1. Due to the amount of SPAM from foreign countries lately, we have made the decision to manually approve all new members. While we regret that this must be done and the added time that it will take for new members to be approved, it is necessary at this time. We hope to have legitimate new members approved in a timely manner, no longer than a couple of hours. If the Administrators are online at the time, it can be as soon as a couple of minutes. Thank you for your patience.
    Dismiss Notice

Svea 123 question

Discussion in 'Cooking & Water Purification' started by JosephDurham, Oct 12, 2017.

1. JosephDurham

JosephDurham Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Using white gas to prevent from getting soot all over the stove on the svea 123 but I've noticed that I'm getting suet still.

Filling up the reservoir to prime and its burning just fine. Open the valve and it lights just fine, works just like it should. But the soot is getting all over the burner, and the vaporizer stem. Why is that?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  2. JosephDurham

Blog Posts:
    Well, I believe the issue is with the cap. I replaced the original with the svea/ primus pump caps. Well this was causing the flame to hiss on the priming stage and also burn at the cap, around the edge.

I just wiped the suet off, primed it the original way, placing white gas into the priming reservoir......no hissing, nice clean flame, burnt out and lit right up. Also flame was much more even all the way across.

There must be an issue with the stem on the new cap that I have. Frustrating. I bought the primus/ svea pump and cap brand spankin' new last year, original packaging, unopened, $50. Now it appears that it's better without it.

3. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    My burner and stem have soot on them, but I figured it was from the priming flame, not the actual blue flame under pressure.

4. xrayit

xrayit Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I prime all of my Optimus stoves with Heet or alcohol to eliminate soot from priming. Also added some carbon felt to the priming well, keeps the priming liquid close to the stem and eliminates the chance of spilling fuel all over the stove. No Soot on the bell with this method.

IMG_0643.jpg

5. JosephDurham

Blog Posts:
    But I believe that the use of white gas should prevent the buildup of suet, unlike if you were to use gasoline.

I have not tried it again today, yet, but I believe the issue to have been from the priming pump cap. The stove acts differently, much better, with the original cap and being primed normally.

Tangotag, Haggis, isme and 1 other person like this.
  6. xrayit

Blog Posts:
    Rebuilt my Svea last year, bought all of my parts on this site https://classiccampstoves.com . I rebuilt the original cap, the valve had some issues with leakage.

7. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    That's a nice workaround xrayit. Do you still use white gas in the stove itself and just carry two fuel sources?

gohammergo and Tangotag like this.
  8. vdeal

vdeal Scout

Blog Posts:
    Okay, maybe I'm missing something but what are you referring to as suet - maybe soot? Suet is a fat used for cooking and making bird feed blocks. If you are referring to soot what I did with my Svea was to use a little alcohol paste as the primer - this stuff. I even sourced a long nozzle so I could squeeze it in without taking off the windscreen. Worked great. BTW, I never used the pump - completely unnecessary. Also, Colin Fletcher primed his by lighting a used tea bag underneath the stove to expand the gas - I did that some also. No soot there except on the bottom.

gohammergo, Tangotag and xrayit like this.
  9. xrayit

Blog Posts:
    I always use White Gas, I carry a small squirt bottle of Heet for priming, if no Heet is available I use a plastic dropper to transfer white gas to the carbon felt. I bought a lifetime supply of droppers for next to nothing. Keep in mind you need to open the 123 tank every time you fire it up to equalize the pressure from the last burn to get a nice consistent fuel feed. Way overkill but I hate the soot mess in my pack.

IMG_0644.jpg

10. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    Yes, the number one reason I use the fuel itself to prime the stove is the burping process when I suck a little fuel up. It's a good fail safe. Currently I am using a syringe, simply because I can't get a straw to work like some. Everything fits within the stove kit.

11. Tangotag

Tangotag Field Gear Junkie Supporter Bushclass I

Blog Posts:
    White gas, non-pressurized, as a liquid laying in the priming depression will produce a little soot. When pressurized as a gas, white gas it is cleaner burning. This is why many people choose to prime their stove using Methanol a much cleaner burning liquid fuel. If you tried priming using rubbing alcohol you will be back at the sooting issue.

