Spices That Can Serve Multiple Purposes

Discussion in 'Cooking & Water Purification' started by VA Mtns, Mar 3, 2015.

1. chasntuna

chasntuna Guide

Blog Posts:
    I didn't read the entire thread so forgive me if it's listed, but store bought meat tenderizer can be used to kill the sting of ant and bee stings. Mix it with a little water into a paste and spread it on. I keep some in my kit all the time.

2. Harper

Harper Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Thank you. This is good to know.

Personally, I prefer plantain for this kind of use: http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php/157151-Plantain-Quick-Fix

3. Harper

Blog Posts:
    mainewoods likes this.
  4. Harper

Blog Posts:
    For those who over-indulged this Thanksgiving, some things that were discussed in this thread that can help include:

1. Peppermint (tea, caps, etc.).

2. Red Raspberry Leaf Tea.

3. Ginger (tea, caps, etc.).

These will help with gas, bloating and stomach discomfort.

If you have them, Dr. Christopher's Lower Bowel Formula caps are a great thing to take. They do all that stuff plus they balance your digestive system and promote productive BMs.

mainewoods likes this.
  5. Korangar

Korangar Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Have been trying to find information about this, but does anyone know what alternatives there are for treating asthma? In a SHTF scenario, whether we had to bug out or bug in, the inhalers would only last so long. My wife has severe (chronic) asthma, and one of my girls also has it (although not quite as severe as her mother). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

6. Harper

Blog Posts:

The following information is presented for educational purposes. It is not meant to diagnose, prescribe, treat, heal, cure, etc. Consult a physician for medical problems.

It's a damn shame I feel it necessary to even say this.

The information that you are requesting is way beyond the scope of this thread. For educational purposes, I'll give you some very general areas to look into-- but that's as far as I'll go. You'll have to look into them further yourself. The time to do that is now, before a SHTF scenario. If used improperly, information of this nature can be dangerous. I'm responding because yours is a good question. I'm sure there are many others out there concerned about this subject. Unless such a SHTF scenario manifests, make sure your wife and daughter continue to take their medications and work with their doctor. It would be irresponsible to do otherwise.

Asthma is the result of the body being filled with mucus and waste matter. The dry cough is the body's way to try to get this stuff out. It can lead to irritation of the nasal passages, bronchial tubes and/or nerves. In the past, it was primarily due to a poor diet and malnutrition. Today, I believe it is poor nutrition plus certain other factors which are too controversial to get into.

The best way to deal with an attack is to prevent it from happening. That means cleaning up the diet. The number one thing is to avoid dairy--it is mucus producing. Mucus is what the body is trying to get rid of--so don't add to it. Some people are also allergic to wheat. If your wife and daughter eat an organic, healthy diet, I think that you will see a marked decline in their attacks.

The other thing that can be done is to do a bowel cleanse to get waste matter out of the body. Dr. Christopher's Lower Bowel Formula is a very gentle way to do this.

Some herbs that can help with asthma include:

1. Lobelia. This is a specific treatment for asthma, as well as other bronchial or spasmodic troubles. It is one of the best plant expectorants (expels mucus) there is. Because lobelia removes obstructions, it will often cause vomiting. This removes intestinal blockage and often removes mucus accumulations in the bronchial system as well. Some of Lobelia's other common names include: "Puke Weed" and " Asthma Weed." Here is some more information: http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php/37812-Asthma?highlight=lobelia

2. Mullein. This soothes the lungs and helps expectorate phlegm. It can be combined with sage and plantain. Mullein vapor is good for asthma. It is made by simmering a strong pot of Mullein tea and inhaling the steam with a towel over your head. Mullein is good for a variety of bronchial problems. I would not smoke it (or anything) as some suggest. Here are some other links:

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php/161556-Smoking-Mullein?highlight=lobelia

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php/71766-Field-of-Mullein?highlight=lobelia

3. Skunk Cabbage. This is an anti-spasmodic and used for asthma and dry coughs.

4. Elder. Inner bark which has been aged can be used during the onset of an attack. It should be aged, the fresh bark is dangerous to children.

There are other herbs and more advanced combinations but these are good to start your research with. For a SHTF scenario, I would have these herbs on hand in tincture form (they store longer than powders). I would also have these plants in a garden if possible--the tinctures would eventually run out too. At the very least, have some seeds on hand.

Oil of Oregano (diluted). One of my favorites. Look back in this thread for its many uses. Oil of Oregano stores virtually forever.

Honey. It can help with asthma, not necessarily stop an attack. It stores forever. Look back in this thread for the many uses of honey. Also,
    http://homeremediesforlife.com/honey-for-asthma/

Some Essential Oils include those of the purifying type such as: lavender, eucalyptus and peppermint. These can be applied to the chest area and on the soles of the feet around the ball area. They can also be used in a diffuser and inhaled.

I would also look into some yogic breathing techniques which may help during an attack where no other aids are available.

Here is a good place to start your research which has also served, in part, as a source for this post: http://www.herballegacy.com/Asthma.htm

Again, let me repeat myself: unless such a SHTF scenario manifests, make sure your wife and daughter continue to take their medications and work with their doctor--it would be irresponsible to do otherwise.

I hope that this will help point you in the right direction.

7. Harper

Blog Posts:
    Here is a new book that I just got:

Essential_Survival_Guide2.jpg

The description reads:

An easy, step-by-step guide to handling injury, infectious disease, chronic illness, pregnancy, childbirth, sanitation, personal hygiene, mental health and more with: Essential oils, Herbs, basic medical skills, Basic reflexology & acupressure, a healthy lifestyle using food storage and more.

I was only able to flip through it, but I think it will make a nice complement to a standard First Aid handbook. This book is too large for Bushcrafting, but it is good for the home (maybe a base camp).

For carrying in the field, I would recommend this little guy:

[​IMG]

The description reads:

An emergency first-aid herbal handbook. Herbs to the Rescue expounds herbs for specific diseases, along with 13 easily accessible first aid herbs. First aid techniques are also outlined. A wonderful book for hiking and camping to help in those unforeseen emergency situations.

For its size, I think this a good little book. I have had it for years.

Both are available here: http://www.christopherpublications.com/index.html

Amazon doesn't have the first book, but it does have the second.

mainewoods likes this.
  8. Harper

Blog Posts:
    Cold/Flu Prevention

"Germs" by themselves aren't a problem. Our immune system successfully deals with them constantly. But germs combined with a weakened immune system are. That is why two people can be in the same room with a sick person and one of them remains healthy while the other gets sick. We are currently at that time of year where colds/flu can hit hard. We are inside more, around extended family and friends, use heating systems which recirculate interior air, don't get enough sunlight, exercise less, eat more and drink. All these things combine to weaken our immune systems and make us more susceptible to germs.

