Summer insulation

Discussion in 'Hammocks' started by chansta, Mar 13, 2019 at 9:47 PM.

1. chansta

chansta keeper of the flame Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Let me just preface this by saying I have tried under quilts and I do not like them. With that out of the way, I really enjoyed laying in my Hammock. It is extremely comfortable. What I am looking for is an inexpensive insulation setup for warmer summer nights and spring.
    Something versatile.
    I am also looking at easy to set up bug net options. I currently have a Dutch hammock.

CivilizationDropout likes this.
  2. MississipVol

MississipVol Scout

Blog Posts:
    Out of curiosity, what brand did you try and what did you not like about it??

I tried several things before moving to an underquilt. My system included a large silver windshield visor, wool blanket, and blow-up insulated camping pad. It was heavy to carry all of that so I saved up and got an underquilt. The items I mentioned might work ok if car camping but my shoulders were still cold when the temperatures dipped under 50 degrees. or so.

CivilizationDropout likes this.
  3. chansta

chansta keeper of the flame Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I tried a hammock gear uq. I had a very difficult time getting it properly adjusted so that when I laid in it diagonally it didn’t curl up around the sides.
    The reason I sold it is because I mostly keep a Hammock As a combination bush seat and something to just lay in lazily rather than camp in.
    I have had some very good nights of sleep on some overnight trips in various hammocks and this one fits me far better than those .

4. 66drifter

66drifter Guide

Blog Posts:
    down here(north central Texas/all around the southwest) not having an insulated bottom is what i love about hammock camping in the warmer months

the breeze allows me to sleep cool like i was in an air conditioned room

pretty nice for camping when the night time temps don't get below 90ºf

Hennessee sells several DOUBLE BOTTOM hammocks that you can slip an insulating layer into if you need it

sw

backlasher likes this.
  5. Red Wing

Red Wing Guide

Blog Posts:
    Wookie uq will solve your ails. Any pad will work though, ccf pad. Cheap and easy. You'll feel the edges though and on the back of your arms. Get as wide as possible.

I use a wookie uq on my chameleon and never have to mess with it. Its unreal.