Spices That Can Serve Multiple Purposes

Discussion in 'Cooking & Water Purification' started by VA Mtns, Mar 3, 2015.

1. VA Mtns

VA Mtns Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I hope I am putting this in the correct place. I have been in the woods all of my life but now I am trying to get more serious about what I carry and my skills. I am not a young guy any more so if I am going to carry something I like it to serve more then one purpose. I am working on setting up my kit and I wanted to work on my mess kit. I know certain spices are good for seasoning food but can also have medicinal uses. I am not real knowledgeable in this subject so I figured I would go to the people who are. I would appreciate a list of spices/oils that I can carry and what medicinal use they can serve. I was going to pack up my spices and when I label the containers I wanted to include their medicinal uses and suggested dosages. I am basing my starter mess kit around a 1 liter MSR Stowaway pot but I am also flexible. I will also pass this information onto my 17 year old son who all of a sudden wants to learn bushcraft and yes I am so pumped that he wants to learn the old ways.

While I have you guys I would appreciate any recommendations or suggestions that could improve my mess kit. The Marines taught me one is none and two are one so I am also putting extra stuff in my mess kit like lighters, knives, cordage and such. Thanks ahead of time for your help

DCPugh, Bobsdock, bacpacjac and 3 others like this.
  2. central joe

central joe Wait For Me!! Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Black pepper, good for cloting blood, also salt. just a start. joe

DCPugh, Bobsdock, bacpacjac and 2 others like this.
  3. forcemultiplyr

forcemultiplyr Sheppard

Blog Posts:
    Cayenne pepper will constrict arteries veins and blood vessels and enhance clotting in sever wounds, if available (although not a spice) pour honey over the cayenne and will work almost as well as quick clot in certain circumstances.

DCPugh, sea6ear, Bobsdock and 4 others like this.
  4. VA Mtns

VA Mtns Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The honey could serve as a sweetener. I have used it for sore throats and have friends who use it on burns.

bacpacjac and Sidthetracker like this.
  5. Medicine maker

Medicine maker Guide

Blog Posts:
    Cinammon is good for sore throats, mouth issues in general as a gargle, stomach aches, an anticoagulant, and helps break down mucus.

PLus gronulated garlic helps with womens monthly issues, is an immune booster and also help with breathing issues like weezing.

Bobsdock, bacpacjac and Sidthetracker like this.
  6. Bruce_A

Bruce_A Guide

Blog Posts:
    Garlic and garlic powder contains vitamin B6 which is good for the immune system and helps regulate blood sugar. Fresh garlic is a natural antibiotic, plus it wards off vampires. :)

7. Harper

Harper Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    +1 on this. There may be a burning sensation but the cayenne won't be doing damage, it will actually be helping. It will also help to sterilize a wound.

But this only a part of the story. What's not typically known is that cayenne is a "smart" herb. Outside of the body, it will prevent bleeding. But on the inside, it will promote blood flow. It can be used to help many things including high blood pressure, asthma, strep throat and ulcers. But taking it on an empty stomach is tough.

Two additional bushcrafty uses include stopping a heart attack and nasal congestion.

If you are out in the field away from immediate help and you think that you are having a heart attack, after calling/radioing for help, you can use a teaspoon full of cayenne in a cup of (preferably hot) water. Herbalists have said that they never lost a patient from a heart attack as long as they were able to get cayenne into them in time. I've even heard of herbalists just pouring tobasco sauce straight out of the bottle and saving people who were having heart attacks in restaurants. Here is a quote about the famed herbalist, Dr. Christopher:

" Early in Dr. Christopher's practice, he was called in the middle of the night by a woman whose husband had just passed out from a heart attack. The Doctor told the woman to heat some water, and he arrived at the house and mixed a teaspoon of Cayenne into the water, propped up the man, and gave him just a little. When he came to, he finished the cup, and within a few minutes felt much stronger. Soon he was well, and became converted to the use of herbs, even buying and running one of the health food stores in Salt Lake City for many years."

This quote comes from the website http://www.herballegacy.com/http://www.herballegacy.com/:

"Heart Attack: Prop up the patient and pour hot cayenne tea down, ( use a teaspoonful of cayenne in a cup of hot water), and have the patient drink the full cup. and the attack will stop immediately. We have been called in the middle of the night so many times. A teaspoon of cayenne should bring the patient out of the heart attack. In case cayenne is not around and you have a heart attack, the dosage on black pepper can be tripled and used. "

If you have a clogged nose, instead of using a Vicks inhalator, just take one grain--and I do mean one grain--and use it as a snuff. Make sure you have a handkerchief nearby.

Cayenne is a marvelous herb and should be in everybody's kit--the hotter the better. You should also know how to use it.

I've studied herbalism--including courses from Dr. Christopher's school-- and have used it to great effect in my own life as well as those around me for quite a number of years. As an herbalist, I can't diagnose, prescribe, treat, cure, etc. --but I can educate. I have been thinking about posting more information on herbalism and nutrition here for some time now.

If you are interested, just click the "thanks" button and if there is a sufficient response, I'll start posting when time allows.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  8. VinoNoir

VinoNoir Guide

Blog Posts:
    Please please please, post more. I am interested in this subject to no end. My mother was a naturalist and we had herbs in the house all the time. If I can use something natural for a remedy, or to treat an ailment, over a synthetic substance, I will every time.

One for the thread:

fresh peppermint leaves leaves not only freshen your breath and help to combat thirst, but also have the added benefit of settling an upset stomach (It works best when made as a tea).

I would assume that dried mint would also work just as well.

9. bud1

bud1 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Please post more

Beach Hiker and bacpacjac like this.
  10. Walking Crow

Walking Crow Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Looking forward to more from Harper.
    Ginger is good for nausea (including motion sickness) Talking commercial ginger, not our native wild ginger which is supposed to have some issues.
    Ginger can be used with garlic to offset the gastric upset some folks get from too much garlic.
    Some say ginger can relieve hives and some itching but I have no first hand experience with that.

11. AlMorris

AlMorris Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Tumeric, antioxidant, anti inflammatory, can used on skin for wounds, also helps with stomachaches and improving digestion.

bacpacjac and Doubles like this.
  12. Prophet68

Prophet68 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Garlic juice or powder can sterilize a wound, reduce high blood pressure, kill gangrene. A clove peeled and chewed will kill strep throat, and ward off amorous suitors. Holy basil, similar to sweet basil, makes a good antiseptic and spice. White sugar, applied directly to a wound, will sterilize it. Cayenne will stop nose bleeds when a pinch is put under the tongue. Ginger tea will sooth an upset stomach, and a cup every day will heal stomach ulcers. Honey poured in a wound will sterilize it. Onion helps boost the immune system, boiled and the juice drank, will help fight colds. Common flour will help clot bleeding. I know there are more, but I'm drawing a blank all the sudden.....

13. TomNickell

TomNickell Scout

Blog Posts:
    +1 there. Years ago I spent part of a summer on a gillnet tug (Big Bertha) on Lake Erie. Commercial ginger capsules did help with nausea and motion sickness.

