Super Budget Basic Kit(pic heavy)

Discussion in 'General Bushcraft Discussion' started by Stags Crest, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Stags Crest

Stags Crest Crafty McBushcraft Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Alrighty so I built a "superbudget" kit to test out. This kit was built with free stuff, goodwill stuff and great deals I hunted for.
    Here's the overall shot. Let's break it down.
    20190430_203822.jpg First up is all the recycled stuff. Walmart bags for foraging, dryer lint for fire starting a billy-can stove, a foam sleeping pad and two water bottles. 20190430_204036.jpg Next the "dollar or less" items total cost: $3 20190430_204119.jpg Next up is shelter. Total cost: $6 20190430_204123.jpg Next we have our knives. Total cost: $15 20190430_204113.jpg Next we have our haversack. Total cost: $3 20190430_204045.jpg
    Next is a medium weight L.L. Bean jacket Total cost: $5 20190430_204050.jpg The cordage is paracord but I swapped it to dollar tree jute twine(420 yards) so the total cost will be $3 on that and lastly an added but not neccessary item is the OZ trail flashlight I found in the middle of a mud pile in a spartan race. 20190430_204127.jpg
    All prices were rounded up from their real amount to make it easier. Our grand total was $35. Is it perfect? No it absolutely is not. But is it enough to get you going? In my opinion yes. 20190430_204957.jpg

2. Butler Ford

Butler Ford Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    You can go a long way on that $35!

3. SpookyPistolero

SpookyPistolero Slow learner Lifetime Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Love it. Great setup! This is a good race to the bottom.

4. CSM1970

CSM1970 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Question is, how many of us would go to the woods with that kit? I did not see a blanket or sleeping bag.

5. SkipJunkie

SkipJunkie Scout

Blog Posts:
    I think this should be a challenge . Since you did it for $35 we know it can be done . Stipulation should be simple you must purchase the contents of the kit . And list the prices . Obviously doesn't have to be new . And let's see who can do it the cheapest . ????

@Stags Crest

6. Stags Crest

Blog Posts:
    I very much intend to use it as soon as I can get away but with a baby on the horizon I cannot say when that will be. And you are correct, aside from the sleeping pad you have to insulate yourself in other ways. I have used reflectors from a fire and also built insulated "cocoons" from a nylon tarp and natural materials. This is definitely a warm weather set up.

7. Stags Crest

Blog Posts:
    I dig it. Also I truly would like to see some better kits built for less. I had to try super hard to build a kit under $50 that I would take out in the field. I have all manner of gear and am spoiled to it so getting back to a super duper basic necessity level was frustrating as well. This covers the 5cs but not a whole lot else really. And yes I've seen the dollar tree challenges that only use 10 bucks but those always come with huge compromises. I feel like I covered lots of bases here and have gotten decent quality equipment at low prices.

8. Invictvs138

Invictvs138 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Really cool concept - with that kit and some food, you could do a late spring overnight no problem.

9. mtnoutdoors

mtnoutdoors Prov 27:17

Blog Posts:
    Very cool awesome thinking outside the box. Prov 27:17

10. central joe

central joe Wait For Me!! Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Pretty comprehensive kit young fellar. Add a thrift store blanket and you're good to go. joe

11. Stags Crest

Blog Posts:
    Indeed this is a spring and summer kit. Not advisable for winter camping. Although with an added wool blanket it wouldn't be impossible. Just uncomfortable.

12. Glenn Rowe

Glenn Rowe aka Ventura Knife Guy Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Southern by birth; Southern Californian by Choice
    The kit should fit the mission/situation. The depicted kit may not be exactly woods-worthy, but it's way ahead of nothing.

Now that I'm retired I seldom venture more than about 15 miles from home. I live in earthquake country so there's a very real chance that the "ship hits the sand" when I'm not at home,. It's also possible that my trusty old '98 Ford Explorer, and all of it's contained gear, may get squashed or rendered inaccessible.

