St Francis/Allagash area.

Discussion in 'Maine' started by Philip Price, May 16, 2017.

1. Philip Price

Philip Price Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    I'll be heading up to the North Woods at the end of August and was thinking about disappearing for a few days.

Deboullie PR charges 60 bucks a night (entry and camping for me and the wife).

Coming from Scotland we're kinda spoilt as in here we have a legal right to roam, without few or levy but to "go bush" in Deboullie seems a little expensive.

If I have to pay, then I have to pay. The question is this: How feasible would it be to park up in a suitable area and just start walking.......surely the North Woods is that large of an area that a guy could disappear for a few days without running foul of the Law?

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

P

2. fraserdw

fraserdw Tracker

Blog Posts:
    America is a private property rights country, wandering can get you in trouble. Check who owns what and have permission. Next door in New Brunswick, the Fundy Footpath is free and you can wander for 5 days at an easy pace or 10 days if you go to the end and turn around, the whole trip is coastal Acadian forest with no settlements and fresh water at the end of each days march. You could walk the Fundy Footpath, walk through Fundy park and continue on to the Dobson Trail, about 12 days of wandering all free if you do not camp in the park. You will need a shuttle though unless you do about 20 days return trip.

You will have to come self contained as it is a days walk out to the nearest road anywhere along the trail and there is no formal trail staff. The trail is primitive and not heavily used but is well maintained and there is no line up to use it.

Haggis and CivilizationDropout like this.
  3. Philip Price

Philip Price Tinder Gatherer

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for the warm advice.

Looks like I may spend my tourist dollar in Canada then.

Haggis likes this.
  4. Finner

Finner Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Hey Philip, as noted above, the Fundy footpath is truly beautiful. I have hiked it a couple of times. A five day pass is only about $25 CDN if I recall correctly. The tides are really amazing to see. Camping is primitive, and there are no open fires allowed, but a small stove is allowed. Let me know if you need any info about Atlantic Canada. Cheers.

Haggis and CivilizationDropout like this.
  5. Togus

Togus Echo of the Loon Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I live in Maine and have camped, roamed, and explored Northern Maine regions. Much of These areas are owned by private owners / paper / logging, etc, but are often open for public use. They're may be restrictions; no ATVs, dirt bikes, and some areas no fires. The Jo-Mary lake area through Katahdin Iron Works is a great place to camp, hike, and explore. The AT is by Katahdin Iron works and the logging roads around Jo-Mary lake region are peppered with camp sites. I've spent many days in that area without seeing another person. Very remote. Get a copy of the Maine Atlas & Gazetteer. It lists all the areas you can go to for recreational purposes.

Philip Price, bumma, Haggis and 3 others like this.
  6. CivilizationDropout

CivilizationDropout -MOA #17- Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I envy you on your walk about!

Just gonna store this away for a rainy day...

Haggis and Finner like this.