Survival Lilly designed her own knife.... YT video uploaded.

Discussion in 'Edged Tools' started by JasonJ, Oct 15, 2018.

1. JasonJ

JasonJ Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    So apparently like all enterprising, young survival YouTube personalities, she's designed her "perfect" survival knife (her words).

Some things before I post the video she updated yesterday to present it. I like the design and shape. Blade length is large for a primary woodscrafting knife, but it'll do like any other would. Not a nimble carver by the looks of it, but seems solid.

Handles look great, even though she talks about having them shaped until they were comfortable for her .... remains to be seen if they are for the rest of us too.

Has a 5.12" blade, is 4.8mm (roughly 3/16") thick. AUS8 steel at 57 HRC. About $125 USD. Made in Taiwan.

Now... she does demonstrate some destruction testing of her prototypes... and it holds up. So they seem to have the hear treat right on the AUS8. Not my favorite for this type of blade (Love it in an EDC folder though). Also, who is "they". Unknown who makes it, but I know Cold Steel has a lot of their AUS8 stuff made in Taiwan... coincidence?

Would have preferred to see this in CPM154, a carbon steel, or better yet, 3V... but I get she was trying to keep the cost reasonable, and make sure that even if it didn't hold an edge for a long time, that it was at least easily field sharpen-able. I can respect that.

Not anything that I'm interested in, although I like the shape of it, handle and blade. It's definitely another option I suppose. Thought that I'd share.

https://www.survivallilly.at/produkt/apo-1-survival-knife-designed-by-survival-lilly/

2. riokid87

riokid87 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Capitalist.
    Update, I like capitalist. Free market all the way baby. Go sell a ton of them and God bless.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  3. JasonJ

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, I think that was the motivation for this. I don't know the backstory, but most "survival types" who make their fame on YouTube, generally do such a thing for the financial gains, not because they see an opportunity to improve a main tool in their segment.

Nothing wrong with being a capitalist... I mean, hey, if people are willing to buy, let them be parted with their cash. I would probably see this as being more of an opportunist than anything.

4. Vanitas

Vanitas Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Hrm I’d be more interested if it was 3.5 or 4” blade but it looks decent... pretty standard design.

Haggis and JasonJ like this.
  5. LostViking

LostViking Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Apocolypse-1 Cracks me up.
    "Why, if I only had Lilly's APO-1, I would have been fine"

Design wise, it doesn't look bad. Aus-8 is what it is. Micarta is nice.

Time will tell.

6. Brew-Jitsu

Brew-Jitsu Mora Tribe #100 Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Looks like Cold Steel to me. Basically an SRK with better finish. It looks nice, but $125 is a bit steep for Aus8. If it were VG10 or 154, maybe!

7. JasonJ

Blog Posts:
    AGREED on all points above. For that price, I want better stainless. OK, maybe the AUS8 being used and heat treated as it is IS strong enough.. but I want that better edge retention too.

It reminded me of the blade on the SRK as well. I still wonder who she got to make these.

I would have chosen a different name as well. She's undoubtedly going to get people teasing about that. I'm sure it'll still sell well to her fans. I'm also sure that it isn't a bad knife, just another one.

8. VtBlackDog

VtBlackDog Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Don't like her.
    Dont like her knife.

Can't wait to see other YouTube experts destroy it.
    :)

9. gargamel77

gargamel77 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Survival, survival ..... not again :confused:. Nonsense !!

Haggis, happywanderer and JasonJ like this.
  10. riokid87

riokid87 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I like capitalist. Everybody's got a knife. Survivor man, bear, ray, and that half breed hatchet "hunted" thing. Even creek fat guys in the woods has a line. It looks like a fair quality knife that will function so more power to her. Cost looks a little high but not extravagantly so.
    Cold Steel 35AN San Mai, Srk Knife $103 on amazon.

11. JasonJ

Blog Posts:
    There aren't nearly enough destruction tests of YT celebrities stuff being conducted by other YT celebrities. Just wait 'til Tanner/PM101 gets his hands on this, or DBK for that matter.

Lilly's videos were better before she got so much more well known. Then it felt like product placement and reviews of stuff she got for free just for the sake of the stuff, not because she was giving an honest evaluation for her viewers' benefit.

One thing about it, it sure is nice to have options available for those who want or need them. That SRK was definitely her inspiration, you can tell. The blade shape is so similar, I'm waiting for the update that says she is being sued by Lynn Thompson and CS.

12. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Meh. Let me know when Vicky Stark designs her own filet knife :D
    ;)

13. riokid87

riokid87 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I kinda like the looks of it and she did put some practical thought into the handle flair. I made a blade based on the bolt knife. The blade shape and grind looks a lot like hers but 5/32 1084, brass finger guard, stick tang, stacked leather or hardwood, substantial pomel, slightly forward leaning blade. I like aus8 and think this knife is probably as serviceable as any other branded production knife offering. I watched a couple of her vids years ago and thought little of them. But I think that knife would work ok.

Staleym, Haggis and JasonJ like this.
  14. Riverpirate

Riverpirate Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Even her hands say she is not a survivalist.

15. JasonJ

Blog Posts:
    Ya know, she said something when talking about designing the strong tip of this knife... that she's broken a lot of tips digging into woods looking for grubs to ear.

WTF man?! Just because you market yourself as "survival" doesn't mean you need to eat like there is no food for 500 miles. Unless you actually NEED to do that, or are demonstrating it for your audience, freaking bring some pork rinds or a box of ramen noodles for lunch.

Unless she actually enjoys the taste and texture of eating grubs... in which case, ew. But I'm pretty sure she could backpack in her own foodstuffs. Just because I could doesn't mean that I should.

Mr Meener and Haggis like this.
  16. wrath0r

wrath0r Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    So do her words in a lot of her videos.

There seem to be a lot of people who want to drag Lily through the mud because she's not what they want her to be. Well, tough. Hike your own hike.

As for the knife, I haven't done the research to comment on it. Nothing wrong with criticizing the knife. But come on, kids. She's a youtuber for a living. She sells some merch. Admit it - you wish you could make a good living from your passion, too.

Swineflu, GoKartz, Staleym and 24 others like this.
  17. riokid87

riokid87 Scout

Blog Posts:
    Destructive test. If a knife chips, rolls, or breaks when you try and drive it thru a granite rock or car hood with a 5lb hammer I don't think that means it's a bad knife.
    If you have to sharpen it 2x to process a deer or if it chips when carving oak then maybe I'd consider something else.
    I think many knives are thicker than needed for function iot take abuse. And thicker generally means less suited for normal knife cutting and slicing tasks and heavier. Jmho

Haggis, Torrin, happywanderer and 3 others like this.
  18. TrespassersWilliam

TrespassersWilliam Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    57 Rockwell?! Maybe 40 HRC would fare better against rock batons.

Haggis, seasonofthewoods and JasonJ like this.
  19. JasonJ

Blog Posts:
    Full disclosure, I only posted to share what I thought was an interesting new product by someone we all know; now whether we all respect her or not.. that's up to each individual, although I would discourage this thread from becoming a bash-fest towards her personally. That would be unacceptable.

And I absolutely would monetize a YouTube channel if I thought it would do me any good. I don't discredit her, or anyone else from making a move like this. Whether it by Lilly, Chris Tanner, Creek (Matthew) Stewart, or even <GASP!> Bear (Edwards) Grylls.

20. boomchakabowwow

boomchakabowwow Guide

Blog Posts:
    good for her!! hope she sells a crapload of them.

now who is she? a youtube star?

Staleym, TomJ, bosque bob and 5 others like this.
  21. boomchakabowwow

boomchakabowwow Guide

Blog Posts:
    hey, you know her?

22. freebirdfb

freebirdfb Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    I‘ll have to watch the later. In the falkniven f1 vid I remember her praising a cold steel knife, don‘t remember which one.

23. riokid87

riokid87 Scout

Blog Posts:
    I'd rather see someone make some coin off their rep with a product that looks like it will deliver than someone just cashing in on scanky gossip like the Kardashian s or a crappy product like the helicopter Lure, really bill?

bosque bob, JohnP, jswi2374 and 2 others like this.
  24. Riverpirate

Riverpirate Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My point was not bashing her. My point is I think someone with more dirt time than her will probably design a better knife. And no that would not be me. If I am going to buy a knife design I want it designed by somebody with more dirt time that me.

colter, JohnP, Haggis and 2 others like this.
  25. Corso

Corso Guide

Blog Posts:
    4.8mm thick? maybe someone needs to buy her a Mora

PeterPNL, Haggis, buckfynn and 2 others like this.
  26. woodsranger

woodsranger Scout

Blog Posts:
    Thanks for posting. I guess she was looking for a survival knife more than a bushcraft knife, with that strong tip and saber grind. Handle looks good, don't care for jimping, blade shape, steel choice or thickness.

