Survivorman & son (Last week )

Discussion in 'Preparedness' started by Foulwind, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Foulwind

Foulwind Guide

Blog Posts:
    In the Redwoods, Santa Cruz Mountains, CA.
    Anyone catch the show? They were Kayaking into an Island in BC, and what caught my attention was when Les mentioned that his son had made "Poor decision to bring poor survival equipment" His son, had one of those "Emergency" wire saws maybe a Coghlan's brand? anyhow, he was using it to cut some downed branches for firewood, and the darn wire kept breaking on him, now, maybe he wasn't using it properly, applying too much tension? Anyway, he tried to connect the broken wire and continue to try using it, but it was done, and didn't holed up. He complained that the rings HURT his hand when trying to use it!
    That was the first time I've seen (On TV) the use of one of those wire saws, and I wasn't impressed with it. I have one in my EDC, and will probably never use it now. ( I had my doubts about the thing to begin with)
    Show went on, was is sons 16th B-day, they survived.......

JasonJ and Winterhorse like this.
  2. saveitforsunrise

saveitforsunrise Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Iv seen him bring one maybe twice before same result with each one.

Winterhorse likes this.
  3. dac

dac Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I may be confusing my shows, but I believe Les used one also during an early season of survivor man with similar results.

Winterhorse likes this.
  4. Kodiak333

Kodiak333 Scout

Blog Posts:
    There was another episode of Survivorman can't remember which location, but Les had one of those saws and it broke on him almost right away. Seem like pieces of junk to me.

Winterhorse likes this.
  5. DPW

DPW Tracker

Blog Posts:
    NJStricker, schapm and Winterhorse like this.
  6. Machine27

Machine27 Ridicuously Good Looking Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Hook em up to a stick like a bow saw, then you'll break them a lot less. They're still pretty much junk, even the US made military models.

Winterhorse likes this.
  7. dustinf

dustinf Guide

Blog Posts:
    This.

Winterhorse likes this.
  8. Tick Magnet

Tick Magnet Tracker

Blog Posts:
    agreed

keep the wire as straight as possible...take your time. But like everyone says....it will fail sooner than later.

Winterhorse likes this.
  9. Lookin4lunkers

Lookin4lunkers Scout

Blog Posts:
    Like said above, take your time. I've tried them in the past and it seemed to me like they are able to create more friction than they can withstand. I don't bother with anymore because you can't depend on them for anything bigger than you can break over your knee

Winterhorse likes this.
  10. Burncycle

Burncycle Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Pocket Chainsaw. Lays down flat in a standard tobacco tin too.

11. JTD

JTD Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    JMHO, but if your scrapping gear just coz it didn't seem to hold up well on a TV show, you already got bigger problems than a busted wiresaw.

superpaco, schapm and Winterhorse like this.
  12. aktrekker

aktrekker Guide

Blog Posts:
    I've had the wire saw, it came with a "survival" knife - you know the type. It didn't work.
    I have one of those pocket chain saws, it doesn't work. I got it about 15 years ago, it was an early model, so maybe that's the problem.
    If you want something less than a real saw that still works ok (and better than these portable saws) use a good steak knife. Cuts pretty good, even on treated lumber.

Winterhorse likes this.
  13. Machine27

Machine27 Ridicuously Good Looking Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Nevermind.

Winterhorse likes this.
  14. remington79

remington79 Scout

Blog Posts:
    When I go camping I like to bring this. http://www.gerbergear.com/Outdoor/Gear/Exchange-a-blade-Saw_46036 I have never had a problem using this. It cuts well and is very light weight. I only had to replace the blade a few times but that's normal. Mine is about 10 years old now. I don't know about the sliding saw I have only used the exchange a blade saw.

Winterhorse likes this.
  15. Nickathome

Nickathome Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    The Coghlan's wire saws with the key ring ends are complete garbage. I bought one years ago just to try it, and had the same results as Survivorman. Within a couple of minutes it was broken and rendered worthless. I've seen better ones that Coghlan's also sells that looks more like a chainsaw chain with T-handles that may hold up. Personally I would just toss my $30 Sven saw into my pack rather than buy one of those wire saws. I love my Sven saw. Best $30 I've spent on a camp type saw.

