Stainless water carrier - single wall v.s. double wall

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by Sodak, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Sodak

Sodak Scout

Blog Posts:
    A quick question for everyone out there. I often see a recommendation to upgrade from Nalgene to Klean Kanteen or a similar water bottle so that boiling water is an option. Aren't those double walled? If you boil them, won't they split open?

I have several old (very cheap) single walled stainless bottles for this purpose, but am I missing something?

blind & lost and freebirdfb like this.
  2. J. Pierce

J. Pierce Perpetually Off Topic, Sorry. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Some Klean Canteen are double, some are single.
    I never tried it, but boiling in a double wall would probably wreck it. I would think the vacuum seal would break.

3. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    About the only thing your missing is it takes longer for the double wall bottles to heat up contents and not recommended for direct contact with flames or coals.

4. reppans

reppans Scout

Blog Posts:
    You'll want a single-walled to boil water in a pinch. More versatile would be to use whatever bottle with a nesting metal cup/pot and then you can cook/boil/brew regularly.

5. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Echoing the above. In a double walled bottle, you don't want to disturb the space between the walls by applying heat so you want to go single wall. The other option is to get a nesting cup to boil your water and pour it into your nalgeen.

6. Akela

Akela Scout

Blog Posts:
    Nalgene does offer two single-walled stainless bottles. Both versions with the specs/measurements are shown on Nalgene's own website.

blind & lost likes this.
  7. Sodak

Sodak Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks everyone, good points all. I wish that MSR still made its nesting mug that fit the 32 oz nalgenes. The handle was much more comfortable than the ones on other manufacturers'.

Leshy_apprentice and J. Pierce like this.
  8. LongChinJon

LongChinJon Guide

Blog Posts:
    https://www.bensbackwoods.com/olicamp-space-saver-mug-anodized/

I use this one. It nests with plastic Nalgenes, single-wall Kleen Kanteen 40-oz, and insulated Hydroflask 32-oz bottles. The handles are about as comfortable as a wire handle can probably be (but won't replace your favorite coffee cup).

In response to your original question, though, single-walled Kleen Kanteens are what people mean when they say to use them to boil water.

Sodak, mcdudr and Leshy_apprentice like this.
  9. Leshy_apprentice

Leshy_apprentice Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have an equivalent Stainless Steel bottle in large capacity size...40 oz maybe...same size Kleen Kanteen makes, whatever that is? I can't recall exactly.

But the bottle diameter nests perfectly in a standard stainless steel camping cup (the type with the folding 2-part wire handle). It's pretty convenient for packing volume/ease.

It is single wall and fine for boiling (just remove plastic cap and cover with rock etc).

As for the double wall versions, I can't say if the diameter is the same as standard, or larger. It might have a bigger diameter due to the second wall and insulating gap. So the double wall version MIGHT not nest in that stainless steel cup. I don't know.

You're absolutely right: don't boil or cook in the double wall bottle!

But...I can see where double wall might be useful, on a day hike or single overnight, the insulated double wall bottle could mean you have a hot/cold beverage to enjoy right out of your pack, sipping over the day or as soon as you settle in to camp with no fuss or waiting to prepare it. I can see the double wall utility in that respect, even though I'd still take my small stainless steel camping cup or metal cookset for boiling/cooking as needed.

The double wall bottle could also keep cold mountain creek water tasting fresh and chilled throughout the day if your water sources are far between, I suppose.

But personally I like to boil water directly in the single wall water bottle sometimes, so I'd just stick with that as my preference.

By the way, I also have a large nalgene (again, I think 40oz) and that bottle also nests directly in the stainless steel camping cup with the folding wire handle.

Edit: I just noticed that post above mine covered similar info. The only thing I'd add is I'd recommend the stainless steel version of the camping cup instead of the anodized aluminum, if you're not an ounce counter. Aluminum is lighter, but the anodized coating will scratch and wear over time (especially if you're nesting steel bottles in it jostling in your backpack). And the worn anodized coating will eventually flake off in your food/water that you cook in the cup.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    blind & lost likes this.
  10. LongChinJon

LongChinJon Guide

Blog Posts:
    You may be right about the anodized aluminum coating. I carry my daily water bottle in one every day, but it is very seldom that I boil with it. I keep it mainly as a just in case item since it takes up no real additional room, AND it keeps my bag open so the bottle goes in and out easily. I haven't had an issue with the coating yet. I will say I prefer this type of cup because it holds about 4 oz more that the stainless cups I've seen.

reppans and Leshy_apprentice like this.