Bobsdock and bacpacjac like this.
  14. UAHiker

UAHiker Guide

Blog Posts:
    not sure this counts but parsley helps with constipation it's a natural diuretic

15. ewok cargo cult

ewok cargo cult Tracker

Blog Posts:
    On cayenne: I once cut a nice, clean, relatively large slice off the pad of my index finger. There was heavy (but non life-threatening) bleeding that wouldn't stop. I Had heard of the purported benefits of cayenne, and despite my generally skeptical nature, I was becoming somewhat desperate. With my intact hand, I quickly googled for confirmation of the particulars. Everything seemed to be in order, so I proceeded to dump a bunch of cayenne into the wound. I experienced blinding pain, and heavy, spicy bleeding that wouldn't stop. It probably would have been more pleasant and effective just to use burning gunpowder. Later research indicated that, according to some sources, what clotting power cayenne possesses can largely be attributed to its cellulose content. Which makes sense, because I also tried cellulose clotting dressings at the time and other than not holding together as well and feeling like a bunch of scorpions, cayenne behaved similarly, and was similarly ineffective. It's a sample size of one, but I don't think the stuff works any better than sawdust if you've sprung a leak bad enough to actually need it. Sawdust soaked in pepperspray.

16. VA Mtns

VA Mtns Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Great information guys. On the internal uses like the ginger, turmeric, and garlic what does do you recommend and how do you suggest ingesting? Do you just eat or do you make a tea like Harper suggested?

17. GentlemanHomestead

GentlemanHomestead Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Do MRE hot sauces count? ;)

18. Coryphene

Coryphene Guide

Blog Posts:
    Basil is a great metabolism booster that can get the body warmed up quick in the morning and a spoonful of pesto will ward off those "morning chills" that happen when you are still coming out of that sleepy state and the morning air feels unusually cold.

19. Coryphene

Coryphene Guide

Blog Posts:
    Chewing up some acorns or oak inner bark applied to a wound can help with getting blood to clot. (all the tannins just like a teabag does) Doing the same thing can help with bee stings to draw out the stinger and pucker the sting that helps stop the stinging.

20. hotelZulu

hotelZulu Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've been researching cinnamon recently, perfect timing for this thread. Potential health benefits include:

anti-inflammatory,
    anti-fungal,

reduced risk of heart disease,
    lower blood sugar levels and anti-diabetic effects,
    contains antioxidants,
    increased sensitivity to insulin,
    and a few more.

I've personally used it for anti-fungal applications in the soil of my indoor plants. Ceylon cinnamon seems to have more of the active beneficial chemicals as opposed to the cassia cinnamon which is the more common stuff found in grocery stores.

Medicine maker likes this.
  21. Harper

Blog Posts:
    More on Cayenne

The following information is presented for educational purposes. It is not meant to diagnose, prescribe, treat, heal, cure, etc. Consult a physician for medical problems.
    It's a damn shame I feel it necessary to even say this.

Putting Cayenne on wounds will likely produce a burning sensation. A previous poster said that he didn't think it any more effective than "sawdust soaked in pepperspray." I don't know what to say. I mean, I don't doubt his word but Cayenne is a well known antihemorrhagic and antiseptic. The following is from The School of Natural Healing's 100 Herb Syllabus:

"In that same year, Dr. Christopher treated four other gunshot victims, and each ease responded the same, although sometimes the blood coagulates and comes out in clumps before it stops completely. By the time you count to ten, however, the heavy bleeding should stop completely after administering Cayenne. The Doctor even used tincture of Cayenne on open wounds and, as he put it, “There may be a bit of muttering about it,” referring to the burning feeling of the Cayenne, but the bleeding stops."

Here are some other uses for Cayenne:

1) Put the tincture or some Cayenne in oil onto cotton and apply it to a toothache. I prefer to use Clove Oil. In the field, I will likely use Oregano Oil (diluted) since I would have it with me. I'll discuss a protocol for a toothache at a later time.

2) As a gargle for a sore throat. I'll discuss how to use it in conjunction with honey and garlic for a sore throat and even strep at a later time.

3) Sprinkle a little of the powder into your socks at night if you suffer from cold feet.

4) Mixed with Ginger, it can be used as an expectorant for the sinuses and bronchial tubes. I'd likely use Oregano Oil (diluted) instead. I will discuss the wonderful properties of that oil in the future.

5) Arthritis, sprains and aches. Mix the powder with a little water to make a paste and apply. Mix with Olive Oil to make a liniment (Apple Cider Vinegar is better for this purpose) for use over larger muscles.

6) To stop a bad nosebleed. Moisten a piece of cotton with water and dip into the powder. Insert into the nose.

7) Shock. A dropperful of the tincture under the tongue works best. But drops of the tea under the tongue would likely work--just not as well.

8) Hypothermia. A droperful off the tincture under the tongue works best. But drops of the tea under the tongue would likely work--just not as well. Remember, it is important to warm the body core up first before the extremeties.

9) Frostbite. Do not rub damaged areas. Be very careful when dealing with the feet. You can walk on frozen feet for a long time. But, once defrosted, you are going to have to stay where you are until evacuated. You can't walk on them at that point or you will cause even more extensive damage than the original frostbite. So this should only be used at a base camp or cabin while you wait for evacuation after following the normal frostbite protocols. Make a Soak from 2 tbsp. Cayenne and 1 tbsp. Ginger to 2 gal. of warm water. Pat dry carefully. Do not rub.

10) Drink the tea at the start of a cold or fever.

11) Fatigue. The tincture or tea can be used.

12) Poor circulation/ cold hands and feet. The tincture or tea can be used.

To me, the most important reason to carry Cayenne is for dealing with heart attacks as I stated in my original post. Once you call for help, there is not a lot that can be done while waiting for evacuation. Cayenne will provide that help. But you have to bring it with you. You are not going to find it in the wild. Here is another quote from the above referenced source:

"To show what a miracle worker Cayenne really is, Dr. Christopher related the experiment performed by medical doctors in the eastern United States—and printed in the medical journals. They put some live heart tissue in a beaker filled with distilled water, and fed it nothing but Cayenne pepper, cleaning off sediments periodically and adding nothing else but distilled water to replace that which was lost from evaporation. During the experiment, they would have to trim the tissue every few days, because it would grow so rapidly! Having no control glands (pituitary and pineal), the tissue just continued to grow rapidly. They kept this tissue alive for fifteen years. After the doctor doing the experiment died, his associates kept it alive for two more years before destroying it for analysis. This shows the tremendous regenerative and healing power of Cayenne, especially upon the heart."

I carry Cayenne in both the powdered form and the tincture form. A tincture consists of an herb prepared in an alcohol or glycerin base. It is very concentrated. It is usually in a glass bottle with a dropper. It should be carried in a zip lock bag inside of crush proof tin with some bubble wrap--you don't want to get this stuff on your pack.

Putting a dropperful of the tincture under the tongue (sublingually) is the fastest way of getting it into the circulatory system. It kind of bypasses the digestive tract and is absorbed directly into the circulatory system.

Also, be careful that you clean this stuff off your hands after handling it. If you don't, and then you rub your eyes or go to the bathroom, you will be very sorry. There won't be any damage, but you will know it!