I wanted to discuss some of the things that I do at this time of the year--using many of the herbs/spices discussed here on this thread--in order to help assure that I have a happy and healthy holiday season.

Before I get into that, I want to put out a word of warning: Avoid taking acetaminophen (Tylenol) while alcohol is still in your system. This combination is extremely bad for your liver--it can cause liver damage. It is also bad for your kidneys and stomach. Aspirin and ibuprofen are "less" bad, but should still be avoided during and after drinking. I'm talking about more than just a beer or two here. Also, and especially, avoid taking them on the "morning after" while large amounts of alcohol are still in your system and you have a hangover headache. White Willow bark is probably the least damaging thing, but I haven't found anything that definitively states that it is harmless to take while alcohol is present in the system.

Time is the great healer for hangovers. Short of "not stopping" (joke), staying hydrated is probably the best thing that you can do.

Seasonal Cold/Flu Prevention

The best way to deal with a cold/flu is to not get one. Here are some things that I personally do at this time of the year:

1. I take a daily tonic dose of diluted Oil of Oregano. If I'm going to an event where a large number of people are present or if somebody is sick, I'll take it both before and after. It is nature's strongest anti-viral, anti-biotic and anti-fungal all in one. It is also an expectorate (gets mucus out).

2. I'll use the Neti Pot with Celtic Sea Salt after I come from an event. This helps get things out before they have time to take root.

3. I take 6,000 iu of Vitamin D-3 and 50-100 mcg of Vitamin K-2. It is important to take them together. The K-2 prevents hardening of the arteries and is also good for bone mass and stength. Sunlight is our natural source of Vitamin D, but we simply don't get enough of it in the winter.

4. I try and drink Red Raspberry Leaf tea daily. This is an excellent source of Vitamin C and other nutrition in a form which is readily usable by the body. It is also extremely good for stomach ailments. If you don't mind the calories, this tea tastes even better with honey which is anti-bacterial, is good for stomach issues and has its own healing properties.

5. I use Celtic Sea Salt on my food. It is loaded with essential minerals which keep our immune systems running efficiently.

6. I carry and use anti-bacterial hand cleaner. In general, it is not a good idea to use this all the time. However, at this time of the year, I think its benefits outweigh its negatives. If I use regular soap, I try to wash for about 15 seconds. Some people count, go through the A-B-Cs or mentally sing "Happy Birthday." The idea is to give sufficient time to wash the ick off.

7. At home, I'll open a window to let in some fresh air. It might affect the heating bill a little, but it helps to keep things fresh.

I also try (but usually don't) watch my diet, get enough sleep and exercise. For the benefit of others, I try to sneeze into the crook of my elbow (like kids are taught) instead of into my hand as I was raised to do.

If You Get Sick

1. Sinuses. Not only are sinus problems annoying, they often turn into earaches and chest colds. I:

a) Stop eating dairy foods (for some people wheat, too). They are mucus producing and you want to that from forming. Also, I eat light. Digestion utilizes energy which is better spent on healing.

b) Take diluted Oil of Oregano once an hour while waking until I forget to take it.

c) Use the neti pot with sea salt as required. If I'm totally clogged, I take diluted Oil of Oregano first, then in the next few minutes as the sinuses clear, use the neti pot. The salt gives has a drying action which lasts over time.

d) Drink plenty of fluids. This helps to thin the mucus. Red Raspberry Leaf tea with honey is hard to beat.

2. Throat/Cough. I:

a) Gargle with salt water for a sore throat.

b) Take honey straight to treat a cough. It helps coat the throat. In addition, the sweet taste is believed to trigger nerve endings that protect the throat from incessant coughing. A syrup made from 1 Tbl. of Honey and 1/4 tsp. of cinnamon is even more effective.

c) Use my favorite remedy found in Post #61 of this thread for strep throat, if things get bad: http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showth...Purposes/page7

d) Sleep in a reclining chair or propped up at a 45 degree angle to help with post nasal drip.

3. Earache. This often starts in the sinuses. So I continue working on those and I:

a) Take a few drops of Oil of Mullein warmed under hot running water to break up wax.

b) If infection is present, I use a few drops of Garlic Oil warmed under running water.

c) If both are present, I use both of these oils simultaneously.

4. Chest Cold. This is can get very dangerous. It can lead to pneumonia. The trick is to nip things in the bud before it gets to that point. I:

a) Get the mucus out. I continue following the procedures for sinuses above. Diluted Oil of Oregano is an excellent expectorant.

b) I don't use many over the counter (OTC) medications, but Mucinex is one that I keep on hand. It is an expectorant and is very effective.

c) Use peppermint capsules or tea to deal with muscle aches associated with prolonged coughing.

A coarsely chopped and baked until slimey (then cooled until you can touch it) onion poultice placed directly on the chest is an old folk remedy which I would use if nothing else is available.

5. Stomach Ailments. I:

a) Take diluted Oil of Oregano.

b) Drink Red Raspberry Leaf tea with honey.

c) Take Dr. Christopher's Lower Bowel Formula.

d) Stay hydrated.

If I don't have Oil of Oregano available, I'll use cinnamon, honey and lemon tea.

I hope this helps to give you some ideas on how to keep yourself healthy through the holiday season. The key is prevention. You want to keep your immune system running smooth. Even if you get sick, these things will likely lessen both the severity and duration of the illness.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    Medicine maker, Sloany and mainewoods like this.
  9. NoBrakesRacing

NoBrakesRacing Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thank you for everyone's input and specially to Harper, it feels like having a friend doctor.

Based on the information here I've purchased some oil of oregano and some dropper bottles. I will dilute it and give to family as epiphany presents.

My own two cents. Have been using calendula lotion to treat little one's bumps and bruises for years, makes them heal very quickly if used right after the bump occured.

One question, is it only cayenne pepper that has those virtues or are other chili peppers similar?

Edit: just using calendula as my twenty month old son did a faceplant, bloody teeth and calendula over his upper lip, nose and forehead...

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  10. Harper

Blog Posts:

Thank you. That is very kind.

I just want to categorically state, I am no doctor. In my posts, I go out of my to say:

The following information is presented for educational purposes. It is not meant to diagnose, prescribe, treat, heal, cure, etc. Consult a physician for medical problems.

