South Carolina

Discussion in 'South Carolina' started by Freedom Forged, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Freedom Forged

Freedom Forged Guide

Blog Posts:
    Anyone else here from South Carolina?

David

2. mahaney

mahaney Guide

Blog Posts:
    Do you have to be "FROM" SC to play or living here? :) I'm in Sumter

J

3. Mister Dark

Mister Dark Scout

Blog Posts:
    Columbia, here. When I am home, that is.

4. Freedom Forged

Freedom Forged Guide

Blog Posts:
    Mister Dark and Mahaney,

Hey guys, I'm in Effingham, which is just outside of Florence. I was just trying to determine who else was on this forum from SC. I was beginning to think I was the only one.

Do you fellas get out in the woods much? Camping etc.? I have to be honest, I mostly camp in the fall and winter although my son (who lives in Hickory NC)and I are trying to get together to go to Mt Mitchell. I'm sure its a lot cooler there than in SC right now.

Good to hear from you guys.

David

5. MackWolf

MackWolf Tracker

Blog Posts:
    SC Dave,
    I am from Sumter SC. As of now I live in WV but hope to get back in a few yrs. I was just down last week in Sumter and Lexington. Where are you from?

Mack

6. MackWolf

MackWolf Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I see you are from Effingham. I camped Mt. Mitchell back in the 80's when I was in the USAF stationed at Shaw AFB. I was born in Sumter and Shaw was my first base. It gets cold on Mt Mitchell at nite. Go Gamecocks!

7. Freedom Forged

Freedom Forged Guide

Blog Posts:
    Good deal. We drove up to Mt Mitchell about 10 yrs ago. We were running the A/C on the way, by the time we got to the top of the mountain we had the heat on. Yes you are right it does get pretty cold up there even in July and August. Hope you make it back home to SC soon. The USC baseball team did a heck of a job this year!

David

8. Mister Dark

Mister Dark Scout

Blog Posts:
    I dont get out as much as I should in the summer months either. I do travel a lot on business, and have my pack with me almost all the time. So every now and then I get lucky and have a chance to light off into a new place. As far as SC, there really isnt too much really fun stuff near Columbia (if you are talking about hikes anyway) but there is a ton of good stuff a little farther north. I hope to spend a couple weeks out later this fall, not too sure where just yet. Was thinking of doing the Pinhoti in Alabama, but there is so much good hiking in Western SC and NC, I may just stay "local".

Wonder how many more SC'ers are here...

9. Amator

Amator Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm just outside of Greenville, SC. I don't get out as much as I'd like, but I am planning a two night weekend trip in the next month or so in addition to our usual fall car camping trip.

10. Freedom Forged

Freedom Forged Guide

Blog Posts:
    Good deal, I just can't stand this heat, humidity and bugs. I love cold weather. My son and I always camp together. We go to Sandhills State Park near McBee some and up to Harper Creek in Pisgah National Forest in NC. I really wish I had land of my own.

11. Freedom Forged

Freedom Forged Guide

Blog Posts:
    Hey Amator, glad you joined us. Glad we're gettin more SC guys! When we go to Sandhills we can park next to our site. But when we go to Pisgah we have to backpack in.

David

12. mahaney

mahaney Guide

Blog Posts:
    There is the Palmetto trail to hike. It runs from Charleston all the way to Tennessee I think. Pretty good for hiking through as there are alot of state parks on the way. I've only hiked about 12 miles or so(I do the same few miles alot because it is close to the house). Sumter national forest is only about an hour from Columbia- towards Spartanburg on I-26 that is awesome for hiking and camping. Thats pretty much all I've found since being stationed at Shaw.

J

J

13. swampossum

swampossum Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm here in the eye-blink town of Grover. Between St. George and Walterboro, about 35miles West of Charleston. Check out Table Rock State Park up in Greenville. Nice car camping plus several day hikes and overnights that connect to the AT.

14. COWBOYSURVIVAL

COWBOYSURVIVAL Guest

Blog Posts:
    Another Dave living in Sumter reporting in!

15. Freedom Forged

Freedom Forged Guide

Blog Posts:
    Lotta folks from Sumter. The SC crowd is growing!

16. woody-in-nc

woody-in-nc Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Dave,

I'm living in Mooresville, NC (but, in Rowan County). I am FROM Florence (WFHS c/o 92). My brother lives out near the end of 3rd Loop. Is that close enough to being FROM SC? I was down this weekend to visit my dad for his b-day. We used to go swimming at Bridge No. 4 (I know you know where that is) and at The Cable in Darlington (everyone over 30 should know where that is/was). We also used to go see a bunch of punk bands play in late 80s/early 90s at the VFW Post 160. So, I know your area pretty good down in Effingburg.

BTW, nice flag. I haven't pulled mine out to hang here in NC.