Here is some more, rather in-depth information on Cayenne:

http://www.herballegacy.com/Cayenne_Herb.html

http://www.herballegacy.com/Cayenne_History.html

You can also put Cayenne on chicken.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  22. Harper

Blog Posts:
    You can also use Cinnamon on wounds to stop bleeding and help sterilize them similar to Cayenne. I don't think it will be as effective, but if its what you have on hand in an emergency situation, use it.

Its good to carry in a spice kit.

I like it on my oatmeal.

This information is presented for educational purposes. It is not meant to diagnose, prescribe, treat, heal, cure, etc. Consult a physician for medical problems.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
    Sidthetracker likes this.
  23. Harper

Blog Posts:
    Celtic Sea Salt

This information is presented for educational purposes. It is not meant to diagnose, prescribe, treat, heal, cure, etc. Consult a physician for medical problems.

http://www.amazon.com/Celtic-Sea-Salt-Ground-Ounce/dp/B009NT3JD4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1426443010&sr=8-4&keywords=celtic+sea+salt+fine+ground

I think this is something everybody should have in their Spice Kit. This is the brand of salt I use at home. There are many reasons that I chose this particular brand and I shall discuss some of them.

To begin with, it tastes good. I found that you don't need to use as much for good flavor either.

As a sea salt, it contains some 82 trace minerals/elements which are essential for proper body function. At the most basic level, these trace elements come from "rocks." I have heard them described as being "batteries" for our bodies. I think that is a pretty good description of trace elements. Celtic Sea Salt is gray because all of these minerals are still in it. Regular table salt is highly refined and is almost entirely sodium chloride with just a little bit of iodine added back in--they take out all the rest of those trace elements which the body requires--you know, the good stuff. Modern mono crop agriculture depletes the soil and usually uses fertilizer with just N-P-K. This means that we are not getting these vital trace minerals from our foods either. We are a mineral deprived society.

Not all sea salts are the same. They may come from the sea, but many are gathered by machinery and are highly refined. These minerals we are talking about are often removed and sold separately. High heat is often used in the processing which can change the molecular structure. Chemicals are also often added to bleach, prevent caking, etc.

In Celtic Sea Salt, nothing is added or removed. Its harvested by hand. They dry it at low heat. It comes from France and has been done this way for a couple thousand years.

The source of the water is important. Many salts come from the Pacific. What many people fail to realize is that Fukishima has been polluting the waters of the Pacific and the air for the last four years. It was never "fixed." It has been going 24/7/365 for four years. Since governments can't control the situation, they decided to control the media instead. That's why don't hear about it. But it hasn't stopped. This is an article that came out last week regarding fish caught off of the West Coast of the U.S.: http://investmentwatchblog.com/fukushima-fallout-detected-in-u-s-fish-dose-equal-to-samples-caught-100-miles-from-plant-persistently-high-levels-detected-in-marine-life-offshore-not-anticipated/

It is claimed that, with moderate use, Celtic Sea salt will NOT promote water retention, bloating or hypertension. I have found that to be true with my own body and those that I know who have used it.

When in its whole form (i.e.-with trace elements), Salt:

1. Regulates heartbeat and blood pressure.
    2. Eliminates mucus buildup.
    3. Improves brain function.
    4. Balances blood sugars.
    5. Alkalizes the body.
    6. Increases energy.
    7. Provides electrolyte balance.
    8. Builds immunity.
    9. Promotes restful sleep.
    10. Prevents muscle cramps.
    11. Is a natural antihistamine.
    12. Is important for strong bones and to prevent osteoporosis.
    13. Helps prevents drool at night.
    14. Is vital for the absorption of nutrients from food in the intestines.

For more in-depth information, you can visit these two websites which also acted (in part) as source material:

www.waterbenefitshealth.com/celtic-sea-salt.html

http://www.jeffreywarber.com/hc%20pages/salt.html

In my next post, I will describe some ways you can use Celtic Sea Salt both as a field expedient and at home. Other than just putting it on your food that is!

24. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Tobacco has some uses. One is as a bug repellant (whether you inhale it or not, but don't soak it & use the water- it'll be like an all-over nicotine patch & might kill you). Another is for getting rid of parasites (sprinkling a cigarette or a a cigarette & a half in your food & repeating it 48 hours later if needed). It can be used to stop bleeding & infection, be put in a cracked tooth for the pain, and it seems put on a burn for the pain & infection. It might work better to use the liquid from it being soaked for some of those (like the burn). The filter can be used in a puncture or for a bloody nose, similar to a tampon.

You can carry these herbs in Tic-Tac boxes, I was suprised to see. Makes it easier to pour & you could always tape a loop onto the one with the cayenne pepper- that way you can get it quick & you've got some duct tape for makeshift stitches & holding bandages on (sometimes both). Plus, you can use it for patching up your clothes & put it on a sore spot to keep a blister from forming.

25. Harper

Blog Posts:
    Celtic Sea Salt--Bushcraft Uses

Here are some bushcraft-related uses of salt:

1. Bee sting--wet the area put dry salt on until it sticks.

2. Gargle--for a sore throat or to clean mouth. 1/2 tsp. to one cup of warm water.

3. Toothpaste--moisten bristles and dip in salt. It would be better if it was cut with baking soda. This method should not be used on a regular basis since salt is abrasive and may damage tooth enamel over time. Also, it is better if you bring a toothbrush with you. Why risk getting splinters in your gums or knocking out fillings with a chewed stick?

4. Makes water boil at a higher temperature=less wood.

5. Add a pinch to overcooked coffee to reduce bitterness.

6. Put some on hands and wash them like it was soap to get off the smell of raw onion.

7. As a "soap" to clean skin. You can also mix with olive oil and use it to wash. The salt gets the dirt off and the oil kind of collects it. Scrape off the oil with a stick or wash off with a cloth. The excess olive oil is very good for the skin and will be absorbed through it.

8. Cleaning pots. Especially greasy pots. Its also very good for cast iron.

9. Treating poison ivy. It won't completely eliminate it right away, but it will help with the irritation and speed up healing time. Soak effected area in salt water.

10. Tired feet. Soak aching feet in warm water to which a handful of salt has been added. Rinse with cool water.

11. Cleaning dried-on egg. Sprinkle salt on dishes right after breakfast. It makes them easier to clean when you have time.

12. Cleaning brass - Mix equal parts of salt, flour and vinegar to make a paste, rub the paste on the brass item, leave on for an hour or so, then clean with a soft cloth or brush and buff with a dry cloth.

13. Removing perspiration stains. Add 4 Tbl. of salt to 1 qt. of hot water and sponge the fabric with the solution until stains disappear.

14. To induce vomiting (emetic). This should only be done in emergency situations as a field expedient when help won't get there in time. Dissolve 2 Tbl. of salt in warm water. Drink. Following by drinking a few cups of regular (i.e.-unsalted) water. After vomiting, sip cool water to soothe the throat and stomach.

Here is a pretty good reference on how to do this: http://www.buzzle.com
    /articles/using-salt-water-to-induce-vomiting.html

Salt can also be used on dogs to make them puke if they eat something poisonous. Here is link on how to do it: http://www.ehow.com/how_6755682_induce-vomiting-dogs-salt.html

Vomiting can be used in conjunction with charcoal in cases of accidental poisoning, overdose, etc. Let me emphasize once again that this is a field expedient to be used in emergency situations where help is too far away. If you have the ability, call the Poison Control Center immediately. Time is critical in these types of situations.

