Stanley Adventure cook set review

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by JOttum, May 7, 2013.

1. JOttum

JOttum North Woodsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hey all, back again with another product review. This time it is for a Stanley Adventure Series Camp Cook & Cup Set. This set has a Stainless steel, 24 oz. pot and 2- 10oz insulated plastic cups that nest inside the pot.

[​IMG]

The pot has gradations stamped on the sides (see pic above) that can be read from inside or out, in both ounces and milliliters. The lid, which fits tightly on top of the pot, has some holes punched into it to let steam escape and to use as a strainer if needed. Also on the lid is a plastic handle, which I have learned from others on forums tends to melt right away if the pot is used over an open flame. Stanley does not recommend using this pot over open flames so care must be taken if that is the intent. With the lid in place the handle of the pot will clamp down over top and hold everything securely.

The pot is single walled stainless steel and the cups are thick, BPA free, plastic.

[​IMG]

When nested, you can use the top cup to store your brew kit and creamer and sweeteners of choice. Really, anything you can fit into a 10 ounce space will fit perfectly.

The handle folds out, away from the pot, and clicks into a locked position. There is a sliding lock mechanism on the handle that will keep you from inadvertently unlocking the handle and having it fold up on you during use. To unlock the handle you squeeze the two sides until you feel it unlock, then it can be folded for storage.

The diameter of the pot is almost identical to that of a standard 32 oz. plastic Nalgene bottle, so any pouch that holds one should also be the right size for the Stanley pot. It won’t nest on the bottom of a Nalgene, which is a bit of a negative. Mainly because you will need to have a dedicated pouch or carry system for your Stanley kit. You can see in the bottom picture below how much space is left in the Condor water bottle pouch for extra cook set kit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The set up with cups included is very light. The shipping weight given for it by Amazon is 12ounces. I do not have small enough scale to give my own measurement but to me the weight is negligible. Readers of the blog here know I have a Crusader canteen cup and cook set, standard NATO issue, and the Stanley is noticeably lighter than the Crusader. For 1 or 2 people on a day trip or even an over nighter this pot should work just fine for standard boiling. I think this pot paired with a GI mess kit would work fine for me as a simple, light weight cook set and I probably wouldn’t need anything more.

Performance: I got a boil out of the pot on my electric stove in about 8 and a half minutes, poured the boiling water right into the plastic mug for some of my favorite Celestial Seasonings Bengal Spice Tea. The cup warmed up but not quite to an uncomfortable level wearing a glove would have negated any feeling at all. The pot handles were pretty warm; I would probably use a bandana or shemagh in the field to grab it with.

So, with that I will conclude that this is a solid piece of gear that will perform very well as long as you use it as intended. Follow the Stanley directions and top rack it if you are using your dishwasher to clean the pot or mugs. Try to keep it out of direct flame and it should work just fine for years to come.

Thanks for looking, leave a little feedback, good bad or whatever, if you took the time to give this post a read.

Get out and have fun,

Jason O

The North Woodsman

bgf, MrFixIt, Kreger and 3 others like this.
  2. Thorbyfour

Thorbyfour Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Thanks. On my short list of gear to add.

3. wingnuts

wingnuts Hunter/Gatherer Provider/Protector Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Have 2 think they're a good value and very serviceable for 1 person maybe 2? Thanks for your review!

4. amusin

amusin Guide

Blog Posts:
  5. azratt

azratt Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have a couple of them...over built..thats good !...heavy...replaced cups with small gas stove and bottle of gas..:16:
    Payed $ 13 bucks at Target...not a bad deal...

6. JOttum

Blog Posts:
    Yep that is where I got mine. I was pleasantly surprised to find it there. You touched on something else about this set that I really like and that is versatility. Like you said take the cups out if you dont need them and mod the set how you like. I think it is a good baseline kit from which you can make it to your liking very easily.

