Stove idea using a paint drum and a stock pot

Discussion in 'Winter Camping' started by Moondog55, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    One of the main reasons I haven't made a small LW stove so far [ well a couple of experiments as proof of concept ] is that I don't like the idea of not being able to empty the hot coals and ashes safely in a fixed camp situation.
    So I was making some comments on a different thread and a picture came into my head, taking some ideas from different places and other peoples posts on the subject.
    I have a 15 litre paint bucket here and a cheap thin SS 12 litre stockpot .
    All I have to do is cut the stock pot in half down the long axis and use it as the bottom; this way I get a fully removable ash drawer that is much more resistant to erosion than the paint bucket and paint buckets are free from building site rubbish bins.
    The thin stainless of the pots lid should be OK using fireclay and pop rivets to hold it in place and I can even leave the handle in place to grab onto when removing it. Thin wheel on the grinder for the stainless of the pot and simple tin snips for the thin metal sheet of the paint bucket.
    Really all I need to buy now are 4 short bolts, 4 connector nuts, some mudguard washers and 4 long coach bolts. I have some short hinges somewhere in the midden
    What I will probably end up doing tho is cutting out a major portion of the stockpot to maximise the stoves lifespan, using the cut out section to strengthen the stove top, maybe bolting on a very small bit of thick sheet metal to give a small space to put a small pot on for melting snow and warming up the coffee
    A weekday project tho as the Boss has the 'Flu and I'm being the good husband for the week-end
    Pictures follow soon

2. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    OK I managed to get the camera working after downloading new drivers and updating the Canon program to the new version
    The green masking tape shows where I propose to make the cuts
    Hardware store trip tomorrow for some bolts I think

Attached Files:

3. CivilizationDropout

CivilizationDropout -MOA #17-MYOG #71- Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I'll watch!

Good luck with it.

SoreFeet likes this.
  4. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'll update as I go
    Having a real plan it shouldn't actually take all that long.
    I may need some auxiliary way to secure the flue for testing> small eye bolts and wire comes to mind

CivilizationDropout and SoreFeet like this.
  5. A Seedy Lot

A Seedy Lot Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Here is a stove I made for eLk hunting backpack trips. It weighs 5 pounds and puts of a huge amount of heat and since it is a taller burn chamber it burns very efficiently, little visible smoke. The stove is made from two 5 gallon stock pots welded together.

20170812_112731.jpg

6. CivilizationDropout

CivilizationDropout -MOA #17-MYOG #71- Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Well done!

Are you going to make some sort of stand to improve its heating ability?
    Also a stand would expose less of the surface under it to possibly dangerous temperatures.

7. A Seedy Lot

A Seedy Lot Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I just burnt the stove on the ground last year, once the bottom of the stove gets a couple inches of ash buildup it works like insulation. My plan was to get 3 rocks and put underneath for a stand but it just did not happen. There were 4 of us at hunting camp and the all the guys were amazed at how well the stove worked. We were just burning dead branches that could easily be broken of the trees. One of the guys at camp is an avid coffee drinker so he normally sat around the stove and boiled water for days. I ordered up a 12x20 clear tarp and built a stove jack out of nomex and thin aluminum but the water was mild so i do not carry in the extra 12 pounds that the tarp weighed.

8. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Nice work welding such thin steel Seedy.
    Plasma cutter for the holes?

9. A Seedy Lot

A Seedy Lot Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Plasma cutter for the holes. Hunting partner welded it up on his mig welder set up for stainless. I made one a few years before out of a beer keg. Weighs a bunch more and puts out less heat. We did a water boiling experiment this summer and the stock pot stove was far superior

20170526_131437.jpg .

10. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Some quick progress now I have everything sort of figured out
    Getting a strong collar in such LW sheet metal will probably be the hardest part
    This is a couple of hours work because I could not find the stainless steel cutting disks for the little grinder and I had to use a grinding wheel'
    It will be 3inch flue because I have some S/H downpipe here that needs using up but 75mm should be OK with small fires

Attached Files:

11. gohammergo

gohammergo Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The first "home" I bought when I was 17 was 35' camper that I lived in for two years. I heated it with a stove I made out of a quarter barrel. Stove was awesome. I made a cooking rack on the top of it. Everyone said that you couldn't weld stainless steel. I gas welded it with no problem at all.

Thanks for bringing back the memory! :)

12. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Project on hold temporarily while I repair some storm damage to the house, nothing major; just broken shackles on shade sails and removing a damaged shade sail. 140klick winds last night and because of my dodgy hips I hadn't got up on the roof to tighten things up before the winds got here

13. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I am a little worried that this stove will be; when finished; a bit big for the 7' * 8'6" wall tent tho, even as a solo tent

14. A Seedy Lot

A Seedy Lot Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Better two much heat than not enough in my mind, you can always burn less wood. Plus if you want to have an impromptu sauna it is a possibility. Friend of mine loves to make backcountry yurts. His current spot is a 2 hour skin, almost 3 thousand vertical gain, in the mountains out side of town. The small yurt, tight for 3 people, has a small stainless beer keg for a stove. It feels good to get the stove glowing and dry off and warm up as sub alpine winter conditions howl outside.

15. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Very true, better too much heat than not enough, I can always open up the door
    I'm already thinking about a second version of this stove. Same type of construction but simply making the hole in the stockpot smaller and more central and putting the flue in the middle

16. A Seedy Lot

A Seedy Lot Tracker

Blog Posts:
    If you run your flue to small in diameter then you will start to compromise on efficiency of stove. Smoke is not a byproduct of combustion but fuels that have not had optimal conditions for combustion.

I know normally their is plenty of wood to burn but I am constantly a student to efficiency and I do not like excess smoke in the woods.

17. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I'm making this to suit 3 inch flue at the moment because that is the size I have and if I go UL that seems to be the maximum size for rolling flues using titanium foil.
    Angles for 3 inch stuff are now almost impossible to get here in Oz. If I went to 4 inch it would be easy to find flue and angles but 4 inch /100mm pipe seems large for a 12 litre [ 3.6 US gallon] firebox

18. Moondog55

Moondog55 Guide

Blog Posts:
    I want an angled flue so I can simply run the flue out through a partly opened zipper in one of the end doors