Spring Foraging... Post it up!!!!

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Gathering' started by IA Woodsman, Apr 20, 2016.

1. NWPrimate

NWPrimate Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Coltsfoot is popping up now. This is one of those plant names that gets applied to a lot of different species depending on region, so for specificity, this is Petasites frigidus. I have been aware of this plant for a long time, but didn't realize it was edible until it was too late last year.

[​IMG]

According to my books, the stems are good cooked, and the leaves can be eaten raw or cooked like spinach. Being the first time I've consumed this plant, I just chewed up a couple of small leaves to make sure I didn't have a reaction to it.

[​IMG]

It's been a few hours and no issues yet, so I'll be experimenting with this one this season.

2. NWPrimate

Blog Posts:
    I saw these little horsetail sprouts coming up along the waters edge.

[​IMG]

I remembered from one of my edible plants books that you can eat these when they are young, but I couldn't remember the specifics. I took a little nibble and it didn't have much flavor, but it was tender, so I gathered up a little pile with the intent of throwing them into a salad with dinner.

[​IMG]

I didn't have the book with me in the woods, but checked it when I got home and apparently these are best harvested when they are a little bit bigger, as they have a tougher outer layer that is supposed to be peeled. The ones I gathered were just too small to peel, so I'll have to try again. It also says that they are better cooked than raw and may be toxic in large quantities, so this isn't something that you want to eat a lot of.

I also spotted what I believe to be some sort of dock. I've always called this Sour Dock (Rumex crispus?), but I'm not positive on the ID, so I haven't tried eating it yet. It looks different from a lot of the photos I see online. Are any of you able to confidently ID this one?

[​IMG]

From what I have read, sour dock is very high in oxalic acid and should be cooked before eating to break some of that down.

3. Badey

Badey Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    @NWPrimate that last photo looks like Bitter Dock (Rumex obtusifolius).

Sam Thayer seems to indicate that all Rumex are edible (although some are less tasty than others) - his book Nature's Garden has a nice section on Rumex (which is where I referenced to take a semi-educated stab at the "dock" in your picture).

4. NWPrimate

Blog Posts:
    Thanks @Badey ... you might be right. Bitter dock doesn't sound all that appealing, but who knows. :)

rsnurkle and Badey like this.
  5. Turtle Creek

Turtle Creek Scout

Blog Posts:
    only 1 morel .....
    [​IMG]
    It's like ordering one little chicken wing. Hopefully more to come soon.

6. chris67

chris67 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Wild asparagus

[​IMG]

Wild hyacinth

[​IMG]

Hedge hog cactus

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Miners lettuce

[​IMG]

Chickweed

[​IMG]

Christmas cholla

[​IMG]

Manzanita flowers steeped in cold water for 24 hours makes nice sweet drink

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. chris67

Blog Posts:
    Prickly pear

[​IMG]

Wild rhubarb

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Bitterroot Native

Bitterroot Native Guide

Blog Posts:
    @chris67 nice work! Looks like plenty to forage in your neck of the woods. I was eating some manzanita flowers a couple days ago, the ones here just started to form and are a tad bit smaller but man are they tasty!

@NWPrimate how were the horsetail shoots? Did you cook them or eat them raw? I have been wanting to try them but the silica content makes me wonder. I would imagine the younger ones would be much more tender and with less silica.

The larger more mature plants have a lot of silica in them which will grind your teeth down if eaten enough over a period of time. I actually rub the adult shoots on bone to sharpen and grind tools with.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  9. NWPrimate

Blog Posts:
    The one I tasted was nice and tender without any noticeable grittiness. I didn't end up eating the rest of them after realizing there was no easy way to peel them due to their size. There were lots of larger ones that would be more ideal that I passed up in favor of those little tiny ones though, so I'll try again soon. I'll mention again that these are not something you would want to eat a lot of, as in addition to the silica they have other compounds that can be harmful in large doses.

10. Badey

Blog Posts:
    I decided to take a few minutes to put the skills I learned yesterday into practice today.

