Steripen adventurer - what do you think about it?

Discussion in 'Cooking & Water Purification' started by insector, Jul 4, 2019.

1. insector

insector Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have this one which I have been using for about 4 years. So far so good. I am mainly worried about giardia (beaver fever) in the mountain streams around here. For backpacking. I notice not many here use one. Any issues?

I may try the MSR trailshot one day....... this one packs light and is easy to use with a 1 liter nalgene bottle for solo hiking...........I use a bandana for a filter............... 20190704_123241.jpg 20190704_123206.jpg

2. Muskeg_Stomper

Muskeg_Stomper Tiaga & Tundra Wanderer Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I’ve drank some pretty foul lake water after filtering through a clean handkerchief and boiling. Steripen probably achieves about the same result as boiling. I prefer a real water filter that removes all the other stuff too and the flavor and water clarity is greatly improved.

3. John from Alberta

John from Alberta Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I’ve used a Steripen for over 10 years. Mostly sterilizing mountain streams where I’m concerned about Crypto and Giardia and there’s generally not a lot of sediment. It’s great for solo or two person backpacking trips. It becomes tedious when you’re sterilizing water for more than a couple of people though.

I talked to a friend of mine who is in charge of water treatment for a large portion of Alberta and has his PhD in the subject and he was confident in the claims they make as to its efficacy.

I’ve found myself using a gravity filter now for my bushcraft trips, but will still likely bring the Steripen backpacking when I’m concerned with weight.

4. Todd1hd

Todd1hd Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I used a Steripen for several years and never had an issue. Used it in all kinds of weather and on all kinds of water. Never had a battery fail unexpectedly or any other crap people talk about that never actually used one. I use a Sawyer filter now for no real reason other than it's the hot ticket at the moment.

5. mtwarden

mtwarden roaming the Big Sky Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have an Adventurer that it going on 6-7 years; my only real nick is that it takes CR123 batteries- the vast majority of my headlamps are AAA, hate carrying two different kind of spares as they are rarely needed (but might be :))

I've mostly gone to using Aquatabs, not instantaneous, but have taken to carry two bottles- one is ready to go, the other is being treated (and ready to go when the other is empty)

I have recently acquired a MSR Trailshot and thus far, seems to work pretty well- it's a little heavier than the Adventurer (about an ounce), but no batteries to worry about

6. Line Dawg

Line Dawg Scout

Blog Posts:
    I've used a steripen on some really questionable water in Haiti, Guatemala, Bolivia and Brazil. If the water had a lot of suspended material, I would strain it through a doubled bandana, then use the steripen. Knock on wood, I've never had a problem. I like the fact that it kills viruses, but so will boiling.

7. CSM1970

CSM1970 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I used a Sawyer when I was traveling in China. It must work because I did not engage in any projectile pooping.

8. jcs271

jcs271 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have had a steripen for a number of years. Here in Montana a water filter is fine. While traveling and hunting in both Mexico and Africa the steripen went into every drop of water that I drank. You simply cannot be too careful especially when there is a potential for viruses the average filter will not remove.

PS I totally agree with Montana Warden, the one downside is the requirement of a cr123 battery. All of my gear, lights, cameras, GPS Etc. Use AA's.

9. to Ha

to Ha Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've had three models of Steripen...but have settled on the Classic. It's not the smallest or lightest (though not big or heavy), but the battery issue is a non issue since this uses "standard" batteries. Saves money.

Couldn't be happier. Note that if I expect silty water, I'll filter.

10. reppans

reppans Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have the Classic 4xAA and use Eneloops with it - I've never had an issue or illness with it, but it's too big and heavy for me after going UL.

I have my sights on the ozone purifier Roving Blue O-Pen now, not only bacteria and virus protection, but said to neutralize and enhance taste as well.

11. insector

Blog Posts:
    Thanks much to you all............ I will stick to the steripen for now - and may get the trailshot for muddy or turbid type water.......... I have had no issues with the pen either- but my daughter used one in Nepal, India and ended up with diarreah........ but it could have been from other sources than the pen-treated water.

I dont mind the cr123s........they are good lithiums and I can use them in my flashlight and headlight......

Plus I am packing solo for the time being............ :dblthumb:

P.S. Those aqua tabs sound good also

12. reppans

reppans Scout

Blog Posts:
  13. Revinmama

Revinmama Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I have the older Steripen with "regular" batteries. I also filter with my bandana. No problems.

Marlene

14. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    OK the steri pen does not actually kill anything it sterilizes the bacteria so that it can not reproduce, and it is very important that there be no particles in the water your treat with it, because it is possible that particles can house/shield bacteria and they not being exposed to the light do not get sterilized .
    I however would use the steri pen as well as the sawyer filter .
    SOP ,water is run through the coffee filter then through the sawyer and then the steri pen .
    Coffee filters are good for more than just making coffee.

15. insector

Blog Posts:
    Interesting on the tabs- thanx

16. woodsranger

woodsranger Solitude Seeker

Blog Posts:
    Thanks. That's why I stick with the Katdyn Micropur tablets or the Aquamira drops, and a filter. Waiting 4 hours isn't a biggie for me, but using the filter/tablets combo provides extra safety.

17. TheRambler

TheRambler Scout

Blog Posts:
    Steripen is my preferred choice when going any where with known nice clear water. If i am going into the unknown or areas known for having less than ideal water sources i bring the msr guardian.

All filters remove cryptosporidium, no need to use tabs in combination with a filter.

18. woodsranger

woodsranger Solitude Seeker

Blog Posts:
    I use the tabs to kill any potential viruses, because most filters don't filter viruses.

19. jackburton319

jackburton319 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Maybe late didn't read everything first but I own one they need clear water and are meant more for killing viruses was my understanding, filtration should take care of bacterium, but uv is meant for virus. Correct me if I'm wrong, and I mean please I may have been misunderstanding this

Okay I think it's been covered

20. boomchakabowwow

boomchakabowwow Guide

Blog Posts:
    I love mine.

We took it to Peru. At this one jungle camp; the water they claimed was filtered was HAZY. I was uncertain and we hit every Nalgene bottle.

But I’m paranoid. We did go a 10 day in the Sierras and nobody got sick.