Spoon carving season is here

Discussion in 'Other Skills' started by OiMcCoy, Nov 16, 2018.

1. OiMcCoy

OiMcCoy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    As the days get shorter and the time spent next to a fire gets longer, it is a great time to work on those carving skills.

I am getting the chance to lead a spoon carving program for over 80 students early next year. As such I figure I should make some more example spoons. So I just finished carving this coffee scooper out of basswood with my Mora Classic No2 and Mora hook knife.
    [​IMG]

2. burlybear

burlybear Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Nice spoon I really need to brush up on my whittling.

3. OiMcCoy

OiMcCoy Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Was out last night and got to do a quick spoon and coal burn. I grabbed loads of photos so I can make a how to guide for other instructors who are less familiar with spoon carving.

I hope this spoon will be a great teaching tool .[​IMG]

4. Knifeguy510

Knifeguy510 Scout

Blog Posts:
    My first attempt at spoon carving. I have a mora 1/0 and a Bever craft spoon knife. Also my hatchet to take the piece I started with down to a workable size first. Hopefully im going to get a gransfors brux wildlife hatchet for xmas. My wife doesent work so its all on me once I know that my son and her gifts are all taken care of if I can swing it ill give her the money to buy it for me lol! Fingers crossed id really like to get that hatchet. Although fiskers hatchet did a wonderfull job thats a great little axe for the money no complaints . I have somebnicebred ceader but am not sure if i can use it for spoons?

5. Knifeguy510

Knifeguy510 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Id forgot to add the photo 20181122_090105_Film3.jpg

6. wisconsinwalter

wisconsinwalter Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
  7. mjh

mjh Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Kind of amusing.....I spoon carve and work wood in the warmer months......don't have heated indoor workshop space....carving in the kitchen frowned upon, in the insulated porch no room, in the man space--I've done it but really not a good place...the garage is a disaster zone (otherwise I could heat it a little)......we've been consistently at 0 degress C or lower for a while and it'll only get colder for the next few months.....when the warmth returns I can carve outside....

Beach Hiker and buckfynn like this.