Summer weight pants?

Discussion in 'Clothing' started by bigbore442001, Jun 15, 2017.

1. bigbore442001

bigbore442001 Guide

Blog Posts:
    What brand or make of summer weight trousers do you like? I have a couple pairs of ripstop BDU's in the old woodland camouflage pattern but I would like to find something that isn't camo.

I am looking for something that is more subdued like a coyote brown or plain olive green. Something that when I go to town I do not stand out so much. Funny. The camo is made for you to blend in but in reality you kind of stand out at times.

Red Wing likes this.
  2. Swampdog

Swampdog Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Check out 5.11 Tactical brand clothing, they make trousers for hot weather that are made of rip-stop cotton/polyester material.
    I wear them down here in the heat and humidity of Florida and find them to be very comfortable, they are well made and come in a variety of colors.
    Shop around and you can find them for sale sometimes.

3. crewhead05

crewhead05 Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Duluthflex dry on the fly is great for summer. Light but still pretty tough. http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/product/mens-duluthflex-dry-on-the-fly-cargo-pants-71700.aspx

If you go this route be sure to check which material you are getting. For me the different names of the duluth material can get a bit confusing. I did a breakdown of it in another thread.

Original Firehose: 100% 11.5 oz cotton canvas
    Duluth Flex firehose: 8oz cotton canvas/ 3%spandex
    Dry on the fly pants: 100% 5.6 oz nylon
    Duluth Flex Dry on the fly: 4.7 oz nylon canvas weave. 97% nylon/ 3% spandex
    Duluth Flex sweatstop firehose: 8.4 oz cotton canvas. 72% cotton/ 28% coolmax

Each of these materials is offered in pants and shorts in multiple configuarations (cargo pants, carpenter, 5 pocket etc)

beacon, Harper, 2Scoops and 3 others like this.
  4. Edgeman

Edgeman Scout

Blog Posts:
    For summer hiking or backpacking, I buy the thinnest, lightest "hiking" pants I can find. I think I have Columbia and Ex Officio pants now. I'll wear heavier (5.11 or BDU) pants the other three seasons.

5. Haggis

Haggis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I sure do think of my pants as armor against thorns, thistles, abrasions, biting insects, hot sparks, sun, and chilling cool evenings. Reckon I'll always wear the heaviest cotton/canvas pants I can bear in summer.

Heard a young BWCA fella say once that he could always tell a rookie canoer, as they're the ones not wearing lightweight, quick dry, canoe pants. Chalk me up as rookie for life.

Red Wing likes this.
  6. Red Wing

Red Wing Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I stayed up til 230am looking for a good pair

7. Red Wing

Blog Posts:
    Thats funny you mention that. Last Oct we did an RRG trip and one of the guys onky looked at the lows in the 40s not the highs in 70s and wore his canvas fleece lined pants. After the first hill we had to rest for an hour and a half before he could walk, couldnt carry his pack and had to do the rest of his hike in his undies. No lie.

I barely notice my cuts or scrapes I might get, but I HATE a chapped ass and thats what cotton always did to me on ruck marches.

Haggis likes this.
  8. Haggis

Haggis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Too funny! Like I said though, I wear the heaviest I can bear,,,

Red Wing likes this.
  9. Red Wing

Blog Posts:
    Lol right?! And Im sure you look at the whole forecast and not just the overnight lol

Haggis likes this.
  10. hlydon

hlydon Scout

Blog Posts:
    I was just in a Duluth store yesterday checking out the pants. They looked to be of great quality, but I don't need them at the price of $60. I buy LA Police Gear Urban Ops and the regular Operator pants. I think the Urban Ops pants are a lighter weight material than the regular Operator pants. The Urban Ops are my go to pants for summer. Both pants are about $20.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/lapg-sh...41.394449503.1497540408-1471411487.1475801062

HP500 and Haggis like this.
  11. snapper

snapper Guide

Blog Posts:
    If you're still looking for inexpensive, quick dry pants, I'd encourage you to check out the Campmor catalog. They will have a sale section that consistently offers nylon shirts & pants; sometimes even zip-offs. Other than a couple pair of North Face & LL Bean nylon pants I've been able to get on sale, the ones from the Campmor sale section work just as well. I have a couple of pair that are 10+ years old at this point and still going strong. I wear them while out backpacking, paddling and into the early fall/late spring seasons.

If you're interested, Campmor's website can be found here: https://www.campmor.com/?gclid=CjwK...T40ChDgOHr9IBToNtU8wav77T2rPSbiKEkBoCfLXw_wcB

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

12. Riverpirate

Riverpirate Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My local army navy store has Rip Stop BDUs in lots of colors. Pretty much what I wear all the time.

13. Elgin

Elgin Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I second the Duluthflex dry on the fly that crewhead05 linked to above. I have a few pairs, and they have been great.

I agree that they are pricey, but sign up for their email list, and you can save a ton. They just had those same pants for 40% off last week.

Harper and crewhead05 like this.
  14. MHW

MHW Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have said it before, and cannot say it too much . . .
    Dickies, wide leg. loose fit. Can be rolled up, and they just don't feel hot in humid weather.
    They don't alas, have olive drab, but do have brown and khaki.