Therefore I always carry a surprisingly small kit, on my person, that will help me hoof the 15-or-so miles back to ye olde homestead if necessary. It's length and width are about the size of a business envelope, but a bit thicker (pictures to follow). While it doesn't contain everything I might need, it does come close.

-- Glenn

13. bush-hunter

bush-hunter Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    A tarp, a cooking pot and drinking container , knife and metal match, and cordage is bare necessities. Above that is food and the clothes you wear on your journey.

14. CosmicJoke

CosmicJoke Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I can see where this is a great start, and would a great starting point for a beginner as well. Nice thinking on the canopy wall as shelter.

One thing I would add as a must have is some sort of pot to at minimum be able to boil water to make it drinkable.

15. MaximIsayev

MaximIsayev Scout

Blog Posts:
    I’d throw in a dollar store space blanket, it will help on those windy nights

16. fishiker

fishiker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Great setup for the $$

17. Stags Crest

Blog Posts:
    Believe it or not I've cooked ramen in that cookie tin before. Are they ideal? Nope! But the tin can function as a small pan and the lid as a plate. I still on the lookout for a goodwill pot that would work.

18. MrFixIt

MrFixIt Old Jarhead LB#42 Supporter Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    A few years ago there was a challenge for the least expensive kit that involved an overnighter.
    IIRC, one person who won it ended up with 11 cents total into it.
    I'm certain @Winterhorse participated...

19. CosmicJoke

CosmicJoke Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    If I had to I may do the same with the cookie tin. My worry is the paint on the outside, but that's just me.

I'm always sniffing dollar stores for stuff.

The closest thrift stores around me are still a good 20 miles away and aside from the occasional clothing item, they didn't have much in the way of things I could use outdoors. I have two flea markets, but they rarely have anything useful for camping either, and one of them is more like an antique shop and high on prices.

I am always looking for a bargains and or sale items. My latest knife was normally about $100-125 with shipping. I hemmed and hawed enough I found it on Amazon on sale and free shipping, got it for just shy of $45. Same with my last tent, I took long enough to make a decision that when I did it was on sale for $20 lower then original price.

20. SkipJunkie

SkipJunkie Scout

Blog Posts:
    As already stated this isn't intended to cover all unforeseen events . But yes it beats the hell out of a fanny pack and a bottle of water if an incident should occur . And with that all said how many of us go out and carry a full on INCH or whatever you choose to call it kit any how ?

Holtzcraft, S.Decker, Vilke and 12 others like this.
  21. Stags Crest

Blog Posts:
    Burn it first and the paint won't bother anything. You really won't get a long service life from it its just a cheap start. For my regular kit I've got a stainless cook set.

22. Stags Crest

Blog Posts:
    That's wild! I'd love to see the 11 cent kit!!!!

23. Glenn Rowe

Blog Posts:
    Here's what I carry every time I leave the house. The stuff wrapped around the lighter is Hempwick. I use the lighter to light the wick, and the wick to light anything that needs lighting. The black boxy thing in the upper left of the pouch is an excellent Chinese copy of the long-out-of-production Silva Type 27 sighting compass -- many features packed into one small package. The pay envelope contains about $100 in small bills. I always seem to have a water bottle of one kind or another with me, so that isn't included.

Recall that my goal is to get home on foot from no more than about 15 miles away, most of the journey through suburban terrain. (Can you say "Gray Man"? I knew you could!)
    20190501_142319-1.jpg

24. Paul Caruso

Paul Caruso Being all that I am. Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Nice little kit. I would add some drum liners or green garbage bags for shelter and stuffing them with duff for blankets.

Outdoor Time, S.Decker, Vilke and 7 others like this.
  25. MrFixIt

Blog Posts:
    Well, we know you have at least $100 in your kit...what about the rest?
    ;)

26. MrFixIt

Blog Posts:
    I wish I could find it (there were 2 a year or so apart IIRC).
    I’m wanting to say that @Chevrolet4x4s also participated...?