Good on her though for knowing what she wants and for doing what it took to make it happen.

bosque bob, Haggis, buckfynn and 2 others like this.
  27. lil'mike

lil'mike Scout

Blog Posts:
    I too would have liked to see a better steel like the CPM154, CPM204 or similar. I really don't need or like the super higher end steels like 3v or similar in my camp knife's as you want it to be easy to sharpen and not prone to chipping in the woods!

It doesn't look like a bad knife though!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  28. JD Miller

JD Miller Scout

Blog Posts:
    Sarcasm I presume

Haggis likes this.
  29. tobiism

tobiism Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I'd rather have an A1 Fallkniven or 3V SRK if I'm spending that much.

Fat Old Man, Haggis, blue333 and 4 others like this.
  30. Area FiftyOne

Area FiftyOne Tracker

Blog Posts:
    If you want a "survival" knife that will take it, take a look at the Entrek 18 Bravo knife. It is 440C that is heat treated properly in the USA and is a tough, tough knife. It comes in a kydex sheath. I like it and have no need for an AP01. HMMPF!

Haggis, buckfynn and JasonJ like this.
  31. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
    As compared to?

Haggis likes this.
  32. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
    What exactly do we - or anyone - know that she actually contributed? (beyond salespersonship)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
    Haggis, buckfynn and JasonJ like this.
  33. arleigh

arleigh Guide

Blog Posts:
    I don't fault some on trying to get into business nor those that entertain on you tube .
    Not every one is a black smith nor has the imagination to go on line and buy all the pre made parts to assemble a knife of their own.
    When I was a kid there were knives a plenty because prepping was not a thing, people did it, but it was not publicized .
    Now that it's a thing the market has opened up for it . look at wall mart , a few years ago they had was half dozen knives, now there are big glass cases full of all kinds of knives.
    I have a friend that buys Damascus knives cheap and resells them for bigger money, Are they real ? I don't know . He may not really know either ..
    The knife market is flooded, and those that are knife savvy are the only ones that care.
    It is my hope that the more people that can carry a knife ,even if it is purely for the sake of fashion, people have something different to show off and talk about .
    Some think the technology is peaked in knife metallurgy , I don't think so . unique design and purpose are yet to be found .
    Bush craft aside ( sorry) I think that a lot of other uses for knives being discovered by the rest of the world will improve the industry.
    So hurray for the girl breaking into the knife business . way to go.

bosque bob, sea6ear, Lee C. and 5 others like this.
  34. riokid87

riokid87 Scout

Blog Posts:
    No, being a capitalist is a good thing.

35. Lars

Lars Angry German Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I like her design better but for about the same price I would definitely get the 3V SRK. Much better steel for "survival".

36. riokid87

riokid87 Scout

Blog Posts:
    No intent to pick a fight here but given any quality knife steel properly heat treated, the blades geometry will impact its performance more than the kind of steel its made of and the geometry, steel, and heat treatment can be selected to optimize it for anticipated tasks.

37. Vanitas

Blog Posts:
    Mora's a nice knives for the money, some people need more though. I use a mora 333 as a machete but if I used one of their other knives for work there is a good chance I'd break it. Again though, this is for work not bushcraft. What I do for work where I try and carry somewhat light and what I use when I'm in the woods for fun are two different things. Not everyone *Likes* a mora though... just take a gander at the tracker action thread. There are merits to a heavier knife also.

Corso, Haggis, buckfynn and 1 other person like this.
  38. JasonJ

Blog Posts:
    I concur. I wasn’t meaning to single anyone out; I also didn't want to give the impression that I was intending to speak ill of her, her experience or her product.

She has more experience and knowledge than I do at this point... Or at least more time spent in the woods and working on skills than I do.

Same here... Aesthetically I don't care for the jimping. Other than that, it's definitely less woods knife and more survival end of the world tool. And that's OK of that's what she set out to do.

From her video above, she seems to have at the minimum contributed the original design perameters, specifications, field test numerous prototypes and possibly even created the sample/test handles.

That's more testing to a bunch of prototypes than most of us do in actual field work with our knives. Lol.

I agree with everything you just said. And I too would rather knives become normalized again in society... Even if that means that they are carried by hipsters as a fashion statement than have nothing at all.

Unistat76, Haggis and PAcanis like this.
  39. Vanitas

Blog Posts:
    It's also almost $200... she is trying to hit a slightly lower market... but imo the terava 140 would fill this role just as well... so would a couple other knives near her price.

40. Ragman

Ragman Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I've got a thing for Lily.