Mix 2 Tbl. of charcoal with a little water to make a slurry (think shot glass). Then chug it. Double if the person has eaten in the previous two hours. The charcoal will act as a "sponge" and absorb the toxins. If the person vomits immediately, give another dose. This process can be repeated.* Otherwise, allow some time to pass and then use the salt water solution to induce vomiting. This gets the absorbed toxins out of the body. Give cool water to sooth, as above.

Note that this should be clean, black (or even better, activated) charcoal--not ash. Neveruse briquettes or obtain from treated woods.

*Reference: Thrash & Thrash, Rx: Charcoal, New Lifestyle Books, 1988, pg. 34.
    http://www.amazon.com/RX-Charcoal-Calvin-Thrash-Agatha/dp/0942658094/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427052146&sr=8-1&keywords=rx+charcoal

15. For Dehydration. For our purposes we will assume that this occurs from:

a) Exposure;
    b) Prolonged, extreme sweating from exertion; and/or,
    c) Diarrhea.

Obviously, prevention is the best solution. Generally speaking, by the time you are thirsty, you are usually dehydrated. A lot of people don't realize that this doesn't just occur hot weather. It can occur in cold weather and while swimming too. Urine is a good indicator as to whether or not you are dehydrated. Anything darker than a pale yellow-clear color means you need more hydration. If you are taking B vitamins, the color may appear as a brighter yellow.

Here is a Rehydration Drink based on the World Health Organization’s recommendations:

1/8 tsp. Celtic Sea Salt (or similar)
    2-3 Tbl. Honey
    8 oz. water

It is important that you use a salt with the minerals still in it for this use. Table salt or highly processed Sea Salt just won't cut it. They may help, but its nothing like the real stuff. Your body will be craving these minerals. The salt should be colored (usually greyish)--not white. If all you have is salt, use it. Honey is sometimes carried by Bushcrafters for other uses --that's why I chose it. If you don't have honey, sugar will work. If all you have is the Celtic Sea Salt, then use it alone. It will still far better than just plain water.

Some other non-Bushcraft uses for salt can be found here: http://www.saltworks.us/salt_info/salt-uses-and-tips.asp

Table salt can be used for most of these uses. But Celtic Sea Salt (or similar) should be used for a Rehydration Drink.

26. AlMorris

AlMorris Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    You can get them fresh from some Grocery stores but their both easier to find in spice form. I work at an organic grocery store for a living and most applications for promoting health containing garlic, ginger or turmeric were in drink form. The beauty with either of these 3 spices in my opinion is you don't need very much for it to be effective, like less than 1/4 teaspoon. It would probably be easiest to dissolve in a tea and also the quickest way to ingest it, but all three can be added to just about any food to give it some extra flavor.

27. Harper

Blog Posts:
    Celtic Sea Salt--Another Good Use

There is one more very good use for Sea Salt that I forgot to mention:

16. For use in a neti pot. Table salt should not be used for this purpose. This is not really for field use, but you could probably rig one up using a pot with a spout, drinking straw and duct tape. It would be messy though. Make sure warm, purified water is used. Boil the water and allow to cool. In the field, it is essential that the water is boiled first. The temperature should be comfortable to the skin prior to use. Add 1/4 tsp. Sea (or Kosher) Salt to 8 oz. of warm, purified water. It is best to use distilled water if available.

For those of you not familiar with a neti pot, it is a cross between a tea pot and a flower watering pot. Its an old Indian Ayurvedic technique for nasal irrigation. If anybody is suffering from chronic sinus problems, you should absolutely check into this technique. It really works and it may literally change your life without the use of medications. I don't believe that this thread is the proper place to go into it further. If I start a thread in the future, I'll probably put it there.

28. Harper

Blog Posts:
    Olive Oil Part- -1 of 2

I'd like to discuss Olive Oil. I'll touch a little on the culinary aspects but I want to focus on the nutrimedical and bushcrafty uses of the oil.

Olive Oil has been used by man for over 5,000 years. Olives seem to have originated in the area around the Holy Land and Turkey. It was then spread around the Mediterranean through Greek colonization. Here is a pretty good link for those interested in history: http://www.explorecrete.com/nature/olive-oil-history.html

Olive oil is full of monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFAs). These lower cholesterol, improve clotting of the blood, regulate insulin, are anti-inflammatory, full of natural antioxidants, and are a great source of Vitamin E as well as Beta Carotene. Olive oil has been shown to improve bone health, brain function, and digestive health. According to the herbalist, Dr. John Christopher, "Olive oil is a complete food itself and ill penetrate into the body to feed and rebuild muscles, flesh and the entire system." Allergic reactions known to be associated with Olive Oil are extremely rare. This is why it is used as a base in so many health and skin products.

Like dairy products, there is a grading system associated with Olive Oil. With dairy products, cream is at the top the scale and it goes down to skim milk. With Olive Oil, the Extra Virgin grade is analogous to cream. It is often abbreviated as EVO or EVOO. In Roman times, the lowest grade of olive oil was used to fuel the street lights of Constantinople/Byzantium. Olive Oil is produced in many different countries and flavors vary depending on soil conditions and weather. For those who prefer a lighter oil, try some of the Greek EVO such as: http://athenaoil.com/ which can be found in (some) food stores.

The storage life of Olive Oil is longer than most vegetable oils. It usually can be stored for a minimum of two years (if done correctly). Here is some more information on storage: http://elaioladiki.gr/en/olive_oil_storage.htm

I recommend that you both use Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVO) at home and carry it in the field. This grade is defined as the first press of first grade olives. It just tastes better. I recommend that you keep it in a stainless steel flask for field usage. In turn, the flask itself should be kept in a Zip Loc bag for extra insurance.

For cooking purposes, EVO is really meant for low-mid heat. If the pan is smoking, its too hot. The high heat affects the chemistry of the oil. It turns a relatively healthy oil into a not so healthy oil. Personally, I typically use just the amount necessary so the food doesn't stick. I put the rest of the EVO on after removing the food from the heat source. The heat from the food warms the oil and releases its flavor. In my opinion, it tastes best this way. Sprinkle a little Celtic Sea Salt on it and your set! I follow the same procedure when using many dried herbs and spices for culinary purposes. Extra Virgin Coconut Oil is a very healthy oil that can be used for cooking at higher temperatures.

As an aside, I would like to bring to your attention the television show A Taste of History with Chef Walter Staib. It is found on PBS channels. Chef Staib recreates meals eaten in Colonial America. He uses Dutch ovens, brick ovens and open flame. It's right up a bushcrafter's alley. Link: http://www.atasteofhistory.org/

29. Chazzle

Chazzle Idiot Savant Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I asked a chef once what was the most versatile spice used in cooking, and he told me simply, "salt and pepper".

30. Naitive Nathan

Naitive Nathan Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Garlic,
    1. Goes nice with rabbit
    2. Goes even better with Squirrel
    3. or better yet with pasta bolognaise
    4. and my personal favourite chips.... (Fries to my American Brothers)

Just Kidding, although the above is true, it can also be used as a Dewormer, it has antimicrobial properties and antiseptic properties similar to Plantain (Plantago lanceolata).

