Spices That Can Serve Multiple Purposes

Discussion in 'Cooking & Water Purification' started by VA Mtns, Mar 3, 2015.

1. JosephDurham

JosephDurham Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have yet to be able to read through the entire thread as of yet, however, the weekend is upon us.

While at work I was thinking about making a PDF/ or a EXCEL sheet of all of the herbs/ spices discussed here for my own purposes but would be more then willing to share it.

Other then the spice/ herb and treatment is there anything else you would like to see in this sheet? Or any interest at all?

2. Harper

Harper Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:

This sounds like a good idea. It might be helpful for people to keep with their spice/herb/med kit. I could see where having one laminated page could be handy--I imagine people could play with size and reduce it if necessary.

I don't know what you have planned, but I think that you should include the contra-indications for safety's sake. You could number code them if there is not enough space for written comments on the chart.

3. Harper

Blog Posts:
  4. Harper

Blog Posts:
    Medicine maker likes this.
  5. JosephDurham

JosephDurham Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm sorry the delay in getting the spreadsheet together. With the passing of mom I haven't really had time to sit down and work on it. I can only keep up with the forum when I'm at work (ssshhhhhhhh) lol but I have not forgotten I assure you all.

Harper likes this.
  6. Harper

Blog Posts:

I'm sorry for your loss.

There is no reason to make this any kind of priority. I've been dropping the ball with respect to writing new content myself. Do it as you are able.

JosephDurham likes this.
  7. Doubles

Doubles Guide

Blog Posts:
    Congrats on your one year anniversary with the forum, Joseph. Sorry to read of your mom, been there.....

Harper likes this.
  8. highlander

highlander Veni Vidi comedit lardum Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hot garlic tea for sore throats. I use about a teaspoon of granulated garlic powder to a half cup water. Let it steep then gargle a mouthful in the morning and at night. I've done it and it works well.
    Ginger tea for upset stomach and nausea.
    Although not a spice a forth of a teaspoon of baking soda dissolved in a small amount of water helps indigestion and heartburn...this is not recommended for people with heart problems I've been told.

Harper likes this.
  9. zelph

zelph Guide

Blog Posts:
    In North America, the smooth sumac (R. glabra) and the staghorn sumac (R. typhina) are sometimes used to make a beverage termed "sumac-ade", "Indian lemonade", or "rhus juice". This drink is made by soaking the drupes in cool water, rubbing them to extract the essence, straining the liquid through a cotton cloth, and sweetening it. Native Americans also use the leaves and drupes of the smooth and staghorn sumacs combined with tobacco in traditional smoking mixtures.

Dye and tanning agent[edit]
    The leaves of certain sumacs yield tannin (mostly pyrogallol-type), a substance used in vegetable tanning. Notable sources include the leaves of R. coriaria, Chinese gall on R. chinensis, and wood and roots of R. pentaphylla. Leather tanned with sumac is flexible, light in weight, and light in color. One type of leather made with sumac tannins is morocco leather.[10]

The dyeing property of sumac needed to be considered when it was shipped as a fine floury substance in sacks as a light cargo accompanying heavy cargoes such as marble. Sumac was "especially dangerous" to marble. "When sumac dust settles on white marble, the result is not immediately apparent; but if it once becomes wet, or even damp, it becomes a powerful purple dye, which penetrates the marble to an extraordinary depth."[11]

Medicinal use[edit]
    Sumac was used as a treatment for half a dozen different ailments in medieval medicine, primarily in Middle-Eastern countries (where sumac was more readily available than in Europe). An 11th-century shipwreck off the coast of Rhodes, excavated by archeologists in the 1970s, contained commercial quantities of sumac drupes. These could have been intended for use as medicine, as a culinary spice, or as a dye.[12] Staghorn sumac is a powerful antioxidant, with ORAC rating over 1500 μmol TE/g.[13]

Other uses[edit]
    Some beekeepers use dried sumac bobs as a source of fuel for their smokers.[14]

Sumac stems also have a soft pith in the center that is useful in traditional Native American pipemaking. They were commonly used as pipe stems in the northern United States.[15]

Dried sumac wood fluoresces under long-wave ultraviolet radiation.[16]

10. Harper

Blog Posts:
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
    Kacie, ineffableone, NVRDONE and 4 others like this.
  11. Doubles

Doubles Guide

Blog Posts:
    This is scary

Harper likes this.
  12. Black Chrome

Black Chrome Scout

Blog Posts:
    Excellent thread! Keep up the good work. I enjoyed reading the whole thing and learned quite a bit!

Harper likes this.
  13. Harper

Blog Posts:
    NoBrakesRacing likes this.
  14. Foulwind

Foulwind Guide

Blog Posts:
    In the Redwoods, Santa Cruz Mountains, CA.
    Would this forum be the proper place to post pictures of the various containers that people are using to hold everything listed with the posts?

Harper likes this.
  15. Harper

Blog Posts:
    Eventually, I will share some pictures of my heb/spice/med kit. I want to finish the written portion first. I have been dragging my heels lately.

If you have something you want to show, I know that I would like to see it.

thisjohn and Doubles like this.
  16. Harper

Blog Posts:
    Here is a new article on Cayenne and research with respect to cancer:

Chillies could 'cure cancer' after research finds capsaicin kills diseased cells

If you notice in the body of the article, they say:

It sounds like they are already laying the groundwork for both regulation and obscene profits.