I don't want there to be any confusion or any chance of misinterpretation.

Cayenne is part of the Capsicum species (C. annuum, C. baccatum, C. chinese, C. frutescens, C. pubesence). Other members of the Chili family, while somewhat different are related and should give many of the same results as cayenne. There are American and African varieties of Capsicums with various names. The heat of the pepper has a lot do with it.

A cayenne pepper's "heat" is measured in SHU (Scoville Heat Unit). SHU measures the capsaicin (active ingredint responsible for heat) level. The amount of capsaicin varies. The SHU in cayenne typically ranges from 30,000 to 50,000, but there are varieties that have more. So another pepper in this heat range should give similar results.

In addition to capsaicin, chili peppers typically contain small amounts of the alkaloid solanine ,malic acid, oxalic acid and eugenol.

This is a pretty good article on the suubject: http://www.thepracticalherbalist.com/holistic-medicine-library/chili-pepper-herbal-fire-for-digestion-and-circulation/
    Here is an interesting bit of history: Capsicums are not true peppers, they were misnamed by early Spanish explorers who confused their hot taste with the pepper to which they were accustomed.

Calendula has a long history of use on wounds and for soothing the skin. It has been used on things including: minor cuts, abrasions, chapped lips, diaper rash, as a gargle for tooth/gum/sore throats and as a tea internally for bladder infections and ulcers. It is sometimes called "Pot Marigold" and looks like one, but is not a true Marigold. It is mostly used topically as a salve for things just like you described. I hope the little guy feels better.

Good luck with the Oil of Oregano. Fair warning: the first time taking it is rough. It gets easier, but I don't know anybody who likes the taste--only the results.

Medicine maker likes this.
  11. NoBrakesRacing

NoBrakesRacing Scout

Blog Posts:
    I understand about the doctor moniker I added, Harper. I just wish the doctors I've visited would take the time to give solid advice as well as you have, to strangers even.

Good to know about the other chili peppers, thought that they would be similar. Although I just bought cayenne I have others in the cupboard and wanted to check.

I had read this thread before taking a trip last weekend where I ended with a gash on my head from the trucks hatch. I was kicking myself for not having cayenne or cinnamon to put on it but was able to stop the bleeding by direct pressure and put neosporin in it. Since it was in the scalp I couldn't have put any bandaid of shorts on it.

Have not tried calendula internally, always purchased lotions/creams.

If my brother in law takes the oil of oregano for his allergies I'm sure he'll be a happier man.
    He's French and we are Spanish so homeopathic medicine is very well respected.

Be good

12. Harper

Blog Posts:
    Burns

One of our brother members was burned pretty bad. Fortunately, his 2 year old daughter didn't get hurt in the accident. Prayers have been offered on his behalf for a speedy recovery.

In case you missed it, he posted about it and I contributed to the thread: http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php/165662-burns-and-their-care-first-hand-%28pictures-trust-me-it-hurts%29

I spoke briefly about honey--particularly Manuka Honey--and colloidal silver. Some people dismiss honey out of hand. But what they don't realize is that Manuka Honey is listed as the active ingredient in some modern burn creams. The use of honey combined with the herb comfrey (a cell proliferant) is extremely effective for dealing with burns--some say including third degree burns.

Anyways, burns are one of the reasons that I carry honey in my Spice Kit.

13. NoBrakesRacing

NoBrakesRacing Scout

Blog Posts:
    It hurts just looking at his pictures.

I unfortunately had a chance to try honey yesterday for its burn care.

I was making bannock in a cast iron skillet in the toaster oven at home. When pulling it out I switched hands and in a careless moment dropped the kitchen towel and grabbed the oven hot pan by hand.

Immediately I ran my hand under cold water to relieve the pain and stop the burn but could see the outline of damaged skin, almost a blister, in my pinky and a good red area in my palm.

I slathered honey on palm and pinky and left it on for about forty five minutes, spreading it as it got absorbed. I cleaned it off because I did not feel any pain by then, maybe a little discomfort that went away in a couple hours.
    Although there is a red spot in my palm, there is no blistering or damaged skin, which I was specting based on the original pain.

I think I got lucky by having cool water a step away but I'm convinced the honey helped heal the skin.

BTW, the honey is from a hive my brother in law keeps in his back yard in Michigan and a friend processes and sells. Always sends us some for Christmas. Mad Urban Bees is the company.

14. Harper

Blog Posts:
    I'm sorry about the burn.

That was quick thinking on your part. For those who don't know it, the use of cool water is preferable to the use of ice (which can cause frostbite-type damage to the already injured tissue).

As for the use of honey, you've now proven its effectiveness to yourself with your own body.

Thanks for sharing. It is good for the other members to hear feedback like that from somebody other than me.

Remember, you can always put more honey on if you think it is necessary. It is very good for the skin under normal conditions too.

I'm glad things worked out for you.

15. NoBrakesRacing

NoBrakesRacing Scout

Blog Posts:
    I posted for that purpose, so that people could read about my experience.
    Thank you Harper for letting me know about it.

BTW, the bannock was good but 1 cup is too small...

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  16. NoBrakesRacing

NoBrakesRacing Scout

Blog Posts:
    Just tried diluted oil of oregano yesterday and today. Woke up a little congested and so did our son so in case I'm coming down with something.
    It is a very strong flavor at first which lessens in a bit, did have a strong oregano aftertaste for a few hours yesterday.
    Today I had some honey after it and that cleaned my mouth and the aftertaste.
    My nostrils and throat do seem clean after taking it, so will keep doing it for a few days.

BTW, taking a coffee size spoonful of honey after smoking a cigar removes the ashtray taste out of your mouth so that your other honey won't mind getting close :)

17. Harper

Blog Posts:
    Cinnamon--Part 3(b) of 3(b)

11. Toenail Fungus/Athletes Foot. This is best approached by simultaneously using Cinnamon powder internally daily and applying the oil topically twice a day. Cinnamon Leaf Oil contains Eugenol which is a powerful anti-fungal agent. The oil will also dry out the toenail. This is important because fungus breeds in warm, moist environment. One of the biggest causes of toenail fungus is Candida (yeast overgrowth) which is discussed below. Another contributing factor to toenail fungus is poor circulation to the extremities. Cinnamon Oil promotes blood circulation on the nail surface. Cinnamon Powder also helps improve blood circulation. In most cases, results can be seen within 7 days. But it can take months to get rid of it completely. As an aside, Oil of Oregano is as good as, or better than, Cinnamon for this use. For Athletes Foot, soak the feet in a Cinnamon Tea for 20-30 minutes daily.