I ate a Common Blue Violet (it was the only one I could find on my property).

image.jpeg

I found some Garlic Mustard and ate a stalk. It was way less bitter than the leaves, but it was a little stringy.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

I found some kind of mint sprout (not sure what species yet, but it has a square stem, and smells strongly of mint when the leaves are crushed, so it is definitely a mint).

I'm going to wait until I can ID the species of this mint before I use it, but I'll be keeping my eye on it.

image.jpeg

11. IA Woodsman

IA Woodsman Overwatch Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator Vendor Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    Picked some very tender Wood Nettles the other day. Sauteed them up with Garlic Mustard stems, a few Ramps, and butter.

[​IMG]

12. City Bushcrafter

City Bushcrafter BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Some city foraging...Surinam cherries. The trees are used as hedges around my neighborhood. Neighbors look at me weird when I pick and eat them.

IMG_20170418_102942620_HDR.jpg IMG_20170418_102824364_HDR~2.jpg

13. IA Woodsman

IA Woodsman Overwatch Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator Vendor Bushclass Instructor

Blog Posts:
    Pheasant Back mushrooms are out in force.

[​IMG]

14. dmangler

dmangler Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Found last night at my super secret fishing spot. Same spot ever year without fail.

Attached Files:

15. chris67

Blog Posts:
    Siberian elm samara with wild asparagus, dandelion fritters, pickled green beans, and eggs from my buddies chickens

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Forestree

Forestree Supporter Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Huckleberries are starting to ripen up

[​IMG]Huckleberries by Tom Roo, on Flickr

And dewberries

[​IMG]Dewberries by Tom Roo, on Flickr

Stopped by and dug some garlic at my secret spot where an old homestead used to be

[​IMG]Garlic by Tom Roo, on Flickr

Several different types on interesting plants here right off the road under the shade of some big old live oaks. There is a blanket of violet wood sorrel here. This picture is as close as I'll get to disclosing any information on this spot, haha :D

[​IMG]Untitled by Tom Roo, on Flickr

17. Forestree

Blog Posts:
    Well funny enough that I just posted up in here and went on an evening walk to find the first chanterelles of the year! Picked some babies to have for a snack tonight....oh how I've missed you tasty mushrooms :D

[​IMG]Chanterelles by Tom Roo, on Flickr

18. NWPrimate

Blog Posts:
    I did a little foraging while I was out playing this afternoon.

Earlier in this thread, I posted about these little salmonberry shoots, but they were just barely popping up then. At that point, you have the eat the leaves if you want to get anything out of them, but they're really coming along now.

[​IMG]

Once they get to this size, you can actually start eating the shoots which are much better. You can see they're starting to grow little tiny thorns.

[​IMG]

You can peel those off with the outer layer, and the inside is crisp and tender.

[​IMG]

There are nettles everywhere and they are getting tall fast. There were enough of them that I was able to be picky and just take the new tops.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I cooked them up in some butter until they were just past wilted like you would if you were using spinach.

[​IMG]

They came out really good! :)

[​IMG]

I also gathered some new wild strawberry leaves for tea.

[​IMG]

It was kind of bland, so I may try crushing them up first next time.

[​IMG]

19. riverjoe

riverjoe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Morels finally coming around here but as usual I'm having a hard time spotting them Neighbor found eight up at the summer place .
    Since I'm just not good at spotting them I have gone to lots of other species thru the years .
    I've spotted these dryad saddles thru the years but never got around to eating one . Here's some I found tonight down by the river .

[​IMG]

20. riverjoe

Blog Posts:
    I was really hungry for mushrooms but I'd heard the Dryads weren't too great ,especially the big ones .
    Au contraire Pierre .

I was going to cover them in an egg wash and then roll them in bread crumbs . Got back up to the house and found all our eggs had been hard boiled and colored for Easter . Ok tho cause we didn't have any bread crumbs .anyway .
    So I found some Avacodo oil (I really don't care for Olive oil) and some Montreal Steak spice . Fry them in the oil used lots of Montreal spice plus some Mrs Dashes to counteract all the sodium.
    Thing I really liked was the texture , chewy but not tough . I really felt I was eating a nice piece of meat .
    This would be a nice meat substitute for our Spring forager when hardly anything is in season . I feel that although these were some large specimens they were quite fresh .

