So. Fess up. Who uses a Bic lighter? Edit: And hidden GAW ;)

Discussion in 'Fire' started by PAcanis, Jul 29, 2019.

1. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:

There we go. Patent that phrase.
    "Bushcraft Bic"

Now in all black with black metal.
    And the flame adjust dial is back.

Coming to your favorite bushcraft specialty store ;)

2. Adirondack American

Adirondack American Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Ha ha! I run all pink usually or a more manly term for the color.... Salmon I dig the pink bc not to many guys will steal a pink lighter and when I drop or leave it somewhere it’s real easy to find

petey-k, BBizy, MrFixIt and 1 other person like this.
  3. roadend

roadend Wandering Where I Can Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have never bought a lighter, (other than grill lighters) but have several. They seem to be as prevalent as water bottles and pick them up off the ground. If they have fluid left I clean the dirt off and they are good to go. I carry one in every car and pack. Only use it when I am feeling lazy (not saying it is for lazy people) or other methods are not working.

4. NORKALNIMROD

NORKALNIMROD Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Don’t leave home without one or more!

NORKAL

5. Bushcraft-kelso

Bushcraft-kelso Am are Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    I keep on me all the time, used it to start a fire today as a matter of fact

6. chndlr04

chndlr04 roughian #2 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I keep a bic in my haversack and ruck along with a ferro rod. I’m trying to work in a bic into my edc but haven’t figured a way to carry it without interfering with the rest of my carry

7. Woodpuppy

Woodpuppy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hell yes! Keep them in the key bowl at home, the pickup, the van, office desk, first aid kit, tool box, etc. They’re cheap and they work.

8. Plainsman

Plainsman Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have BICs all over the place, EDC, every pack/kit/etc. they are my primary firestarter. The one in my pocket has a few wraps of duct tape for incidental use.

9. petey-k

petey-k Tracker

Blog Posts:
    A rather embarrassed Yes. Big mini fits perfectly in the coin pocket of my jeans. Don’t smoke or dip.

10. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The small watch pocket is underutilized IMO.
    If all my jeans had one I would use it for something, but since some do and some don't I don't want to get used to having one.

MrFixIt and petey-k like this.
  11. LostViking

LostViking Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Bics,

I want to like/love them. I just don’t.

I get that they are an engeneering marvel and all.
    Simple, rugged, no loss of fuel like a Zippo.

And they certainly are simple enough.

I guess I must just be stupid or something. I hate them. Sure I carry them in my packs. I have one at camp in a plastic jar. Ihave them in the vehicles.

But after all that, I still hate them. Maybe it’s my environment. Maybe it’s my lack of skill.

I aftually used one last night to start a fire. I had some feathers and curls done up. Basic fire prep stuff. It was raining pretty good. So I decided to forego the ferro rod and just cheat.

Managed to burn both thumbs in the process. Seems I can’t even light a candle with a Bic without getting burnt. Probably why I never took up smoking

Every time I use a Bic I come away unhappy, physically damaged, or unsatisfied.

They don’t work that good when wet. They don’t work that good when cold, the don’t like wind. Those three factors alone leave me cold, figuratively as awell as literally.

I also don’t like the fact that you can’t keep the flame lit without holding onto the button.

With a Zippo, in the rain or wind, I can set it on the ground and hold the tinder bundle over it. To let the heat enter from the bottom and rise naturally up through the bundle.

I’m not knocking Bics. And I know I am the odd man out.

But if someone said hey, you’re going to spend some time with Alexander Selkirk. Which would you rather have a Bic lighter of a ferro rod? I’d take the ferro rod every time.

I know Exotac makes a cool cover for Bics. One that keeps it dry and also has a flap that loops over the button so you can let go of it. It may solve a lot of my issues. But I haven’t tried it yet.

I’m far from a purist. But lately I have even been shunning my belove jute twine in favor of all field sourced materials. I don’t get as many one strike fires. But I derive a great deal of satisfaction from this approach.

It’s all time and need dependent. And I will always carry a Bic.
    If I’m ever found dead in the woods. Look roughly two hundred feet from my body. That is where you’ll likely find my Bic. That’s a reasonable toss when it disappoints me.

[​IMG]

Now a push button plumber’s torch. That’s something I can wrap my head around!

aaronu, MrFixIt, PAcanis and 3 others like this.
  12. Young Blacksmith

Young Blacksmith Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I like Bics. I like my Jetline refillable pipe lighter. I like Corona Old Boys too, but don't own one ($$$) yet. Inspired by this thread, I picked up two more bics, and switched out my Jetline for one. They're lighter, and not electronic ignition, which may be more useful when I'm out of the house. I like zippos too, something very classic about them and the smell of the fuel burning. I like ferro rods and flint and steel. I guess I just like fire!

13. Foulwind

Foulwind Guide

Blog Posts:
    In the Redwoods, Santa Cruz Mountains, CA.
    I've never carried a lighter, no hourly. daily need (Read don't smoke anything) but recently started walking up to house to get a long neck we use for fireplace and use it to light a oil lamp down in our yard I think I filled it with citronella oil for bugs. I've started to walk our new kitten around our yard and let him run on a long lead chasing bugs and what-nots and started lighting the lamp. Got tired always running up to house so remembered I had a 3 pack of Bic's in my work EDC so broke one out to carry and use in the yard now.
    It might have slipped out of pocket when I was digging into a slight uphill surface to level out the space under some chairs though. (Or it could still be in the cargo pocket ont eh shorts I had on at the time?)
    So yes I admit I carry a Bic.

Update my bic was in my shorts pocket

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    MrFixIt and PAcanis like this.
  14. oddjob35

oddjob35 Scout

Blog Posts:
    As you can see from David's post, the major differences between a Clipper and a Bic are that the Clipper can be refilled with gas and the flint can be replaced. The other major difference is that the body of a Clipper is cylindrical with the square-ish protrusion on one side and not ovoid like a Bic. In the UK I used Clippers on a day-to-day basis (with a zippo for when I wanted to be flashy). Over here in the USA you can find clippers if you look carefully (I did find them in Walmart), but I now use a Bic for everyday carry, I still have a zippo, but for camp I now tend to use a Jobon jet flame refillable. Less affected by wind and less easy to burn yourself when trying to tip a lighter down low or into small spaces when trying to light a fire (especially in a stove) or an esbit cube for example. The downside to the Jobon that I got (see it HERE), is trying to use it one handed. The collar to turn the gas on is awkward to use one handed, but does mean that it is VERY hard to accidentally discharge gas like with the Bic lever type gas release accidentally getting pushed when packed alongside other gear.

As already mentioned I carry standard Bic(s) daily and also as backup when out and about. I do use a ferro rod as well to be more bushcrafty and have some matches in my PSK just in case, but generally just pull out one of my lighters when I need an ignition source. Call me lazy or just plain practical!

OJ

MrFixIt, PAcanis and DavidJAFO like this.