12. Candida (Yeast). Research shows that Cinnamon is extremely effective in treating Candida. Evidence suggests that Cinnamon is even more effective than many treatment options out there. Anecdotal evidence suggests that a Candida treatment regimen should be followed for one month per year of Candida (e.g.--3 years=3 months). In addition to the Cinnamon capsules/tea, a Candida Regimen should include:

a) Avoiding antibiotics (unless they are of short duration and a physician prescribes them).

b) Adopting a a low carb diet. Avoid it if it is white or round. Switch to brown rice and whole wheat (if appropriate).

c) Avoiding dairy.

d) Avoiding baked goods--especially if they use yeast.

e) Eliminating/reducing sugar, honey and chocolate.

This diet doesn't have to be forever, just until the Candida is gone.

13. Acne/Pimples. Mix three tablespoons of honey and one teaspoon of cinnamon powder to create a paste. Apply this paste to pimples before sleep and wash it off in the morning. For bad cases, this should be done each night for two weeks. This procedure gets to the root.

14. Skin Infections. Mix honey and cinnamon powder in equal parts. Apply to the affected area. This combination can be used for eczema, ringworm and various types of skin infections.

15. Cholesterol. Studies are showing mixed results with Cinnamon (used on its own) and Cinnamon + Honey in combination with respect to cholesterol. The University of Pittsburgh Medical Center and a 2003 Pakistani study suggests that cholesterol is lowered with daily use. Other studies suggest that there is no evidence of reduction.

In the Pakistani study, researchers found the following results: total cholesterol was reduced by 12–26%; LDL-cholesterol (bad) was reduced by 7–27%; HDL-cholesterol (good) was unchanged; and triglycerides (fats) were reduced by 23-30% (Khan A, Safdar M, Khan MMA, Khattak KN, Anderson RA. Cinnamon improves glucose and lipids of people with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care 2003 Dec;26(12):3215-8).

There are a number of promising, ongoing studies being conducted on Cinnamon. Areas of research include: ADHD, Alzheimer's, cancer, diabetes, digestion, HIV, hypertension, Lymes and Parkinson's.

Just a brief word on Lymes since it is a real problem with Bushcrafters. Some people have reportedly used Cinnamon with good results. They were said to have "herxed" (detoxed). The symptoms got worse before they got better--just like with conventional anti-biotics. Personally, I would use Oil of Oregano , B-Complex, Red Raspberry Leaf tea, etc., as discussed elsewhere in this thread instead of Cinnamon for this purpose.

Conclusion

Cinnamon is one of those spices that just about everybody has in their home. Few people, however, realize the remarkable healing powers sitting in their cupboard. Unlike some other spices, Cinnamon is pleasant tasting. If you are going to use it every day, make sure that you get "True" or "Ceylon" Cinnamon to avoid damaging the liver.

I use Cinnamon on my oatmeal. But that is only one of the reasons that I carry it in my Spice Kit. Cinnamon, alone or in combination with honey, is a very potent healing agent.

I recommend that everybody include Cinnamon as one of the basic components of their Bushcraft Spice Kit.

18. Harper

Blog Posts:
    Turmeric--1 of 4

Introduction

Everybody should be taking Turmeric.*

I think that Turmeric is the single best supplement that you can take for your long-term health (as opposed to Oil of Oregano for short-term ailments).

Everybody should be taking Turmeric.

I carry Turmeric in my Spice/Herb/Mes Kit. I do this even though I typically don't use it for culinary purposes. I carry it for its other uses.

Everybody should be taking Turmeric.

I'm not overstating it.

India has 3-4X the population of the US. In many areas--I'll be polite here--it has less than ideal sanitary conditions. Despite these things, the incidence of chronic disease is significantly less than Western nations in general, and than the US in particular. Some 30+ years ago, researchers took note of this and began to try and figure out why. They attributed it to the use of Turmeric which is a staple in India.

Turmeric is considered an antioxidant, antiviral, antibacterial, antifungal, anticarcinogenic, antimutagenic and anti-inflammatory. Nutritionally speaking, Turmeric contans: protein, dietary fiber, niacin, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Vitamin K, potassium, calcium, copper, iron, magnesium and zinc. Here is a brief overview of just some of the things Turmeric is excels at:

1. Preventing Cancer (Prostate, Breast, Colon, T-Cell Leukemia). It has been called "Nature's Chemotherapy." It is also extremely good for reducing the ill effects of radiation and chemo therapy.
    2. Controlling Diabetes.
    3. Reducing Cholesterol.
    4. Improving Brain health/Preventing Alzheimer's.
    5. Relieving both Osteo and Rheumatoid Arthritis (also bursitis and tendonitis).
    6. Detoxifying the liver.
    7. Improving digestion, reducing gas and bloating.
    8. Boosting the immune system.
    9. Protecting against food poisoning/eliminating parasites.
    10. Promoting eye health.

And much more more. Here is a resource which lists many others: http://www.thealternativedaily.com/turmeric-spice/

*--See "Contra-indications."

Turmeric vs. Curcumin

Curcumin is one of the constituents of the spice Turmeric. In modern parlance, we would call it the "active ingredient."

Many companies sell Curcumin as opposed to Turmeric, tout it as the ultimate in health and charge a lot more for it.

But studies have shown that Turmeric is more effective in its whole state as opposed to the purified compound Curcumin probably because of the full spectrum of curcuminoids. In addition, there is usually a synergistic effect form the other "stuff" that is discarded.

I use Turmeric in its whole form with Curcumin added. I suspect that this gives Turmeric an extra boost. Presently, I'm using this:
    http://www.puritan.com/puritans-pride-brand-0102/tumeric-curcumin-450-mg-015419?scid=35120

Turmeric also works synergistically (gives better results by working together; the sum is greater than the parts) with Black Pepper and Cayenne.

As a supplement, Turmeric/Curcumin is best taken about an hour before eating a meal. Absorption can be improved by taking the supplement with grapefruit juice, pineapple juice, milk, black peppper (pepperine) or Cayenne. If consumed as part of a meal (not in pill form), it works best with meals that contain oils or dairy.

Most of the world's Turmeric comes from India. The two primary areas of that country where it comes from are Alleppey and Madras. If you are fortunate enough to have access to a spice market, try to get the Turmeric which comes from Alleppey. It contains twice the amount of Curcumin and has a mellower flavor.

Coast to Coast AM Interview

Below is a recent interview on Coast to Coast AM with Christian Wilde. The interview starts approximately 9 minutes in.

