Start of a PSK

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by Coyote Charlie, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Coyote Charlie

Coyote Charlie Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hello all,

Here are some photos of the start of my PSK the one group of items that I forgot to pull out for the photo is a small ferro rod, steel wool, and some storm proof matches. Recommendations would be helpful.

Thank you for looking,

Coyote 2018-10-05-16-45-26.jpg 2018-10-05-16-44-50.jpg 2018-10-05-16-46-13.jpg 2018-10-05-16-47-02.jpg 2018-10-05-16-47-52.jpg

Waidler, Jim L., Winterhorse and 14 others like this.
  2. Kenneth

Kenneth Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    A cup or container to boil in.

Tinder to help start a fire like tinder quicks, PCB or Hammarö Tinder Card Lighting Paper.

GOD Bless you and your family

Kenneth

3. Coyote Charlie

Blog Posts:
    Thank you for the suggestions. I have some charcloth that I made that could be added. I will need to think about what size cup would fit in this pouch.

Kenneth, Winterhorse and JasonJ like this.
  4. Pinelogcreek

Pinelogcreek Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    A container to use your water tabs with, some Benadryl, bandages, duct tape and a bandana. For my I just have one knife there for weight as my primary is on my person as well. A bic lighter.

Winterhorse and Coyote Charlie like this.
  5. Coyote Charlie

Blog Posts:
    Thank you for the advice. Med supplies are a must and I need to add them. I keep a bandana in my pocket. The container is another item I need to think about. Something small enough to fit.

Winterhorse likes this.
  6. Pinelogcreek

Pinelogcreek Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    It doesn’t have to be expensive a couple heavy duty ziploc bags will work, if you get a hole use your tape to fix it.

Winterhorse and Coyote Charlie like this.
  7. Coyote Charlie

Blog Posts:
    Thank you... that's awesome

Winterhorse likes this.
  8. field-expedient

field-expedient Misfit Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    signal mirror

9. Foulwind

Foulwind Guide

Blog Posts:
    In the Redwoods, Santa Cruz Mountains, CA.
    I started my EDC kit with an Condor EMT pouch. Had the usual items in it fire, multitool duct tape florescent orange marker tape, cotton balls etc, but now, I use the EMT case for a water bottle carrier on my work EDC pack, and moved the EDC contents to my small Alice pack. it now contains a lot more stuff. Little larger fire kit, with fatwood sticks, dryer lint bundles, cotton from pill bottles, PCB's my GI mess kit, canteen stove, Stanley small cook it, 5X7 wally mart tarp, cordage, small hatchet, corona folder saw, mini-sawyer wafer filter, a couple of glow sticks, some 30lb braid fishing line snacks, a fixed blade knife, rubber gloves, red bandana, Come to think about it now, there isn't a first aid kit in it! (Probably due to the 2 FAK in the truck now?)
    I know I'm forgetting some things. Point is I started small and went larger for good or bad As the bag rides in truck it's not a issue for me.

Coyote Charlie likes this.
  10. kcardwel

kcardwel Hardwoodsman Hobbyist Supporter Hardwoodsman Bushclass III

Blog Posts:
    on one of the challenges or bush class; can't remember, but we had to stay 24 hours with just what we could carry in a bag in a cargo pocket. I did it fine but regret not having a decent fixed blade knife like mentioned above. lose the folder and get the largest fixed blade that will fit in that pack.

JasonJ, Lichen and Coyote Charlie like this.
  11. Coyote Charlie

Blog Posts:
    Do you know if there is a size limitation on the pack size for the class? I carry a backpack with items in it where ever I go and I have a bag I keep in my truck. My "edc" (for a lack of a better term) backpack is 20L and my truck backpack is 50L. The idea is if needed, the 20L bag get me to my 50L bag that gets me home.

12. kcardwel

kcardwel Hardwoodsman Hobbyist Supporter Hardwoodsman Bushclass III

Blog Posts:
    yeah here is a direct quote from the psk lesson making first "For the student practice you kit must meet the needs listed above and be able to fit in a BDU cargo pocket.
    the link to making the psk is here.... https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/e-make-a-personal-survival-kit.29471/
    and here is Terry's 3 part example of him staying out at least 24 hrs......
    https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/a-live-out-of-your-psk-for-24-hours.102519/#post1785070
    realize this is one of the advanced requirements

MrFixIt, ArmyMacE and Coyote Charlie like this.
  13. Coyote Charlie

Blog Posts:
    Yep totally... No there yet but thinking about it. Also picked up the small pack from The Hidden Woodsman and going to use it to transfer important items between packs for now.

14. oddjob35

oddjob35 Scout

Blog Posts:
    May I suggest you also have a look thru this recent discussion thread on PSKs and what sort of things to put in them.

https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/your-tricks-and-tips-for-compact-survival-kit.233163/

For example, if you remove the paracord from the spool and use something like bank line you will get a whole lot more cordage for the same bulk, or you may think of using some fishing line AND bank line on the same spool, maybe even a smaller spool allowing you more space for other useful items.

You may want to think of a plastic bag for the water carrier, but add marks to the bag to indicate the appropriate volume(s) for your purification tablets. I use a roasting bag as it folds smaller than a Ziploc, then use some cord to tie the (twisted and folded over) top of the bag to prevent spillage

YMMV but just a thought.

OJ

15. K7JLJ

K7JLJ Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Base style compass with mirror. Dual purpose items whenever possible!

16. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Simple boil/drink cup that will fit in your pouch 6 or 8 oz. capacity canned tuna/chicken tins with a plastic can cover that will also hold small items. Make a pot handle with 45* saw slit on end of stick. It's enough capacity for survival cooking/drinks although you may need a couple more refills for a full meal at one time. Burn off lacquer lining with propane torch first.​

Attached Files:

17. Sosteve

Sosteve Tracker

Blog Posts:
  18. racetrack

racetrack Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Plus 1 on the bankline/braided fishing line over paracord. Also aluminum foil can be used and re-used in so many ways; container, lid, windscreen, funnel, fishing lure, etc., etc.

19. Midwest.Bushlore

Midwest.Bushlore Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Looks like a great start!:dblthumb:

20. field-expedient

field-expedient Misfit Supporter Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    good for you, I still like a real deal signal mirror, preferably a glass military one.

21. JasonJ

JasonJ Guide

Blog Posts:
    Charcloth is fine, but better would be something that was already mentioned, the Tinderquick tabs/QuikFire or similar. Those things light instantly and stay lit with good flame for a very long time. They're no larger than a starlight mint candy and can make getting a fire going in the rain or wet conditions where charcloth may be a pain in the butt, much much easier.

22. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    A fun experiment: Take a Quick tab, a Quick fire and a fluffed out tendril PJ cotton ball and try igniting each with just the spark of an empty BIC or fero rod and see which one flames quickest.

Coyote Charlie and JasonJ like this.
  23. JasonJ

JasonJ Guide

Blog Posts:
    I will! I have used the PJ cotton ball and the WetFire brand fire starters before- both were instant lights. I'll pick up a small pack of any of the others and try them out too. Whatever does the job and packs into the smallest size is the winner for me.

24. K7JLJ

K7JLJ Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Good for you

25. Kenneth

Kenneth Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:

Ready made charclothe is good to have but something like petroleum cotton balls would be good to have on hand in case of an emergencylike when you need to start a fire in the freezing cold and you're losing your fine motor skills from the cold.

A canteen cup does not take up much room and it can be used to put your items into it or put a canteen in it.

Hope this helps.

GOD Bless you and your family

Kenneth