stoves ~ what do you have?

Discussion in 'Backpacking' started by Taser, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Taser

Taser Scout

Blog Posts:
    I love a fire. But...some times you just dont have the time to put it out or do one. For that quick cuppa or, gasp...freeze dried gunk.
    I've been making penny stoves. 50 min burn on 2 oz. of heet. What are you using weight burn times etc. Show and tell please.

2. Chazzle

Chazzle Wandering Teacher Supporter

Blog Posts:
    View attachment 199987
    Coleman Dual Fuel Model 533 2 lbs. 2 hour burn time on high, boils a liter of water in about 4 minutes.
    View attachment 199990
    Can alcohol stove I made for Bushclass
    I found the recipe here on the Forums, there are lots of designs. I built the one that uses creases rather than holes for the gas. Mine boiled a liter of water in about 10-15 minutes using 90% isopropanol.

Hope that helkps

Chazz

Edit: spelling and boil times you requested, sorry.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  3. vegasrandall

vegasrandall Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Jet Boil

I friggin love my jetboil. It's speed and ease of lighting amaze me every time I use it. I have been on hikes and was the only one who had a hot cup of soup in the rain. Everyone else ordered a jetfoil the next day.
    It's difficult to heat some items but the bennies outweigh the faults. Wonderful stove, built by American geeks.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2015
    bojon01 likes this.
  4. rlp

rlp Scout

Blog Posts:
    Wild woodgas stove and a Trangia. Two types of fuel (wood & alcohol), they both work very well. The Wild can be used as a stand/wind break for the Trangia and they pack down quite small. Smaller then the Solo or Bushbuddy.

5. OutnBacker

OutnBacker Guide

Blog Posts:
    I no longer back pack, but when I did I used the precursor (I forget the model #) to the excellent Coleman 533 shown above. I have the 533 currently in my canoe kit. I bit heavy and bulky for lightweight hiking-in work, but indestructible and no separate fuel bottles. I believe these are still American made.

6. JohnnyC

JohnnyC Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    I've got a few. Minibulldesign BIOS#5 is a hot little side burner, usually it's a Smokeeater908 MiniheatST or an MBD Bongo Pro because it's remote-feed and I can bake with them. I like the design of the Smokeeater908 stove/Hyker pot stand, but I can't recommend him any more. Took him 8 months to ship an order and it was excuse after excuse. I've never had that problem with anything from Tinny.

7. Easy_rider75

Easy_rider75 Bushwhacker

Blog Posts:
    Peak one white gas brunton canister emberlit Sierra zip stove.

8. oldsoldier

oldsoldier Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I'm reduced to 3 stoves. My solo stove, which sees 90% of use, a white gas svea stove, and an alcohol stove-I believe a trangia. Thats pretty much it. But, I really prefer my woodgas solo stove, and use that one quite regularly.

2012JKUR likes this.
  9. rvfd42

rvfd42 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Olicamp canister, trangia, emberlit s.s, emberlit fireant, and Coleman 533.

10. DuctTape

DuctTape Scout

Blog Posts:
    My main heat for cooking is the fire, even if it is just a small twiggy fire. But I do have a number of stoves.

I have bin full of alky stoves. In the last few years, the only one I have used is the Fancee Feest stove. Works in all conditions and temps i have subjected it to. Boils 2 cups with with 15mL of denatured (more or less depending on water temp).

I have a Primus Micron canister stove. Hasn't seen much use in the last few years. Great stove though. Can turn it down real low for simmering.

I also have a two-burner coleman white-gas stove. This is a car camping stove.

11. tiny80022

tiny80022 Hobbyist Hobbyist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I agree, I absolutely love my jetboil. I can be drinking a hot beverage while everyone else is still trying to light a fire. I also love my svea 123, it's a bit slower, although extremely reliable .

12. Chazzle

Chazzle Wandering Teacher Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I want to make a Nimblewill Nomad mini stove:
    http://www.nimblewillnomad.com/stove.htm

I have the cookie sheet, but I only have tinsnips, drill, and a hacksaw. Can I still make it using only these tools without a bench grinder?

13. aaronu

aaronu Armchair Bushcrafter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Coleman Peak 1 Apex. Remote feed white gas stove. One of the most stable stoves out there. It's been drop dead reliable since I got it, ~1989-90. I have two bottle sizes for it. With the smaller bottle it is under 1.5 lbs. I haven't used it for a few years though. It is heavy and overkill for the hikes I do.