If your interested in Turmeric, I think that it is worth your time.

[video=youtube;6BacyCyVEpY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BacyCyVEpY[/video]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
    LarryB and mainewoods like this.
  19. Mazer

Mazer Scout

Blog Posts:
    Not a spice, but honey is an antibacterial and can be placed as is right on a wound. Cayenne pepper is also a good anti-inflammatory.

20. Harper

Blog Posts:
    Last night I contributed to a thread on how to use some of the spices we have discussed here as a field expedient for dealing with a sciatic attack. I thought that I would post it here for those who may not have seen it.

If you know that you are prone to such attacks, prevention in the form of stretching and nutrition is the way to go. The use of Turmeric and Vitamin B-complex as supplements seem particularly helpful for dealing with sciatica.

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php/167348-Sciatica

LarryB likes this.
  21. Harper

Blog Posts:
    Medicine maker likes this.
  22. bocephus223

bocephus223 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Harper, thank you for all the knowledge! This thread is a huge help for me, someone who didn't know where to look for these answers in the first place. It came along at the right time too, before I got discouraged from the topic by not finding any useful info.

Can you do a segment on fish oil? I have found some info about its cardio effects, but it was geared towards selling product, so I don't know how good the info is. Thanks for everything!

23. Harper

Blog Posts:
    You're welcome! I'm glad that you find the information useful. I have some more time now so I will try to post more in this thread. I've been letting it slide some since there hasn't exactly been a great response of late.

It is important that we take back our health. I'm not going to go into a long discourse here, but I will say that there are powerful interests who don't like seeing this kind of information disseminated--there is no money in it for them. Modern medicine excels in certain areas--like trauma care--and drops the ball in others. I don't blame the doctors for this. They are doing what they have been trained to do and what they read in studies. But guess who usually endows the medicals schools and funds those studies? They can't patent and charge $100 for one capsule of Turmeric. So, that herb which has been used in medicine for thousands of years, won't get the consideration it deserves by modern medicine. Interestingly enough, most of these major companies also own subsidiaries which produce vitamins and supplements.

As for fish oil, I'll discuss it right now--I don't use it.

Toxins and heavy metals tend to concentrate in the fat of the fish. The higher up on the food chain (i.e.-- the bigger the fish), the more concentrated they become. Most of the oil comes from these fatty areas. That is why I prefer plant sources. I told my doctor this when he broached the topic. He then convinced me to take what he himself was taking--purified fish oil that was checked in a lab. It cost like $500 for a 3 month supply but, with my prescription plan, it was actually cheaper for me to buy it than the OTC stuff. So I took his advice.

Then I stopped taking it.

Have you seen the headlines over the past several years regarding the unprecedented mass fish/sea mammal die-offs in the Pacific? Did you catch phrases like..."Scientists are baffled"..."Experts can't explain"..."A mystery disease"...etc. as they tried to explain them? These "experts" know what's causing the die offs --Fukushima. They just can't say it. They are afraid that they will be fired or lose their funding if they do.

Fukushima has continued leaking everyday since it happened almost five years ago. The Japanese can't stop it. Nobody has a workable plan that can stop it in the forseeable future. Since the world's governments can't afford to be seen as not being in control and big money is at stake, there is a virtual news blackout on the subject. Currents take it across to Alaska and then down the West Coast. I know it gets diluted. But make no mistake, it has entered the ecosystem and it bioaccumulates.

That was enough for me. I don't know where the fish used to make a given batch of fish oil comes from. I, personally, won't eat anything coming out of the Pacific (or the Gulf of Mexico after the so-called "clean up"). Some people laugh. That's the way they cope with it I guess.

In addition to that, reports have come out in the last few years that have indicated that not only did fish oil not help prevent certain cancers, but that it could actually be problematic.

Having said all that, you still need a good source of healthy Omega oils. It is essential for brain health, joints, etc. Right now I am using organic cold pressed Hemp Seed oil (legal, a different plant). Flax seed oil is another one. Currently, I'm looking into Black (Cumin) Seed Oil. Not only does it have the good Omega Oils, it appears to be effective against a whole series of other things as well. Here is a link:

http://wakeup-world.com/2013/01/02/black-cumin-seed-oil-the-miracle-oil/
    (this site is a little too New Agey for my taste, but it has a good summary)

Don't get discouraged. Start with cleaning up your diet. Diet is the foundation of health. Your body knows how to heal itself. Give it the raw materials it needs (the "good stuff," i.e.-nutrition) or, at the very least, avoid doing harm (stop eating/doing the "bad stuff").

Taking Turmeric is probably one of the best things you can do for your long term health. It also works synergistically with good oils like those described above.

That's probably more information than you wanted--but it was a good question. I'm guessing others had it as well.

24. NoBrakesRacing

NoBrakesRacing Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thank you for the information about fish oil, very interesting point.

The thread may have slowed down but not because of the interest on it, myself like others may be waiting for more knowledgeable people to post.

I'm looking forward to more information on turmeric. I use it often for cooking and would enjoy learning more about its benefits.

25. bocephus223

bocephus223 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Thanks again. There is never too much information in my eyes. I did not consider Fukishima before, and I eat a lot of fish. I have no clue where it comes from, unless I caught it myself. I will look for a different source for the omega oils, like flax seed.

26. spumwuzzle

spumwuzzle Scout

Blog Posts:
    Harper,

You posts are greatly appreciated. If oils are allowed in the conversation, where do you stand on all the coconut oil hubbub?

I typically carry a small jar of ghee. My wife has started using coconut oil at home, and I think she's overdoing it.

I bought the "Eat To Live" book on Sunday morning, about half way through it. Lots of food for thought in there. <- Unintentional pun

spumwuzzle

27. Harper

Blog Posts:
    Thank you.

Coconut Oil is an excellent oil. In many ways, it is better than Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVO). For those who are not aware of it, I briefly addressed the matter on page 6 of this thread. Yes, you can over do it IMO. All fats are high in calories so I question some of the claims that "weight just melts off of you"--but I'm not sure. You can usually do everything you can do with EVO and do it better with Coconut Oil--but the taste will be different. With me, it depends on what I intend to use the oil for--I simply like the taste of Olive Oil better for certain things.

I try to keep my consumption of dairy down, so I don't use ghee.

