Sub $100 camera tripods?

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Birdman, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Birdman

Birdman Opportunistic generalist Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Looking for a tripod for a DSLR under $100. What's a good one to look at?
    Ordered an Ultrapod II for a mini, now need something fullsize.

2. Pinelogcreek

Pinelogcreek Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Manfrotto will be slightly more than your budget but I’ve had good service from them. Consider the cost of the camera and glass you are going to hang from it. For me that was sometimes several thousand dollars. The head is more important to me than the legs as it’s convince yields more pictures and better pictures. Check places like Adorama and B&H where you can get the right tripod for the weight of your camera.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    Birdman, Mikewood and central joe like this.
  3. Big ian

Big ian Scout

Blog Posts:
    I have a friend that purchased a mono-pod (for the secure attachment), then fashions a tripod in the field with two other poles. It depends on your application I guess (mobility vs time vs stability).

Birdman likes this.
  4. Woods Walker

Woods Walker Rattlesnake Charmer. Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Look at the sales on B&H. I got several 100 plus tripods shipped for around 50. Also know that many tripods are the exact same one just manufactured for different companies near as I can tell.

[​IMG]

On a side note if shooting video with a DSLR get a Boya MM1 or Movo vxr10 (same mic I have both) if looking to save cash. Average cost 35 but got this one for 25. Equal to my more expensive Rode Videomicro on many levels.

[​IMG]

Forgive the cellphone pic in the dark. Too lazy to use the DSLR.

[​IMG]

The Primaphoto is this one and looks still on sale. It's the same one seen for sale under many names.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...photo_phtrssl_small_travel_tripod_silver.html

The slik is this one though got it on Ebay be shipped for 50. It's not full size but the lightest for it's size to cost ratio I could find so often use it. Also has the lowest minimum height I have seen.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/614703-REG/Slik_611_806_Sprint_Mini_II_GM.html

The MeFOTO backpack air is this one. I might have paid 10 dollar less during a flash sale from B&H but it's still listed at a sale price of 50. Free expedited shipping I think.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1281645-REG/mefoto_bpairgrn_backpacker_air_travel_tripod.html

The pros are it has a heavy duty selfie stick with a blue tooth thing I never actually used. Plus a cellphone mount. Tall as well. Fast setup. Down side is the setup as well. It's hard to know if the poles are locked. Also the center pole that has 4 sections (really cool) can come lose and let the camera slide down if you forget to loosen the head when moving the camera. Basically it's easy to accidentally twist loose the center. However it's very UL for the size at nearly 59.5 inches. The head pans smooth enough to do that kinda shot.

Like a knife, gun, backpack etc etc there is no perfect tripod.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    Lichen, Panzer and Birdman like this.
  5. Panzer

Panzer Prepared Wanderer Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:

Good report. I need a MeFoto backpacker air.

Woods Walker likes this.
  6. Woods Walker

Woods Walker Rattlesnake Charmer. Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    So long as someone pays attention to the locking mechanism it works great. I am still learning videography.

Tripod is very important. Feel like a fool for not using one in the past. Starting to look for a mirror less system. Some are weather sealed and have IBIS. My AX53 camcorder is amazing and the Nikon D5200 nice. Used the DSLR for my ending A roll in the last video. However the GoPro hero 7 black spoiled me. Can shoot in the worst weather without a case. Native audio is ok but often use a mic for it. The image stabilizer electironic is like floating on a cloud. Impossibly good. Even beats the AX53 BOSS optical stabilization which also rocks. Shoot 2.7k or 1080p linear so no fish eye and infinity focus. Still I am looking for the perfect outdoors content mirror less.

But there is always something. One has good image stability but then no weather sealing. Another has great auto focus but then can’t do it in 4K and no flippy screen. Overal good audio and stability more important that image quality. Hence the tripod LOL.

7. xrayit

xrayit Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Vanguard Tripods are pretty nice, I use the Alta Pro 263AP for indoor shooting and the VEO 2 265 CB for traveling.

8. captjim_nm

captjim_nm Tracker

Blog Posts:
    In the past years I have found good deals on tripods at thrift stores. I have 3 different tripods, from light weight to a studio tripod. I also carry a monopod. I was doing still photography.

66drifter likes this.
  9. 66drifter

66drifter Guide

Blog Posts:
    in agreement w/ captjim, and for this/these i prefer to play w/ one prior to purchase

i see them @ flea mkts frequently specially mkts that have a few storage building cleaner-outers who set up to sell the stuff that they hauled out...

the price range is <$20 for the studio types and commonly $5± for the back-pack weight units(i used2 carry a remote shutter switch for these light weight ones w/ a full body slr hangin' on them)

i think i gave all my full body stuff to the granddaughter as she was getting into nature photography

10. Theangrywelder

Theangrywelder Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I use to have a couple tripods from Monoprice. The ones I had were fantastic and never failed, you would need to ask the ex how they are holding up now as I forgot to pick them up from her place when we split up.

https://www.monoprice.com/search/index?keyword=tripod

Currently I am using this brand from Amazon. I have liked them so far. They are very tall when fully extended and heavy, which works for long exposure and heavy camera setups.

https://www.amazon.com/ZOMEi-Z818-H...s=p_89:ZOMEi&rnid=2528832011&s=gateway&sr=8-7