7. 45jack

45jack Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Actually I like the cups, but then i never mastered drinking out of a tin cup without burning my lips.
    ;)

Kreger likes this.
  8. Prof

Prof Guide Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for a nice review of the Stanley set. As noted, there are several other threads floating around BCUSA about this set, for good reason: it is a great piece of gear that is readily available at a fair price.

I first saw one a year ago when my buddy Ryan, bushbumming29, brought one to a camp-out at our farm. As we sat around sipping coffee from the green mugs, I decided I had to have one!

Bart, Slumdog #1 gifted me with my set and I have been using it a lot lately. Its tall, narrow shape lends itself well to heating beside the fire. I haven't modified the lid yet, but with care, maybe I won't melt the plastic lifter. I like it because I don't need a bandanna or pot holder to lift the lid. With the handle pointed away from the fire, the liquid inside can boil and the handle will remain relatively cool.

The folding handle is solid, locking the lid and cups in place and is out of the way for transport. When open, the handle does not bend, even when the pot is full of boiling liquid.

I used it in the woods Sunday to make ramen and today I brewed cowboy coffee on the stove at home. The holes in the lid worked great to strain out the few bits of coffee grinds that didn't settle to the bottom during brewing.

Having 2 cups is great for solo trips: use one for a bowl, and the other for a cup.

The more I use this little set, the better I like it. For $14.88 at Wal Mart, I may have to buy some as gifts!

9. jonny_utah

jonny_utah Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have one too! I love it A little bit of trial/error and reading on here I decided to buy a GSI 16oz stainless cup since the lid from the stanley fits it perfectly. I can also fit my trangia stove in the kit and completely close it up.

Question for OP, Is that bag the Maratac 12x6? It looks like the one I have but it could be the Maxpedition for all I can tell. Good review, nice contribution.

10. JOttum

Blog Posts:
    The pouch I have the set in? It is the condor equivalent of the Maxpedition water bottle pouch. It is attached to my T.H.E. Pack from Spec Ops. I want to say it might be a 10x5 pouch, not the 12x6.

11. rescout

rescout Scout

Blog Posts:
    A Nalgene or straightwall Guyot will not quite nest in the Stanley pot, but the curved stainless Guyot "backpacker" bottle will.

12. jonny_utah

jonny_utah Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yeah I was talking about the pouch. It looks like it works just fine! I didnt quite say what I meant to in that last post. I meant to add that if you wanted to you can fit that GSI 16oz cup over the bottom and takes up very minimal space. The lid from the Stanley pot fits it perfectly too. It should still fit in that pouch.

13. tknife

tknife Scout

Blog Posts:
    I spotted this at WalMart and almost grabbed one to try out. The price is reasonable and the construction seems pretty good. Thanks for the review, I may have to get one.

BackwoodBarber likes this.
  14. shandygaff550

shandygaff550 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    +1 @ what 45jack said. I like the cups and even use them at home. Good review!

15. Trader Tut

Trader Tut Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Have 3 EDC kits setup, great for my use. Even put a couple together as give aways. Added mods. Tut

16. Doc.

Doc. Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have been using mine over open flames on my hobo stove for a couple years. No problems. The handle gets pretty warm but a bandana takes care of that. Couple it with the Walmart GSI knockoff SS cup ($5) which it nests in perfectly, and you have a nice basic kit to modify as you see fit. See my thread "Crown Royal Cook Kit". Doc.

17. Togus

Togus Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Got a couple of these. Can't go wrong. Insulate the pot with reflectix.

18. Waynemanning84

Waynemanning84 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Had it for a few years. I hike with people who have expensive pots and honestly they all like this one IMG_20140425_174711003.jpg

isme, Kreger, AK Adventurer and 4 others like this.
  19. Angus McGunnigl

Angus McGunnigl Guide

Blog Posts:
    One of the best deals out there ! Love mine !

isme, Kreger and MrFixIt like this.
  20. Ptpalpha

Ptpalpha Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Couldn't find the thread. Link?

isme likes this.
  21. Doc.

