Svea123r from Amazon

Discussion in 'Cooking & Water Purification' started by Adair, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Adair

Adair Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Having read so much about this stove (it was also Colin Fletcher's favorite), I am very tempted to order one from Amazon. I know that the new version is Chinese-made, not Swedish--but, are the differences really pronounced? Also, and I'm ashamed to admit it, the priming process scares me a little. I mean, lighting a flame on top of a gas container? Has anyone ever suffered an explosion or out-of-control fire?

2. Paulyseggs

Paulyseggs Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Love my 123.
    I believe it has a number of safeties built in.
    You can preheat it with your body heat. But I just carry a short length of drinking straw. Then I'll drop some fuel on the base of the burner to pre heat.

@LogCabin he's my goto Svea guy:dblthumb:

Don't run them empty. It'll burn up the wick. And when you first fill it. Let it sit a day or so to fully saturate the wick.

One of the simplest stoves outside of a soda can/Trangia alcohol stove.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    Bobsdock, LogCabin and Haggis like this.
  3. Ithica

Ithica Tracker

Blog Posts:
    I have the 123r and like it fine. I prime mine with priming paste. Some people use alcohol in a small squirt bottle. Others use a straw or eyedropper. Relighting a warm stove can be a bit dramatic. You would not want to do it inside a tent or with your face close to the stove. When the stove fuel reservoir is warm the fuel is under pressure and squirts out of the orifice at a high rate when you turn the valve on too quickly. The stove is simple and bulletproof. You might want to consider using a Trangia fuel bottle which has a safety valve which allows you to pour fuel at a controlled rate. You could safely prime the 123r with the Trangia bottle. I like the Svea 123r better than my MSR DragonFly which requires assembly to use. There is also some fuel spill which is a safety hazard. My priming pump failed after several years and cost $39 to replace.

Bobsdock, Paulyseggs and LogCabin like this.
  4. LogCabin

LogCabin Guide

Blog Posts:
    There have been reports that the latest "Not" made is Sweden have some quality issues. Sometimes the parts do not interchange.

Amazon price ... around a hundred dollars.

MY OPINION.
    I like the oldest Sievert (made) Svea 123 best.
    A little back story. Optimus bought them in 1969 and they became the Optimus Svea 123.
    The Engraving on the parts were stopped first.
    The chain was changed to twisted wire.
    Then a few years later rings were added below the burner bell. (Note these rings)
    Around 1973-74 Optimus started making the Optimus Svea 123R that had a horizontal spindle/vaporizer and a cleaning needle.

$$$$
    Now, for the best value, a Svea 123, with the slanted spindle/vaporizer, made by Optimus, without the rings below the burner bell, generally has the exceptional quality of the Sievert design without the collector value of the Sievert Svea 123 stove.
    They are generally worth about $70 tops. They can be found at flea markets for as low as $5.
    These are the best valued Svea 123.

Order in a nutshell:
    Sievert Svea 123 has slanted spindle and engraving. (1955-1969. There are discussions that it started as early as 1952, but that is based on the printing on the boxes)
    Optimus with slant, without rings, without engraving. (1969-1970/72 ???)
    Optimus with rings ('72 -73/74 ??)
    Optimus 123R (After '73-74)

At some point they started making them in Taiwan.

Ken in NC

Here is an early 1st version of Sievert Svea 123 from the '50s. Note the pin showing in the windscreen window.
    Svea 123 (1).jpg

5. PAcanis

PAcanis Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    I have purchased a few Chinese knockoffs and the quality has been there, but at a much lower price point.
    I wouldn't hesitate to order one off Amazon.

And yes, it does seem to go against our built in safety mechanism to light a fire on top of the fuel canister, but that's its design.

Go for it.
    Report back when you get it.

Bobsdock and Paulyseggs like this.
  6. LogCabin

LogCabin Guide

Blog Posts:
    EDIT:
    The older stove will require that the filler cap gasket and the 'pip' in the cap SRV be replaced. (Safety Release valve)
    That may be more than most people want to be concerned with.
    The explosion is not an occurrence I have heard of. A flame will start at the cap and the pressure will be released and the stove will burn at a very low flame. That I have seen.

My suggestion of the vintage stove has its cautions. But the new Svea 123R you plan to buy from Amazon has the same SRV 'pip' and filler cap gasket that will at some time need replacing.

There is plenty of discussion on the Classic camp Stove forum of this stove. It is a well loved stove. I have a bnch of them.

Ken

Bobsdock and Paulyseggs like this.
  7. anrkst6973

anrkst6973 Supporter Supporter

Blog Posts:
    Gel hand sanitizer makes for a nice priming paste. Convenient container, thick liquid, clean burn, even a pleasant smell while doing so. I've been using it for years. ;)

8. Adair

Adair Tracker

Blog Posts:
    Hey, that's a great idea, and it feels somehow safer to cowardly me...Thanks!

Bobsdock and anrkst6973 like this.