Sorting and simplifying my knives

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by plumberoy, Feb 11, 2019.

1. plumberoy

plumberoy Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have been gathering up my knives into one place. I have around 60 last count but always find another one after a count . I figured out I use 6 knives regularly I have six or eight that I would fall back on if one of my primary knives disappeared . I have 6 to 8 sentimental knives and about the same for cooking game processing. Half of the knives I have I don't see using. Some I will bless someone with some. will be trading material some I will sell . Most are decent but budget friendly but there is a K.O.A and a couple Bucks in the group only thing I would like to buy right now is duplicates on the SAK and the Mora a use the most

2. CowboyJesus

CowboyJesus Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    i hear ya. i've been happy with what i have.....but i've been looking around and think my edges are multiplying. (doesn't help that i keep wanting to make something else to try.....) i'm about due to do a family pic of all the knives, and maybe even all the blades total. then i should probably do what you're saying-downsize with trades and gifts.

i think one of the extras is a mora (wanna say a companion?) , if you wanna talk at all...

3. leghog

leghog Scout

Blog Posts:
    I focused my collection of folders over the last couple of years. Gave away most of what was in the collection and refocused. Here's the state of the collection now, all but a few of my folders.

[​IMG]

I'm considering doing the same with my fixed blades. Focus the collection.

4. plumberoy

plumberoy Guide

Blog Posts:
    First I don't know how I ended up with duplicate threads of this maybe a mod can merge them . I don't want a "collection" I want knives that I use, even most of the sentimental knives see some use

5. floogy

floogy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I only have a few knives total. Well, compared to most around here. Probably a couple dozen. Still buying one here and there, but trying to focus more on what I like and works well. I hope to figure that out shortly so I can buy a couple of nicer knives as I get better with my inexpensive ones.

Going to put together a budget knife comparison here soon to share what I’ve learned about my $50 and less knives.

Red Yeti and americanstrat98 like this.
  6. americanstrat98

americanstrat98 Wanderer Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I did the opposite. I picked a small location to store all my knives, and sold or traded anything that I didn't use enough to warrant keeping regardless of sentiment. I might notice they are gone, but my kids won't know the difference. I enjoy not having knives in every corner of my house , shop, and vehicles.

Tom Eickenberg likes this.
  7. fishiker

fishiker Scout

Blog Posts:
    I downsized my folders years ago. I have slowly accumulated more since but not to the level I once had. Looking back there are a couple I wish I had kept but overall it was a positive choice. I know I should do the same thing with my fixed blades but can't bring myself to do it. Congrats on simplifying things!

americanstrat98 likes this.
  8. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've got a pile of knives that I've accumulated over the years but nothing crazy. There are some that I won't sell or give away. I think most of my friends and family know I'm rather picky about well most things but certainly my knives so they gave up on buying them for me. The ones I've picked up for myself have generally evolved over the years. I use a knife and figure out what works and what doesn't. What I use a knife for, and what's acceptable in the majority of the situations I'm in day to day.

This resulted in me going in a completely different direction than I would have guessed a decade ago. It's pretty rare these days that I buy a knife. I've carried the same Victorinox Pioneer for just shy of 5 years and it's by far the longest I've carried a single folder, the best every day knife I've owned, and the least problematic pocket knife I've carried. Getting sick of pocket clips bending, locks acting up, and pivot screws needing adjustment pushed me towards a simple pinned knife and pocket carry.

About 10 years ago I picked up a Mora Classic # 1 to see what all the fuss about the ugly cheap knives was. It was a $10 add on to get free shipping from a site that no longer exists. It became my most used fixed blade and the knife I used for everything in my early years on this site.

These two affordable and humble knives became the standard by which I judge all others. They cost me $36 total and yet I've not seen knives costing 10 times that could replace them. Instead I've taken to trying different things inspired by these two like the stainless convex mod # 1 I just put together. Nice part is they freed up a lot of funds for other gear, gas, and good times. It's nice to have a personal gold standard, certainly beats constantly searching for the next big thing. For folks who are still looking, I find trying things that are tried and true and have stood the test of time is generally a good idea.

salty dog and Red Yeti like this.
  9. plumberoy

plumberoy Guide

Blog Posts:
    The main sentimental knives I have are a bucklite that my late son saved his money and picked out at 10 years old. I will hurt you over that knife my son's cheap Bowie from his time in Royal Ranger's and one of the giant boy scout type knife. A custom shien Dhu from Koyote knives the first knife my daughter bought me . And my late Uncle's Craftsman/Schrade stockman

JasonJ likes this.
  10. JasonJ

JasonJ Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The ones belonging to or having been gifted to or from close family are the ones never to be parted with. Say no more, as a father, a son who's own dad is now gone... I hear and feel ya my friend. Don't let those treasures go.

There are heirlooms of that sort that I have that I too would hurt people over if they dared take them while I still breath.

11. plumberoy

plumberoy Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yep at 10 years old he bought it from his own money and picked out a great knife . We lost him in a car accident in 1997 He was born again so I will see him again