Mini Trangia burner with the mini windscreen/pot stand. I bent the pot stand to better fit my SP600 mug and mini solo cook set.

Vargo hexagon woodstove. I carry that with the mini Trangia set since it adds so little weight and gives a backup fuel option.

Esbit ultralight stove. It's the small, triangular stainless steel stove. It has a tray for Esbit tabs and works really well with a Trangia burner. This one is in my day hike kit with the snow peak mug. It does double duty as a car kit/GHB. This stove is just a few ounces. Six Esbit tabs fit in the nylon envelope with the stove. That makes for a handy lightweight kit.

I recently got a Canteenshop bottle stove to finish out my water bottle kit. Right now I would use it for twig fires only. I'm thinking about adding a Zelph stove since a few of his stoves would fit in the kit bag. I like the looks of the Starlyte stove for this, and it is one of the few stoves that can hold its own fuel.

Last but not least I recently got a Fire Ant stove. It works about as well as the Vargo wood stove but also handles Esbit and a Trangia burner. I'm thinking of carrying it in my larger kit with the Trangia and a few Esbit tabs.

As of right now if I had to keep only one, I would carry the Fire Ant with the Esbit burner. Three fuel options appeals to me. The Trangia burner is not the lightest out there but it is time tested and foolproof.

Sorry I don't know exact weights. I am not an ounce counter.

14. DuctTape

DuctTape Scout

Blog Posts:

I made a version a few years ago. I had the same tool list as you with the addition of a dremel tool. That helped a lot. Also a bastard file and sandpaper to smooth the sharp edges/corners.

15. dustinf

dustinf Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have two,MSR pocket rocket, and a white gas Brunton(I forget the model)

The Brunton:
    [​IMG]

16. mikeglock2010

mikeglock2010 Scout

Blog Posts:

What kind of penny stove do you have that burns 50minutes on 2 ounces of fuel? Is that in simmer mode?

I use Solo Stoves, Tranagia, and a Coleman Exponent dual fuel.

17. Taser

Taser Scout

Blog Posts:
    Home made double walled with only 6 holes and fiberglass wicking. Used a monster can the type with screw on cap and short rattle can paint can. Its about 4 in tall. Takes about 15 min to boil cuppa due to low output.

My other is shorter and smaller but in 8 min I boil a coffee due to more holes and serious heat. Only get 15 min on 2 oz. for that one.

18. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have a Snow Peak Giga Power and an Esbit pocket stove with tabs. I don't keep track of burn times and with the esbit 1 or 2 tabs makes a difference in boil times.
    Once upon a time I had the chinese knockoff backpacking stove but it blew a seal and I tossed it.

19. bobbydank

bobbydank Tracker

Blog Posts:
    This is a little different, but I just pick up an emberlit stove. Haven't gotten a chance to use it. With hunting season closing out, I'll get a chance here soon enough.

20. ra2bach

ra2bach Guide

Blog Posts:
    my two main stove types are alcohol and cartridge gas. they're a great supplement to a camp fire and I use them when I don't want to deal with sooty pots. I have an Optimus 8R fuel stove for car/canoe camping but it's too heavy and bulky for carrying and I worry about spilled fuel. I also don't go to elevations where a fuel stove is a necessity...

I like alcohol because it's clean and heats well but not ideal for more than two people. my first choice where weight is a concern. I mainly use a Vargo Titanium Decagon stove but lately got a Trangia. I vastly prefer the Vargo because it weighs almost nothing and I don't need a stand with it but the Trangia has some other aspects that make it a good alternative with another person.

Iso-Pro canisters are clean and quick and the flame is adjustable so you can do more than just boil water with them. my canister stoves are a Jetboil, Pocket Rocket, and a cheap Chinese (Etekcity) stove that has become a favorite because of how light and compact it is. it fits perfectly, with a 100g gas canister upside down in my Stanley Cook pot, nested with a GSI cup that has become my solo kit. it's quieter than the Jetboil so it's my hunting kit.

the Jetboil system is excellent but it's only a water heater. it's not as quiet or durable but it's very quick so I tend to use it mostly for coffee, Mountain House, or the classic Ramen when motorcycle camping or with a group.

the Pocket Rocket holds larger pots/pans than the little Etekcity stove and works for more than two people. it, and a large Iso-Pro canister fit in my Coleman Max 800ml pot, which nests with a larger pot and a skillet...