The diet in "Eat to Live" works--and it is no "fad" diet, either. You will see good results. The first couple weeks are tough. It is very effective for diabetics. However, I found it difficult to stay on that kind of diet for extended periods. While I was full, I wasn't "satisfied." That's a mind thing (after the initial "detox" period, that is) which needs to be worked on separately by adopting a new paradigm--that's harder to do. The emphasis on beans, fiber, etc. are solid. When you reach your goal weight, try to incorporate these ideas into your normal eating habits so it's not a special "diet." Also, avoid things that are "white"--rice, pasta, wheat, etc. I found that Red Raspberry Leaf tea helped to deal with the desire to eat. The Celtic Sea Salt helped to supply minerals to shut off the "desire to eat" switch. Also, try to eat apples (skin on, washed)--they provide fiber and really are very good for you. In addition, go shopping and have the food on hand for the first week or so before starting the diet. Get rid of the goodies.

Good luck! Let us know how you make out if you decide to try it.

I hope this helps.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  28. LIMPINGJ

LIMPINGJ Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Harper, how much Turmeric do you need to take a day and how is the best way to take it?
    Thanks

BBizy likes this.
  29. Harper

Blog Posts:

First, please read the disclaimer below.

Second, it really depends on why you want to take it.

I take Turmeric in capsule form daily--for a number of reasons. The bottle says to take one a day. I found out that wasn't nearly sufficient for my needs. Normally, I take 2 capsules, 3 times a day around meal time (Turmeric works especially well with good oils, pepper and Cayenne). You might not need as much--I do some form of workout almost everyday, I'm dealing with an old injury and certain other issues. For my needs, this is the right amount. At times, I've taken 6 capsules at a time to deal with inflammation. On the flip side, I don't remember the last time that I took an aspirin.

Its hard to take too much Turmeric. I've heard of people who were dealing with cancer/cancer treatments who would take Turmeric capsules by the handful. They had a bowl and filled it like M & Ms. As they passed by, they would take a handful. Of course, this is the most extreme of cases.

You can spicen your food directly with Turmeric. But I've found it easier to use capsules. They are not overly expensive if you get them on sale.

I hope to write more on Turmeric in the coming weeks. I'm glad to see that more people are becoming interested in it.

I hope this helps.

hayshaker likes this.
  30. Harper

Blog Posts:
  31. spumwuzzle

spumwuzzle Scout

Blog Posts:
    I just can't get past the odor. We even bought a supplement tablet, thinking it would be better.

Opened the container and was immediately nauseous.

I absolutely LOVE malt vinegar, but white and apple cider vinegar make my tummy tumble.

32. Canajun

Canajun Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Folks, I just wanted to bump this thread as I think there is some very valuable information here, especially about cayenne. Great to see such knowledgeable people on this forum who are willing to share.

I started taking a 000 capsule of 90K HU Capsicum three times a day as of mid-day on Saturday 27 Feb and I started to feel better within a few hours. I took it with water at first, but it was a bit of a shock to my system and had to take a little milk and it was fine. Nevertheless, I felt a "ripple" or perhaps more accurately a "radiating glow" of heat spread throughout my body and all along my arms and legs. I went a little light-headed the first couple of times, but that wore off quickly. I started doing this because my FIL lent me his book "Left for Dead", by Dick Quinn. It's out of print but can still be found. Great info. If my genealogy research has taught me anything, it is that I come from a long line of men prone to heart attacks (my father, GF, and GGF all died in their mid-60's of HAs). Hence I am being proactive with the cayenne. Of course, there are numerous other benefits to cayenne (see: http://www.cayennepepper.info/health-benefits-of-cayenne-pepper.html), but the heart aspect is the most important for me. The info states it actually scours the vascular system over time and removes plaque.

Another great reference in this thread is cider vinegar. I take it regularly with a little hot water and honey. If I feel the start of a cold or flu coming on, though, I'll crush a couple of whole garlic cloves and steep for a few minutes in boiling water (around four ounces of water and of course remove the cloves), then I add some cider vinegar (about 2 oz), a tsp of honey, and a quarter tsp of cayenne. Sometimes I'll add a little cinnamon, too. Lean over the sink, and down it in one. Have a chair nearby because you may need to sit down quickly. The first time I did this I went severely light-headed for a minute-or-so and had to sit. As I sat, I started sweating buckets. I went to bed and when I woke up in the a.m., I was right as rain. No flu. The ancient Roman legions prescribed a daily dose of a similar wine vinegar drink, flavoured with herbs, and sometimes with honey, called "posca". It was deemed to be fortifying, aid digestion, sooth stomachs, kill harmful bacteria in suspect water, and general strengthen the constitution.

When I was a kid, if I got a cold I was always dosed with a teaspoon of cinnamon essence in warm water, sometimes with honey. It was awful, but it seems to have worked. Can't find it here these days.

Update (2 March): Another very important point I should mention. I was previously taking zopoclone on a fairly regular basis as I have hyper-alertness and don't sleep well (sleeping VERY lightly and woken by a gnat fart!). I hated taking that drug as its side effect is drowziness in the morning and it really only puts me out; it doesn't provide good quality sleep. Well, I haven't used zopoclone at all since I started using cayanne and have been sleeping hard and deep. this is a bit of an epiphone for me. The degree of mental clarity I have during the day is amazing and I have been getting massive amounts fo work done during the day, getting home and doing housework and cooking and still feel I have energy to spare. I have also been feeling much more positive, mentally. No idea if that is a direct effct of the cayanne, or if it is an indirect effct due to geting better sleep, but I'll take it nonetheless.

Just thought I'd share.

I am a cayanne convert!!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
    LarryB likes this.
  33. Harper

Blog Posts:
    It is always good to see other people leaving feedback about those things which we discuss in this thread--especially when it is that good.

Since you are being proactive in dealing with cardio issues, you should check out:

1. Hawthorne Berry. This is probably the number one herb for dealing with cardio issues. It helps the actual heat muscle as well the function of both the heart and blood vessels. Here are some places to start:

http://www.christopherhobbs.com/library/articles-on-herbs-and-health/hawthorn-for-the-heart/

http://www.naturalnews.com/035685_hawthorn_berries_heart_health.html

2. Turmeric. Its effects on the cardio system are yet another benefit afforded by this spice. Just about everybody reading this post should be taking Turmeric.

http://www.turmericforhealth.com/turmeric-benefits/how-turmeric-benefits-your-heart

http://www.naturalnews.com/040955_turmeric_heart_health_autoimmune_disease.html

Also, don't forget Garlic. It is an outstanding herb for the heart.

(For those who are taking medication for cardio issues, make sure that you work with your doctor if you want to use some of these things.)

Cool!