If you read upthread, you can see the many other things Cayenne is good for.

NoBrakesRacing and NVRDONE like this.
  17. NoBrakesRacing

NoBrakesRacing Scout

Blog Posts:
    Interesting.
    Since reading this thread I've been taking turmeric with cayenne every morning ( dissolved in water with a cholesterol medicine and soluble fiber) to help with my ibs.
    Have noticed a good change from it, since adding the turmeric and cayenne.

I also like all the other benefits it has, although I have not felt other changes.

NVRDONE and Harper like this.
  18. NoBrakesRacing

NoBrakesRacing Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've also come to really like oil of oregano, specially for colds/sore throat.

Honey has saved me from serious burns. One of hot oil dripping directly on inside of wrist.

Furthermore on turmeric. My wife's 90+ grandfather was having a bad gut infection that was non responsive to antibiotics. He was loosing weight fast which is not good at his age.
    He started taking turmeric with ginger at my sister in laws recommendation and within days was keeping food down and feeling better. He fully recovered from it and lets all his friends know about it.

19. Harper

Blog Posts:
    Turmeric and Cayenne (like Black Pepper) work synergistically. It is better to take them with a meal or a good oil. Turmeric, by itself, does not get absorbed into the body very well--it passes through. But when it latches on to a fat, it stays in the system longer and allows for greater absorption.

Unless levels are off the chart, I have a very low opinion of cholesterol meds. I think they cause a lot of damage to the body--especially the brain. Cholesterol is essential for the brain and for repairing the body. It is kind of like a liquid band-aid for your blood vessels. You might want to look into that a little deeper.

With respect to IBS, a lot of people require digestive enzymes as they age. If you have taken a lot of anti-biotics, that can also screw up your systems. They kill the bad bacteria, but they also kill the good bacteria (which your body needs) as well. You should take a good probiotic if you use or recently used them. Herbal antibiotics are not nearly as bad in this regard. I'm a big fan of diluted Oregano Oil. Dr. Christopher's Lower Bowel Formula can be very helpful for this condition--I always keep some on hand. Red Raspberry Leaf tea, Peppermint, Ginger and a combination of cinnamon/honey/lemon can also be helpful.

NVRDONE and NoBrakesRacing like this.
  20. NoBrakesRacing

NoBrakesRacing Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thank you Harper,
    I need to look more into all of these.

I actually take Colestypol for its secondary effect, which is to slow down the food through the digestive track. Would prefer to not take it but every time I try to ween from it my intestines suffer.
    My regular doctor is not concerned but of course I'm the one taking it. It is not a statin but a bile sequestrant which somehow makes it safer long term.

I do also take a probiotic, which helps too.

May have taken antibiotic once in my life. Now at 40+.

21. NoBrakesRacing

NoBrakesRacing Scout

Blog Posts:
    Harper,
    You've written a good amount about red raspberry leaf tea, is there a brand/place to buy from you prefer?
    Most every grocery store has it, but other than looking for organic, I'm not sure if there are differences.

Thanks

Jv

22. Harper

Blog Posts:

If you haven't already, you should also look at food allergies. Dairy is number one and wheat is a rapidly rising number two because of genetic modification (GM). Try eliminating them one at a time for a couple of weeks and see if it helps. Also, try to eat as organicas possible and avoid artificial sweeteners.

I know somebody who started these, they look pretty good: No-Bloat™ Stops Stomach Bloat & Gas pain.

With respect to RRL Tea, you can get a pound of the raw herb off of Amazon. I usuaaly use Raspberry Zinger from Celestial Seasonings unless it's really important.

23. NoBrakesRacing

NoBrakesRacing Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thank you again.

As a result of my ibs I take very little dairy, and that is now since I'm better, it was pretty much none.
    Wheat in the form of breads etc I do eat, again more than I use to. Being from Spain is difficult not to. I do make my own from organic flour.

Sugars is something I can really tell a difference with and have not been good over the holidays, my wife is a good baker.

Be good

Harper likes this.
  24. Luafcm

Luafcm Scout

Blog Posts:
    Cloves seem to keep mice away from my Dad's camaro. Or at least he thinks they do. They smell nice, so if they repel rodents it might be a good thing to have in a tent.
    Or if you're doing a ham in the woods of course.

Harper likes this.
  25. mtnoutdoors

mtnoutdoors Prov 27:17

Blog Posts:
    I been flowing this for a long time. How do I really get started using stuff like this. Is there a book that will give me more info.
    This page has help an thank you all for what you have put on here.
    Prov 27:17

Harper likes this.
  26. Harper

Blog Posts:
    There are many good books out there. Author's include Mathew Wood, Rosemary Gladstar, etc.

But as a starter book I would begin with the one shown below. It is the primary text for the School of Natural Healing's first, introductory course. It is not too technical and is understandable. You would need to get additional books in the future ( like a good "Herbal" ) which go over individual herbs and ailments.

You could also print out this thread. I try to deal with stuff from a Bushcrafter's as well as from an Herbalist's perspective.

This a good, free, on-line site: Dr. Christopher's Herbal Legacy
    Click on "Herbs" on the pull-down menu on the top. You can then find an indvidual herb or information on an ailment.