27. polar bear

polar bear Scout

Blog Posts:
    Congratulations, Stags Crest on a great kit. Paul Caruso has a great addition in adding some large garbage bags to it. They make for great temporary tarps. IF you have any hunting buddies or live near a rural area, maybe you could also score a few burlap feed bags.

28. Stags Crest

Blog Posts:
    Absolutely on the garbage bags. I tried to stay with stuff bought individually so I could itemize it more accurately. I've slept under a garbage bag shelter before and they do the job. The sun wall in this kit is actually pretty amazing. It's plenty big enough and I was surprised at how waterproof it was.

29. Glenn Rowe

Blog Posts:
    Here's the list of what's actually in my tiny kit:

CUTTING TOOL

After a lot of research and experimentation I selected the Leatherman Juice CS4. Mine is an older, well-maintained model that I bought on eBay. To be honest it does – sorta-kinda – fall victim to the ‘doing-too-many-things’ admonition. I would never trust my life to it in a wilderness setting. But for this situation, so far, it has performed admirably. You see, it gets used at least three times each week. It’s not inside the kit but out where I can quickly access and use it. That usually means the knife pocket on my pants.

COMBUSTION

I carry three fire-starting methods. First, I carry a Bic lighter wrapped with Hempwick ™. Hempwick is literally a wick made of beeswax-coated hemp. I can use the wick as tinder, but I commonly use the lighter to ignite the wick and then use the wick to ignite my tinder. This greatly extends the life of the lighter.

Second, I also carry a small ferrocerium rod that I can use in combination with the can/bottle opener on the multi-tool to create lots of large, very hot sparks.

The third method is a simple Fresnel lens. That's it you can see in the "back" of the pouch. It's in a red sleeve.

COVER

The cover I have chosen is an inexpensive disposable plastic poncho. I got mine from Saraglove.com. It isn’t much, but if used with care it should get the job done. It certainly won’t attract much attention. I also carry a heavy-duty lawn-and-leaf bag. Dave Canterbury talks about using 55-gallon drum liners. I think this may be an effective substitute. Besides, it’s what I have.

CORDAGE

My low-profile/high-mobile strategy won’t require much cordage, and none of it needs to be high strength. Therefore, I carry a package of waxed dental floss.

COTTON

I always carry one super-large (28” by 28”) bandanna. Like the multi-tool it is in a place where I can quickly grab it, usually my hip pocket. It gets almost as much use as my smart phone and wallet.

CANDLEPOWER

I always carry two sources of light. The first is a tiny-but-bright 3-LED “penlight” that was given to me as an advertising specialty. It rides in the kit. The second is a larger LED light that I picked up somewhere. It also rides on my person somewhere, frequently in the "other" knife pocket. My Tru-Spec pants have knife pockets on both sides.

Lately I have also taken to carrying a small tinned candle. It obviously has many uses.

COMPASS

If you only need a compass for general orientation – finding North, for example – even a child’s toy compass will do. On the other hand, if you need it for overland navigation, a more precise and functional compass is in order. Because my EDC kit must be small AND I may need to engage in a little overland navigation, my choice was easy. For about 35 years I carried and used a Silva Type 27 Landmark compass. The Type 27 is a very-small sighting compass (aka trekking or orienteering compass) that is capable of approximately 2.5-degree accuracy. This is more than enough for my most-likely scenario. Brunton has also marketed this compass as the Brunton 27 LU. Unfortunately, both of them are long-since out of production. They can sometimes be found on eBay, usually at a premium price.

However, all is not lost. Should these very-small sighting compasses suit you, you may be able to find an excellent Chinese copy of the Type 27 on eBay. (The one in the kit is a Chinese copy.) They’re branded as the “Trailblazer Mini-Mapping Compass.” I have experimented rather extensively with them and, generally, their performance compares to those of their elder cousins. They are also getting scarce but they show up from time to time. (And they’re a lot less expensive!)

