Still hunting with a 30 30?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by David Wittkowski, Jul 14, 2019.

1. David Wittkowski

David Wittkowski Tracker

Blog Posts:
    How many Hunters still plan to use 30 30 rifle for Deer hunting this year?

2. riokid87

riokid87 Scout Banned

Blog Posts:
    It would depend on the terrain and vegetation. When I grew up it was 12Ga and slug. Woods so thick 100 yards was a very long shot. Silly to use a 3006 that's going to go well beyond what you can see.
    In western ks, 3006 for sure. I know it will go farther than the 300yrds I'd be comfortable shooting a deer but you can see a long way past that.
    A 3030 is like the 12ga.
    I think its safer to use the one that won't go way beyond what you can see an thus be sure of what's down range of your target.

3. barkoguru

barkoguru Scout

Blog Posts:
    I mostly hunt with a traditional type muzzleloader year round but I do on occasion take my old marlin 30-30 out on a hunt, I hunt mostly brushy areas so the marlin is perfect for me in my opinion but I’ve taken game out past a hundred yards with ease with it, good solid caliber IMHO.

4. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Me, with same saddle ring 1894 Win. 30WCF carbine used since 1923 by my Dad, grand Dad and great grand Dad.

5. Park Swan

Park Swan Maker Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I plan to this year.

6. Wildcat Creek

Wildcat Creek Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have a beater Winny 94 I enjoy using in thick brush. Iron sights with a roll my own 170 grain cast bullet load that works like magic in that setting. In fact that is my favorite hunting situation, and probably my favorite firearm to use. I enjoy plinking with it too, with low velocity cast bullet loads it can be a lot of fun, but as far as nail driving accuracy, it just doesn't have it, and 3"
    at 100 yards is about the best it will do.

7. x39

x39 Hyperborean Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Depends on where I'm going, but yes, my M-94 sees time afield every year.

8. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'll take my 30-30 out again during firearm season. In the daytime.
    I'll use my scoped 300AAC bolt at dawn.

9. xrayit

xrayit Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Going to use Grandpas win 94, barrel is a little long for my liking @ 20 inches. Looking to pick up another 30-30 with an 18 inch barrel in the next few weeks.

10. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    The 3030 in it's time had take every type of big game there was in north America.
    May be hunters now days have gotten poorer in their accuracy ,patience , and stealth, I don't see the animals getting any tougher in 100 years .
    Dad told me of an uncle that would sit in the woods and had a relationship with the smaller critters and squirrels and birds would pick his pockets and eat out of his hand and while doing this scope out deer he wanted ,circle around later and take the one he fixed on.
    He also tracked Bees and gathered honey he sold for a living. The 3030 was a commonly used round .then I have a 1899 octagon barrel savage ,still accurate as a laser almost. Dad hunted with it .
    I was given a new Winchester model94 made in 65-66 and it was a piece of junk, could not hit a pie plate @100 yards ,and worse the shells would go past the stop and jam up the lever action ,very difficult to remove in the field ,and that having cycled less than a box of rounds the first day. Years later I gave it to my cousin . He loved projects.
    from then on I had no confidence in Winchester, or lever guns accept dad's Savage.
    Years later I bought a Rossi .357 mag Puma helping out a friend and it is a decent weapon ,reliable and accurate and 20 years later I bought a Rossi .454 which is also an accurate weapon and dependable . But I would never forgive the Winchester for the disappointingly poor manufacture and release of a cheapened representation of their machine work.

11. chesterpulley

chesterpulley Scout

Blog Posts:

Same here. I remember my cousin "upgrading" from the 30-30 to a .270. He got a nice buck with it...at 40 yards.

The last time I carried one hunting, I walked the washes while my hunting partner sat on a ridge above with a 300 Winchester. That was a while ago, too much open country here for one to be practical, though I still have a fondness for them.

12. central joe

central joe Wait For Me!! Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    If I was gonna get out, I would. joe

Woodsroamer, freebirdfb and Haggis like this.
  13. colrbh

colrbh Scout

Blog Posts:
    I prefer my smoke pole, in my neck of the woods,.30-.30 is really popular and is about as modern as i go..

14. roadwarrior

roadwarrior Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I would love to hunt with mine but in CT we can only use rifles on private land and I don't know anyone for permission.

15. greg_r

greg_r Tracker

Blog Posts:
    30-30 Handi Rifle. It’s no problem at all to get 2500 FPS with it using the 150 grain Hornady spire point and H335 powder. Even easier to get the velocity with Leverevolution powder. But I have been using H335 a long time and like my load. The MPBR of my load is just over 200 yards.

To me the perfect hunting battery is the 22 Hornet, 30-30 Winchester, and 45-70 Government. Don’t need much else in the eastern US, except for maybe bean fields. I have a 280 Remington for that, but still, I have never had to shoot much over 200 yards on any game animal.