[​IMG]

21. NWPrimate

Blog Posts:
    Most of you are probably familiar with this stuff. I always called it bedstraw but some people call it goose grass. It has velcro quality to it and a lot of the times it will be stuck to the dog and my pant legs. I was surprised to read that this stuff is edible.

[​IMG]

Because the stems are designed to break off when they grab onto a passing animal, this has to be one of the easiest plant to gather. Just a little pressure and they come right up.

[​IMG]

Getting those little velcro hairs stuck in your throat doesn't sound pleasant, but apparently boiling them for a few minutes takes care of this.

I'm going to try a few with dinner tonight and see how it goes. The book has a warning about coumarin sensitive individuals getting headaches from this plant and advises starting with a small amount to begin with. That seems like solid advice for trying any new plant.

22. riverjoe

Blog Posts:
    Stuff is pretty common around here too (check out the photo above with it growing along side the Drysds saddle .
    Always wondered what it tasted like .

Be sure and report your impressions please . I think it's also called cleavers .

Badey, NWPrimate and rsnurkle like this.
  23. NWPrimate

Blog Posts:
    To play it safe, I only ate two of them and they were pretty bland, but not bad. There was no sign of the velcro after boiling them.

rsnurkle, Badey, riverjoe and 2 others like this.
  24. IA Woodsman

Blog Posts:
    We had some the other night. I usually only eat the small ones or the soft edges of the larger ones. I might try the beefier parts of the large ones in the future after your experience.

25. IA Woodsman

Blog Posts:
    No velcro is good.

rsnurkle, Badey and NWPrimate like this.
  26. chris67

Blog Posts:
    I talked to Karen Sherwood about cleavers and she said it was fine to eat the raw tops and we did with no problem. My guess is that the older plants get stiffer barbs and that is where the Velcro warning came from. There weren't older plants around to check.

27. riverjoe

Blog Posts:
    Well on night one I ate the smaller and more tender ones . Last night I fixxed up the second string bunch and some were so tough we couldnt eat them . Im afraid I turned off my little buddy on them cause hes not really into spicy either .
    The bigger ones had a slightly woody taste that wasnt all that unpleasant but the first ones were definitely better .

edit the pan in the frying photo is a big pan { 12 inch } so IMHO thats about the max size Id go with .

28. Badey

Blog Posts:
    The wood sorrel is coming up around here now. Lots of lemon my goodness (although not as good as sheep sorrel, in my opinion).

image.jpeg

elkhound, rsnurkle, Forestree and 4 others like this.
  29. riverjoe

Blog Posts:
    I guess no one actually answered your question . I don't believe your specimens to be false Morels because they have pits instead of being convoluted . As someone else said slice them lengthwise and note if hollow or not . Bugs like to hide in the hollow areas of Morels anyway so it's time well spent .
    I try and think of some hook to remember poison stuff . Evil brain for convoluted False Morels.
    Christmas teee leaf for
    Poison Hemlock . Lilly of the Vally leaf for Ramps . This reminds me not to eat poisonous Lilly of the Valley thinking it Ramps . I know not and easy mistake but I'd bet it has happened .

rsnurkle, Badey and NWPrimate like this.
  30. NWPrimate

Blog Posts:
    Thanks @riverjoe ... just to make sure I understand you, do you think that was an edible morel? If they are hollow, does that make them morels or false morels? Don't worry too much about the ramifications if you can't tell for sure, or if there is some ambiguity to the rules. I won't take any of it as gospel. I'm still a long ways from being confident enough to actually eat mushrooms in the woods; but I am interested in learning.

rsnurkle, Turtle Creek and Badey like this.
  31. Badey

Blog Posts:
    Congrats on finding some yummy, tasty, scrumptious morels!

rsnurkle and NWPrimate like this.
  32. Turtle Creek

Turtle Creek Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yes, I'm pretty sure what you have there is a true morel. I slice mine length wise and they completely hollow. (unless you cut/pinch it off at the soil line.)