21. Knifecraft

Knifecraft Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Here is my homemade Fancee Feest stove that I made. Just went outside to make some tea. It's 18* out and with 2oz yellow Heet it boiled 2 cups of water in 8 minutes with a total burn time of 15 minutes. I also use a Optimus Crux gas canister stove.

[​IMG]1 by knifecraft61, on Flickr

[​IMG]2 by knifecraft61, on Flickr

[​IMG]3 by knifecraft61, on Flickr

[​IMG]4 by knifecraft61, on Flickr

[​IMG]5 by knifecraft61, on Flickr

22. rdec

rdec Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've used a lot of stoves over the years. My patrol leader/best friend had a GI Coleman he got from his uncle. Heavy and sounded like a jet engine but it brought the largest 8 qt. pot from the Trail Chef cook set to boil right quick. Most cooking was open fire in those days but it was nice to have hot water quickly. I didn't like the height of it, though so future stoves would be selected to avoid the "leaning tower" effect.

More recently I had a Coleman Apex. Worked well, it was low and the fuel bottle was also the fuel tank so you didn't have to fuss with filling the tank. For some years I had an Optimus 8R. I don't do cold weather or high altitude any more so eventually I sold my gasoline stoves, replacing them with butane and iso-butane ones.

For years I used an Olicamp Scorpion II. Excellent simmer adjustment, built-in windscreen and sat low and wide for stability while packing at 6" in dia. x about 1.25" high. I still use that.

My first alcohol stove was a two-burner Gloy's Heat Pal I used for group car camping. It was heavy and about the same size as other large two-burners, but it was simple, with good flame control so I used it for years.

My current crop includes Trangia, Pack-A-Feather for their adjustable feature, and several MiniBull Design stoves I keep packed with various cook sets. They are a little slow to boil but are light, inexpensive and simple - highly desirable characteristics.

23. thedutchtouch

thedutchtouch Scout

Blog Posts:
    I mainly use my ikea hobo stove. I also found another hanging utensil container at ikea that fits right inside, stainless and nesting and boils a liter. When I don't burn wood in it I use a trangia burner and use the hobo stove as a pot holder/windscreen. I also carry a cheap piezoelectric burner and a small fuel canister at times as a backup.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  24. manitoulinbound

manitoulinbound Apple Fritter Lover Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have a trangia and a couple diy alky stoves but my go to is the pocket rocket. I had a msr dragonfly and never really used it, it was just too complicated for what I wanted to use it for. If the pocket rocket ever craps out, I will replace it with another.

25. Mars

Mars Scout

Blog Posts:
    Pocket Rocket

AND

Primus Omni fuel

Depending on trip, is where the choice of which to take happens.

26. azb

azb Scout

Blog Posts:
    Ikea hobo stove for burning wood, which is almost never. Winter hikes only when we've got to melt tons of snow for water. Main advantage is that fuel is everywhere.

Several homemade alky stoves, my fave is the energy drink can. 1/2 oz of fuel boils 2 cups in less than 4 mins. And the stove weighs an ounce.

Svea. Tried and true, indestructible, but way to heavy to carry anymore unless it's like 2 level miles to camp.

Esbit. Emergency stove, works great. I'd use it exclusively if the alcohol stove didn't work better and was lighter.

In the past I've also had the Coleman and the Primus. Too heavy, too complicated, sent 'em on down the line.

Az

Carabnr likes this.
  27. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    I have a few,

1. Titanium canister stove, I think it's by snowpeak. Owned it for about 10 years and still works great.

2. Trangia, now resides in my vehicle emergency kit.

3. DIY Soda can alcohol stove. Made it many years ago but rarely used it.

4. Evernew titanium alcohol stove. this is my backpacking stove.

My preference is to use a wood fire.

28. PeteA

PeteA Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have a couple I've collects:

2 pop can alcohol I built

1 Trangia clone

1 Primus backpacking canister stove (I forget the model)

1 Coleman double burner

One of the pop can stoves I built was from a tread for here for a Simple Alcohol Stove and it boils 2 cups of water In 4.5 -5 minutes.