[​IMG]

NVRDONE likes this.
  27. Harper

Blog Posts:

In that case, I would take 6 capsules of the aforementioned Lower Bowel Formula, 3 times a day and when there's an episode. I would try that for a couple weeks until things normalize. Then I would step down to 2 capsules, 3 times a day. It is good stuff.

I would also take the digestive enzymes that I cited at meal times.

I would continue with the Turmeric and Cayenne.

I would also drink Red Raspberry Leaf Tea one or more times daily.

It is not as expensive as it sounds.

28. mtnoutdoors

Blog Posts:
    Thank you I will have to look that book up and check out the web page.
    Prov 27:17

Harper likes this.
  29. NoBrakesRacing

NoBrakesRacing Scout

Blog Posts:
    Will look also into this.
    Thank you.

Harper likes this.
  30. Harper

Blog Posts:
    Here is a copy of a newsletter regarding Chilis Peppers from a Master Herbalist who I respect:

HERB THAT LOWERS MORTALITY RATE

[​IMG]

by Herbalist Wendy Wilson

According to recent research published in the January 9, 2017 Journal of Public Library of Science (PLOS) there are additional reasons why we should include chili pepper in our diet. I was made aware of this journal article by one of my newsletter readers and to her I say thank you. This is a significant study and again it proves that our Creator knows what is good for us and has provided for us the nutrition to heal and sustain our bodies. Let’s take a look at one of the amazing herbs God has made.

SPICY HISTORY

Chili peppers have been around thousands of years and often used as a culinary spice often to improve the taste of foods. Before refrigeration food would spoil quickly and spices would be added to mask the unpleasant taste. Spices, such as chili peppers, also have a dual purpose as a medicine and when we read the ancient writings of Hippocrates and Galen we see how they used herbs and observed their benefits. Science has studied many spices to determine that they contain bioactive compounds and in the case of chili peppers they tend to release (or move) the fluids of the body. They have long been known to improve circulation, remove blockages, remove mucous, and inhibit fungus and pathogenic bacteria. Medical science has also documented that chili peppers can offer protection against the following diseases:

• Obesity
    • High cholesterol
    • High blood pressure
    • Type 2 diabetes
    • Various cardiovascular diseases
    Science has discovered that chili peppers contain antioxidants and help reduce inflammation. Of course the ancients already knew that and often would pair chili peppers with ginger (another anti-inflammatory herb) for severe or painful conditions.

THE CHINA RESEARCH

The Asians are huge fans of herbs and spices and according to their analysis, chili pepper offers protection from cancer. They also showed there is protection from other conditions such as; heart disease and respiratory disease. The secret to using such spices is to incorporate them early into the lifestyle before illness develops for greater resistance. Of course some cultures will consume more herbs and spices than others. Cultural studies prove that a significant amount of herbs need to be consistently used for the prevention of disease.

THE STUDY

There has been little scientific evidence in the last hundred years that promotes the life-saving benefit of chili peppers. The study involved the collaborative work from the National Health and Nutritional Examination Survey and this information that sampled US adults from 1988 to 1994. Information from the National Death Index was also used. The question asked was if the consumption of chili peppers lowered the risk of mortality? What they concluded was that those who consumed chili peppers lowered their mortality risk by 12% to 13% over those who did not consume chili peppers. According to this study, of those who consumed more chili peppers were young, white or Mexican-American males, married, who consume alcohol, smoke, eat more vegetables than meat and had lower HDL (bad) cholesterol, were also of the lower income and education brackets. So, according to the research, this segment of the American public who eat chili peppers has a “13% lower hazard of death” compared to those who did not eat chili peppers. This research confirms other research on a different population and was published in the British Medical Journal in August 2015 titled Consumption of Spicy Foods and Total Cause of Specific Mortality. So, the message being promoted by this research is that people have the power to live longer based on lifestyle. This lifestyle includes the medicine they seek. A healthy lifestyle can be undermined by toxic medicines. There is obvious metabolic stimulation in chili peppers that can inhibit the deadly effects of obesity, diabetes and other diseases. The beauty of this natural medicine is you don’t need modern medicine to prescribe you expensive tests or pills with side effects. This is yet another bit of scientific evidence that God did not expect us to need a pharmaceutical industry to be healthy.

VERMONT STUDY

The University of Vermont’s study at Larner College of Medicine regarding the chili pepper and mortality confirmed that eating more peppers lowers mortality.

“Because our study adds to the generalized ability of previous findings, chili peppers, or even spicy food, consumption may become a dietary recommendation and or fuel for further research in the form of clinical trials.” Mustafa Chopan, Medical Student Larner College of Medicine

OTHER BENEFITS

Chili peppers also help protect the digestive tract from ulcers, chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, constipation and other digestive disorders. The peppers are also a help and not a hindrance to other medicinal herbs. Chili peppers are considered “the great catalyst herb.” The peppers improve circulation and act as a transport for the other medicinal herbs around the system. Peppers assist the body in assimilating nutrients to enhance digestion of food. The ancient civilizations of the world that had access to chili peppers (such as Mexico, South America, Africa, West Indies and Europe) used the peppers for a variety of conditions such as:

• Arthritis
    • Female reproduction disorders
    • Infection
    • Heart problems
    • Laxative
    • Diuretic
    • Ulcer
    • Thyroid
    • Purge toxins
    • Respiratory disorders (sinus)
    • Overall tonic
    • Athletic stimulant
    • Wound treatment
    HOW PEPPERS DO THAT

The component in chili peppers and most hot pepper is that it contains:

• Antibacterial oils and alkaloids
    • Counter irritant on mucous membranes
    • Numbs nerve endings of pain
    • Diaphoretic action – removes toxins thru sweat glands and kidneys (urine)
    • Antispasmodic
    • Dilation of capillaries
    • High vitamin A, B and C heals epithelial cells of mucous membranes
    • High zinc for immune system support

(Cont'd.)