See the difference from a Google Image:
    [​IMG]

33. riverjoe

Blog Posts:
    Yes I think that is a Morel . I would slice it in half tho to be sure it has no Cottony fiber inside like a false Morel .
    Also when you slice it you can check to be sure that the cone is attached to the stem clear down to the bottom .
    I thought I remembered reading somewhere that false Morels were generally later in the summer too but
    That's pretty ambiguous .
    When you get into it you'll find that you'll run across dozens of Funghi that don't seem to be in any book . That's ok just concentrate on the ones with the outlandish hooks like Shaggy Mane ,Chicken of the. woods , Hen of the Woods ,Clavicorona etc .
    Stay away from the pretty mushrooms like Destroying Angel and the Amanita .
    There is a big huge book called Mushrooms Demystifyed that is difficult to wade thru for me but it has tons of info . I'm not as cray about it as I could be because the author is more interested in the western US .

34. chris67

Blog Posts:
    Black locust flowers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sautéed stinging nettles

[​IMG]

35. Turtle Creek

Turtle Creek Scout

Blog Posts:
    Another tray of Morel's to be dried.
    [​IMG]
    This will be my last weekend to grab a few more. I love them fresh, but like the idea of putting some up for a later date.

[​IMG]

36. Forestree

Blog Posts:
    Picked a handful of chanterelles yesterday and found some crown-tipped coral mushrooms. I had never tried these before and after making sure and being confident of my ID I picked this one and threw it in the skillet tonight. Before being cooked it had a pretty strong peppery taste but after sauteing in some butter it mellowed quite a bit and tasted wonderful. Definitely plan to add these to my forage list

IMG_5038.JPG

37. riverjoe

Blog Posts:
    Nanny berry blossoms . May be edible but I mainly want to find them to nail down the location of the Nanny berries . They are much harder to find i the fall with just the berries .

[​IMG]

38. lowtidejoe

lowtidejoe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    IMG_7143.JPG IMG_7152.JPG IMG_7148.JPG IMG_6445.JPG

Eating roasted teddy bear Cholla in the field. Built a small 5 minute Apache fire, tossed 3 cholla segments in and roasted off all the spines. Still got a few glochids in my lips because I was impatient, not bad though. Taste like a mucilaginous cucumber with a hint of vitamin c. If you have ever had anything cholla/cactus before you might know what I mean by that. It was a good little snack.

I didn't get a before photo of the cholla but here I am in a field of them by the lower Salt river, AZ.

IMG_6704.JPG

39. NM_Coyote

NM_Coyote Tracker

Blog Posts:
    You mention being able to eliminate glochids if you are patient. Does that go for other opuntia? I would dearly love to learn to do this for prickly pear pads. I have tried but with only marginal success.

40. riverjoe

Blog Posts:
    I had to recheck my books . Our Clavicorona has much shorter tips on the " crowns " . I have been eating them for a long time . The only poisonous coral that looks remotely like it " Ramaria Formosa " has a fleshy base and flesh that bruises brown to black.
    Clavicorona Probably grow differant in LA then here . I do not recall ever tasting a peppery taste . I don't think I ever ate any raw tho .

edit ..... the crown coral mushroom shown on line resemble your example more than mine from " Mushrooms of North America ".

Edit edit ..... Heres the problem . Clavicorona is a world wide species that looks differant in differant areas . They all can ' mate " in the lab however . Also some taste peppery and some dont . This is a problem with mushroom hunting where some members of the same species look less alike then their poisonous look alikes . ( not the case here )

http://www.mushroomexpert.com/artomyces_pyxidatus.html

pics from 2014 fall Bloodroot campout

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    elkhound, rsnurkle, Badey and 3 others like this.
  41. Forestree

Blog Posts:

Cool, yeah that link is one of the sources I checked. I definitely won't be eating them raw again....I tasted just enough to learn that. Was picking some more chanterelles this evening and went back to where I saw some more crown corals but am gonna wait and see if they get any bigger before picking them. They are kinda like the ramen noodles of the mushroom world :D

rsnurkle, riverjoe and Badey like this.
  42. riverjoe

Blog Posts:
    Clavicorona was one of the first of the odd mushroom s I Identified years ago
    I always felt the crown was so distinctive it couldn't be mistaken for anything else .

