vendor Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Sorry to hear that Dave, hope it's something minor.

12. central joe

central joe Wait For Me!! Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Wishing you a cheaper fix. joe

13. gohammergo

gohammergo I like sharp things.... Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    What truck do you have @dads2vette ? I assume auto trans? Does it go forward in first?

14. dads2vette

Blog Posts:
    2003 GMC Sierra 1500 auto. It does go forward in first. I'd just been to Home Depot and was returning with wood. Backing into a slight up grade truck stopped. Thought I hit a large rock that is next to the driveway. I pulled forward, put it in reverse and it just whirred. Back in drive, pulled into the street and turned around so it could be towed. I heard a quiet bang and then I couldn't back up but the truck is noisy so that could be nothing. I've done a little research, maybe it's the sun shell or the reverse band or worse.

I'm hoping the "on/off" switch magically switched to "off" and the shop will just switch it to "on".:dblthumb:

dave

15. Quinlan

Quinlan Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Greetings,

Here's to hoping for a swift resolution and fix!

Are you gonna make pemmican?

Regards,

Christos

16. gohammergo

Blog Posts:
    Transmissions are hard to figure out. Sounds like something bound up when it stopped the first time, and then maybe broke completely?

I don't know much about transmissions, but it sounds like it has been working good up until now? So it doesn't sound like it is shot or worn out, just like something broke.... Hopefully there is just a part that can be replaced.

17. highlander

highlander Veni Vidi comedit lardum Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I’m not %100 sure about your Chevy, but my old GMC had a modulator valve on the transmission.
    When it went bad I lost reverse and the ability to go anywhere. Good luck and hope you get it repaired quickly and affordably.

18. dads2vette

Blog Posts:
    No pemmican. A neighbor and I are suppose to make a large batch of jerky this week but since I can't get home without a truck, that's on hold.

Transmissions are something I've never done anything with, just swapped them if needed. The truck has about 215k on it so I'm guessing a full rebuild is in order. I can get it done at a cheap shop for about $1800. I don't want to throw that into this truck. Problem is I don't have the cash for a new(to me) vehicle and certainly can't afford a monthly payment for a new truck.

Like I've said before, it's an inconvenience. No sense in getting upset about it. That doesn't help work out the problem.

dave

19. mjh

mjh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Sorry to hear about your vehicle troubles,,,been there.....

Hey at least your broke down where you live......not on some back road state highway on your trip.....been there too.....

When life throws a curve it's best to curve with life....

Hope ye get it sorted out and are able to get on the road..

20. bush-hunter

bush-hunter Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Well sir as a tranny man I would say buy a junkyard transmission and swap it yourself. But it sounds like you should drop the pan probably check the solenoids for 1800$ they are not going to remove and rebuild and install and put fluid in. 1800$ is a bench job you pull and you install.
    What is your year make and model and I will try to find you a used tranny in your area.

21. dads2vette

Blog Posts:
    Kind of sort of at home. I'm at my Mom's. I live 180 miles north and can't get there until the truck is fixed or I get a different one. I don't know anyone that has vehicle that will make it to the property. I'd take the vette on the trip but my gear is at my house. I could ask the neighbors to grab my stuff or take me there but that's way too much to ask for something as trivial as a vacation.

Before my move to AZ I sold most of the tools I'd need to replace a transmission. All I have with me is a light duty emergency set. The estimate was for a rebuild from a shop that specializes in "economical" repairs for low income families. The shop I usually have work done suggested them. They would charge about double.

dave

22. bush-hunter

bush-hunter Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That makes sense sometimes shops tell you a low ball estimate to get the okay for work then tell you 3000$ when done.
    I would really love to help you but there is to much distance between us.

23. gohammergo

Blog Posts:
    I feel your pain Dave. I have been there, and not that long ago. Needed to fix the engine in my work van, so I kinda borrowed my son's old Dodge, then the front end crapped out on that when it was super cold here. I ended up buying a truck from a "friend" who hosed me down pretty good on it.