16. Lee C.

Lee C. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    If I was hunting in an area I could use a centerfire rifle, absolutely. I have a 94 made in 1965 and another made in 1919. Round here, it's only bow, shotgun or muzzleloader. I also have a .357 carbine I'd love to take hunting. To answer your question about the lil 30? ....I'd absolutely use one.... always thought it to be a sensible choice for whitetail deer or just about anything else.

17. ezra45

ezra45 Supporter Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    My Marlin .30-30 sure likes the newer Leverevolution 160 grain rounds. I will probably use it this year.

Regards,

ezra

18. Oldguy59

Oldguy59 Roughian #5 Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I am mostly an archery hunter but my M94 will go along while scouting for use on critters other than deer and elk.

19. barkoguru

barkoguru Scout

Blog Posts:
    Here’s a good vid on the capabilities of the 30-30, I think a lot of people don’t give it the credit it deserves nowadays.

20. Haggis

Haggis Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    When my scoped ‘o6 doesn’t finish the job in the open, it’s my .30-30 that does back in the heavy cover.

Woodsroamer, freebirdfb and Ragman like this.
  21. leghog

leghog Guide

Blog Posts:
    My son's hunting rifle is an old Marlin 336 chambered for .30-30. It's the first rifle he bought. He's 30 years old. To this day, more whitetails have probably been taken in eastern woods with the .30-30 than any other single cartridge.

22. slysir

slysir Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I don't deer hunt anymore. But if I'm invited onto private property to neutralize some hogs, it's the 30-30.

[​IMG]

-John

23. Pilot

Pilot Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have only hunted PA Whitetail with a Marlin 336 30-30 for years, and year. This season will be the same gun. It is great for the type of hunting here. Out in Colorado, much different story. 6.5mm Swede.

24. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    40 S&W & 22 Mag fan residing in New England
    Not this year no.

But its a ol standby!!

This is the year of the 35’s. Ill be using the 357Mag , 357 Maxi and 350 Legend.

CW

25. A Seedy Lot

A Seedy Lot Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I just received a 30/30 barrel for my G1 contender from MGM. Excited about working up a woods rambling hunting load for NW Montana.

26. Robedsubset

Robedsubset Scout

Blog Posts:
    Yup, Glenfield Model 30.

Woodsroamer, freebirdfb and carpenter like this.
  27. Doc.

Doc. Scout

Blog Posts:
    Been hunting with my Winchester Scout 30-30, iron sights, since 1987. Meat in the freezer every year! I still-hunt the deep woods hardwood bottoms of Mississippi. Doc.

Woodsroamer and freebirdfb like this.
  28. MT_Fin

MT_Fin Axe'aholic

Blog Posts:
    Not “still” as I never have, but I’m planning to use my 94 trapper this year for a doe tag. Would like to pick up a JM Marlin at some point too.

D69116F3-7536-4F90-AC68-FCE30973FC23.jpeg

29. Daveboone

Daveboone Scout

Blog Posts:
    I never feel quite so at home hunting as when I am carrying my Winchester, a true woodsman's gun. And the proof is in the pudding...look at all the new guns coming out or still being produced for it. After a while new cartridges just keep introducing the same. There are only so many calibers and the factories just adjust the speed they are moving at...and as we all know, fast is NOT always better. 30-30....about 130 years old and as popular as ever. Enough said.

30. Cwlongshot

Cwlongshot Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    40 S&W & 22 Mag fan residing in New England
    I have a factory carbine barrel in 30 WCF... its givin me fits to find a cast bullet load!!

So far it only seems to like HARD 311 bullets over 2400. HATES anything 310 or smaller and refuses to shoot asoft bullet.
    But shoots my ol stand by 34g 748 under a 170 Hornady FP almost 1”!

Good luck

CW

31. logan-boone

logan-boone Guide

Blog Posts:
    I am! DSCF8655~4-1~2.jpg
    Savage model 99 in 30 WCF.

32. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have one and might use it.

If you're hunting for a 30-30 rifle I'd suggest taking a look at the mossberg 464. There are a couple negative reviews but mine is perfect and impressively accurate.

I tried a scope on it but didn't like how it changed the handling so I added a receiver sight. It's target rifle accurate!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Since taking these photos I've changed the target knobs for the flush screws.

I think I paid $400 delivered a few years ago from Davidsons Gallery of Guns, and includes their lifetime warranty.

I really like this rifle!

Jean, Woodsroamer, freebirdfb and 2 others like this.
  33. Woodsroamer

Woodsroamer Scout

Blog Posts:
    No mine isn’t accurate enough for me to feel perfectly comfortable to hunt with it unless I absolutely have no other choice. I know people who have tack drivers and 1 shot deer every year. I never accomplished that feat till I got my 25-06.

freebirdfb likes this.
  34. 1773

1773 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Yes, my old Winchester 94 will go to the deer woods several times this year, I hunt in thicker areas and it really does a good job, I will be using the Speer 170 gr hot cor bullets over Lever powder, this powder really ups the performance without pushing the pressure limits. I hope to take my first deer with this load this year, in the past Remington Core-lokts have always done the job for deer and hogs.