31. Harper

Blog Posts:
  32. NorthExplorer

NorthExplorer Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Black pepper for everything, ftw!! Lemon/Garlic pepper is delicious with wild edibles and fish over open fire too.

W.

33. Harper

Blog Posts:
    Olive Oill--Part 2 of 2

The following information is presented for educational purposes. It is not meant to diagnose, prescribe, treat, heal, cure, etc. Consult a physician for medical problems.

Here are some Bushcrafty uses for Olive Oil aside from basic cooking:

1. As a substitute for butter in cakes, muffins, etc.

2. Emergency fuel for starting a fire, use in a stove or makeshift lamp. If you need surefire, you can also cut down your staff to provide dry fuel and then pour the OO over it to get a fire started in wet conditions .

3. To oil your tools and leather. This is especially important for those knives you use for food prep. You wouldn't want to eat engine oil, right? You can also use something like Obenauf's (which they say is edible) for oiling a food prep knife and sheath.

4. To shave with. Olive Oil is great for the skin. The excess will be absorbed through the skin.

5. In place of soap. Put OO on and scrape it off with a stick or rub with a cloth.

6. In a base camp or cabin scenario, it can be used as a shampoo to rid the hair of lice.

7. As a Base or Carrier oil. Next to cooking, this is where I tend to use OO the most. It cuts essential oils to dilute them for use. This is especially important for Oregano Oil which I will discuss in the future. The same holds true for essential oils for use in massage. Other oils like sesame, almond, etc., can also be used but Olive Oil is the most common.

8. For arthritis and stiff muscles. Add a pinch of Cayenne and it is even more effective. The OO holds the Cayenne in place and the Cayenne promotes blood flow to the area in question. The increased blood flow brings warmth to the area as well as oxygen. The oxygen breaks up the lactic acid build-up and the blood flow transports it away. Olive Oil combined with Cayenne should not be used in this manner for sprains or bruises.

9. As emergency nutrition for people who, for whatever reason, are unable to eat or hold anything down. I can see this being used for babies and with people who are frail. Olive Oil has been described as a "full food." By anointing the skin, nutrition can bypass the digestive system all together. It can be absorbed directly through the skin and into the blood providing needed calories and nutrition. Two of the best places to anoint in this matter are the navel (the Chinese have been doing this for a couple of thousand years) and the soles of the feet.

10. For constipation. OO contains fat which increases the speed of evacuation, is a natural stool softener, protects the mucus lining of the colon and stimulates the gallbladder which helps in the digestion of fats. You can take a Tablespoon in the morning and evening on an empty stomach. Here is a pretty good source for more information on this: http://homeremediesforlife.com/olive-oil-for-constipation/

11. For an Earache. Use 2-3 drops in the ear and plug with cotton to loosen wax. This can be done 3-4 times a day. Heat the dropper under warm water for a minute or so, test a drop on your wrist to make sure it is not too hot, then apply. I would use garlic infused OO if available--this will kill infection. Diluted Oregano Oil is also very good for fighting infection and relieving pain. If available, Mullein infused OO is particularly effective for loosening wax. The last time I had an earache, I put a couple of drops of Garlic Oil and Mullein Oil in together. It worked like a charm. You will also want to avoid mucus producing foods --like dairy--which effect the sinuses and often lead to drainage problems in the ear.

12. For minor burns and sunburn. After 5-10 minutes initial cooling of the burn with cold water, icepack, etc., you can apply OO. It will soothe the burn, prevent infection and promote healing of the skin.

13. To reduce bruises and to retard swelling. Rub OO on the area immediately after injury. No Cayenne!

14. To reduce snoring/tickle in the throat and sore throats. A sip of OO will lubricate the throat muscles.

15. For stings. Apply to the area immediately after cleaning to retard swelling, reduce itching and promote healing. It is especially good for this purpose if used in conjunction with or infused with with Plantain leaf.

16. Oil Pulling. This is an old Indian Ayurvedic technique. It is used for oral hygiene and cleansing. For Bushcraft purposes, it can be used as a field expedient for dealing with a toothache. Essentially, it is not a cavity which causes pain. It is the microbes /bacteria which fill the cavity that cause infection and the resulting pain. Saliva is water based. The outside of these microbes are fat based. Oil (fat) and water don't mix. If you have pain, the infection fighting capability of the saliva has been overwhelmed. But the fatty exterior of the microbes will bond with other fats (like-to-like). Take about 1-2 Tablespoons of OO and swish it around in your mouth--especially in the area of the tooth which is bothering you. Do this for about 15 minutes and then spit it out (not down the sink). If you have to spit it out earlier, that is okay; just take more OO and continue for the remaining time. If done in this fashion, the microbes/bacteria will have bonded with the oil and be eliminated from your body--reducing the pain. I have personally used this as part of an emergency dental protocol over a long holiday weekend to great effect. You'll still have to see a Dentist when you get back , but this will give you the time you need to do that as well as preventing things from getting worse. I will discuss more on this emergency dental protocol that I used in the future.

Here are some pretty good links with additional information and non-Bushcrafty type uses of Olive Oil:

http://purehealthyoil.com/recipe/1001-ways-to-use-olive-oil-medical-remedies/

http://ecosalon.com/20-unusual-uses-tips-for-olive-oil-395/

Happy Easter/Resurrection Sunday.
    He has risen!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
    dogstar likes this.
  34. urbanm86

urbanm86 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    If you can will you do avocado oil please :)

35. Corvin117

Corvin117 Scout Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Awesome thread!

36. Grey Falcon

Grey Falcon Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thank you for starting this thread. So much good info here.

37. Harper

Blog Posts:
    Avocado Oil

I"ll be glad to tell you what I know about it.

Avocado Oil is another outstanding oil. It is a monounsaturated fat--the kind you want. Most of the uses I described for Extra Virgin Olive Oil (above) can be used in the same exact way and for the same exact purposes just by substituting EVO with Avocado Oil.

One of the important things to remember is to get Cold Pressed, Extra-Virgin Avocado Oil --just like with Olive Oil. Heat will destroy many of the beneficial properties that the fruit has. The fruit itself contains about 30% oil. Avocados are high in vitamins: A, B, C, E, unsaturated fats, minerals, beta-sitisterol, contain more protein than almost any other fruit, and have more potassium than a banana. They are also low in sodium. Avocado is also a slow-burning food, so it provides you with the energy you need throughout the day. It also makes a good base for homemade Mayo and salad dressings.

There is evidence that the Aztecs have been using Avocados for healing purposes going back to 291 B.C. Avocado Oil has a lot of vitamin E and is an excellent anti-inflammatory. It is very good for aiding nutrient absorption, normalizing blood pressure, skin problems (even better than EVO), arthritis, improving cholesterol, preventing kidney stones, etc. Here is a pretty good source for more on its health benefits: http://www.holistic-medicine-works.com/avocado-nutrition.html.

