SPR .308 Scope recommendations...

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by WILL, Nov 29, 2017.

1. nac82xx

nac82xx Tracker

Blog Posts:
    You have a decision to make Will.
    You can decide from what is easy and what is right.
    Perhaps I must admit that those selecting what is easy always end up being carnage to those that walked the path of righteousness!
    But it has been, and always shall be your ability to think and reason that carried you above simple lower life critters.
    Choose Wisely, for it's not by my determination that you have chosen!
    Can you honestly direct the entire course of humanity?

2. Doublegunner

Doublegunner Scout

Blog Posts:
    My opinion on this matter comes from some experience in dealing with different types of scopes of varying quality with differing ranging systems. My range goes out to 540 yards and I regularly shoot at that distance. With that in mind and the fact that you want to use this for hunting
    I am going to suggest that you take a look at the Leupold VX3 3.5 x10x40 with the CDS dial. That scope comes in under your $600 limit and will do what you need. You could also consider the 4.5x14 power as well. some things to keep in mind when choosing the right scope simply beyond price are magnification, field of view, ranging ability and optical clarity. In my experience you generally get what you pay for when it comes to scopes. you can now buy a rifle that easily shoots under an inch with a good trigger for less than $300 but I haven't found that to be the case with scopes unless you happen to stumble upon some heavily discounted items. Also, less expensive scopes are generally not great when they are high magnification. The high magnification seems to "magnify" all of the faults with the scope. Also, with hunting, you want the scope to go down to a fairly low power so you can take close in shots as well as being capable for the long shots. For example, last year I shot my deer at a laser measured 490 yards with a .270 with a vx3 3.5x10 with a CDS dial. this year I shot an elk at 250 yards with an 30-06 with a VX 6 2x12 with CDS dial and a deer at 25 yards with a 6.5 Creedmoor with a 4x12 Vortex Viper with BDC scope reticle. You want to be able to make the short shots as well and that is really hard if your scope if too powerful. Now, as for ranging ability, I really like the CDS dials. I have three rifles with them and I have found that the systems works really well and is consistent. I have other ranging reticles like the Viper BDC and a Leupold 2.5x8 with a Boone and Crockett reticle as well as a Nikko Sterling with Mil Dot reticle. I also have many with simple duplex reticles as well. The ranging reticles work and are worth the cost in my opinion but most top out at about 550 yards with a sight in at 200 yards. This is fine for almost all hunting applications so I don't consider it a hindrance. Most only work at max magnification though. If you want to move out past that range you will most likely need to move to a different reticle like a Mil Dot or some other similar type of reticle. the CDS dials on my rifles when sighted in at 100 yds top out between 650 and 700. With a sight in at 200 yds they will top out at past 700 yds. Leupold will give you one free dial with the purchase of the new scope matched to your load. That is a plus and a minus as you will need to get a new dial if you want to change loads in most instances. the CDS dials work at any magnification and you get a cleaner sight picture with a simple duplex reticle. In contrast, a Mil-Dot reticle will work with every load, you just need to do the math. The quality of the VX3 line is good in my opinion and represents a good starting point for a quality scope. Is it as good as my Swarovski, VX6 or Leica? Nope, but for the money it's a good scope with good clarity and features that work and won't break the bank. Good Luck.

WILL likes this.
  3. WILL

WILL Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks everyone. I've decided to go with the Primary Arms 1x8 ACSS for my rifle. Here's a video that explains why....

My bad for mistitling the thread. I should have been asking for the best DMR scope for my AR10 build. For my philosophy of use, this scope really fills the bill perfectly. This has been, and probably will continue to be a learning process for me.

I wish Primary Arms made a mid range priced scope between their regular and platinum model that has better glass and the ACSS reticle. Since no one does, I'll be getting the regular model. The platinum is too expensive and heavy.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    MontanaMarine and ra2bach like this.
  4. ra2bach

ra2bach Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    nice. these work very well for a lot folks. let us know what you think once you get a few rounds down range...

WILL likes this.
  5. WoodGnome

WoodGnome Woodgnome Supporter

Blog Posts:
    As I said, buy it used. You can get new ones in sales and special offers for about 1000 $. A used one should be pretty close to what you had in mind originally...

6. Saddleburr

Saddleburr Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    First, I would research the M&P 10 to make sure it is not a proprietary system.

Second, my owning and use of Nightforce NXS Optics has left me with a highly favorable opinion of NF. I also own and use a SWFA SS 10x. I can recommend both for clarity and precision adjustment and repeatability. Two different optics and price points. The NF is the better optic, the SWFA SS very good and $1400 less.

Third, I recommend Seekins Precision rings they are superb.

Finally, on an AR308 I would put the SWFA SS 10x in the Seekins rings and spend the rest of my money on Federal Goldmedal match ammunition and ring that thing out. When you can see every bullet impact at all ranges in your optic, you will be ready to think about upgrading to a more precise system. It won’t be you or the optic at that point.