Doc. Scout

Blog Posts:
    Don’t know how to do a link with my phone but it’s called either “Crown Royal Cook Set OR Kit”.

22. Djektd

Djektd Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I've carried mine in a crown royal bag since the first day I brought it home. Fits perfect.

23. Moe M.

Moe M. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    There has to be one in every crowd right, well, here I am.

I'm an addict, I buy backpacking cookware on impulse, always looking for that new lightweight bush pot or stove that will be The One that's oh so special that it becomes part of my load out forever, sadly, of the dozens of pieces of camp cookware that I've bought and tried I've got about six pieces that are still with me and only a couple that I use regularly.
    One of the worst (and there have been many) bush pots I've ever invested in is the Stanley Adventure Cook set, the one that includes the pot, lid, and two green plastic cups (at this point I have to state that this is my opinion alone and that I mean no disrespect to any of the posters above who's views I differ with, some of which are good friends).
    To understand why I say it's the worst one has to understand how I use my cook pot, I solo 98% of the time, mostly day hikes, I have a couple of primitive camps that I use, I seldom use a stove, if possible and time allows I make a small camp/cook fire, my bush pot is usually my only piece of actual cookware besides my GSI SS cup and lid, and which ever back up stove I'm carrying at the time.
    My food consists of coffee/tea/hot coco, soups, stews, rice, Inst. Potatoes, and pasta dishes, all of which can be made in either of my two go to bush pots, anything else, breads, eggs, meats, fish, veggies and such I can be cooked on the coals, on a stone, on a plank, on a stick, or in foil packs.
    If I do use a stove, it's usually an alcohol stove w/stove stand, a wood/gasifier stove, or a combination of both, I have a couple of MSR canister stoves but I don't like or use them except when I have no other choice.
    As it works out the only stoves I do have that will accept the too tall and too narrow Stanley cook pot are my canister stoves, the other stoves that I like to use have the pots stands too far apart to let the Stanley pot sit on them safely.
    Another gripe I have with the Stanley Adventure pot is that it's not equipped with a bail, I hang my pots over the fire to boil water, to simmer food, and to keep food and hot drinks warm, I can't do that with the Stanley pot, yes I know I could modify it with a bail out of narrow rod or wire, but I don't like my gear to be mickey mouse looking.
    But my biggest complaint about the pot is that's it dangerously unstable because it's too tall and too narrow, the very first time I used it I was boiling water for Ramens and a coffee, I had placed the pot in the coals on the edge of my campfire, just as the water started to boil, a coal must have collapsed or moved and the pot tipped over spewing steam and hot water, luckily I wasn't close enough to the pot to get burned, but it was enough to make me realize that while the little pot was well made and sturdy, it was also a piss poor design and a accident just waiting to happen.
    The two pots that have become my favorites are first the 1.1LT. Mors Anodized Aluminum Bush Pot and in second place my .750ML. Toaks Titanium Bush Pot, both with bails and side handles, they are both almost as wide as they are tall making them extremely stable, and the wider bottoms offer more surface area to the heat which makes them more efficient, and a plus is that being wider and more shallow than the Stanley Adventure Pot they are easier to clean.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. :28:

Broke and LarryB like this.
  24. Doc.

Doc. Scout

Blog Posts:
    F90D0384-A7D3-42E3-88AE-2959E39CDFC6.jpeg 3A814554-48B3-40E5-A07C-EE07B50967C1.jpeg Stanley steamboat booshpot, Ozark Tails bottoms-up camp cup, Sterno it’s-a-puzzle-and-a-stove stove, and single guy 1-egg fry pan ALL from Wally’s.

Spoon stolen from my Aunt Mildred’s kitchen (made into a spork with a slot cut in the handle).

Crown Royal bag from Bob’s Likker & Donut Shop.

Old canvas bag made from bigger old canvas bag.

Draketake, SoreFeet and MrFixIt like this.
  25. Bushcraft-kelso

Bushcraft-kelso Am are Hobbyist Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Hard to beat this cook set!

MrFixIt likes this.