Keep us posted.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
    LarryB and Canajun like this.
  34. Fighting Irish

Fighting Irish Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Man - just found this thread. Awesome info. Good show Harper. Thanks

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
    LarryB likes this.
  35. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    I am very much in to this discussion ,there is so much to learn .
    Cider vinegar and honey is an old one I've used for over coming colds and flu for years.
    Vitamin C is also a critical value .
    Turmeric I'm told is good for blood clotting ,but it's good to learn it has good cardio value as well.
    Recently I read about baking soda and there are doctors that have been dissolving tumors with it .
    A friend has got me checking my PH and using baking soda to correct it I'm at 7 which ins about right now.
    Apparently cancer cells thrive in an acidic environment and correcting ones PH can prevent that and even correct it .
    I have a book on Eating for your Blood Type . It's good to know what turns to acid in your digestion and every one's blood type responds differently to the same foods .

LarryB likes this.
  36. Harper

Blog Posts:
    Turmeric--2 of 4

Description

Common Name: Turmeric
    Scientific Name: Curcuma longa
    Other Names: Indian Saffron, Pian Jiang Huang, Kasturi Manjal, Yu Jin, Halada, Haldi, Haridra

Turmeric comes from the root of the Curcuma longa plant. It is a perennial plant and part of the ginger family. The plant reaches approximately three feet in height. It produces both a flower and a rhizome. A rhizome is an underground, horizontal stem of a plant that often sends out roots and shoots. The Turmeric rhizome has an appearance similar to ginger. The plant is native to India. It requires warm tropical climates and a lot of water. The Turmeric plant has tough brown skin and an orange pulp.

Turmeric 1.jpg

Turmeric 2 (2).jpg

Turmeric 3.jpg

Turmeric.jpg

Turmeric is typically used in a dried powdered form. It can also be used fresh like ginger. To make a powder, the rhizomes are boiled for about 30–45 minutes then dried in hot ovens and then ground. The powder is commonly used as a spice and to impart color to mustard condiments. One of its active ingredient is curcumin. Some supplement companies sell curcumin in its isolated form but research has shown that Turmeric in its whole form has more healing properties. Curcumin itself has an earthy, mildly bitter, hot pepper flavor and smells like mustard.

History

Turmeric has a special place in Indian tradition and worship. It is used to worship their sun god and worn by people as a part of purification process. There is a wedding tradition in which a Turmeric dyed string is tied around the bride’s neck by the groom. This necklace, the mangala sutra, indicates that the woman is married and capable of running a household. It has been compared to the Western exchange of wedding rings.

Turmeric appears in some of the earliest known records of plants being used for medicine. It has been used medicinally for over 4,500 years. Turmeric is said to have been cultivated in the Gardens of Babylon in the 8th century BC. But it emerged as an important part of Ayurvedic medicine around 500 BC. Ayurvedic texts have over 100 different terms for turmeric.

By 800 AD, the Turmeric cultivation had spread across much of Asia and Africa. By the 18th century, it had spread to Jamaica and other tropical locations. In the modern day, it can also be found growing in Hawaii and Costa Rica.

Turmeric was commonly used as a natural dye. It was used for dying both skin and clothing. It is sometimes used instead of the more expensive spice Saffron because it is similar in color and costs less.

One very interesting fact about Turmeric is that it is used to whiten teeth. This seems unusual given the fact that it is used as a dye but it has whitening power as well.

During his travels, Marco Polo encountered Turmeric. Because of it deep yellow-orange color, he mistook it for saffron. He called it "Indian Saffron" and the name stuck. Today, it remains one of Turmeric's common names. The taste and medicinal properties of Turmeric are very different than Saffron.

Culinary Uses of Turmeric

Turmeric is widely used in both South Asian and Middle Eastern cuisine. Without going into recipes, here are some general thoughts on the culinary uses of Turmeric:

-While typically used in its powdered form, Turmeric can also used fresh like ginger.

-Turmeric is widely as a starter ingredient in many Persian dishes.

-In India and Nepal, Turmeric is extensively used in many vegetable and meat dishes.

-In South Africa, Turmeric is used to give white rice a golden color.

-In Vietnamese cuisine, Turmeric powder is used to color and enhance the flavors of certain dishes, The powder is also used in stir-fry dishes and soup.

-In Cambodian curry paste contains fresh Turmeric and is known as Kroeun.

-In Indonesia, Turmeric leaves are used for Minangese and Padangese curry bases.

-In Thailand, fresh Turmeric is widely used in many dishes; especially yellow curry and turmeric soup.

How to Optimize Turmeric Absorption

Most Turmeric which is ingested in its whole form gets metabolized and eliminated before it can get absorbed into the blood. Turmeric is fat-soluble. When something is fat-soluble, it means that it dissolves in fat. In order to make the most of turmeric, you should take it with some form of fat. Without that fat, curcumin (the active component in turmeric), has difficulty getting from the stomach into the small intestine where it can, in turn, be absorbed into the bloodstream. Instead, the unabsorbed portion passes out of the body. Personally, I split up taking my Turmeric supplements. I take it three times a day around meal times to help maxamize absorption.

As a supplement, Turmeric/Curcumin is best taken about an hour before eating a meal. Absorption can be improved by taking the supplement with grapefruit juice, pineapple juice, milk, Black Pepper or Cayenne. If consumed as part of a meal (not in pill form), it works best with meals that contain oils or dairy.

Turmeric also works synergistically (i.e.--it gives better results by working together; the sum is greater than the parts) with both Black Pepper and Cayenne. Pepprine, the active ingredient in Black Pepper, increases the bioavailability of Turmeric by almost 1,000 times.

Some other ways to maximize Turmeric absorption include:

-Sprinkling on an avocado.

-Dissolving it in a tablespoon of coconut oil.

-Stirring it into extra virgin olive oil and using it as a dressing.

Here is a source for additional information on how to enhance the bioavailability of Turmeric:
    http://naturalsociety.com/turmeric-absorption-super-benefits-black-pepper/

A Valuable Resource for Everything Turmeric

Here is a valuable resource for everything Turmeric:
    http://www.turmericforhealth.com/turmeric-benefits/turmeric-your-defense-against-stroke
    It is worth spending some time on this site if you are thinking about using Turmeric.

Medicine maker and hayshaker like this.
  37. Harper

Blog Posts:
  38. Harper

Blog Posts:
    Doubles likes this.
  39. Doubles

Doubles Guide

Blog Posts:
    Has this thread been made a sticky yet, and if not, what are we waiting for?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
    DomC and Harper like this.
  40. DomC

DomC Retired Old Scrub Stomper Supporter

Blog Posts:
    ^^^this for sure^^^ :dblthumb:

Dom

makin tracks, Doubles and Harper like this.
  41. Harper

Blog Posts:

Manuka Honey

It's a damn shame I feel it necessary to even say this.

