Spoon Carvers?

Discussion in 'Other Skills' started by BC-Medic, Aug 30, 2018.

1. BC-Medic

BC-Medic Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Just bought my first hook knife I started to rough out a spoon from Applewood I have the shape traced with a black Magic Marker. Anybody have any pointers or any good tutorials they can point me towards on the best way to actually carve a spoon? Also, the Applewood that I have is still pretty green I caught it about a month ago, and I split it down today it's still pretty wet inside. What few videos I've seen on YouTube people talk about green versus dry, I know the would probably should not be seasoned, I did not really get into the bowl much today but I was dying to try the knife out and I did it did not seem to be taking off as much as I thought it would should would be dryer? Any help would be appreciated.

2. Zunga

Zunga Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    wet is Probaly easier on your blade and elbow. it wouldn't hurt to have a common table spoon nearby. many first timers make bowls deeper than needed. the crank or downward slope from handle to bowl is important to ease of use. I use gouges so can't advise in hook knife technique. but I would think slow and steady still applies. have fun and watch your fingers! :dblthumb:
    Cheers Jim

Edit. I forgot to mention a good (doesn't mean expensive) wood rasp is a big work saver. a 10 inch half round is typically $15 or under. some prefer a straight blade and shaving for the same tasks. i use it to thin a bowl and handle once its roughly shaped. the rasp moves a lot of wood quickly. to much pressure leaves deep tooth marks. which means a lot of sanding. I think a straight blade would allow for the rough look much better. the round side helps with getting rounded tapers roughed out.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
  3. HannahT

HannahT Firebug Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    If you want something dryer to work with until your wood dries out a little @T. Pollock sells some nice spoon blanks. I think the video I saw that helped me on a super-beginner level was from Coalcracker Bushcraft. He explained some of the stuff that everybody else seemed to know but I didn't :)

T. Pollock, Bobsdock and Zunga like this.
  4. Bobsdock

Bobsdock Still going Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Wood carves easier when it is green brother. The spoon knife takes some getting used to. The first few cuts hollowing out the bowl won't take much but as the bowl forums it will take more out with each stroke. I use mine like an ice cream scoop taking out potato chip shaped wood chips.

Carabnr, BradGad, renter6 and 2 others like this.
  5. BC-Medic

BC-Medic Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    That's the way I understood it....but it's not working well.....the vids I have watched.....man they make it seem easy....it 10 20 seconds they already have a bowl formed....

Carabnr, T. Pollock and Bobsdock like this.
  6. Bobsdock

Bobsdock Still going Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yes sir they do.
    But they also have years of practice. And they are probably carving birch.
    Apple wood is a hardwood. Take your time it's not a race there's no hurry. Keep a spoon close by for reference.
    Then carve away anything that doesn't look like a spoon. :4:
    You will do fine brother ! Yes there will be mistakes made and even a few disasters but it's all part of the learning process. Keep carving you will get better. ENJOY !

There are endless YouTube vids about spoon carving. Sorry I can't recommend anyone.

Carabnr, BradGad and T. Pollock like this.
  7. tristndad

tristndad Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Applewood is a very hard wood to begin with. When I carve any hardwoods, I keep a bucket of water near me. I frequently dip the wood into the water, it helps soften the outside layer and will give you a smoother cut.

Number one rule is patients, Rome was not built in a day!

HannahT and colter like this.
  8. OrdinarySpring

OrdinarySpring Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Carabnr and Bobsdock like this.
  9. BradGad

BradGad Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    69B12775-501E-4034-8C24-1BDD0759C321.jpeg

Green wood is generally preferable.

The most valuable tip for working with green wood I have picked up is, while you’re making something and even for the first day or two after you make it, keep it in a ziplock with a bit of damp rag when you are not working on it. There are a number of times I’ve started something like a spoon, and then when I come back to finish it or keep going the next day, small cracks have developed as the wood dries out... and small cracks grow into big cracks. If you keep it in a ziplock, with some damp cloth at first and later just the ziplock, no cloth, you slow the drying process, and the wood has time to adjust as it dries and shrinks... no cracking.

That’s a specific tip... two more fundamental points...

1) Go slow, be patient, and enjoy it. Think of making your spoon or whatever as an activity to be enjoyed for itself rather than a project to be accomplished. Not only does this make working with wood more enjoyable, but — I’m convinced from my own experience — you also work more safely and end up with a better product.

2) This is really fundamental and important, and applies for any type of carving or material... Only work along one axis at a time. Look at your piece from the top to identify swells and asymmetries you want to address by removing material, and only work on that for a few minutes... don’t skip around. Then, rotate the piece and look at the same area from the side, again looking for swells and asymmetries to address. Work on that and that only. Then look at it from the end.

You want to change axes fairly frequently — don’t do everything you want to when looking at it from the top and then switch to the side, because then you often end up needing to remove something that will affect your earlier work — but when you are working on a bit or section, only work along one axis at a time.

I get best results when I pick a particular area — like the back third of the bowl — look at it from the top, take away bulges and balance out asymmetries for a couple minutes, then look at the back third of the bowl from the side, work on that for a couple minutes, then look at it from the front or back and work on that for a couple minutes. Then, do the same thing with the middle of the bowl... then with the front of the bowl. Etc.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    Bobsdock likes this.
  10. Carabnr

Carabnr Guide

Blog Posts:
    @BC-Medic How's the spoon coming along? Apple wood is tough, but the spoons are super fine. If you got a Mora knife hooked blade, that may be the problem. There's something about the geometry that isn't happening. When I use a spoon knife, I scoop up carefully across the grain, and later after it dries I go more down the grain with a push from my cupped left index finger. Gives better control.

Spoons are so much fun!

Bobsdock likes this.