So..I guess I'm moving to Jersey!

Discussion in 'New Jersey' started by Bushcraft and Brews, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Bushcraft and Brews

Bushcraft and Brews Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hello all! I just accepted a job near Atlantic City and I know nothing about the area. I would appreciate any info you can provide. This is a big move for my family and I would like to start off on the right foot!
    Thanks,
    Jason

2. Terasec

Terasec Guide

Blog Posts:
    Look up nj pine barrens
    That would be your best bet for outdoor
    Activities
    Next would be pa state forests and game lands

beestokk, wingnuts, JeffG and 2 others like this.
  3. Monkeynono

Monkeynono Guide

Blog Posts:
    The Pine Barrens are awesome, the scenery doesn't change but I love it. Good luck with the move and new job.

4. Bushcraft and Brews

Blog Posts:
    Thanks!

central joe likes this.
  5. central joe

central joe Wait For Me!! Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I wish you and your family well lad. joe

6. wingnuts

wingnuts Hunter/Gatherer Provider/Protector Supporter

Blog Posts:
    While expensive as all get out Jersey ain't half bad! Get a surf rod and find some stripers! Seven bridges area with a yak. As mentioned the barrens are cool, take someone as it can be easy to get turned around! The whole area looks similar. Get a good tick repellent the barrens are loaded with the parasites! So welcome and good luck with your transition.

7. beestokk

beestokk Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Born and raised in NJ, now live in Missouri. NJ is a highly underrated and misunderstood state in my opinion hahaha. I miss it for its close access to ocean, river, lake, mountain, and a good mix of all 4 seasons. Little harder to get away from it all then out here in MO (which I also very much like for different reasons), but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised if you give NJ a fair shake. Don't limit yourself to NJ, plenty of good places within a few hours drive or less too in surrounding states.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
  8. Pastor Chris

Pastor Chris Keeper of the T.Darrah Tenkara Pass-Around Hobbyist Supporter Hardwoodsman Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Agreed 100%! There is a very active segment of the BCUSA community all over New Jersey.

9. TomC

TomC Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    But don't limit yourself to the AC area. Take a journey up to the highlands area, views above the water gap can be stunning.

Bushcraft and Brews and beestokk like this.
  10. beestokk

beestokk Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    ^^^^ This for sure. I'm from northern Jersey and the Del Water Gap is really unique. Plus access to the App trail right there too which some may not realize. I regret not spending more time there when I was local.

Another good spot not too far from up north if you head that way is Pinnacle Trail in PA - good hike, rough terrain ("the place boots go to die"), great views.

Another great spot further north (in New York) so bit of a drive from AC is Forked Lake - hike-in and/or boat-access only camp sites, couple on some islands.

Nearer you would be Island Beach State Park near Point Pleasant NJ if still open to public, was some budget stuff going on last year I think. And Pine Barrens as mentioned - Nice fatwood source there as well from what I've seen/heard.

Also south into Maryland is Assateague Island with shore side wooded camping, some hike in only, and the wild ponies. Really unique. Closest national Forest that I know of is George Washington in West Virginia but worth the trip.

I know that's a broad net to cast but figure better to have more information than not enough!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    Bushcraft and Brews likes this.
  11. Monkeynono

Monkeynono Guide

Blog Posts:
    This, the ticks here are insane. I have removed probably 1000s from my dog and myself.

Yes, the pines is easy to get turned around but there are tricks to help with that.

12. gdwigg

gdwigg Old Guy Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Make sure you read up on the gun laws for the state. Most people wouldn't call NJ a very gun friendly place.

Good luck to you and your family.

13. Sticks N' Stones

Sticks N' Stones Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm up north by the border with PA so I don't have much experience with the Pine Barrens, but heard it's a nice place, one tip I will give you is you have to be careful if you stay for any amount of time in Camden, Trenton, Paterson, etc. While there are certainly kind people in those cities, most drivers are very rude and aggressive, and they aren't a good place to keep anything with potential valuable in your car out in the open (My mother worked as an ESL teacher in Paterson and had a small package of school supplies stolen from her car, someone broke the window and got a bunch of pencils and sticky notes.)

Not sure what kind of crowds hang by the Pine Barrens, but when I was up in Delaware National Park (I had a recurve bow with blunts for stump shooting), my car got vandalized by self righteous dirt bikers. Luckily my bow wasn't stolen, but my car was keyed all over, dented everywhere with a bat or rock, and had KILLER written on my back window in mud. (I heard the same people yell a$$hole when my dad and I were fishing there as well) Not sure how they think riding loud dirt bikes doesn't affect the tranquil ambiance of the park.

(Oh if you go to the barrens on overnighters, watch out for the Jersey Devil)

Bushcraft and Brews likes this.
  14. Bhart89

Bhart89 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I grew up in NJ (Wharton State Forest area). The pine barrens are a very unique ecosystem. I spent many summers in Brigantine (small island just north of AC).