CASH

In a non-apocalyptic urban disaster, hard cash in small denominations can be extremely useful. Take careful note of the phrase ‘in small denominations.’ Shopkeepers and other vendors may be unable or unwilling to make change. If you need a roll of bathroom tissue and only have a $50 bill, you have a choice to make.

I typically carry about $100 in emergency cash. Though the specifics vary almost daily, my perfect-world mix is six $10’s, six $5’s and ten $1’s. Should the “ship hit the sand” – so to speak – I distribute it (and my kit) around my person to minimize the risk of losing it all to one accident, pickpocket, or mugger.

ADDENDUM

There's something I just added. I'll be in an urban/suburban environment, so will be scrounging water from available sources. Most commercial buildings secure their water bibbs behind "locked" doors in the outside walls.

Enter something known as a silcock key. It's shaped like an automotive cross-wrench but much smaller. Its entire purpose is to open these doors and operate the bibbs.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
  30. bush-hunter

Blog Posts:
    If you buy in bulk dividing how much you got by what you paid and you know what it cost. My wife does this with cereal, meat or anything on sale because sometimes on sale is only advertising.

31. Stags Crest

Blog Posts:
    My wife is like that too. But even if I itemize the individual product I still would have spent the total amount. But you do make an excellent point!

32. Pinelogcreek

Pinelogcreek Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/3Q24BVKJG4JHB?ref_=wl_share

While the price is certain over 35 dollars these are all very inexpensive items that I have personally used in the field with the exception of the backpack. One could certainly scrounge and find most of a kit in their home it they look hard enough From home I would add.

Disposable poncho
    Bic lighter
    Ramen noodles
    Drum liners
    Tape

33. Pinelogcreek

Pinelogcreek Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Not taking my current kit into consideration from home I could take the following and I would guess in most homes you would find the same type goods. I would wager decent comfort could easily be found and a good time could be had for free.

Trash bags
    Disposable poncho
    Matches
    Lighter
    Zip lock bags
    kids old backpack
    Old hickory knife, cardboard sheath
    Builders twine
    Small pot
    Spook and fork
    Flashlight
    Various foods
    Plastic water bottle
    Salt, pepper, bullion
    Spam and ramen
    Adequate clothing
    Wool blanket
    Duct tape
    Tarp from garage
    Coffee filters
    Handkerchief/bandana
    Needle and thread
    Pencil
    Paper
    Toilet paper
    Candle
    Bandaids, gauze etc.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  34. leghog

leghog Guide

Blog Posts:
    Missing at least half of the ten essentials, but especially navigation, insulation/extra clothing, and first aid.

35. Revinmama

Revinmama Scout Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I picked up one of those sun walls at a thrift store a couple weeks ago. It's a pretty decent "tarp" for just a few cents.

Marlene

36. Glenn Rowe

Blog Posts:
    It's hard to say. Much of it was free, came with something else, etc. Not counting the stuff I carry in my pockets anyhow (multi-tool, flashlight, bandanna), my rough estimate is around $15-20.

Things actually inside the zipper pouch -- the lighter was about a buck; the Hempwick was a free sample; the small ferro rod came with a cheap knife that I've long since disposed of, so it's essentially free. The compass lists today for about $8, but I paid less. The fresnel lens came in a 3-pack for under $10. The dental floss was given to me by my dentist at a semi-annual check-up. The disposable poncho was also about a buck; the lawn & leaf bag was on a large roll so I have no idea of the individual cost. The small penlight came free from my friendly local gun store. The small tinned candle was part of a three-pack from Exotac, so it's about $1.35.

My EDC stuff -- the multi-tool cost me about $25 on eBay. The flashlight was part of a much larger package, so its about a buck. And the bandanna is probably about a buck. The bottle of water is about a buck. Figure another $28 to $30.