This thread also makes me think of getting suet for my outside bird feeder too.:16:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  12. JosephDurham

Blog Posts:
    My apologies but on my phone it is replacing soot with suet unless I force correct it. I didn't even realize it.

gohammergo, BalsamFur and Tangotag like this.
  13. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    I knew what you meant ;)

14. dang

dang Tracker

Blog Posts:
    #1 cause of problems with sea 123 and other pressurized stoves will be the gasket in the fuel cap. They get hard over time and with the heat and don't seal well. The cap also functions as a pressure release and there is a small spring and tiny rubber gasket in there that can cause problems also. Even if you buy a new cap it could be very old and the gaskets could have hardened. Your best bet is to get new gaskets for your existing cap. Google "the fettle box". they are out of England and sell all these gaskets/ rebuild kits etc inexpensively. Highly recommended.

As was recommended, always open the cap and put it back on before every use to equalize the pressure. Sometimes if it's cold you can warm the tank holding it in your hands for a minute or two and then open the valve and you can get the priming fuel to come out of the jet if you don't have a syringe or similar.

I personally use denatured alcohol when I can to prime because it is cleaner, but sometimes prime with the white gas also.

gohammergo and SmilinJoe like this.
  15. JosephDurham

Blog Posts:
    Well I put the old pumping cap back on the svea and tried it again. I was getting a strong burst of fuel squirting out and it was getting all over the top. Being much more conscious of how much I turned the knob I was able to get it to just trickle down into the primer area.

I lit it and got it pressurized. At this point and time there was soot on it, but I thought to hell with it and just fired her up. Input thewindscreen on and boiled some water to clean the HC Cup

IMG_3065.JPG

Then I decided I'd clean the other

IMG_3067.JPG

When I turned the svea off......low and behold, no soot at all!!

16. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    Good job getting those feet just right to balance a canteen cup.
    I gave up the other night and set a small grill grate on it, lol.

gohammergo and JosephDurham like this.
  17. roadwarrior

roadwarrior Supporter Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    When I was young my Uncle ran one of these when we were backpacking. He is gone but it brings back good memories. Thanks

18. Spork

Spork Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I use alcohol to prime too. A Visine bottle will stow under the cup...If I run out, it can be used to suck gas from the tank.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. xrayit

Blog Posts:
    Spork, whats the set up in the last two picks? I like that windscreen type set up and would love to find one if available commercially.

20. PAcanis

Blog Posts:
    Great idea with the small Visine/squeeze bottle, Spork!

Spork likes this.
  21. Spork

Blog Posts:
    It's an Optinus 88 cookset....much like the SIGG Tourist, but smaller.

Not my video

22. JosephDurham

Blog Posts:
    I think she's running well.

IMG_3070.JPG

I have a video but can't seem to upload it.

23. PeterCartwright

PeterCartwright Guide

Blog Posts:
    Great pics! I've got a mix and match (including some knock-off parts) Sigg Tourist. These windscreen/pot systems elevate the Svea 123 to perfection! What a joy to use!

PC

gohammergo and JosephDurham like this.
  24. xrayit

Blog Posts:
    Thanks... I want one!

gohammergo likes this.
  25. JosephDurham

Blog Posts:
    You mean like this one ....

IMG_3094.JPG

IMG_3095.JPG

IMG_3096.JPG

:D;)

26. Spork

Blog Posts:
    Primus 71 in a Swiss made Gronniger cook set. Giant ring cookie baked in an Optimus mini oven :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. gohammergo

gohammergo Bada Bing, Bada Boom ! Supporter Bushcraft Friend

Blog Posts:
    I really hate that auto correct on these phones!

The cap on my Svea is messed up. It worked great when I got it, but I'll need to fix it.

I have a Radius stove, similar to the Primus stoves. I just hold the tank in my hands for a few minutes and then open the valve and fuel trickles out for priming.

JosephDurham likes this.
  28. Anthonysaudiojournal

Anthonysaudiojournal Scout

Blog Posts:
    I also use a small dropper with a tiny bulb. I open the cap' suck up a little it of white gas and fill the priming well. I light it and turn on the burner just as the flame dies out. Been doing it this way for years and never got any soot.

JosephDurham likes this.