41. riokid87

riokid87 Scout

Blog Posts:
    She designed it for her. And as such probably the best design for her. If dirt time is required for crediblity, woodcock (50yrs a hunter and trapper) thought a belt knife not required or wanted and mors k made his from an old ban saw blade and hockey stick.
    My take on it all is she designed something that works for her and explained why. If you want it cool, if not cool too.
    Personally, I like stick tang leather handles and a bit thinner. But if I had to take that knife only I wouldn't feel disadvantaged

42. southron

southron Guide

Blog Posts:
    She seems to have picked up a "survivalist" boyfriend and he may be having influences on her. that and riding her bushcraft as a marketing tool for the survival knife.

To much BK 2 in a blade like that.

Still I wish her well, and if she is happy not my place to tell her not to be so.

That's freedom for ya, Ain't it?

Haggis likes this.
  43. Vanitas

Blog Posts:
    I think he meant because 3V is acutally tougher and has better edge retention than Aus8. SRK is only $164 compaired to Lily's $130 for Aus8. Though I also like her design better than the SRK as I *hate* tactical black knives.

Haggis, JasonJ and Ragman like this.
  44. JasonJ

Blog Posts:
    Her handle design is really quite nice...much as I can tell without holding it.

Haggis likes this.
  45. Vanitas

Blog Posts:
    Honestly, it reminds me of a certain MP model.

Haggis and Ragman like this.
  46. 45jack

45jack Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I was set to be critical, but after watching the whole video I can see it as a marketable tool. I’m not into the sharpened pry bar and lean towards something lighter.
    Her channel is called “Survival Lily “ not “Bushcraft Lily” so as a survival tool it has its merits. Like the big Beckers, or a Tracker or other big choppers in your survive the apocalypse kit.

bosque bob, Cro, JasonJ and 6 others like this.
  47. Estima8tor

Estima8tor Silverback Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Lilly always has liked her Aus8.
    A saber grind is a good choice for a tough, durable all purpose edge imo.
    I hope it goes well for her.

48. CoolBreeze135

CoolBreeze135 Scholarly Woodsman Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Here are my general thoughts:

1) Good for her! Designing your own knife is something that many of us would love to do. I'm happy that she has this opportunity. The knife community is a big place, and an extra knife on the market is never a bad thing.

2) The design is pretty straightforward. Nothing too crazy and new. Just a standard clip-point knife in the vein of the Fallkniven A1. This is fine by me. I like simple. The handle appears to be designed comfortably. The dimensions are what they are, but not quite my style.

3) The sheath looks very reminiscent of a Cold Steel Secure-Ex sheath. I bet they are made in the same factory. (@JasonJ , I think you are onto something with the guess that these are made by Cold Steel's Taiwan OEM).

4) I understand the desire for a finger guard in a knife handle, but dang! That's quite a guard! Seems like it was built for a tactical/stabby role. I could take or leave it, but it just stood out to me.

5) The steel choice is disappointing. Aus-8 isn't great (acceptable, but not impressive). However, I understand the idea of choosing a budget steel to keep the knife affordable. The unfortunate truth is that this price point is confusing. To me, this knife should be $70 max. Heck, Cold Steel makes a Master Hunter in CPM 3V for about $100, and the new Benchmade Puukko in 3V is $123. This just isn't a great value no matter how you look at it. The knife community has been taking a step in the right direction with the materials : price ratio, but this just seems like a step backwards.

In summary, I won't be getting one. This thing looks too big/thick for my normal use. The value isn't really great considering the steel choice and country of origin. However, if it fits your uses and your budget, this seems like it would be a pretty decent knife. Other than the price, I have no real objections. I definitely appreciate the fact that more and more people are designing knives and bringing them to market. It makes it fun to be a knife buyer/user!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    JasonJ, Haggis, 45jack and 3 others like this.
  49. Not Sure

Not Sure Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I like the way she say's.........Rook-Sack.
    I am happy to see a knife designed from a female point of view.
    I don't think we get enough Women interested in Bushcraft/ Survival.
    Maybe this will will bring more into the fold.
    I was ready to rip her but I think she made some good decisions based on her knowledge base.
    I normally rip on celebrity endorsed products but am going to give her a pass because,
    I like the way she say's Rook-Sack.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  50. Traditionalist

Traditionalist Guide

Blog Posts:
    My thoughts too.

The SRK in AUS8 was around half that price, and the current one in 3V is available for equal money.

An Fällkniven S1 is also priced around this mark.

JasonJ, Haggis, 45jack and 1 other person like this.