Some axe questions

Discussion in 'Axe Mob' started by Monkeynono, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Monkeynono

Monkeynono Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    So I think I want another axe..... to go with the 6 I already own. I'm looking for maybe a felling axe? I want something heavy and that will work well on hardwoods. I got a soft spot for Plumbs but others would work. Also where is a good place to purchase and what to look for? Lastly where can you buy an octagonal handle?

2. Ptpalpha

Ptpalpha Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Although I've never bought one, if I were hunting for an octagonal handle I'd check Beavertooth and House for starters.
    For a head, I'd post a WTB ad in the blanket, and if that doesn't work start scouring eBay. Personally I'd be looking for a Kelly True Temper Connecticut or Jersey pattern in the 3.5lb range.

Muleman77, A17, Staleym and 4 others like this.
  3. Bucksnort

Bucksnort Scout

Blog Posts:
    If you are dedicated, you can probably find a head like that at an antique mall...it may be your 1st stall, or the 1,000th, and they may want 5 bucks for it, or 80 bucks (with a poor finish/hang on it), but I always enjoyed the search! @Ptpalpha was correct in terms of where to find one, a lot of us here have plenty of heads, you may even find someone locally to purchase/trade! Also, I always suggest house handles (I showed up one day and Chris gave me a tour!), if you want you could even make it octagonal yourself, I have done it both ways. A belt sander is what they use to make it an octagon, and it is possible to do yourself (as well as interesting!)

Enjoy the process!

Muleman77, A17, Staleym and 2 others like this.
  4. BushcrafterAU

BushcrafterAU Master Tracker Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I’d say head to your local markets... you might make a find like I did when I got the Gransförs-Bruks 4 1/2 lb felling axe for $35 AUD! (Like $26 USD, I can’t remember exactly)
    Anyway, finds like that are entirely possible!
    I’m sure a Kelly, Plumb, Hults Bruk, or Gransförs is just waiting for you to come along and give it some TLC!!;)

Ptpalpha, A17, Staleym and 1 other person like this.
  5. Code of The West Survival

Code of The West Survival Tracker

Blog Posts:
    You can find some good Russian axes. Heavy, hard metal, will last for a long time.

Monkeynono and BushcrafterAU like this.
  6. Muleman77

Muleman77 Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Try a council tool Jersey. While not as trendy, they are readily available, good quality and priced better than many vintage heads are going for these days.

Handle options are limited. So use it as it comes, or rehang it on a handle you like.

The octagon would be nice. I've gotten several from House Handle.

The Council Jerseys will chop right with any other axe new or old.
    Heres one I put on a 28" boys axe handle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20180313_130908.jpg

CaptCrunch, batmanacw, A17 and 2 others like this.