Solo Section Hiking

Discussion in 'Backpacking' started by UAHiker, Jun 1, 2018.

1. UAHiker

UAHiker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    as a solo hiker for a while now i've been limiting myself to doing loops just because i start and end at the same place. i'm running out of loop trails and have been seriously wanting to do some sections but the logistics of either getting back to my car or getting to the trail head has been a problem. i've thought about taxi's but seems kinda expensive, doubt uber is going anywhere i want to go.... any other thoughts? anything worked for you?

2. rk_az

rk_az Wandering Supporter

Blog Posts:
    If you have a friend who wants to do the same section in the opposite direction, you could exchange keys in the middle...or exchange spare keys in advance.

3. martin9700

martin9700 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    LOL, or you could drop their car off at the exit point and then both drive to the entry point and hike together. Unless you don't really like them that much ;)

4. CivilizationDropout

CivilizationDropout -MOA #17-MYOG #71- Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Or it's really an epic haul with tandem trail camp bull session in the middle.. :D

5. rk_az

Blog Posts:
    Only one decision...who's toting in the Fireball?

6. UAHiker

Blog Posts:
    that's my problem, no friends who want to go or are reliable enough to go or would i think of asking... lol

7. rk_az

Blog Posts:
    I figured as much, but thought I would throw the idea out there anyway... :)

8. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Guide

Blog Posts:
    I know there are some places that offer shuttle serivse along major trail systems. It might get costly but if you want to do something aside from a loop or an out and back that's one option. Another option is to hitch. I've not personally hitched but I've given a hiker a ride before personally.

I want to start doing more loops in the future. Hopefully longer sections at some point in the future which I'll be looking to solve the same issue.

9. UAHiker

Blog Posts:

so far i've found one with a shuttle that i plan on doing later this year. i'm a fan of the NCT and there's hug sections in MI within a few hours from me so was hoping to do more of the NCT. IN is kinda lacking in loop trails

Bobsdock and Winterhorse like this.
  10. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yeah that's the one part where I'm lucky I have two large national forests within a few hours of me and the longest stretch of the AT in a single state. We have quite a few loops available to hike, but a lot of hiking trails aren't well documented if at all. Funny thing is I still complain about not being close enough to the mountains.

Bobsdock, Winterhorse and UAHiker like this.
  11. bosque bob

bosque bob Scout

Blog Posts:
    Ride boards at the co op or university an option? May require a bit of planning for a return trip but . . .

12. perrymk

perrymk Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I section day hiked the Florida Trail solo. I have a Prodeco folding electric bicycle that fits inside my Chevy Sonic hatchback. I parked at one trail access point, pedaled to another trail access point along roads, then hiked back to my car along the Florida trail. The electric bicycle allowed me to cover 20 miles with the same effort and time as a I would cover 8 miles with a non-electric bicycle. Most of my e-bike shuttles were in the 15-20 mile range with the longest being 28 miles IIRC. I only hired 3 car shuttles during my hike of the Florida Trail (distances too long).

Bobsdock, MJGEGB, Winterhorse and 2 others like this.
  13. rk_az

Blog Posts:
    Someday, self-driving cars may solve the problem. ;)

14. Zaveral

Zaveral Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Hitch hiking! My friends have done hikes and gotten an impromptu ride back. I have even met them at the trail head when i was going out for trail maintenance in the area.

What I have done in the past when there was a section of river I wanted to canoe but instead of doing an up and back paddle, I would stash my canoe in the woods at the put-in and drive my truck to the take out. Then I would ride my bicycle back to the put-in, stash it and retrieve the canoe and paddle down to the truck. I would pickup my bike on the way out. It's a lot of shuffling but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Also I used to make my own bushwhacking loops in the National Forests and Wilderness areas. It makes for good nav practice too!

Each method takes some planning tho.

15. UAHiker

Blog Posts:
    never hitch hiked but why not! I also like creating your own loop!

Bobsdock, Zaveral and Winterhorse like this.