Tranny's are not the easiest thing to work on, especially if you don't have tools or assistance. It sure sucks to be getting age under us. Back in my wrenching days I would routinely change transmissions alone. It was no big deal to swap out a tranny and have it back up and running by that night, and that was just having the truck on ramps.

It's a dilemma for sure.

24. Holtzcraft

Holtzcraft Guide

Blog Posts:
    Sorry to hear. Hope you can get it sorted quickly and cheaply and still make your vacation.

25. dads2vette

Blog Posts:
    My regular shop been very good to me. I use to work on my own cars so I am lucky enough to know when someone is trying to take advantage. I've walked out of a couple places. They've saved me some cash along the way and stand by their work. They suggested the cheaper shop so I'm comfortable with that (unlikely) option. Thanks for the offer. It's really appreciated.

It's funny you mentioned how the years "creep" up on you. The last trip to help my brother we both talked about how much we were dragging compared to previous years. We're still blaming the weather tho. I remember the engine swaps that took an afternoon...ah, the (foggy) memories.

dave

26. dads2vette

Blog Posts:
    Update on the truck. R.I.P. 2003 GMC Sierra. Needs a tranny for sure. Even low balling a repair doesn't make sense in throwing the money into it. I spent part of the morning talking to three used cars guys, just prepping myself for the bad news. Made me want to shoot myself in the face.

dave

27. gohammergo

Blog Posts:
    I am assuming that you definitely need a 4x4 to get in to your place.... Does it have to be a truck for you? Would something like an explorer or such work?

28. dads2vette

Blog Posts:
    4x4 for slop and steep grade, pick up to haul water. I've got a couple 55 gallon drums I throw in the back of the truck.

dave

29. CosmicJoke

CosmicJoke Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That stinks!
    Vehicles usually crap out at the worst times possible.

central joe and dads2vette like this.
  30. dads2vette

Blog Posts:
    This could have been a whole lot worse. At least I was in a populated area with roads, cell service and AAA!

dave

CosmicJoke and RangerWeaver like this.
  31. central joe

central joe Wait For Me!! Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    How about a Suburban/Blazer and a small trailer to haul the water? joe

CosmicJoke and dads2vette like this.
  32. dads2vette

Blog Posts:
    Been looking into those as well the last couple hours. Prices are certainly less than 4wd pick ups.

Thanks,
    dave

CosmicJoke likes this.
  33. CosmicJoke

CosmicJoke Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Been there a couple times. My Jeep only likes to go hunting when she feels like it. I have a '98 GCL I bought about 6 years ago ( I bought it in 2013 ). First year I owned it had an issue with the plate/tube to fill the gas tank, out for two weeks during deer season. The next year after having a brake line replaced, the mechanic forgot to tighten the lug nuts ( I forgot to check ) and an hour away from home heading to the ADK's to hunt on a back road I got a nasty shimmy. I had cell service, but it took a tow truck almost two hours to get to me. It was only the lug nuts and I didn't have my wrench in the truck.
    Two years ago, opening day of Spring turkey season I load up, hit the brake pedal to start my Jeep and once it rumbles the brake pedal goes to the floor. Blew a brake line. I was not happy, and I didn't have the cash to get the repair done, so I sat out the entire Spring turkey season.
    Last year, again, opening day of Spring turkeys season, I load up, make the short drive to my spot, climb about half way up the mountain and hammer the owl hooter. Gobbles blasting off where I knew they would come from. I think, try to make the hike to the other end of the land or drive to the other parking area? I decide drive to cut them off faster. I get to the other parking area shut off the Jeep, but, there's a truck already there, it's faintly light in the sky. Hunter ethics come into play. Do I head up the mountain and possibly ruin someone else's hunt, or go back to the northern parking area I started at. I decide to do the right thing and go back where I started. I turn the key and nothing! Not even click-click-click! I got lucky somewhat on this one, it was early enough my wife hadn't left for work yet, so she was able to drive over and give me a jump. This one, if, and I do mean IF , any tow service would have come out, it again would have been hours. I was really worried it was the alternator, but it was just the battery.

Like I said, machines break when you least want them to break.