A few friends and I go kayaking down at Hunting Island (near Fripp Island). We've been trying to get an "adventure club" together to do some trips every other month in various areas.

17. Freedom Forged

Freedom Forged Guide

Blog Posts:
    Glad to have you Woody. Once and SC'er always and SC'er.

18. woody-in-nc

woody-in-nc Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I was hatched at the old McLeod Infirmary in '74. I lived off McIver Road until '78, moved to West Florence and lived there (with the exception of Atlanta for a year) until Summer 2001. Yeah, it's in my blood. It ain't going nowhere!

19. Mister Dark

Mister Dark Scout

Blog Posts:
    You know someone had to say it...

...So, anyone up for a meet up someplace this fall?

20. woody-in-nc

woody-in-nc Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I'm in NC, but, I'm up for meeting up in SC, too. I try to go back to visit my dad every month or every other month. My club will be doing some kind of trip the weekend of August 7, kayaking in either GA or the SC Low Country. In November, we're looking at a goo trip to the NC mountains.

21. COWBOYSURVIVAL

COWBOYSURVIVAL Guest

Blog Posts:
    Somebody PM me if a meet kicks off!

22. Freedom Forged

Freedom Forged Guide

Blog Posts:
    Sometime this Fall sounds good to me.

David

23. Amator

Amator Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yep this fall sounds like a great time for a meetup.

Would Sumter National Forest be a good spot? It's seems more centrally located than in the Upstate or Lowcountry.

24. MackWolf

MackWolf Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I would try to make it.

25. Mister Dark

Mister Dark Scout

Blog Posts:
    Sumter NF would be awesome. I will do some research into camping and trails. So, ya'll want to just have a meet up at a restaurant or something, or plan to meet in the woods, classic "rendezvous" style?

EDIT: The Buncombe trail is a long loop trail in the NF pretty close to I-26. The NF does allow camping anywhere on the trail. I propose, if we do want to do this as a campout, that we pick a distance up the trail, and hike in/hike out. Could be as little as a few hundred feet, or as much as a mile or more.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  26. Amator

Amator Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'm in Fountain Inn which is only a little drive down the highway from Sumter NF so I'm good either way, but some of the men coming from further away might prefer a meet in the woods.

27. Freedom Forged

Freedom Forged Guide

Blog Posts:
    Sounds good to me, never been to SNF. Is there a water source near by the trail?

David

28. Mister Dark

Mister Dark Scout

Blog Posts:
    I havent been there yet to say for sure. Not sure how my schedule will work out, but I will try to run by there on Monday on my way out of town and scout it out.

MD

29. mahaney

mahaney Guide

Blog Posts:
    yes you can

I have camped on the trail a few times. all you have to do is call the ranger office and talk to Alice and tell her when, where, how many people and how long you will stay. However you are supposed to camp 50 ft away from the trail,and you pretty much have to hike in. I know of a really sweet spot where I normally set up camp about 1/2 mile from the road that is fairly easy to get to. There are a lot of water spots all around the parts of the trail I have hiked (right off of 26). If anyone is interested, I am in.

J

edit: there are fairly good topo maps you can pull of the internet. Just google Palmetto trail and I believe it is the Enoree trail map that I normally use. P.M. me if anyone needs more info.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  30. Amator

Amator Scout

Blog Posts:
    That trail sounds good to me, and I'm all for hiking in as long as it's not more than a couple of miles. Of course it all depends on the date chosen.

31. Mister Dark

Mister Dark Scout

Blog Posts:
    I was thinking mid to late september. As much as I like getting out whenever, the last couple of days of 100 degree weather makes me wish dearly for fall. I also should have a few weekends free after sept 10.

BTW, what does everyone think of a saturday rendezvous, and then whoever wants to can stay by the campfire for the night, and leave out on sunday. Sound right?

32. Amator

Amator Scout

Blog Posts:
    That timeframe sounds good to me. Hopefully my wife won't be working weekends by then.

33. Mister Dark

Mister Dark Scout

Blog Posts:
    Oh, btw. Weekdays/nights are just fine by me... Most folks cant get out for a night or two in the middle of the week, but it is actually easier for me during the week. Just sayin'

34. fhm615

fhm615 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I am a Georgia boy but attended College of Charleston and fell in love with the Lowcountry. I marrried a Darlington,SC girl and then we followed the Steel Business from the Nucor Darlington Mill to Texas.:)

35. mahaney

mahaney Guide

Blog Posts:
  36. Mister Dark

Mister Dark Scout

Blog Posts:
    Where on the map is your spot? I will be posting pics in a few minutes of some spots I scouted out , but they are down by the Brickhouse Campground.

37. Mister Dark

Mister Dark Scout

Blog Posts:
    Well, I had a few hours free this morning, so I decided to run up to Sumter NF and scout out a couple of good spots for a fall get together.