OH! I forgot the little zippered pouch! I got it at The Container Store and I think I paid about 2 bucks for it. The pouch is perfectly-sized to contain the items, and to slip easily into a cargo pocket.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
  37. Panzer

Panzer Prepared Wanderer Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Greaspot for Walmart is cheap

38. leghog

leghog Guide

Blog Posts:
    Stanco grease pot. $7.50 at WalMart.

39. MAD Punty

MAD Punty Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Really nice work, there!

My observations are as follows;

1. I wouldn't include the jacket as part of the kit. I don't consider clothing part of kit, other than probably gloves, bandanas, and that sort of thing....accessories, I guess.

2. MAJOR SCORE on the shelter! Very nice.:dblthumb:

3. Nice job on the folding knife with the bottle and can opener. I can't quite make out what the other knife is, but alternatively the Old Hickory Butcher knife would be a great budget option for $12, but presents the problem of needing a sheath. A Mora is really too obvious to mention as a cheap option, too...or an Opinel. Carbon Old Hickory knives, Moras, and Opinels can all strike sparks with a flint or quartz, too.

4. The tin is a nice score, but something like a stainless bowl for cooking and boiling water in would be nice to see in the kit. Cans are OK, but they often have liners in them to preserve the contents that is not meant to be heated, and can introduce mild toxins into your food or water if used over a fire. I suspect cookie tins do, too.

5. The multi purpose lighter is fine, but I personally hate those things. They're not reliable. I would like to see some matches, or a lighter in there. I can't say I've never thrown those grill lighters across a yard or into the trash while practicing my colorful language.

6. Add some trash bags. They make decent rain ponchos, emergency shelter, ground tarps, or even mattress if you stuff them with debris. They can also be used to gather water when it rains if you make a bowl out of them. One or two trash bags will do.

Really awesome kit, though. Just offering constructive criticism trying to be helpful.;)

40. Jean

Jean Guide

Blog Posts:
    That was the cost of loin cloth, right.

Holtzcraft, S.Decker, MrFixIt and 2 others like this.
  41. MAD Punty

MAD Punty Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Oh yeah....something like the Harbor Freight wool blankets for $10, or even the moving blankets which you can get for like $5, or oftentimes you can find decent sized fleece blankets for $5 or less.

Good call.

42. oddjob35

oddjob35 Scout

Blog Posts:
  43. S.Decker

S.Decker Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Ummm... I do. It stays in the big truck. I spend 90% of my life, on the road.

44. Seacapt.

Seacapt. Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I go into the Maine woods with a hell of a lot less and if I thought I would have to spend a non winter overnight in the woods I'd just grab a blanket from the attic and shoulder roll carry it.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  45. Seacapt.

Blog Posts:
    I suspect the OP will be test driving his kit in a familiar AO so navigation concerns are moot, as to insulation/extra clothing a prudent woodsman will always start out the day wearing proper clothing based on projected worst weather conditions for the day/week and shed as needed to neck or waist carry and basic first aid can be handled with bandanna/clothing parts for bandaging/compress materials with basic knowledge of medicinal flora.

46. Trojan

Trojan Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Plus a rubble sack and you are sorted for sleeping.

Holtzcraft, Outdoor Time and MrFixIt like this.
  47. MrFixIt

Blog Posts:
  48. leghog

leghog Guide

Blog Posts:
    I suspect many who have found themselves in unanticipated trouble thought the same.

Holtzcraft, Outdoor Time and MrFixIt like this.
  49. bush-hunter

Blog Posts:
    @leghog I believe the seacapt carries a a few magnetic peices with him and any woodsman that doesn't know to dress for the day could find himself in trouble with a loaded pack mule.
    I taken anuff people to the woods I can tell by the way they dress if its there first over nighter it usually starts with open toed shoes, shorts, and a tank top mostly on a August fishing trip before 11 PM they leave cause they didn't know it would get that cold...

50. Seacapt.

Blog Posts:
    And you would be correct, magnetized tweezer (for floating compass needle) in my EDC SAK Hiker and button compass epoxied on my rape whistle that's attached to my EDC necklace. IMG_5723.JPG