NoBrakesRacing and Doubles like this.
  31. Harper

Blog Posts:
    TRADE ROUTES

The trade routes of the ancient world were flush with herbs and spices. In the ancient world such cargo was precious and expensive. According to the Smithsonian Institute, the cultivation and trade of chili peppers goes back thousands of years in the area of the world called the Americas. They claim that their research, were they analyzed starch grains, in order to trace the history of the cultivated chili pepper in America and it predates the invention of pottery. Their findings were published in the February 2007 issue of Science. The Smithsonian states that when European settlers arrived in America that the chili pepper was abundant. If you are into archaeology, the Smithsonian holds the largest collection of microscopic plant remains. According to them, when you sort plant remains at a dig site you can get a timeline of the past. This is how they discovered that the chili peppers were traded like currency as it traveled the world. They could also distinguish the difference between the wild and cultivated peppers due to the starch signature. They also said that where you find cultivated chili peppers you also find corn. This offered an ancient pattern of food and farming practices. The oldest site excavated revealing chili peppers was in Ecuador and as in other sites the ancients also cultivated:

• Arrowroot
    • Leren (type of sweet corn)
    • Yucca
    • Squash
    • Beans
    • Palm fruit
    • Yams
    SOME LIKE IT HOT

For those who like spicy foods the chili pepper is a welcomed taste. According to researchers at the Pennsylvania State University, people with outgoing personalities gravitate to hot spices. Which, according to the Pew Research Center that is about 24% of the US population.

COMPARE & SEE

I often get calls of people comparing my herbal formulas to other brands. On brand in particular is the product people call heart drops. When they try my Heart Formula they understand there is a huge difference in professional strength and average strength formulas. You will find Habanero peppers in some of my formulas because of its high scoville heat offering greater power. Most people can tolerate it especially if they want to cool the hot taste without lowering the potency by placing the dose in juice or water. For very sensitive folks I suggest putting the dose in an empty veggie capsule (found in most health food stores) and make their own gel cap. My formulas containing some hot peppers are:

Not all of these formulas contain a high amount of hot pepper. For more information or to order your life-saving hot pepper herb formulas call Apothecary Herbs 866-229-3663, International 704-885-0277 www.thepowerherbs.com, where your healthcare options just became endless. Call for your free product catalog. Money saving coupons on the website.

Source:

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0169876

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/01/170113133047.htm

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/09/160907125119.htm

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/08/140801213339.htm

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/05/080516112459.htm

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/08/110825164933.htm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2369092/Some-like-hot-Study-shows-direct-link-outgoing-personalities-love-spicy-foods.html

http://www.pewinternet.org/2015/12/11/personality-and-interest-in-science-health-topics/

WindWalker and Doubles like this.
  32. Doubles

Doubles Guide

Blog Posts:
    I love spicy foods, though as I get older, sometimes they disagree with me, in that I'll get a flare-up of heartburn. Milk helps. Guess I'll get a pack goat I can milk trail-side.... :22:

savage99nc and Harper like this.
  33. Harper

Blog Posts:
    Here is more on the results of studies being conducted on Turmeric. Anybody that is dealing with Cancer or heart problems--or knows of somebody who is--should listen to this interview. It deals not only with Turmeric/Curcumin, but also with certain pharmaceutical drugs which are being used in combination and delivering truly amazing results (>90% success rate) with some of the worst typess of cancer.

The interview starts at the 8 minute mark and lasts a little over an hour. You can listen to it in the background as you surf BCUSA.

Here is a summary of the program from the Coast-to-Coast AM website:

Here is a graphic which shows the success rates of Turmeric plus certain medications on live cancer cells (I think he said the images were from MRIs):

[​IMG]

34. Harper

Blog Posts:
    Turmeric--Healing Drink Recipes

Taking capsule is one way to take Turmeric. That's usually what I do. It is the easiest, but not the only way--nor necessarily the best way--to do it. Here is a collection of Healing Drinks that I've put together:

1. Turmeric Tea/Golden Milk:

Ingredients
    • 2 cups of milk of choice (almond, pecan, coconut and dairy all work in this recipe)
    • 1 teaspoon Turmeric or Turmeric Spice Mix (where to get it)
    • ½ teaspoon Cinnamon (where to find it)
    • 1 teaspoon raw honey or maple syrup or to taste (optional)
    • Pinch of black pepper (increases absorption)
    • Tiny piece of fresh, peeled ginger root or ¼ tsp ginger powder
    • Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
    Instructions
    1. First, blend all ingredients in a high speed blender until smooth.
    2. Then, Pour into a small sauce pan and heat for 3-5 minutes over medium heat until hot but not boiling.
    3. Drink immediately
    Notes
    This may stain blenders and counter tops. The color isn't harmful and will eventually fade. Recipe can be halved or doubled if needed.