Winterhorse likes this.
  16. Medic17

Medic17 BCUSA Friend Bushcraft Friend Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    I have a Pocket Chainsaw, it works well, I am not sure if I would trade it for my Laplander saw.
    The Pocket Chainsaw may cut through thicker materials but I do believe the Laplanders ability to deploy and stow with ease of use prove to be advantageous over the Pocket Chainsaw.

17. gene stoner

gene stoner Scout

Blog Posts:
    That's why I Carrie a SAK with a saw. It may be small but it gets the job done.

18. sdjsdj

sdjsdj Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Yep, I believe IAWoodsman showed the most efficient way to use a wire saw and "not overheat it". I still think it is worth carrying a bucksaw blade and use it as Mors Kochanski does.
    The pocket chainsaw seems to be a lot of weight and requires the user to expend a lot of calories, but it does have the advantage of being able to be sharpened in the field. I think I would rather carry 2 buck/bow saw blades and make a frame.

19. teb_atoz

teb_atoz Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Those saws have a bad reputation as being crap. There is one made for military that is good but have never seen one.

20. JPWeaver

JPWeaver Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have seen and heard many people complain about wire saws breaking too easily. I have heard and seen many examples of them being used improperly as well.

These are not strong chains with teeth in them - they are wire. Used properly - kept as straight as possible, and pulled through the wood with most of the pressure along the length of the wire and letting the teeth work at their own pace - will yield good results. Misuse will cause breakage - just as with any tool. The only difference I can see is that wire saws are inherently somewhat fragile, so breakage due to misuse is easier than with some other tools.

However, try using a really good, sharp wood chisel as a screwdriver, and tell me if you don't damage and ruin the blade, perhaps irreparably.

No, it isn't a pocket chainsaw. It isn't even a Sven saw. If I had a choice between a Sven and a wire saw, I'd pick the Sven every time. But it's hard to get the Sven to jam into a pocket-sized kit - this is the main strength of the wire saw, it's massively portable, and will pack into a very small kit, giving possibilities for results impossible with anything else.

Use the tool as designed and intended, and don't abuse it, and it will work. Just because some people don't doesn't mean the tool is junk.

TAHAWK likes this.
  21. Jon Foster

Jon Foster Guide

Blog Posts:
    When those things first came out many years ago I couldn't wait to try one. And I bought one, that broke the first time I tried it. I don't remember the exact details anymore but I'm pretty sure it didn't even cut through a stick I found in my backyard.

Jon.

22. jimi

jimi Scout

Blog Posts:
    As others have said, they are fragile and your mileage may vary. I don't keep one in any kit as I always have my Leatherman in my pocket and its saw performs pretty well and can take a beating. SAK saws are good too. As for the Sven saws mentioned, I absolutely love them, and keep one in my pack.

23. MtnManJoe

MtnManJoe Guide

Blog Posts:
    On a sad note, Les posted last week that the reason his son seemed a bit 'off' lately, is that he was/is suffering with severe Leukemia - is doing the Chemo thing (Is in Hospital, not doing all that well)
    Someone can probably link to the post, if y'all care.

24. Exy

Exy Bushmaster

Blog Posts:
    Jesus man.. that kid has been raised like a mormon. If he is getting cancer we are screwed.

Prayers and smoke.. seems like a nice kid.

Not Sure, superpaco and 1911srule like this.
  25. TN_Woodman

TN_Woodman Scout

Blog Posts:
    People love to hate on these saws. Some are better than others, but I don't expect more from them than what they are good for. The first one I owned I broke quickly. I didn't know how to use it and it was one of the woven kind. Years later I thought I would give it another go. I bought one of the spiral ones and played around with if a lot over a weekend. That changed my mine. Toughs work better, I learned how to use them in different ways, and it never broke. I always carry a good knife and saw but I put spiral wire saws in mini back-up kits, because of how small and light they are. They do not replace a good saw, but are way better than nothing.

26. Naturalist

Naturalist Guide

Blog Posts:
    Yup! Saw him break a few wire saws before as well. The concept is good, but (I guess) the quality is not there?

27. hunter63

hunter63 In Memorium

Blog Posts:
    For reference.