The Enoree section of Sumter National Forest is centrally located in SC, just off I-26 about 60 miles north of Columbia. Once you come off the interstate at exit 60, in 10 minutes you are parking at either the campsite or the day hike lot. The Buncombe trailhead was fairly easy to find. Bear in mind that it is a multi-use trail, so motorcycles, atvs. horses, and hikers all share the road so to speak. This was not an issue today (a rather warm monday) and to be honest there weren't very many tracks from bikes or hooves, so it is possible that this isnt a very popular trail. No idea why, and I am sure it is busier in the fall.

A few pics of the trail
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Anyway, on to the trail. I parked in the day parking lot, and headed off. It is mildly hilly, and doubled back and forth a few times, crossed the Forest Svc road, and after a quarter mile or so, passed the Brick House campground. With the exception of one unoccupied tent, the site was completely empty. (Wonder if that will be the case this fall?) The sites are all well situated, have lots of room, and of course a firepit and concrete bench (and nearby his and hers toilets!) This would be acceptable for a first time gathering as far as I am concerned, as the trail is right here, anyone that wants to can go for a hike, and those who are more comfortable "car camping" could still make it out no prob.

The campground
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A quarter mile or so on down the trail (the trail is quite easy here, by the way. Nice and wide, and very little elevation change) I found another suitable spot. Easily accessed from the trail, it is nicely wooded, next to a (mostly dry at this moment) stream, and seems pretty flat and easy to make camp in.

(trail marker near the possible camp location)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The dry creek bed. There was some water, I just dont have that good a filter... Maybe in the fall after it rains a bit.
    [​IMG]

Advantages of this site are 1) it is in the woods a bit, and 2)it would only be a 5-10 minute walk back to a "proper" bathroom, if that was an issue for anyone... :)

The final site I scouted was right at 1 mile from the parking lot. It was a bit more effort to get there, as it is somewhat on the top of the hill. Maybe a 200 foot elevation change, so not a devastating climb, but I noticed it. The site is more rugged, the trees a bit closer, a little tougher to find a flat spot for a big tent, and there didnt seem to be much in the way of streams nearby. Might be an issue, but then again there very well could be a seaonal spring just a few feet away...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any of these would work for me.

EDIT: The second camp site is right about on the mile 13 marker on mahaneys' map. Just FYI

EDIT the 2nd: Here's the closest to a "wildlife" pic I got today:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  38. Amator

Amator Scout

Blog Posts:
    Nice recon work! I'm good with any of those. I'm not in good shape other than round, but I can make it a mile or up a 200ft hill.

39. mahaney

mahaney Guide

Blog Posts:
    I normally camp just south of Duncan creek, right in the bend at the bottom of the hills before it starts to get the incline. If you are looking at the map, it is right before the switch back about 1/4 mile before mile 22 going south. It is a fairly easy hike from Ridge rd. and there is a good bit of temp. difference being at the bottom of the hill and there is a very small creek that runs about 20 yards from the trail with fairly decent water.

J

40. Mister Dark

Mister Dark Scout

Blog Posts:
    Decent water wins, every time. Unless the fall rains bring those creeks near the campsite back up, I would probably prefer your spot. What are the parking options if we go for your camp?

41. mahaney

mahaney Guide

Blog Posts:
    The easiest way is to park on Ridge rd. there is a little pull off area that I think will hold around 4-5 vehicles fairly easily. Trust me, the fall rains is the last thing to worry about, the creek has about a 4ft bank on each side.

J

42. Mister Dark

Mister Dark Scout

Blog Posts:
    Excellent. I think we have a location for our first meet. Now, WHEN?

43. Amator

Amator Scout

Blog Posts:
    I guess it depends on how many of us want to go. If it's just us three or four we can just figure out a weekend or weeknight, but if some of the others who posted earlier in the thread want to go we should probably start a process of elimination.

44. Mister Dark

Mister Dark Scout

Blog Posts:
    I will PM everyone who has posted, lets see what we get.

45. Bernie Garland

Bernie Garland Scout

Blog Posts:
  46. mahaney

mahaney Guide

Blog Posts:
    I cant guarantee anything right now. We just found out my wife is on the forced re-train list for her job, so not knowing how much longer will be here, I dont want to make a promise I cant keep. However, I will try my damndest to make it!!

J

P.S. If anyone has any questions about the Palmetto trail, I'd be more than happy to help out where I can.

47. mahaney

mahaney Guide

Blog Posts:
  48. Mister Dark

Mister Dark Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thinkin of hiking part of the Palmetto this coming Jan. I still have a bunch of the Pinhoti in AL I want to finish up first though. If it ever cools down that is.

49. Mister Dark

Mister Dark Scout

Blog Posts:
    He even has a reb flag in his backyard! I like that fella.

50. mahaney

mahaney Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thats what I'm sayin!! I want to party with this guy (and he makes awesome knives)