For Bushcraft purposes, one of the main advantages of Avocado Oil over EVO is its higher smoke point. Avocado Oil has a smoke point over twice as high as EVO. This is important because the addition of heat changes the chemistry of the oil. Too much heat is a problem. Flavor is lessened but, more importantly, nutrients are destroyed, toxins are created and free radicals are released. It turns a healthy oil into a less healthy oil. Bottom line: if your pan is smoking, its too hot for your oil. Move the pan. You should use as little oil as possible while cooking and, instead, put it on the dish after after the food is done cooking.

Another important thing to remember is that Avocados and Avocado Oil are extremely high in calories. If you are on the diet, you are better off using something else.

I hope this helps.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  38. Harper

Blog Posts:
    Oil of Oregano--Part 1 of 3

Oil of Oregano (diluted) should in every Bushcrafter's kit..

Let me repeat that: Oil of Oregano (diluted) should be in every Bushcrafter's kit. In your haversack on day trips and in your spice kit for longer ones. A healthy supply of it should also be in everybody's home.

I am not exaggerating. Hopefully, by the time I finish these next three posts, you will understand why I'm making such a statement.

Oregano is a spice. But the stuff we tend to think of and put on pizza is usually a form of marjoram from Mexico. What I am talking about here is the essential (derived from the word "essence" as opposed to "your body needing it to function" ) oil from Mediterranean Oregano. It is one of, if not the, strongest essential oils out there. It has to be of "medicinal grade." I understand that it takes about 100 lbs. of the plant to make 1 lb. of the oil. Because of this, Oil of Oregano has to be diluted if taken internally. I've never personally used the oil for culinary purposes. But since it is a spice and, in my opinion, so very important, I still think that writing about it here still honors the spirit of this thread.

39. urbanm86

urbanm86 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    how about lemon powder.

40. Harper

Blog Posts:
    Oil of Oregano--Part 2 of 3

The Greeks have been using Oregano for medicinal purposes for over 4,000 years. The name for the plant means "Joy of the Mountains." Both the Greeks and Egyptians also used it as an antidote to poisons. In the Bible, the plant is referred to as Hyssop (not to be confused with the modern plant) and was used for various rituals. In recent times, tremendous work has been done by Dr. Cass Ingram.

Oil of Oregano is nature's strongest:

1. Antibacterial.
    2. Antiviral.
    3. Antifungal.
    4. Antiparasitical.
    5. Yeast Killers.

Go back and read that list again, understanding that this all from one herb/spice.

Oil of Oregano is especially good for dealing with colds, flues, bronchitis, sinusitis, bites, E. coli, athletes foot and toothaches. I will be discussing how to use the oil in the last installment of this series.

Oil of Oregano is loaded with nutrients. A partial list includes: calcium, magnesium, zinc, iron, potassium, copper, boron, and manganese. Vitamins C and A (beta carotene) and niacin also are contained in oregano. The active ingredient is called carvacrol.

I consider Oregano to be a "smart" herb. There are so many wonderful properties of this oil that microbes can't mutate and develop resistance to it. That is why it is so very effective against things like viruses, bacteria, staph and Lymes and MRSA: [useful source:http://www.staph-infection-resources.com/blog/oregano-essential-oil-a-potent-ally-against-mrsa-and-staph/ It is now being used to treat things which are resistant to modern pharmaceuticals.

Since it is a "smart" herb, it only targets the "bad" stuff. Unlike antibiotics and colloidal silver (which both still have their uses), Oil of Oregano doesn't destroy the good flora in your intestines or lead to candida overgrowth. In fact, it kills candida. So you don't have to worry about taking things like probiotics.

Here are some contra-indications of Oregano:
    It is considered a mild remedy with minimal toxicity. An allergic reaction is possible and side affects of this could include difficulty breathing, speaking, or swallowing, facial swelling, and itching. Do not use if you have had an allergic reaction to it or to other herbs of the same family such as thyme, hyssop, basil, marjoram, mint and sage. 18Do not take oregano within 2 hours before or after taking an iron supplement or eat with high iron foods. Oregano is a uterine stimulant and is therefore contraindicated during pregnancy. Essential oil of oregano is a volatile oil and should never be used directly on the skin without diluting first in a carrier oil such as olive oil.
    [source: http://www.herballegacy.com/Branca_Contra.html

In addition, NEVER APPLY UNDILUTED OIL OF OREGANO TO MUCUS MEMBRANES (the eyes, the genitals, the anus, the arm pits, inside of the nose, etc.). When properly diluted, it can be cautiously applied to the skin. One exception to this would be a wart on the skin. Under certain circumstances, full strength can be used on the wart itself but it will irritate the surrounding healthy skin.

Even if one of those "Best if Used By Dates" appears on the bottle, the undiluted form can store virtually forever. It kills those microbes which make foods go bad. So this is the kind of thing you should store a supply of at home.

I speak from personal experience here. I have been using Oil of Oregano for years. So have my circle of family and friends. I took an antibiotic a few years ago when I had some oral surgery. Aside from that, I can't remember the last time that I needed to take a doctor prescribed antibiotic. I have family members that had chronic bronchitis several times every year. After using Oil of Oregano, they now get it rarely, if at all. I have another family member who is a teacher. She used to be sick from November-April with something or another. Now that she uses Oil of Oregano as well certain other things that I told her about, those incidences have been greatly reduced and her quality of life has improved dramatically. Another family member had/has Lymes--I mean, it was bad. It took me years of nagging about OoO before she started taking it. She hates the taste but she takes it now anyway because she finds that it is that effective when she feels a flair up coming on. The other thing that really helps her is red raspberry leaf (and it must have the leaf in it) tea. I will write about Lymes sometime in the future because it effects so many Bushcrafters. But it won't be in this thread because it doesn't fit with the theme of the OP.

Oregano Oil is now being offered in capsule form. While it will still have virtue, it won't have anywhere near the effectiveness of the sublingual method that I will describe.

How to Dilute:
    1. Start out with a good quality oil. I've been getting mine from here for years: http://www.se1.us/health/oregano/. I think it is one of, if not the best out there. If this is your first time, get the option with the spare eyedropper bottle.

2. Get a good quality base oil. I use organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil (see posts on EVO, above).

3. Use a dilution of 1 dropper of Oregano Oil to 5 droppers of EVO and mix in a spare bottle with an eyedropper. You may have to start out with a higher dilution if you are not used to it. I usually start with two droppers of EVO, followed by 1 dropper of Oregano Oil, five droppers of EVO, followed by 1 dropper of Oregano Oil then5 droppers of EVO, etc. I repeat this sequence until the bottle is 1/3 full.

4. At the 1/3 full mark, I shake the bottle for a minute or so.

5. The process should then be repeated at the 2/3 mark and when almost full (leave room for the dropper).

I find that if done this way in "lifts" I get a better mixture. The process sounds longer than it takes. You can mix a batch in 5-10 minutes once you get the hang of it.

How to take sublingually (under the tongue):
    In my opinion, this is the best way to take diluted Oil of Oregano. Make sure it is diluted. Even then, you will experience a burning sensation--but it won't be hurting you if prepared correctly. If drops get down your throat, you will likely gag. Fair warning, this stuff tastes bad.

1. Place 1-2 droppers of diluted Oil of Oregano under your tongue. You will experience a burning sensation.

2. Leave there for 1-2 minutes.

3. Take about 2 oz. water--but do not swallow. Tilt your head back and gargle for another minute or two. Then swallow. This will kill microbes in your gums, mouth and throat area.

