Summer-time SOLO base weight?

Discussion in 'Backpacking' started by Pinnah, Jul 2, 2019.

?

What is your summer-time SOLO base weight (excluding food, water, fuel, and hiking clothing)

1. Utralight - Under 10 lbs

9 vote(s)
    15.5%
  2. Light - Under 20 lbs

32 vote(s)
    55.2%
  3. Traditional - Under 30 lb

11 vote(s)
    19.0%
  4. Kitchen Sink Class - Above 30 lbs

6 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. CaliforniaCanuck

CaliforniaCanuck Guide

Blog Posts:
    I gave up chasing the ultralight but I do keep my individual items as light as possible, I just bring more items than I can get by with.

Add fishing gear, chair, and more than just a minimal knife and it adds up.

2. insector

insector Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    The 19 pounds has a pint of water. The boots are Kenetrek hikers. And just enough food for an overnighter. I will continue to cut weight. And keep you all posted. At 15 pounds it would be featherweight for me...... and a bit of a challenge

I notice that those under 15 pounds are not using sleep bags but quilts?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    Forestree, Bobsdock and Guttersnipe like this.
  3. reppans

reppans Scout

Blog Posts:
    I can range from ~5lb/12L to ~10lb/25L BPW for overnighters to 4-nighters. IMHO, mummy bags are warmer in cold weather for the same weight/bulk due to the integrated hood and guaranteed zero-draft, and a full length zipper means they can also be as cool as quilts in warm weather.

I find the common argument about sleeping bag's crushed insulation underneath the user to be way overblown, particularly with side sleepers like me - the quilt's loss of both a hood and foolproof draft seal being far more important.

That said, I mostly use multi-tasking quilts that double as worn clothing (insulated poncho) so I can leave the campsite puffy jacket at home. I find ponchos much warmer than jackets for relaxing around camp and they providing me luxury/emergency back-up Palmer Furnace functionality.

Forestree, Bobsdock, insector and 2 others like this.
  4. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I'm a quilt convert, and a side sleeper. Unlike @reppans I find the hood and draft issues to be overblown. Unless you have a draft collar at the top of your sleeping bag moving around in the middle of the night will suck cold air into a mummy bag. With a quilt you can snugg it up around your neck. With my wide quilt Ive not found drafts to be an issue as a side sleeper. I clip my quilt around me in cold weather and have become pretty good at spinning in a bag or quilt when turning in the middle of the night. I've also found my light fleece hat to be plenty warm for the lower rating of my quilt and it can be worn around camp or when taking a break on the trail. I'm not aware of a large mummy bag thats 19 oz and rated at 20° personally. A comparable Mummy bag from Western mountaineering for example would weigh 1 lbs 13oz, but would be of the best possible quality.

I've slept in temps ranging from 19° - 70° +/- using one quilt and pad combination. I find that sleep system to be extremely versatile, simple, light, comfortable, and effective. That said everyone is different, what works for one might not work for another.

Before picking up a quilt I used my mummy bag zipped open as a quilt. Not exactly the same, but a good way to get an idea if quilts may be for you.

Seeker, Forestree, Bobsdock and 2 others like this.
  5. insector

Blog Posts:
    Interesting, thanks. I just weighed my bag at 1 lb. 7 oz. on the postal scale. I better use it for the time being. I am comfy with it. but it is only good to about 40 degrees. The plot thickens
    20190713_162528.jpg

6. reppans

reppans Scout

Blog Posts:
    That's a nice bag, I have the same one... #5 even, although mine might be an older version. That would be fine to test quilt vs mummy since it has full length zipper. Pick a couple of nights in the high 30s/low 40s at about the bag's rating, bring a low temp recording thermometer and extra just-in-case layer with you, sleep one night as mummy with the hood and draw cord cinched up around your face, and the next night unzipped as a top quilt and wear a good hat. If you find the comfort about equal, then you can count on saving some weight with a quilt.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  7. insector

Blog Posts:
    Thanks @reppans - I think we are on the same page here. I am willing to bet the comfort as about equal since I have already slept with it like that (as a top quilt). The temp was never less than 50 degrees the other night. I am ready to look at quilts now. But I got no clue where to look. I am used to mummy bags.....................:rolleyes:

reppans, Guttersnipe and Bobsdock like this.
  8. MJGEGB

MJGEGB Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Hammock Gear, Underground Quilts, Enlightened Equipment (I wouldn't buy the mass drop or off the shelf since the shells are made in China and filled here, custom orders are completely made in the USA last I checked).

Bobsdock, insector and Guttersnipe like this.
  9. insector

Blog Posts:
    thanks- I will check out the quilts................. and see what they have to offer...........

It looks like I can shave a half pound off my bag weight (at least).

:dblthumb:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
    Forestree, MJGEGB and Guttersnipe like this.
  10. Forestree

Forestree Treeforest Supporter Bushclass I Bushclass II

Blog Posts:
    Great thread, I’ve been on a quest to upgrade some of my backpacking gear to lighter alternatives. The ultralight threads are great and really makes me scrutinize what and why I’m carrying it. And the obsession to weigh everything I own has become a problem....for real :D But I don’t think I’ll ever be an ultralighter because of the comfort gear I like to carry.

Lists can often be deceiving and usually omit last minute or unthought about items. I can shave over a quarter lb just by ditching my wallet and trimming down my key ring. ID, insurance card, hunting/fishing license, maybe cash and a credit card, and just a truck and house key. Other stuff like trail maps and that last minute 2 lb bag of trail mix.

My last trip I ended up gaining weight by carrying out about a pound of mushrooms and a probably 2 lb deer shed...and maybe a half pound of dirt and leaves :)

Heading out this weekend and supposed to be nice weather...my base weight is looking about 16 lbs right now. That includes some luxuries including a camp chair and folding saw. Might cobble together a list to post up

11. Glenn Rowe

Glenn Rowe . Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My best summertime all-packed-and-ready-to-go solo rig, including 2 days' food and 2 quarts of water (plus a filter), weighed in at 26 lbs. 4 of that was water, and I think the food was another 2 to 4.

Guttersnipe and Bobsdock like this.
  12. Forestree

Blog Posts:
    Did the lighter pack .com list and I like it. Shows my base weight at just over 18 lbs but probably won’t be bringing the crocs, mest tarp or pack cover since the weather looks nice....would still be fine even if it does rain. That puts it in the 16 lb range. Here’s the list https://lighterpack.com/r/r0wfu0

Guttersnipe, Seeker and Kona9 like this.
  13. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    That rednecky area between Baltimore and Philly.
    You're only problem, really, is that 4lb ax you carry everywhere. Or have you given that up recently? :D

14. Forestree

Blog Posts:
    Haha, haven’t been packing that one around since I moved to the mountains. Total different world here and I’ve had to adapt....carrying stuff up mountains is work :D I’d still be using my same old heavier gear if I was in Louisiana!