WILL likes this.
  7. WILL

WILL Scout

Blog Posts:

I've heavily researched the M&P 10, and so far as I can tell, they're critically acclaimed despite having a few proprietary parts. Why would that be a deal breaker for you?

P.S. I've decided to go with the Primary Arms 1x8 ACSS for my rifle.

8. Saddleburr

Saddleburr Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    For me, an entry level platform that is easily upgradeable is key. I had read that the M&P10 was somewhat limited in this area due to proprietary design. Just wanted to make you aware of the possible limitations.

Your satisfaction with your selection of platform is what is important. Enjoy developing your shooting skills and make every shot your best each time you are behind the gun.

WILL likes this.
  9. justinspicher

justinspicher Scout

Blog Posts:
    Now that you’ve made a decision, the hard part is waiting for it to get here!

WILL likes this.
  10. WILL

WILL Scout

Blog Posts:
    Update-
    Here's the final set-up...
    IMG_2095.JPG
    What didn't go exactly as planned-
    First, the ambi-safety that comes on the M&P 10 raked my right knuckle. Strait away, I swapped it out for a standard DMPS safety for $10. It fits and functions like a charm. The stock was loose and wobbly right from the factory. My buddy had a stock wrench, so I tightened and lock-tightened the loose buffer tube. I put a bit of velcro tape under the sliding stock to take the wobble out of it. The M&P is now done.
    The Primary Arms 1x8 ACSS has a small eye box. To get it where I had a clear sight picture, but didn't have to crane my neck forward, and could still mount some BUISs on the rifle under the scope, I had to reverse my one piece rail. It looks like I don't know what I'm doing, but it's that way on purpose.
    I took it to the range today. I was using hand loaded 168 grain Hornady match king over Vargat. It quickly and easily zero'd at 100 yards. Real tight 1" groups. I wish I had pictures to share, but I didn't take any. The 600 yard range was closed today, so the furthest I could shoot was on the 300.
    Using the 300 yard aiming point on the reticle, I was easily banging a 12" gong repeatedly at that distance from a bench using a rest. The range master asked if I wanted to qualify for the 600 yard range? I was confused. He explained that I had to shoot a 6" 5 shot group on a fresh target with no misses. If I had a flier, I had to start over with a new 6" target which meant waiting 20 minutes for the range to cycle clear and buying another $1 target. He said if I qualified today, I'd get a 600 yard range card and could just head right to the 600 yard range next time. I was like, "OK, let's do this!"
    I nailed a 4" group covering the x ring on my first try. I'm giving credit to the Primary Arms scope & M&P. The Primary Arms 300 yard hold over mark was exactly where it needed to be and that M&P is a shooter! All I had to do was hold that aim point steady on the target and pull the trigger. BTW, best AR15 stock trigger I've ever fired. Not a match trigger my any means, but the finest combat trigger I've ever felt.
    The Primary Arms glass isn't the best. There's a little edge fog/ distortion at 1x power, but the eye box is pretty forgiving. At 8x power, the eye box isn't forgiving, but the picture is OK. I won't say great clarity, just good enough. You're really paying for the reticle, which has turned out to be top notch so far. I can't overstate how happy I am with my choice right now, rifle and scope. This set up is making me a better longer-range shooter than I actually am.
    I got home and lock tighted the entire set-up down. I'll head out there again soon and try out the 600 yard range. I'm really looking forward to seeing if the reticle is on at 600 and how my rifle does at that range. I'll bring a camera next time.

LFowler, 62flint and Park Swan like this.
  11. RJM52

RJM52 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Glad it all worked out pretty well for you... Looks like a great rig and apparently shoots well for you....

With most of these reticles I usually use one of the mid-range strata as my "absolute zero" point. Depending on your reticle and load the bullet is never going to hit right on at every range. So what I try and figure out is where on the scale works best for the ranges I'm going to shoot most.

If the load is zeroed at 100 and 18" low at 800 by making the bullet strike 2" high at 100 will make it only 2" low at 800.... I usually use the 300 or 400 strata as my zero point and have no problem putting a bullet on target out past 600 yards....

Just have to get to know your rifle/scope/load....

Bob

WILL likes this.
  12. 62flint

62flint Scout

Blog Posts:
    You have a low powered variable, so no need for BUIS. I had to look at PA's site and it appears the reticle is pretty simple, yet has ranging capability and illumination; simpler is better when in a stressful situation... You're happy with the trigger, so I would swap out that floppy buttstock with something more secure and call it good. Spend your $ on more ammo and range time rather than a bunch of useless farkles.

WILL likes this.
  13. WILL

WILL Scout

Blog Posts:
    I already taped the key to remove the scope into the stock. You can see it in the picture. I won't own a rifle that doesn't have iron sights on it. In my experience, technology will always fail at the worst possible time.

Thanks, that sounds like great advice.