4. Drink another 2 oz. of water straight down. You will want to.

5. Take another 2 oz. of water and swish around your teeth to get any residue of off tooth enamel.

6. You will likely need to blow your nose since sinus relief is almost instantaneous.

How often you take Oil of Oregano depends on why your taking it. As a tonic (daily preventive, long term) during flu season, once or twice a day. The best advice I heard if you get the flu is to take the diluted form once an hour while you are awake --until you forget you need it. If taking it hourly over a series of days, your tongue may get a whitish coating. Then stop taking it--use common sense.

Here is some excellent background information which also served as source material:

http://www.herballegacy.com/Oregano_Branca.html

http://www.se1.us/health/oregano/moreinfo.html

http://www.amazon.com/The-Cure-Is-Cupboard-Oregano/dp/1931078270/ref=tmm_pap_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1428865702&sr=8-1

41. Harper

Blog Posts:
    I'm not sure that I can help you much with that one.

For herbal use, I've been taught that you should squeeze fresh lemons to obtain their juice. That's what I do at home. I think it might have something to do with keeping the enzymes of the fruit intact while avoiding preservatives in the other forms of lemon. Personally, I haven't used lemon powder.

That is not to say that lemon powder does not have some virtue. It still retains high levels of vitamin C and antioxidants. You'd probably want to make sure that it is 100% real lemon and that they don't load it up with junk--if your body is trying to heal itself, it shouldn't be taxed trying to fight off the toxic effects of additives, preservatives, GMO, etc. For those not familiar with it, this is not Lemon Grass Powder which is used in Oriental cooking.

Lemon is a natural astringent, antiseptic, and bactericide. Aside from cooking and baking, it is also used for skin care and in soaps.

For Bushcraft purposes, I can see the powder being used effectively for flavoring and adding to the Rehydration Drink which I wrote about in the entry on Celtic Sea Salt.

42. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Black pepper, about an once worth, will stop a leak in a radiator. So will cracking an egg white in there.

Sage will do two things, it will smoke your meat\fish and keep mosquitos away. There may be another thing that does that but I can't recall it at the moment.

Oh and this isn't a spice but if you eat a handful of nuts before bedtime you will be warmer through the night. Your body has to work overtime to break it down thus increasing your internal temperature.

Also, and you all probably know this, but never go to bed with a full bladder, your body has to work overtime to keep your kidneys warm, if your kidneys didn't need to be kept warm then the rest of your body would be kept warm.

With the above in mind, if you are the type to dig a hole and put some coals in it to sleep over, make sure you're sleeping over your lower back IE with the coals under your kidneys.

43. Harper

Blog Posts:
    Oil of Oregano--Part 3 of 4

One thing that I did not mention in my last post regarding dilution of Oil of Oregano is the cost. Remember that you are diluting the OoO. So, if you are using a 1part/5part dilution, you get 6 bottles out of it. If you purchase Oil of Oregano for about $25/bottle + s/h and add a little in for the olive oil, that works out to about $6-$7/bottle. One pill can cost you more than that.

I would now like to go over some ways that Oil of Oregano can be used. Remember, this is for the diluted form unless otherwise indicated. In addition, NEVER APPLY UNDILUTED OIL OF OREGANO TO MUCUS MEMBRANES (the eyes, the genitals, the anus, the arm pits, inside of the nose, etc.).

Here are some Bushcrafty type uses for Oil of Oregano:

1. Arthritis pain. Rub diluted Oil of Oregano on the affected joints in the morning and before bed.

2. Asthma attacks. Rub diluted Oil of Oregano on the chest. Breathe the fumes in from the bottle. Take sublingually (as described in the last post) 2 to 3 times/day.

3. Athlete's foot. Apply diluted Oil of Oregano to the foot and in between the toes. It can also be used for nail fungus by applying to the nail, the base of the nail and taking sublingually. It usually takes time for nail fungus to clear up since it is a chronic condition.

4. Bites/Stings. Wash the wound. Saturate the area with diluted Oil of Oregano. Take sublingually three times a day. Seek medical when possible. According to Dr. Cass Ingram:

" Oil of Oregano is a life saving medicine for animal bite victims. It penetrates the deepest recesses of puncture wounds, killing pathogens on contact. No other antiseptic can match its capacity to stop puncture wound infections. Furthermore, it reduces inflammation and halts pain in bite wounds while neutralizing the toxicity of injected venom or secretions. As a result of its dependable antiseptic powers Oil of Oregano saves limbs and lives."

5. Bladder Infection. Take sublingually 3 times a day. Rub diluted Oil of Oregano on the area between the belly button and the pubic area (i.e.-over the bladder). Remember, DO NOT PUT ON GENITALS.

6. Bruises. Apply diluted Oil of Oregano to the bruised tissue. It is best to apply it immediately after the injury. OoO dissipates the bruise, is an antiinflammatory, reduces pain and reduces swelling. Reapply 3 times a day if necessary.

7. Burns. Yep, it treats burns too. In that branch of alternative medicine known as Homeopathy, there is an adage that says "treat like with like." DilutedOil of Oregano sterilizes the burned area, halts swelling, reduces pain and helps halt blistering. Apply diluted Oil of Oregano to the area as soon as possible after the burn. Repeat 3 times a day as necessary. Seek medical attention as soon as possible after severe burns. This will help a lot while waiting for help to arrive.

8. Bursitis. Apply diluted Oil of Oregano over the joint. Repeat 3 times a day as necessary. Also take sublingually 2 or 3 times a day. Oil of Oregano is a powerful antiinflammatory and penetrates the skin deeply. The Olive Oil used to dilute the OoO also helps with bursitis. A "Frozen Shoulder" is an extreme type of Bursitis and this protocol can also be used for it.

9. Canker Sores. Apply diluted Oil of Oregano directly to the sore. Where appropriate, you can saturate a cotton ball and apply it to the sore.

10. Cold/Flu/Bronchitis/Sinusitis/Cough/Sore Throat/TB. This is probably the area that I've personally used diluted Oil of Oregano the most.

As a preventative/tonic: Take diluted Oil of Oregano once a day, minimum. If I'm going to an event where there are a lot of people present (movie, meeting, etc.) I'll take it both before and after the event and then use a neti pot to flush out the sinuses. This is especially important when going to a hospital, nursing home, etc. Also remember to use antibacterial soap as soon as you leave the facility in those cases. I usually use it as a tonic during flu season (roughly November-April).

Once you've come done with it: Take diluted Oil of Oregano sublingually three times a day. You can increase it to once an hour while awake as necessary. Continue to take it until you "forget" to take it--then continue 3 times a day for the next week or so. If you are taking diluted Oil of Oregano hourly for an extended period and a white coating starts to develop on the tongue, stop taking it for a while--use common sense.

In conjunction with a neti pot: A neti pot won't work when your sinuses are totally clogged. Take diluted Oil of Oregano sublingually. Mucus should start coming out almost immediately. Typically you have a short window where the neti pot can be used as usual.

