1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

Stalk of the Century Plant

Discussion in 'Tree and Plant ID Database' started by zelph, Dec 2, 2016.

1. zelph

zelph Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Has anyone used the stalk of the century plant for fire wood, decorations, shelter building?

I was in the Marble Falls, TX area and an antique dealer/store had the stalks for sale. Had them decorated with Christmas lights also.

Century Plant Stalk - Bing images

80mtn likes this.
  2. OrienM

OrienM Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've messed with agave/century plant stalk a fair bit; it's pretty soft material for most craft uses (the center of the stalk is about as hard as styrofoam, seriously!) but can be hollowed out into a tube fairly easily...makes neat containers, archery quivers, didgeridoos, and the like. It burns well, shreds into tinder easily, and if charred will take a spark from flint and steel. I've used 'em as Christmas trees, before, too :D

80mtn likes this.
  3. zelph

zelph Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    That's awesome! that someone has a use for it. I'd like to purchase a large USPS "flat rate" Priority Mail box packed full of stalk pieces. Contact me if anyone is interested in working out a deal. I left Texas the morning after seeing the stalks for sale at the store. Had to travel 700 miles back to my base camp in MS. Long story :) couldn't bring one back with me.;-(

80mtn likes this.