15. USMCPOP

USMCPOP Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  16. wingnuts

Blog Posts:
    Not sure where you were but dirt bikes are a big no no in the park! That’s federal land! I find the “locals” in that area tend to think they can do what they please. Lot’s of poaching!

17. wingnuts

Blog Posts:
    I’m about in the middle between the barrens and the gap. I prefer the gap area as I hunt it and feel more comfortable in old hardwood forests. And I rarely pick off more than a tick or two at best!

beestokk and Bushcraft and Brews like this.
  18. Paulyseggs

Paulyseggs Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    What I was gonna say!

Fishing is fantastic

19. Catherine Felegi

Catherine Felegi Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Welcome to the Dirty Jerz! If you like the outdoors, then you are in the right spot with the Pine Barrens :)

Journey up a little north, and you can also find the gem that is Sandy Hook. Famed for the nudist beach (to each their own?), but there is SO much more you can do clothed, including camping, fishing from both the bay and the sea, and it is steeped in history, beauty, and nature. Sandy Hook was once a part of the American Revolution (for the other side), and is still an active military base (Coast Guard is at the tip). They have historians all over, and the Nike Missle Silo is a must if you have an interest in the Cold War era. I always try to attend the informative events held by the American Littoral Society. Jeff, who is the lead fish guy there, holds fish tagging events and teaches how to fish from the surf. Plus, my favorite thing to do camping? To go to the fishing beach, where you can get a glimpse of Manhattan, and you can see the sunrise over the skyscrapers.

Attaching a shot of my boyfriend with a cownose ray he caught at Sandy Hook after a random fisherman (who turned out to be a professor of Biology at Monmouth University) approached him asking for help not once, but twice, reeling these bad boys in who kept on accidentally getting hooked on his line.

Further up north (sorry, I know the north better than the south), you are going to find the vast Delaware Water Gap. Campgrounds dot that area all over, and you practically trip over the white water rafting and canoeing companies over there. Rentals are cheap, the task itself isn't bad, and you have a great time. My favorite was floating along the Delaware in my raft in one of the calm areas, and watching guys throwing beers back and forth to one another. While I wasn't happy with the pollution aspect, it was pretty awesome when my boyfriend and friend managed to score free beer from the cans that they didn't receive and just let float (again, I do not condone the pollution aspect AT ALL). The Gap is also beautiful to behold during the winter when icicles cling to the cliffsides. Look carefully and some people decide to add food coloring to the ice, letting you go through a Willy Wonka winter wonderland as you drive.

If you get here in time, you can attend one of the many maple sugaring events (my boyfriend and I are hoping to hit one up at High Point State Park on March 23rd! Let me know if you care to meet!).

Whatever you do, if you are a camper, make sure you bookmark the NJ DOE campsite registration so that you can explore a bit. https://www.njportal.com/DEP/NJOutdoors

So again, welcome, and I hope you love it here!

Attached Files:

20. Outdoor Dauber

Outdoor Dauber Roughian #3 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Prayers and smoke sent! lol

Odinborn and Bushcraft and Brews like this.
  21. Bushcraft and Brews

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for all of the info. We will be somewhere between Philly and AC. I was surprised at all of the park land in that area. I might be a little to modest for the nude beaches but you never know! This is a big step for the family and we are looking forward to this new adventure.

22. Monkeynono

Monkeynono Guide

Blog Posts:
    Just as a note, jersey has a 10round magazine limit for both handgun and long gun.

23. beacon

beacon Simul justus et peccator Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I grew up, and spent most of my life in and around the Pine Barrens. 1 million+ acres of protected wilderness is a jewel of the state, IMO.
    There is a lot to be learned about the very unique ecosystem there, and it's a fatwood paradise :)

I've since left though, and happier for it. I don't miss the liberal climate, increasing tax burden / cost of living, and crowding.

The chiggers are way worse in my experience (39 years in the Pine Barrens). Do not tread lightly through overgrown trails; Pants, high socks and DEET (or Permethrin) are your friends.

Yeah, start with needing a firearm purchaser permit for a BB gun :-( It's downhill from there.

rsnurkle and gdwigg like this.
  24. Bushcraft and Brews

Blog Posts:
    I saw that. It looks like I'll be leaving a few things in VA with some friends.

25. wingnuts

Blog Posts:
    That’s a tiny Ray! Those PITA’s get up to 70# and 4 ft across! Come July /August you can walk across them!

26. Monkeynono

Monkeynono Guide

Blog Posts:
    I live almost exactly between philly and AC. If you end up close let me know. Ill take you on a tour of the Pine Barrens.

Bushcraft and Brews and beestokk like this.