Recently I've added Boletes to the menu since the poisonous variety s seem to scream IM POISONOUS .

43. Gruntinhusaybah

Gruntinhusaybah Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I don't know about roasting the pads, but I know you can clean the fruit just by peeling it with a knife, just make sure you open it up first as some of the stickers will be inside sometimes.

rsnurkle, Badey and NM_Coyote like this.
  44. NM_Coyote

NM_Coyote Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, I love the fruits when they are ripe. (September here.)
    But the pads can be eaten year round. They contain moisture and are fairly nutritious. I have sometimes added them peeled and slice to "pocket soup" (water, boullion, jerky and hard tack boiled in a cup) to add a vegetable and to thicken. I typically peel and the slice the inner flesh into thin strips before adding to the pot. Or I have eaten the flesh raw (kinda like a slimey cucumber) but I always end up with a few glochids in my tongue. I can usually prevent this if I rinse them real good under a faucet. This sort of defeats the point to harvesting a desert food since in the field if I had a faucet it wouldn't be the desert. :34:

I want to try lowtidejoe's method of roasting them off to see if that would work better. I think I may also try the cholla.

45. lowtidejoe

lowtidejoe Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yep, prickly pear pads or Nopals as they are called here are totally edible year round and they are typically roasted. Great as mentioned sliced up into thin sections, I like to put them into a skillet with eggs and bacon. They are very nutritious, full of vitamin C. The fruit of the cholla and prickly pear should be rolled around in a basket or in the sand to remove the glochidia small hair like spines that are almost invisible. Apparently greasewood or green creosote leaves were used to knock the hairs off in the past by Maricopa/Pima Indians. The fruit are very good and a bit of miracle drug in the desert, be aware they have very hard seeds in the middle. They provide a cooling effect to the body and should be eaten in small doses. 1 fruit to start.

46. IA Woodsman

Blog Posts:
    The beasts foraging.

[​IMG]

Peeled some young Dock. Kinda sour and crisp.

[​IMG]

Very young shoots of Green Brier. Tastes like starchy raw sweet peas.

[​IMG]

Basswood leaves. Very mild.

[​IMG]

elkhound, Forestree, rsnurkle and 4 others like this.
  47. IA Woodsman

Blog Posts:
    Oh I almost forgot. @Skab

[​IMG]

elkhound, Forestree, rsnurkle and 3 others like this.
  48. Gruntinhusaybah

Gruntinhusaybah Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Made some tea with Mexican (blue) Elderberry blossoms, it was ... ok. After a bit of honey it was better
    IMG_4503.JPG
    Wild grapes
    IMG_4496.JPG
    Close up, have to wait a bit for these but I'm sure looking forward to it
    IMG_4488.JPG

Miners lettuce
    IMG_4337.JPG

Lemons from our tree, Mexican Elderberry blossoms sugar and water.
    IMG_4507.JPG

Attached Files:

elkhound, Forestree, rsnurkle and 3 others like this.
  49. wa_medic

wa_medic Scout Bushclass III Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Out for a bit of rainy foraging today:

Collected plenty of Bullhead Waterleaf greens and rhizomes:

[​IMG]

Purple Dead Nettle is also in abundance now:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was hoping to get some morels, but came away empty handed. The Blue Camas flowers are just starting to come up around here too.

Cheers!

elkhound, Forestree, rsnurkle and 2 others like this.
  50. instructorzero

instructorzero Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Morels look like a sponge and have a hollow stem. Do not eat it if it has a pithy stem. Also, contrary to what some have stated, morels do not have to have a head that is attached in its entirety. A "half free" morel is not attached completely; some old timers refer to them as pecker heads and that's exactly what they look like. They are edible as well. It is difficult to misidentify a morel.

NWPrimate and rsnurkle like this.