Alternates:

Dry Trumeric Tea Mix:

If you’d rather not mix up the spices each time, you can easily make a mixture of the spices and just add to warmed milk when ready.
    • 1/2 cup turmeric powder
    • 1/4 cup cinnamon powder
    • 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
    • 1-2 Tablespoons ground ginger
    • 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne (optional)
    Then, just add 2 teaspoons of this mix to 2 cups of milk of choice for a faster recipe.

Golden Paste:
    1/2 cup organic turmeric powder
    1/2 cup clean water (no fluoride)
    1 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    5 Tablespoons virgin coconut oil

In a stainless steel pot cook together: Water, turmeric and black pepper until it forms a thick paste, stir and cook for 7 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and add virgin coconut oil, using a whisk to fully mix in the coconut oil. Finally, transfer to a glass jar with a lid and store in the refrigerator.

Golden Milk:
    1 tsp. Golden Paste
    2 cups Almond Milk or Coconut Milk
    1/8 teaspoon Vanilla (Optional)
    Molasses to taste.
    Pinch cinnamon (Optional)
    In a stainless steel pot-gently heat, but do not boil, milk with 1 teaspoon paste. Use whisk
    Add molasses and vanilla and cinnamon to taste.

https://wellnessmama.com/223/turmeric-tea-recipe/

2. Anti-Inflammatory Turmeric Tea

• 32 oz boiling water
    • ½ Tbsp turmeric powder
    • 1 Tbsp fresh ginger, thinly sliced
    • 1 handful cilantro, chopped
    • 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
    • 1 Tbsp olive oil
    • 2 lemons, juiced
    • 5 peppercorns, whole (if tolerated on AIP)
    • 1 orange, juiced (or substitute 1½ tbsp honey)
    Instructions
    1. Put water on the stove to boil. Combine all ingredients in a strainer or teapot. Pour boiling water into the pot and steep for 10 minutes. Strain and enjoy!

http://autoimmunewellness.com/anti-inflammatory-turmeric-tea/

35. Harper

Blog Posts:
    3. Turmeric Coffee:

Yield: 1 Cup

Ingredients

• 8 ounces strong coffee (brew methods vary the intensity of the coffee)

• 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
      • 3/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
      • 1 tablespoon grass-fed unsalted butter
      • raw honey, to taste (optional)
    Directions

• Brew the coffee with the cinnamon and turmeric.
      • Pour the coffee into a blender along with butter, MCT oil and raw honey (if you'd like). Process until smooth.
      • Pour into a glass and serve.
      • Enjoy!
    https://paleoporn.com/turmeric-coffee/

4. Antioxidant Superfood Hot Chocolate (Paleo)

Serves: 2
    Ingredients

• 1 can full fat coconut milk (where to buy BPA free coconut milk)
    • ½ cup filtered water
    • ⅛ tsp turmeric powder (like this)
    • 3 cardamom pods (like these), crushed
    • ½ tsp grated fresh ginger
    • 1 stick of cinnamon OR ¼ tsp cinnamon powder
    • 2 TBS coconut sugar (like this)
    • pinch of celtic sea salt
    • 2 TBS raw cacao (like this) (or unsweetened cocoa powder)
    • ½ tsp vanilla extract
    Directions
    1. In a medium sauce pan, gently warm coconut milk with water, turmeric, cardamom, ginger, cinnamon, coconut sugar (or honey), and sea salt. Allow to simmer VERY slowly for 10 minutes to let flavors meld.
    2. Remove from heat. Add raw cacao and vanilla extract. Stir to combine.
    3. Strain and serve. ENJOY.
    https://www.savorylotus.com/antioxidant-superfood-hot-chocolate/

5. Turmeric Tonic with Cocnut Water, Ginger and Honey

Ingredients

• 2 cups coconut watr
    • 2 inch knob fresh turmeric (1 oz weighed) OR ½ - 1 teaspoon dried turmeric
    • 1 inch fresh ginger root (about ½ oz weighed)
    • 1 lemon
    • ¼ teaspoon unrefined sea salt
    • 1-2 tablespoons honey
    Instructions
    1. Place coconut water, turmeric and ginger root in a blender and give it a whir.
    2. When the turmeric/ginger is finely shredded, strain the liquid through a fine mesh sieve into a jar.
    3. 3, Add lemon juice, sea salt, and honey to taste. Serve, preferably with a food containing healthy fats and black pepper for enhanced absorption.
    https://www.mommypotamus.com/spring-turmeric-tonic/

6. Turmeric Ginger Limeade (Paleo)

Ingredients

1, 2 inch piece of turmeric peeled and cut into 5 or 6 chunks (you could also use the dried spice about 1 tsp, but I prefer the taste of fresh)
    1, 2 inch piece of ginger peeled and cut into 5 or 6 chunks (you could also use the dried spice about 1 tsp but I prefer the taste of fresh)
    1/2 cup fresh squeezed lime juice (2-4 limes depending on how juicy they are) (you could use lemon as well, it too is super yummy)
    3 T local raw honey
    4 cups + 2 cups of Filtered water

Method
    Place the chopped turmeric and ginger in a pot with 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil. Turn down to low and let simmer 5 min or so. Turn off the heat add the 3 T or honey, stir to combine and let cool. Once cool take out the pieces of ginger and turmeric and pour into whatever you are going to use to store your drink. I use a large canning jar. Add the remaining 2 cups of water and the 1/2 cup of lime juice. Stir and drink right away over ice or store in the refrigerator.