From http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/05/06/les-stroud-son-cancer-leukemia-survivorman_n_5274172.html

Well folks I have been dreading this post. First the good news: never fear for the future – there will be much more of Survivorman yet – in all its variations – I will be heading back out in the near future to resume filming. As well I have two new albums in the works due out this year and supported by as many new concerts and appearances as I can get in. (At the moment I am looking at concerts at the Sturgis Bike Rally in ND as well as shows in Minneapolis and St Loius). I’m working on developing the first official Survivorman survival kit as well as updating the Les Stroud knives. However the hardest and saddest news is this: If you have been watching the Survivorman shows this year and you watched Survivorman and Son then you got to briefly know my son Logan. You may have even noticed he didn't quite have the get up and go or enthusiasm that I usually have. We now know the reason. He was diagnosed a month ago with Leukemia AML with a cytogenetic classification of 8:21. He has had his first hit of Chemotherapy and I have been at his bedside for most of this past month. I am going public with this for one reason only. I would appreciate your prayers, your positive thinking and your remote healing and visualizations of him healthy and strong again and able to make more Survivorman and Son shows. Please, I ask for no advice at this point as we are certainly focused on the good doctors at Toronto’s Sick Kids hospital and that is where you can send get well cards and wishes if you feel so inclined. He will be fighting this fight for the next four months. My deepest feelings of empathy go out to those in similar situations. If you had noticed I have not been posting or tweeting as much as usual, now you know why. Thank you and sorry for this kind of news today…Les

Not Sure likes this.
  28. Nickathome

Nickathome Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Sad. I hope all the best for Les's son.

29. teb_atoz

teb_atoz Banned Member Banned

Blog Posts:
    Sad news, but the best wishes to you and your son.

30. Emtdaddy1980

Emtdaddy1980 Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Our thoughts are with you. You've been an inspiration to me in training my own sons.

31. Subdood

Subdood Ex-bubblehead Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Prayers sent for your son, and family.

32. bluedevil

bluedevil Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have watched and loved everyone of your shows and this sad news got to me. I am so very sorry and you all will be in our families thoughts and prayers. Keep us posted and God Bless.

33. sdjsdj

sdjsdj Guide Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    Just a bit of clarification here. I don't think Les actually posted to this forum. "Hunter63", has just copied and referenced Les' statement from another source. I am sure the prayers will still get there though.

superpaco likes this.
  34. hunter63

hunter63 In Memorium

Blog Posts:
    That is correct...... I posted the quote and referenced Les's Face Book posting, with link.

Did find this as well....not verified.,,,FYI

Toronto Sick Kids Hospital

Address: 555 University Ave, Toronto, ON M5G 1X8, Canada

Phone:+1 416-813-1500

And yeah, prayers always get thru.........

MrFixIt and blind & lost like this.
  35. Trust no one

Trust no one Scout

Blog Posts:
    I had one that broke attempting to cut through a cardboard target . I have since purchased a pocket chainsaw it is a much better product

Rare Steel likes this.
  36. Kenneth

Kenneth Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I saw a Survivor man episode once where he used a SAK with a saw and he made the same point.

GOD Bless you and your families

Kenneth

JasonJ and gene stoner like this.
  37. 1911srule

1911srule Scout

Blog Posts:
    Les,
    God bless you guys. Prayers sent...

Rare Steel likes this.
  38. will62

will62 Guide

Blog Posts:
    Mixed results with the wire saw, broke my share before using one as a bow saw. They last longer but will eventually break especially on oak or osage orange. I haven't gotten rid of one from my kit I have it as a backup to the Opinel saw or SAK saw.

39. backwoodstrails

backwoodstrails anatidaephobic Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    Coghlan's makes good toilet seat covers, other than that I have seen a lot of their items fail. Scouts buy that brand because of affordability but every time I am with the scouts I see
    one of the Cohglan's branded items break!

40. Fishrarr

Fishrarr Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Good vibs and healing on the way, all the best.

41. TAHAWK

TAHAWK Guide

Blog Posts:
    BSA Scout Shops sell lots of Coghlan's products.

42. Prairiewolf

Prairiewolf Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Wishing the best for Logan and for Les.