35. Noblesavage

Noblesavage Tracker

Blog Posts:

I have one of there cheapened versions made sometime 1980's. While the blueing is terrible from that period it has been reliable and very accurate after I replaced the rear sight with a Williams peep. I understand your frustration though, kinda the way I look at Ford. Go from the Mustang to the Pinto and Mustang II.

I may take mine out this year, but more likely the 300 BO

36. Winchester 1886

Winchester 1886 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    not with a 30-30 but with my old Marlin 336 SC in .32 Spl.

Pilot, Mr. Tettnanger, Lee C. and 3 others like this.
  37. Black Jaque Janaviac

Black Jaque Janaviac Scout

Blog Posts:
    I hunt with a muzzleloader. But on the occasion that I can use a centerfire, I have a Rossi '92 in .357 and a Marlin 336.

38. 62flint

62flint Scout

Blog Posts:
    IMG_1392.JPG too many choices to see where my mindset might be come fall, but if I do, it'll be the Savage 99 carbine

[​IMG]

39. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    As a kid growing up in the 70’s, I used to drool over that gun in the catalog!

40. Hunt4lyf

Hunt4lyf Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I carry one when I go home to Southern California to hunt with Dad, it's his old one from the 60's that he gave me when I was kid.

Mr. Tettnanger and Woodsroamer like this.
  41. Frank1960

Frank1960 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Marlin 30-30 has taken a doe for last 3 years so no reason to stop using it now

42. Birdman

Birdman IG: @ChasingTheBackcountry Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Mine goes out every year.

Mr. Tettnanger likes this.
  43. GunGoBoom

GunGoBoom I'm not lost, I've just misplaced myself. Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I have a beat up Winchester 94 that may come out this year. I haven't carried it hunting since I was in my early 20s.

Mr. Tettnanger likes this.
  44. junkpile

junkpile Scout

Blog Posts:
    I will be. I went from shooting slugs to bolt action rifles, and then AR's, and then came back around to the old 30-30 lever. It's by far my favorite. Currently a slightly older Marlin 336, but if I could find something crustier, I'd go for it. There's a nice old marlin in my closet, but I don't think I want to deal with the sharply curved butt plate in the field with heavier clothing and whatnot.

I always tried reaching further and further with my shots, but around here, it's primarily a waste of time. There are a lot of open fields, and you could do it if you really wanted to, but, in large part, deer hunting is about taking time away from your occupation and certain chores around the house, spending time with the neighbors and extended family, and enjoying the woods. And I can tell you, I sure enjoy the woods a whole lot more with a nice lightweight lever that fits in my hand just right, and looks at home out there, no scope or pistol grip to get in the way, none of that stuff. If I were after a trophy, I might look at it differently, but my prize during deer season is spending time in the woods at just the right time of year. The 30-30 is plenty capable, even though it may not have the trajectory of the newest whiz-bangs, but I really have no need to shoot beyond 150 yards. If I do, maybe I'll set up for something different.

45. Jack O'Connor

Jack O'Connor Tracker

Blog Posts:
    30-30 is a keeper because it downs deer sized animals so effectively at common distances found within forests and foothills. My longest shot ever with my 30-30 was about 125 yards and the buck bounded away at the shot but toppled over after just a few jumps. Majority of my shots are closer to 75 yards or so. But no matter because a well placed 30-30 bullet knows what to do when it strikes the animal. 30-30 bullets are designed by the factories to mushroom quickly and penetrate deeply through the vitals which is all that is req'd to make venison. I've tried just about every brand of ammo and bullet weight but always go back to the 170 grain Winchester Power Point.

Jack

46. FTG-05

FTG-05 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Decisions, decisions.....

[​IMG]

47. highlander

highlander Veni Vidi comedit lardum Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The only deer rifle I own is a Glenfield 30-30. 150grain Remington Core-Loct does pretty good.

Cwlongshot, Robert Highhawk and Pilot like this.
  48. Robert Highhawk

Robert Highhawk Scout

Blog Posts:
    That's all you need Highlander. Good luck this year.

RTDoug likes this.
  49. clueless on the delaware

clueless on the delaware Scout

Blog Posts:
    Marlin 30AS (336), bought new for my first buck season in 1996. Had it out every year since, why change now?

Attached Files:

Cwlongshot likes this.
  50. DirtmanDave

DirtmanDave Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Dirty-30 is the only rifle my son hunts with and he has shot somewhere around 25 deer so far in his short life. He's 34 and started hunting at 16. also has 1 deer by .357 and 2 by now.

Cwlongshot likes this.