http://www.paleointhedesert.com/tag/paleo-sports-drink/

7. Iced Turmeric & Honey Chai Lattes (gluten-free, grain-free, paleo, vegan friendly)

Ingredients

• For the tea base
    • 3 cups boiling water
    • 2 chai black tea bags
    • 1 tsp ground turmeric
    • Raw honey to taste I use about 3 Tbsp
    • 1/8 tsp sea salt
    • For the milk
    • 2 cups homemade cashew milk or 1/2 cup cashews plus 2 cups water blended in a high-powered blender
    • Extras
    • Ice cubes

Instructions

1. Add the boiling water and chai black tea bags to a glass container. Let steep for a minimum of 15-20 minutes.
    2. Remove the tea bags and while the tea is still warm, whisk in the turmeric, honey and sea salt. Let cool completely or preferably refrigerate overnight.
    3. To serve, pour ¾ cup of the tea base into a glass and top with ¼ to ½ cup cashew milk. This makes 4 lattes using ½ cup cashew milk in each. Add ice cubes and enjoy!
    http://www.ashleighgrange.com/iced-...-gluten-free-grain-free-paleo-vegan-friendly/

36. Harper

Blog Posts:
    8. Raspberry Turmeric Collagen Shake {AIP, GAPS, SCD, Paleo}

You could happily use fresh raspberries and a frozen banana if you prefer, but you may need to adjust the liquid content slightly)
    (makes 2 large or 4 small)

1 cup (120g) frozen raspberries
    1 large banana, peeled and roughly chopped
    1 cup (250ml) coconut milk
    1/2 cup (125ml) filtered water
    1/2 tsp ground turmeric
    2 tbsp collagen hydrolysate
    1 tbsp lemon juice
    pinch salt

Put all ingredients into a high speed blender and whizz until completely smooth, adding a dribble or two of filtered water if you find it too thick. Serve immediately, or watch the colour turn from raspberry to turmeric in front of very eyes!

http://healingfamilyeats.com/raspberry-turmeric-collagen-shake-aip/

9. Cold & Flu Fighting Apple Green Tea Turmeric Tonic

Makes 4 cups

4½ cups purified or spring water

1 large organic Fuji apple—cut into wedges

2 Ceylon cinnamon sticks (good source for cinnamon sticks)

1 teaspoon organic turmeric powder (good source for turmeric) or 2-inch piece of fresh turmeric-peeled and cut into chunks

2 inch piece fresh, peeled ginger—cut into chunks

2 teaspoons organic virgin coconut oil

⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper

⅛ teaspoon black pepper

½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract

2 tablespoons raw honey

2 organic green tea bags

2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

1. Pour water into a saucepan and add apple wedges, cinnamon sticks, turmeric, ginger, coconut oil, cayenne, black pepper, and vanilla. Stir to combine and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.

2. Once mixture comes to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, add green tea bags and stir together. Let tonic simmer for 3-5 minutes longer to allow the tea to steep.

3. After the tea has steeped, remove tea bags and stir in raw honey and lemon juice. Strain tea into a heat proof container and pour into serving cups.

4. Add more honey if you like your tea tonic sweeter. You can also eat the cooked apples and ginger because they are yummy too! Enjoy hot. Tea tonic will last for 1 week if covered and refrigerated.

http://aharmonyhealing.com/cold-flu-fighting-apple-green-tea-turmeric-tonic/

10. Anti-Inflammatory Turmeric Tonic

Serves: 2-3
    Ingredients

• 2 cups coconut water (like this) (or filtered water)
    • 2 tbsp grated fresh turmeric (or ½ to 1 tsp dried turmeric powder)
    • 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
    • juice from 1 lemon or orange
    • 1 medium carrot
    • 1 tbsp raw honey (like this) or real maple syrup (like this)
    • pinch of black pepper
    • Optional: a pinch of cayenne or cinnamon

Place all ingredients into high speed blender and blend until smooth. Drink as is or strain before serving.

https://www.savorylotus.com/anti-inflammatory-turmeric-tonic/

37. Harper

Blog Posts:
    11. Lemon Ginger Morning Detox Drink with Turmeric

Yield: 2 servings

Total Time: 35 minutes

Ingredients:
    • 2-1/2 cups boiling water
    • 1 organic lemon cut into slices (I like the taste of Meyer lemons best)
    • 1 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
    • 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
    • 2 teaspoons honey (optional)
    Directions:
    1. Bring the water to a boil.
    2. Turm the heat off and add the lemon, ginger and turmeric.
    3. Let steep for 30 minutes.
    4. Strain and drink at room temperature or reheat (but don't bring to a boil).

http://www.theharvestkitchen.com/lemon-ginger-morning-detox-drink/

12. Fire Cider

Ingredients

• 1 large horseradish root scrubbed very well, about 7 inches long
    • 1 large ginger root about 7 inches long
    • 1 large onion root and stem end removed and peeled
    • 1 large orange
    • 1 lemon
    • 16 cloves of garlic peeled
    • 2-4 habanero peppers stems removed
    • 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
    • raw apple cider vinegar
    • raw honey