29. central joe

central joe Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Most of my stoves are homemade, mostly out of blackpowder cap tins. Resemble the vargo alcohol stove, but free except for boring the holes. They burn 7 / 9 min. Enough for cocoa. I also use a Esbit, but more often a Altoids small tin with a Esbit cube. joe

30. rocketbomb

rocketbomb Guide

Blog Posts:
    Gigapower all the way. Works very well for my purposes. Had an msr dragonfly for a while but for my purposes it was too heavy and bulky.

31. mikeglock2010

mikeglock2010 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Would you mind posting pics of those stoves?

32. Jon308

Jon308 Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    emberlit and esbit alcohol stoves

33. amusin

amusin Guide

Blog Posts:
    A 42oz juice can with a bunch of holes in it, also a larger one made of a big coffee can. For backup a candy tin stuffed with fiberglass that burns alchohal rather well. The juice tin fits perfect around one of them tall narrow stanley cookers a couple tent stakes and it works lije one if them volcano stoves with the flames from a twig fire heating the sides of a tall narrow pot.

34. Taser

Taser Scout

Blog Posts:
    I would but I :
    1 have no clue how
    2 dont do the flicker / loading pics to the internet

simple design can be finicky but you heat exterior to help vaporize fuel at start up

35. Knifecraft

Knifecraft Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:

You don't need FLICKR to post pictures here... I'm sure you know how to email pictures... Email them to me and I'll post them for you, PM me for my email address.

36. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My most used stove for backpacking, $6.00 small space/light folding Sterno stove, built in windscreen and grill and multi fueled with: wood sticks
    alcohol (Trangia)
    wood pellets
    charcoal/coals
    bark/pine cones

Also when turned upside down with piece of aluminum foil on top and door lifted up makes an excellent reflector oven for bannock and other small baking needs. Pic is my heavily used 5 year old stove and never cleaned.

37. Loren Littlejohn

Loren Littlejohn Tracker

Blog Posts:
    MSR pocket rocket and DIY alchohol stove. I have a titanium firebox stove on my wishlist to cover wood down the road. Also have a big dual propane burner for family car camp trips.

Here is a picture of my little DIY stove inspired by the capillary hoop stove tetkoba's Alcohol Stove R&D did on youtube done with standard size redbull cans. I have to say he is much better at making the stove look good than I am. The design is great though, almost instant pillar flame like that and over 10 mins of burn time if you fill it all the way up.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here is the picture of the pocket rocket. A lot heavier than the alchohol setup, but boils in less than half the time and of course you can control the amount of heat unlike the above stove which is pretty much only good for boiling water.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  38. JaynEss

JaynEss Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Black mountain range of Western North Carolina
    An old Gaz butane that I can't find cartridges for anymore. Trangia, and a quart paint can rocket stove. Also a Coleman two burner for when we are towing the base camp.

39. mtwarden

mtwarden roaming the Big Sky Supporter

Blog Posts:
    in the Winter a MSR WindPro (canister inverted)

[​IMG]

when solo backpacking I use a FourDog wood/Esbit stove, nice not having to pack a canister

[​IMG]

when w/ the wife (shouldn't doesn't like waiting w/ the wood stove) I use a SnowPeak Giga Ti (fabbed a titanium wind shield copying the design of SnowPeak-cut the weight more than half)

[​IMG]

40. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I built just about every alcohol stove design listed on the Zen Stoves website as it existed back in around 2003/4/5. I finally settled on the SuperCat. It serves solely as a backup stove. When I carry it, it goes in the bottom of one of my cooking pots (mostly the German Mess Kit rig) and takes up little room. I have a bottle of hand sanitizer (the kind my daughters have attached to their purses, with the little rubber band for a dummy cord) that goes with it (and doubles as an emergency accelerant).

I seldom use it. I went through an "ultralight phase" a few years ago... it taught me a lot, but as I returned from the far edge back toward a heavier mindset, I kept that stove of all the others. A guy named SGT Rock (SGT Rock's Hiking HQ website) did an analysis on the use of a really small stove and a half ounce of alcohol (2x a day), "weight over time". His "Ion" stove broke even with the MSR Pocket Rocket at the two week mark... After that point, the ineffeciency of alcohol as fuel built up to the point that it made the Pocket Rocket more efficient beyond that. As long as you're out less than two weeks, the Ion made lighter sense. His analysis was a good one, and the concept is still good, IF you're a backpacker on a well-groomed trail with resupply stops every few days.