15. Harper

Harper Guide

Blog Posts:
    Another fan of Duluthflex.

These are the most comfortable pants I own.

You can probably get 30% or more off in a couple of weeks during the 4th of July sales.

Interestingly enough, I don't care for the way the short wear.

16. Seeker

Seeker Woods Bum Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    My preference is for a top end pair of Columbia or TNF ultralight zip offs, but I refuse to pay for them... so they remain on the "I'll maybe get them as a gift someday" list.

I wear Proppers (similar to 511s) that I get for about $25 at a local surplus store. They're ripstop and kinda heavy, like the "lightweight BDUs" (but that's still way heavier than the ones I mentioned above). I do a lot of mods to mine, stuff like hemming them about 5" high, subdividing most of the pockets, installing dummy cord anchors, that kind of thing. I'm pretty sure I did a thread on it, but since I can't find it in the past 2-3 years, maybe I just mentioned it in someone else's thread. Regardless, they're excellent woods pants.

17. haunted

haunted Guide

Blog Posts:
  18. Nemir

Nemir Tracker

Blog Posts:
    For summer in the city is like pants Urban Tactical Pants (UTP) Helikon-Tex®: 60% cotton, 37% polyester, 3% spandex.

[​IMG]

19. sniperbait1

sniperbait1 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I like a carpenter style work pant I've got carhartt and dickies I just bought a pair of de Schmidts from tractor supply and I like them slot they're a little bit lighter weight than my dickies and the fit good. I sprayed some permethrin on them and it's what I work in every day.

20. Terasec

Terasec Scout

Blog Posts:
    i have dickies and levis work pants
    65% poly/35% cotton
    I like the fabric , really like the levis fit and comfort, do not like the dickies fit for movement
    I also really like my boyscout uniform pants, great material and great fit, if i can find them at better prices i would get more

21. HP500

HP500 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I just bought 3 pairs of these. They were fine for a 5+ mile hot weather hike last weekend and I don't like the heat. The bottoms tie so they kept the ticks off of me too.

22. tleek

tleek Scout

Blog Posts:
    Rei Sahara pants were on clearance last time I was in. I bought some years ago that were clearances out. They are very thin and cool but have held up well.

I just bought some Columbia outlet PFG convertible pants. They are really thin too and meant for fishing so I am not sure how they will hold up in the woods, but they should be ok for at least a while.

I think some of the high end hunting brands like first lite, Kuiu, etcmake summer weight pants also, but I am not sure.

I wear 511 taclite pros to work sometimes and they are pretty thick. I don't like them, but they are also a little big for me so it might be different if they didn't feel like they were sagging all the time.

23. geebob

geebob Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I wore 5.11 tactical pants in the past, I have two pairs: one is a cotton pants and the other is a nylon ripstop pants. Nowadays I don't wear them anymore.

Now I wear either an LL Bean Cresta convertible pants made of light weight and quick dry material or a Berghaus aiglun quick dry pants. They're light weight, cool and don't look like a military or tactical pants. Really love them.

24. crewhead05

crewhead05 Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
  25. Billswfl

Billswfl Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Depending on the temperature I wear Kuhl Ramblr shorts or Kuhl Revolvr pants. Both are comfortable, light and fast drying.

26. Ranger99

Ranger99 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    fwiw- your local wally world has ripstop 100% cotton o.d. " bdu" pants in the wrangler
    brand for $20.00
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wrangler-Men-s-Rip-Stop-Cargo-Shorts/14542025?variantFieldId=actual_color

i have 2 pair of these and they're pretty comfortable. i don't know if they shrink because i line dry my britches.
    another fwiw- i also wear dickies poly cotton work pants quite often. they're fairly lightweight, but pretty
    tough also. i got the ones i have at the dickies outlet in ft.worth, but there are a lot of places that sell dickies
    work clothes.
    one last fwiw- i wash all my britches and any other clothing for outdoors wear in sportwash. it doesn't have
    any u.v. brighteners, and is unscented, and as important it doesn't clog the pores of the clothing like some
    laundry detergents can and lets the cloth and your skin breathe better.

Elgin and crewhead05 like this.
  27. ROCK6

ROCK6 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Much depends on location and activity. For drier locations, I’m okay with a cotton or hemp pants. For down here in the Southeast, you really need something synthetic; it’s going to get wet, you just want it to dry fast. To be honest, for summer wear here, I just wear shorts (loved Duluth’s Dryflex shorts this past section hike we just did) and keep a pair of light rain pants it it’s really wet or we’re at high enough elevations that it can cool down quickly after a thunderstorm and stiff breeze.

General purpose, there are several (Propper, Tru-Spec) solid color BDUs in the cotton/nylon mixes where provide both the harder wearing cotton with faster drying nylon/synthetics added in.

Another consideration is open fire use. Most of your real lightweight synthetic pants don’t last around a lot of open fire use. I would rather have a solid color BDU “NYCO” mix in those situations. For faster movement, using a smaller stove, or around mostly wet conditions, I’ll take a lighter pair of synthetic pants.

Some of my favored makes of lighter synthetic pants:

REI

Craghoppers

Railriders

Duluth Dryflex

Marmot

Kuhl

Ex Officio

Outdoor Research

ROCK6