Instructions

1. Grate the horseradish and ginger roots. Roughly chop the onions, orange, lemon, garlic, and habanero peppers. Stuff them into a half-gallon glass jar with a tight fitting lid or divide evenly between two quart sized canning jars. Sprinkle the turmeric in on top (dividing evenly between the two jars if using quart jars). Pour the raw apple cider vinegar in over the contents, allowing it to settle in through the crevices and adding more so that the contents are submerged. Lay a piece of parchment paper over the rim of the jar, then screw the lid tightly in place. Let the mixture sit in a dark, cool place, allowing it to marry and infuse for 4 weeks, shaking once daily.
    2. After 4 weeks, pour the contents into a muslin or cheesecloth lined colander positioned over a stable pot. Let it drain for 30 minutes, then gather the corners of the cloth, twisting and squeezing until you cannot release any more liquid. When it's fully strained, add honey to the liquid to taste and pour into a sterilized wine bottle or canning jar. Store in a cool, dark place for up to a year, shaking well before using.
    http://www.foodiewithfamily.com/fire-cider-health-tonic-and-homeopathic-remedy/

13. Superfood Hot Chocolate With Coconut Oil, Maca + Turmeric

Serves 2

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup almond milk + 1/2 cup water, warmed on stovetop
    • 1 tablespoon coconut oil
    • 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder
    • 1/2 teaspoon raw maca powder
    • 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
    • 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup
    • 3 dashes cinnamon
    • cayenne + sea salt, pinch of each

Preparation

Add all ingredients to blender. Blend well and enjoy!

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-17187/superfood-hot-chocolate-with-coconut-oil-maca-turmeric.html

Medicine maker likes this.
  38. Harper

Blog Posts:
    14. Turmeric Pick-Me-Up

A powerful anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant drink that also acts as a pick-me-up, giving you a boost of energy.
    Course: Drinks and Smoothies
    Servings: 1 cup
    Author: Flavour & Savour
    Ingredients

• 1 cup coconut water
    • 1 inch knob of fresh ginger, peeled
    • 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
    • 1/4 cup lemon juice
    • 1 tbsp honey
    • pinch of sea salt
    • pinch of black pepper
    Instructions
    1. Blend all ingredients in a high-speed blender. Strain if desired.
    2. Serve with a stir stick and a straw. Add ice to make a refreshing cold drink.
    https://www.flavourandsavour.com/turmeric-pick-me-up/

15. Turmeric Tomato Detox Soup

Serves: 2

Ingredients

• 5 oz cherry tomatoes, rinsed and cut in halves
    • 1 can diced tomatoes with their sauce
    • ½ cup low-sodium vegetable stock
    • 1 small onion, finely diced
    • 2 garlic cloves, minced
    • 2 tsp turmeric powder
    • 1 tsp coconut oil
    • ½ tsp sea salt
    • 1 tsp dried basil
    • 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
    • Freshly ground black pepper
    • Mixed seeds and nuts, to garnish

Instructions

1. Heat the coconut oil in a sauce pan and fry the onion and garlic for one minute.
    2. Add turmeric and cherry tomatoes, and cook until the tomatoes softens and leave their juices.
    3. Add the tomato can, vegetable stock, apple cider vinegar and basil, bring to boil, cover with a lid and let simmer for five minutes.
    4. Transfer into the blender and pulse to obtain a creamy liquid.
    5. Season with salt and pepper and serve garnished with mixed seeds and nuts.
    http://detoxdiy.com/turmeric-tomato-detox-soup

16. No Flu Tea

Ingredients

Directions

Bring all items except the garlic together in a saucepan and bring to a low simmer for about 5-7 minutes. Strain through a strainer and add in the garlic once the ‘tea’ has cooled down to the touch.

http://www.homemademommy.net/2013/01/no-flu-tea.html

39. Bitterroot Native

Bitterroot Native Indigenous Skills Junkie

Blog Posts:
    Not sure if this has been mentioned already but black pepper has two good uses. First off it's one of my favorite spices and tastes good on everything just about. Secondly rubbing freshly killed wild game with pepper helps keep the flies off of it. This is very important during "early season" archery here out west where it's hot and dry and you're hunting during the heart of summer packing large game through the mountains. Trick my dad taught me, not sure if it's common knowledge or not but it seems to work and doesn't appear to be an old wives tale (wise tale or wives tale?).

NoBrakesRacing and Harper like this.
  40. Harper

Blog Posts:
    Below, are a couple of sourced articles that discuss the anti-viral propereties of Turmeric.

Here is an interesting quote from the first one:
    http://www.prohealth.com/library/showarticle.cfm?libid=30191

https://www.realnatural.org/curcumin-from-turmeric-inhibits-zika-hiv-herpes-other-viruses/

41. Hiker

Hiker Scout

Blog Posts:
    I use Turmeric in a powdered form with my other seasonings such as a Turmeric, Cajan pepper and Lawry's season salt mixed together. For Turmeric to have these abilities how much would you need to ingest?

Harper likes this.
  42. mtnoutdoors

Blog Posts:
    I found this book this week at a 2 hand store it really a good read so far... The Herbal Drugstore The Best Natural Alternatives to Over the Counter and Prescription Medicines! By: Linda B. White, M.D., Steven Foster Just like to let you all know about it. Prov 27:17

Harper likes this.
  43. Harper

Blog Posts:

To get the health benefits from Turmeric, you would probably have to take it three times a day at least. There is no "time release" with Turmeric like some modern drugs. This probably makes capsule form the most convenient way to take Turmeric--you wouldn't want to put it on every meal. Turmeric, while good for you, doesn't stay in your system very long--it gets excreted. That it is why it is important to take a little more than you think you need and to take it with a meal (or healthy oil) so that it can latch onto fat molecules which allows it to stay in your system longer (and thus provide additional time for absorption).