But I got tired of the tiny pot, tiny stove, tiny fuel concept. I had the perfect rig: an MSR Titan kettle, Ion stove, potstand, mini Bic, etc... but I couldn't make a second cup of coffee or tea, or one for a friend, without getting more water and setting up the stove again. I couldn't wash myself or any of my clothes in the pot. Eventually, I have settled on the Mors Pot or the German Mess Kit as my favorite pots, and learned (well, re-learned, really) how to control a fire to the point I can cook over it pretty well. I am a LOT happier now. My pot is now a bit heavier, but I don't really need a stove anymore, and I think the larger, sturdier pot is more efficient in other ways (bathing, laundry, convenience). I still carry a Pocket Rocket (mostly on really light solo canoe trips) or my MSR Simmerlight (more fuel capacity, better for 2 people), but am trying to wean myself off them entirely...

This is difficult... that first night in, after a half day's drive and a half day's paddling, you just don't feel like gathering wood from the overused forest, and you're tired and hungry (and maybe cold) NOW. Stove's really handy then...

Cookset.jpg

Packed.jpg

Unpacked.jpg

Assembled.jpg

Carabnr likes this.
  41. Bodie

Bodie Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The taller ( 9 hole high ) IKEA SS stove that nest's 2 tent peg's, my SS Stanley cookset, which in turn nest's my Trangia, nice durable, and cheap set up that is very versatile. I will eventually get around to posting my set-up ;-) So far i have used wood, rubbing alcohol, and the yellow heet, but have not done any burn time's.

42. allfatherodin

allfatherodin Scout

Blog Posts:
    The old Trangia stove. Fuel can be found pretty much everywhere, and they do a good job. Maybe not extremely lightweight, but good enough for me!

43. CalmAsHinduCows

CalmAsHinduCows Tracker

Blog Posts:
    The Coleman 533 is looking really appealing for when my wife and I take a leisurely camp where can have a base camp for an extended time. I never knew that existed!

I normally use small open fires or Dakota fire-holes to cook and it works splendidly. But, now I'm looking for a small back up stove. Something that I can carry with me, but use only so often. I'm thinking butane or propane and a lightweight burner.

I've seen some good ones in here, are there anymore suggestions?

44. Taser

Taser Scout

Blog Posts:
    Im seeing a definite trend. Like using different packs for different hikes. Using
    the right tool for the right job. White gas and propane for car camping. Some white gas for packing. Isobutane for packing and more cooking. Wood any time. Alke stove for heating water and not a lot of cooking.
    And everyone has their favorites for the type of trip.

45. zelph

zelph Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Great idea! Do you have a grate insert to prevent touching the walls and floor of the stove? Wood is my goto fuel

46. zelph

zelph Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    Excellent choice :)

47. aaronu

Blog Posts:
    Sweet! How do you like the Four Dog stove? I *almost* pulled the trigger on one several times.

48. mtwarden

mtwarden roaming the Big Sky Supporter

Blog Posts:
    it's a sweet little stove; I have the LT1 (the smallest one) I've had several years now and it's been out on dozen of trips. It nests perfectly in a Snowpeak 600 mug, weighs little (3 oz), burns wood, esbit (and alcohol-haven't used that option) and is really built well. Don does a great job w/ his stoves, I highly recommend the Bushcooker :)

49. zelph

zelph Guide Vendor

Blog Posts:
    I agree....sweet little stove, well built and compact. Will boil 2 cups with one load of fuel.

Watch the Great Woodstove Burn-Off WoodDog's is in the center, BushBuddy on the left and my creation on the right. Wood is my goto fuel ;)

[video=youtube;vkmtkvrhUc0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkmtkvrhUc0[/video]

See two more test videos here:

http://www.bplite.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=4961&hilit=fourdog+bushcooker&start=10

50. aaronu

Blog Posts:
    Thanks mtwarden. I have a Snow Peak 600 with a Four Dog lid, and I was looking at the LT1 myself to go with it. The blushing bride got me a new Emberlit Fire Ant for Christmas and I really like that one too. Both were on my short list so I can't complain.

I'm hitting "stove saturation" but the BushCooker still appeals to me. I need to thin the herd and make room for a BushCooker! And a Silverfire Scout. And a BushBuddy. We have the misfortune of too many good options... :)

Aaron