As a vaporizer: Put one drop of full strength Oil of Oregano or 5 drops of diluted Oil of Oregano into one up of hot water. Cover your head with a towel, KEEP YOUR EYES CLOSED, bring the cup under your nose and inhale.

As an inhalator: Bring a bottle (full strength is better in this case) of OoO under your nose and inhale. Avoid contacting the skin, lips and nasal passages in this area.

When dealing with these types of illnesses, you also want to avoid eating mucous producing foods. You are trying to get rid of the mucus that is already forming in your body. So, why add to it, right? The biggest mucous producing offender is dairy food. This is also true of wheat with some people. Eat light. Soup, fruit, vegetables, etc. Avoid ice cream. It is also good to avoid heavy meats. Your body is better served by using that energy it would otherwise take to metabolize heavy foods and use it towards healing itself.

11. Cryptosporidium/Giardia. Take diluted Oil of Oregano sublingually 3 times a day. It has been said that the treatment for Cryptosporidium must be aggressive and prolonged since this parasite is tough to kill.

12. Diarrhea/Food Poisoning/Stomach Bug/IBS. Take diluted Oil of Oregano sublingually 3 times a day. This happened to me last year--stuff was coming out of both ends and the room was spinning. It was the sickest I've been in a long time. As soon as I was able, I took diluted OoO, about 6 capsules of Dr. Christopher's Lower Bowel Formula followed by mugs of Red Raspberry Leaf Tea (both of which I carry with me and hope to write about in the future). Things started to return to normal in short order. You can also take the Oral Rehydration Drink that I described in the post about Celtic Sea Salt.

13. Earache. Place about 3 drops of diluted Oil of Oregano. Plug with a cotton ball. This will kill infection, if present. It works better when combined with Mullein Oil for this use. If infection is suspected, also take diluted Oil of Oregano sublingually 3 times a day. Some people recommend not putting anything in the ear. They advise using a Q-tip with diluted Oil of Oregano and swabbing the ear instead. I personally use the drops in the ear method.

14. Frostbite/Frostburn. OoO prevents infection, improves circulation, minimizes tissue damage, minimizes pain, reduces inflammation and aids in skin regeneration. Apply diluted Oil of Oregano liberally to the area in question. Repeat as necessary. This will probably need to be done a lot.

15. Head lice. Add 1 dropper full of diluted Oil of Oregano to 1 Tbls. of shampoo. Rub in and let stand for several minutes before washing. For a body wash (except for the genital region), use 1 dropper full of diluted Oil of Oregano to one handful of liquid soap. For the genital region use 2 drops of full strength OoO to 1 Tbls. of liquid soap, mix well. For clothing, bedding, etc. you can add 2 to 3 droppers of full strength Oil of Oregano to each wash load of clothes. To treat combs, brushes, etc., let soak in hot water with 2 to 3 drops of full strength OoO added to it.

This post is getting too long. I originally intended to do 3 posts on Oil of Oregano but I decided to make it 4. This one is just too important to rush. Unfortunately, I can't seem to be able to edit the titles in the two previous posts.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
    Medicine maker and arleigh like this.
  44. gila_dog

gila_dog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Has anybody mentioned garlic, not only as a flavoring for food but as an antibiotic? There are lots of claims on the web about its benefits, but the one I know that really works is using it as an antibiotic in your mouth. I used to get occasional canker sores in my mouth. But after chewing some fresh raw garlic during the last episodes I had, they're gone. I haven't had a canker sore in years.

45. StudentoftheWildnis

StudentoftheWildnis Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    -Sugar-
    I've heard you can use it for packing on larger wounds to stave infection as well as if you had to intravenously induce some saline solution for dehydration or other major issues. I believe I read that in some European military medical guide a while back. Definitely read up on it because it has tons of uses other than meds, use it in traps, if you have cubes you can throw one in your mouth to induce a salival reaction, used in cooking to make certain wild foods become more edible.

-Mints-
    Certain kinds of mints have been recorded historically to help with headaches, body aches, fatigue, motion sickness, and fever. Sometimes wild mints can be found that are more potent and can be used to help in obtaining a soothing and calming effect as well as help with sleeping.

I know that last bit could be helpful to some who even being in the wilds are comfortable, calming enough to get a good nights rest is still hard something about being hard wired the mint can help you lose your worries and put you down like a champ. Very helpful with multi day/ night trips.

46. VA Mtns

VA Mtns Tracker

Blog Posts:
    THANK YOU SO MUCH FOLKS!!!! I love all of your input. I am going to have to write most of this down so I can remember. I will also be sharing this knowledge with my children (they want to learn woodcraft) and friends. Harp I am amazed with all of your knowledge on this and thank you for sharing. Please lets keep this thread going.

47. Harper

Blog Posts:
    Thank you for your kind words VA.

When I first joined BCUSA (after lurking for a long time) I thought this was one area that wasn't covered quite as much as I thought it would be. I further thought I could make a significant contribution that could genuinely help people. But, as usual, I was dragging my feet. When I saw that you started a thread with this title, I knew that I just had to post here. It was perfect. Spices are something that you bring with you: you can't mis-identify them in the field, you have access them in the winter and they serve multiple functions. One of my personal philosophies is: "There is a continuum between food/spices/herbs/medicine."

Another of my personal philosophies is: "If you carry it, know how to use it." I said the same thing in another thread on axes/hawks/knives and some of the posters there made it sound like I wanted to hunt Grizzlies with a pocket knife! Crazy.

I will keep posting here. There is still a lot more that I'd like to go over. Eventually, I will start a sister thread in the Bushcraft Medicine section. It will deal more with general health, herbs, etc. Things that, although related, don't quite fit in with the spirit of this thread. When I do, I will refer them back here because I think the information presented in this thread is that important.

If I can get our fellow Bushcrafters to carry just three items: Cayenne (powder and/or tincture), diluted Oil of Oregano and Celtic Sea Salt, I know that it will help relieve suffering and maybe even save some lives. You have had a hand in that because you helped to get my a$$ in gear by starting this thread. Short of catastrophic injury, these three things will enable you to handle most anything you will encounter in the field--at least until you can get help. This applies to your home too.

I will definitely help to keep this thread going.

Instead of writing this stuff down, have someone print out the pages for you. Keep one in a Ziploc in your spice kit, one in your first aid guide/journal, one in your kitchen and one as a master copy. Then give copies to whoever you wish.

Dscythe, blind & lost and Kacie like this.
  48. 8Ball

8Ball Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Always something educational and interesting on Bushcraft USA. Thanks for sharing your well of knowledge folks! Keep it comin'.

49. Pygar

Pygar Scout

Blog Posts:
    Any truth to the idea that garlic repels skeeters and ticks? How much do you need to take? Wonder if wild onions work, too...

50. VA Mtns

VA Mtns Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I am not an expert but there might be some truth to it. When I was a jungle patrol leader many years ago over seas the skeeters would tear us up but the locals would be fine. They told us because of their spicy diet (Asian Cooking) their bodies secreted natural repellents. Maybe one of the more knowledgeable guys could educate us.

Harper I was rereading your post and you mentioned Coconut oil do you or anyone else have any wisdom to share about it? My wife swears by the stuff and uses it for cooking. I know it has a low melting point and is supposed to have other beneficial purpose besides nutrition.