In post #101 of this thread, I referenced Manuka Honey. Manuka Honey comes from New Zealand. The bees make this honey from pollen harvested from the Manuka shrub. It is a cousin to the plant that is used to make TeaTree Oil.

I reported that Manuka Honey was being clinically studied for use in a number of conditions including MRSA. There is a component of this honey that makes it special--but scientists aren't sure what it is. There is even a rating system which indicates how much ot this "special" component is in a given batch of Manuka Honey called the Unique Manuka Factor (UMF). Typically, you don't want to go below a UMF of 10 or 15 for the kinds of things I'm describing. The higher the UMF, the more effective--and expensive--the honey is. There are even brands being sold that have other rating systems in imitation of the UMF. They may be perfectly okay, but it sounds a little dicey. Not all Manuka Honey is created equal and some of these may not have much of the UMF in it at all.

Previously, I said that I had no personal experience with Manuka Honey--primarily because it was so expensive. That has changed.

An older male relative of mine has had Type II diabetes for years. It has been under control and is much, much better than it used to be (someday I'll write about that). Last month, he started getting sores on the back of his legs. Things got progressively worse and they began to weep--thnk of the fluid from a popped blister runnig continuously. The situation became advanced. The sores/ulcers encompassed his calves and began wrapping around his shins. He had been using a prescription steroidal ointment but it didn't stop the weeping or the progression.

I recalled that one of the things which Manuka Honey was paticularly good for was to stop weeping wounds. I heard one individual recount that it was the only thing that worked with him. In this instance, it would be used topically and spread on the sores/ulcers. I told my relative about this and he decided to give the Manuka Honey a try. He bought this type:

Amazon.com: Kiva Certified UMF 15+ - Raw Manuka Honey (8.8 oz): Health & Personal Care

(Reading the Amazon reviews, while anecdotal, may be helpful for those who want to look into this a little deeper.)

There was a stronger version of the Manuka Honey (UMF 20+)--but it cost 50% more. Since we didn't know if it would work, this seemed like a reasonable compromise.

The weeping began to stop 1-2 days after the initial application.

The weeping stopped completely in all areas around day 8.

It has been a little less than two weeks now since the initial application. While some of the sores are still there, they have a healthy pink glow to them and appear to be progressing nicely.

One jar of the honey seems like it will be sufficient (with some left over) for this situation. If these weeping sores are diabetes related, they will likely recur on my relative at some point. If he catches them early with the honey, it shouldn't be so bad. He has promised to speak with his doctor to get a better handle on the cause.

I suspect that the higher (more expensive) UMF Manuka Honey would have reduced healing time.

Anyway, I'm now sold on Manuka Honey. Because of the expense, I'll still likey use normal (organic) honey for most of my needs but will eventually get some of this to keep on hand for the serious stuff. Honey doesn't go bad, so it will last virtually forever. I don't know how time affects the UMF factor, but I suspect that it will still be pretty potent.

42. Harper

Blog Posts:
    Honey was covered earlier in this thread. The effects of Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD) was also discussed.

The following is an interview withe George Scott. He was a former member of the chemical industry and is a life long beekeeeper. He shares fascinating insights into Colony Collapse Disorder. The intrview starts around the 1 hr 25 min mark. The interview runs approximately 1 hr 14 mins.

If you are interested in such things, it is worth your time.

43. little one

little one Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Harper thank you so much!

Harper likes this.
  44. little one

little one Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I am new and just happened onto this thread, which caused me to join this site. Harper supplied a lot of information that I have been interested in gaining knowledge in. Thank you for being generous with your knowledge. While i am not in the woods, I am trying to gain. Knowledge in doing things the way my grandparents did. I have learned canning, dehydration and working on gardening skills. I figured why not have plants in the garden that are useful and nice to look at. I look forward to learning from all of you if you don't mind. Thank you a newbie.

Mr. Tettnanger, Doubles and Harper like this.
  45. Doubles

Doubles Guide

Blog Posts:
    There are quite a few of us pleased with Harper for sharing his knowledge. I count myself among them. I may not go as deep into learning/ using herbs and spices as he and others do, but, I'm very happy when I try something and have positive results, even on a small scale. Plantain and it's uses alone would have been reason to join, had I not already been here. But there's so much more.....

46. Flint_2016

Flint_2016 Rusty Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
    Cayenne pepper works for clotting blood also.

Harper likes this.
  47. Flint_2016

Flint_2016 Rusty Hobbyist

Blog Posts:
  48. Harper

Blog Posts:
    I had seen this brand when I was looking for Manuka honey. My problem with it was that it does not have a UMF (Unidentified Manuka Factor) rating. The UMF content is what makes this type of honey so special. Wedderspoons uses a "K Factor"--which is kind of ambiguous. The fact that they don't use a UMF rating sets my Spidey senses off. I mean, why would a Manuka honey producer not advertise the product's UMF rating? Not all Manuka honey is created equal. It may be perfectly fine, but when I need to use this kind of honey (which is expensive) for something serious, I want to know that the UMF content is there. That is why I passed on this brand.

I appreciate your interest. Thanks for posting.

49. JosephDurham

JosephDurham Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have only gotten the opportunity to read the first page of this thread but this has been quite informative. As an EMT makes it much more interesting.

Harper likes this.
  50. WhisperInThePine

WhisperInThePine Wubba lubba dub dub Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I can personally testify to this. I have gout and last week I visited the local organic store to pick up some cherry pills because my supervisor, who also has gout suggesting picking some up as they have helped him immensely. While talking with the staff, they also pointed out the vegetarian uric acid cleansing pills. I slightly rolled my eyes ("vegetarian pills?"). Four days later, I get back from fishing and notice a slight pain in my ankle, at first I think nothing of it, since I took a mighty spill while crossing the stream.

Three hours later, I could barely walk, and I knew it was gout. The following morning, I couldn't walk at all, the gout was in my ankle and excruciating to put pressure on. I managed to get to the store and get the uric acid cleansing tablets. I took them immediately upon returning home. Three hours later, I was walking again, 6 hours later, it was almost like there was no gout at all. I looked up the pills, besides tart cherry, tumeric was an active ingredient.

I have NEVER had anything work so fast at stopping a gout attack. The next day when I went shopping, I made sure to stop by the spices aisle.