I, personally, take 4 caps of 500mg of Turmeric + Curcumin, 3 times/day (more if I'm sore or injured). I should say that I work out heavy six days a week. I haven' t needed an asprin, Tylenol, etc. for at least 10 years (with the exception of when I had oral surgery where the dentist insisted I take some super prescription stuff).

The more I study and use Turmeric, the more impressed with it I get.

Do your due diligence. People with a tendency for certain types of kidney stones have to be cautious.

I hope this helps.

thisjohn and Hiker like this.
  44. Harper

Blog Posts:
    Since I spoke about the use of Cayenne for frostbite earlier in this thread, I thought that I would link to this short article. It deals with an historical herbalist and a modern herbalist who used Cayenne to prevent amputation. The modern herbalist used Cayenne ointment which you can get for under $15. Generally speaking, however, you shouldn't rub frost bitten areas--I wished that they had emphasized that in the article. When Cayenne is applied externally, it "draws" blood into the area. That blood brings life back into the tissue. When taken internally, Cayenne promotes overall circulation. It can also stop a wound from bleeding out like Quick Clot (it will feel like it is burning though). Cayenne is one of those "smart herbs."

For me personally, I know that I would try Cayenne before amputation.

Cayenne is a good herb to carry.

http://herballegacy.com/Priddy Meeks.pdf

45. mtnoutdoors

Blog Posts:
    thank you for the info brother. Prov 27:17

Medicine maker and Harper like this.
  46. Canajun

Canajun Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    An embarrassingly belated thank you for your post and for sharing your knowledge.

As a shared update: I am still taking cayenne daily as well as turmeric. I use turmeric a LOT. I take it in capsule form daily. I cook with it at least a couple of times a week (a teaspoon in my rice as it's cooking and of course it goes in the curry, too), and I use it to whiten my teeth. It's great stuff and petty cheap. A year ago I was getting daily heart arrhythmia. Now, hardly at all.

Plus, since the end of Feb '17, I am off dairy and caffeine, and have vastly reduced my sugar and salt intake (no white sugar at all and no added salt), and reduced my my wheat intake (very little baked stuff). Result? My 10 y/o sinus problem has cleared up completely, my irritable bowel syndrome (which I have had since a teenager) has gone altogether, and my arthritis has improved tremendously. Funny thing is, I don't miss any of the things I've stopped eating or reduced intake of. Even cheese!

Thank goodness bacon is so good for me! Where would I be without that? :)

47. Harper

Blog Posts:

That's great news! Really. I'm also glad to hear that you are not missing the foods.

Thank you for sharing your experience. It helps others realize that they, too, can take their health back. A lot of the chronic diseases really are diet/lifestyle related in one way or another.

Cayenne (and black pepper) helps the body absorb turmeric better. So does taking it with a meal.

Magnesium could help get rid of the rest of that heart arrhythmia. If you get blood work done, ask the doctor to check your magnesium level.

Celtic Sea Salt is a heart-friendly salt with a number of essential minerals in it. If you need salt, this is a good one to use.

As far as bacon, well, at least try to get the kind without nitrates (one of the top cancer causing things you should stay away from).

Again, this great news.

48. Canajun

Canajun Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Thanks, my friend. Your depth of knowledge and encouragement never fails to astound me. Thanks as always for sharing and helping.

Yep, major black pepper freak here. We use it (and lots of it) on just about everything from eggs to meat to salad, to. . .everything. Well, almost. I know a guy who puts it on his porridge, but I draw the line there.

Elephant garlic, too. Pungent stuff. Stinks my truck up by the time I get home from the farmers market. Huge, too. One clove is the size of a regular entire garlic bulb. SO tasty!

Yes, we have sea salt in the house (not sure if it's the Celtic variety). I don't use it. We've got that pink Himalayan stuff, too. Supposed to be better than regular salt. Doesn't matter...I don't use it.

Magnesium. . .do bananas count? I eat one or two a day.

Bacon: I was just kidding. As sad as it is to have to say it. . .I've severely reduced my processed meat intake. I'm buying stuff from the farms as often as possible. We've had some great lamb and chicken lately. Tastes like it should and isn't full of water.

I've been really enjoying my salads, especially in this hot weather. Top of the salad list are avocados, tomatoes, and red and orange pepper. I love dipping slices of pepper into my hummus. Having said that, both tomatoes and peppers are members of the nightshade family and I know there can be issues (esp regarding inflammation - arthritis-related). What's your understanding of this?

49. Medicine maker

Medicine maker Guide

Blog Posts:
    5 years now. Havent used a drop of alcohol or that poison pharmacy neosporin or whatever else. Cayenne for everything. Tired of everyone whining about the burn, deal with it. The rest of the kit of just honey and cinnamon. All for clotting and antiseptic.

Canajun and Harper like this.
  50. mtnoutdoors

Blog Posts:
    What books to you use to get your info from I would love to live like that. I just had neck surgery and I did not like how the pain meds made me fell. I like to say thank you to all of you for all this info it helps a lot. Prov 27:17

Harper likes this.